HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OKC Barons 2013/14

Old
10-26-2013, 11:31 AM
Soli
Supervision Required

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Dee View Post
How is Klefa playing?
http://oilersnation.com/2013/10/26/l...-goals-for-okc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Willis
I've been a loud proponent of starting Oscar Klefbom in the minors for a lot of reasons; after all, he didn't play much last year and this is first season in North America so there are all sorts of developmental arguments for giving him AHL ice-time. But if he keeps playing the way he has, he's going to earn a spot with the Oilers.
The latest from Willis. He's covering the Barons this year and is providing much more in depth coverage then an AHL team has ever had. He can be found at his usual haunts (Cult of Hockey, ON, and I think Bleacher Report now?)

Soli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2013, 12:10 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soli View Post
http://oilersnation.com/2013/10/26/l...-goals-for-okc

The latest from Willis. He's covering the Barons this year and is providing much more in depth coverage then an AHL team has ever had. He can be found at his usual haunts (Cult of Hockey, ON, and I think Bleacher Report now?)
Is his opinion based on watching him or "advanced" stats?

10-26-2013, 12:31 PM
Soli
Supervision Required

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Is his opinion based on watching him or "advanced" stats?
How do you think he tabulates the advanced stats?

Old
10-26-2013, 12:43 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
How do you think he tabulates the advanced stats?
By watching him of course however that's wasn't my point which I put across rather poorly. Is his theory based on the advanced stats numbers (ie corsi/fenwick/whatever the new flavor of the month is) that he's seeing after jotting it down and reviewing it. Or because he feels that Klefbom will be able to do things at the next level soon because he thinks the game fast enough and is big enough/strong enough to transition to the NHL game?

Bryanbryoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2013, 12:55 PM
Soli
Supervision Required

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
By watching him of course however that's wasn't my point which I put across rather poorly. Is his theory based on the advanced stats numbers (ie corsi/fenwick/whatever the new flavor of the month is) that he's seeing after jotting it down and reviewing it. Or because he feels that Klefbom will be able to do things at the next level soon because he thinks the game fast enough and is big enough/strong enough to transition to the NHL game?
Who knows. I'd imagine it's a bit of both. Willis is obviously a numbers guy, but the eyes don't lie and he's down there watching them.

Contrast that with what bewbies has said and we have a pretty good correlation between their two reports across players. They do differ on Klefbom. I don't think it's a stretch to say that Klefbom and Fedun are playing some heavy defensive minutes (Willi's zone start data says as much), which may make it more difficult to see Klefbom good. The things we know (skating, ruggish good looks) are there. Turnovers and positiong (what bewbie's is saying) are concerning cause that's not what we've known from Klefbom.

I think it'd benefit Klefbom and the Oilers to keep him down in OKC playing some heavy minutes for as long as we can.

It'd also be trying to give Marincin a push on the PP... try and artificially (or organically!) pump those numbers up.

Old
10-26-2013, 09:15 PM
tiger_80

Quote:
Who knows. I'd imagine it's a bit of both. Willis is obviously a numbers guy, but the eyes don't lie and he's down there watching them.

Contrast that with what bewbies has said and we have a pretty good correlation between their two reports across players. They do differ on Klefbom. I don't think it's a stretch to say that Klefbom and Fedun are playing some heavy defensive minutes (Willi's zone start data says as much), which may make it more difficult to see Klefbom good. The things we know (skating, ruggish good looks) are there. Turnovers and positiong (what bewbie's is saying) are concerning cause that's not what we've known from Klefbom.

I think it'd benefit Klefbom and the Oilers to keep him down in OKC playing some heavy minutes for as long as we can.

It'd also be trying to give Marincin a push on the PP... try and artificially (or organically!) pump those numbers up.
One thing, of concern, that none of the highly touted d prospects seem to be putting up offensive numbers (Klefbom, Marincin). Granted it is still early, but I think we might be disappointed with what they end up in the NHL. Hopefully, Klefbom at least becomes a legitimate top 4 option. I think it's a high order to expect him to become an elite shutdown No.2 guy he was once billed to be. If any of Marincin, Musil, Gernat, Davidson become everyday NHLers, i guess, that should be considered a success given this club's drafting and development.

tiger_80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2013, 09:24 PM
Soli
Supervision Required

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger_80 View Post
One thing, of concern, that none of the highly touted d prospects seem to be putting up offensive numbers (Klefbom, Marincin). Granted it is still early, but I think we might be disappointed with what they end up in the NHL. Hopefully, Klefbom at least becomes a legitimate top 4 option. I think it's a high order to expect him to become an elite shutdown No.2 guy he was once billed to be. If any of Marincin, Musil, Gernat, Davidson become everyday NHLers, i guess, that should be considered a success given this club's drafting and development.
There's only so many way you can leech an assist off of Omark on the farm. It's either get it to Omark or tee up one-timers between yourselves. There's no offense on the farm besides that.

I'll settle for strong defensive from our blueline, that's what we need up on the big club.

Old
10-30-2013, 07:14 PM
oilersrule14

Quote:
There's only so many way you can leech an assist off of Omark on the farm. It's either get it to Omark or tee up one-timers between yourselves. There's no offense on the farm besides that.

I'll settle for strong defensive from our blueline, that's what we need up on the big club.
OKC seems to be in the middle of the pack when it comes to Goals For in the AHL, so not great, but not terrible. Seeing that Larsen has no problem scoring as a blueliner there as well, I'm not sure how far that reason can be used to explain those prospects' lack of points.

oilersrule14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 11:33 PM
NAF
Beauty Fakes

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilersrule14 View Post
OKC seems to be in the middle of the pack when it comes to Goals For in the AHL, so not great, but not terrible. Seeing that Larsen has no problem scoring as a blueliner there as well, I'm not sure how far that reason can be used to explain those prospects' lack of points.
Larsen "has no problem scoring as a blue liner" because he's either playing as a winger on Omark's line and leaching secondary assists there, or playing the point on the first unit power play. (At least, that's how he got 3 or 4 points in the two games I watched so far this season.)

NAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2013, 09:02 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by NAF View Post
Larsen "has no problem scoring as a blue liner" because he's either playing as a winger on Omark's line and leaching secondary assists there, or playing the point on the first unit power play. (At least, that's how he got 3 or 4 points in the two games I watched so far this season.)
Keep this on the down low. If we want to trade him it's better that teams thing he is playing d.

Not saying I want to trade him, but lets keep our options open

joestevens29 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2013, 06:49 AM
VayaConDios

barons have signed Chet Pickard to an AHL deal, he has been assigned to Bakersfield. Ex Pittsburgh goalie Andy Chiodo recently played a game for the Condors stopping 32/34 in a 2-1 loss I wonder where that leaves him.

Bryzgalov
Dubnyk
Bachman**
Labarbera
Brossoit
Bunz
Pickard
Chiodo
Rimmer

Last edited by VayaConDios: 11-09-2013 at 07:00 AM.
VayaConDios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2013, 12:21 PM
Bouch1337

vCash: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by VayaConDios View Post
barons have signed Chet Pickard to an AHL deal, he has been assigned to Bakersfield. Ex Pittsburgh goalie Andy Chiodo recently played a game for the Condors stopping 32/34 in a 2-1 loss I wonder where that leaves him.

Bryzgalov
Dubnyk
Bachman**
Labarbera
Brossoit
Bunz
Pickard
Chiodo
Rimmer
Bunz has been playing well lately... sporting a .946 sv 4 GA in 3 games... 125 minutes only, but through 40 today he has 26 saves on 27 shots...

It'd be nice if he could regain his from that he had in the WHL. I wonder what they are going to do now with labarbera? Waive him? If bunz or brossoit can play at the AHL level its silly to have labarbera and bachmann in the AHL instead.

We certainly can't run 3 goalies in the nhl again

Bouch1337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2013, 12:28 PM
40oz

Horak with his first OKC goal.

40oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2013, 12:51 PM
armandh01

I'd rather Klefbom be awesome defensively and put up moderate or lesser points than the opposite. Lord knows we need some defensive dmen.

armandh01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2013, 12:56 PM
NAF
Beauty Fakes

Listened to the game today because I thought Bryz would get the start. Sounded like a good one. Bunz with a great game. Omark with a "highlight reel" GWG. Lander got one on a breakaway, too. Interested in seeing the highlights.

Anyone know when Bryz is scheduled to get his first?

Old
11-12-2013, 01:01 PM
40oz

Quote:
Listened to the game today because I thought Bryz would get the start. Sounded like a good one. Bunz with a great game. Omark with a "highlight reel" GWG. Lander got one on a breakaway, too. Interested in seeing the highlights.

Anyone know when Bryz is scheduled to get his first?
Sounds like Friday

40oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2013, 01:04 PM
NAF
Beauty Fakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40oz View Post
Sounds like Friday
Cool. It was so weird to listen to a game where the team is down by one in the final minutes and they don't get scored on. That happens?

Old
11-12-2013, 01:20 PM
bewbies

Quote:
Cool. It was so weird to listen to a game where the team is down by one in the final minutes and they don't get scored on. That happens?
The Barons preferred modus operandi is to go up 2 or 3 early, then let the other team back in the game during a 10 minute long gong show sometime in the late 2nd, and then scratch out a game winner in the 3rd.

I swear this is how like half of their games go.

bewbies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2013, 02:41 PM
AlowlyOilersfan
Comrade

vCash: 177
Slick move by Omark.

AlowlyOilersfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2013, 02:53 PM
NAF
Beauty Fakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlowlyOilersfan View Post
Slick move by Omark.
Yeah, no kidding.

Old
11-12-2013, 02:55 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by armandh01 View Post
I'd rather Klefbom be awesome defensively and put up moderate or lesser points than the opposite. Lord knows we need some defensive dmen.
I agree to an extent. He still needs to have a good enough first pass to get the puck out of the zone

11-12-2013, 04:09 PM
Brewster

Good to hear Bunz has had a nice stretch. If he has a resurgence and Brossoit plays up to snuff our goaltending depth has the potential to look something other than abysmally terrible.

Speaking of Brossoit, is he slated to share duties with Bunz once Bryz is called up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bewbies View Post
The Barons preferred modus operandi is to go up 2 or 3 early, then let the other team back in the game during a 10 minute long gong show sometime in the late 2nd, and then scratch out a game winner in the 3rd.

I swear this is how like half of their games go.
10 minute gong shows are preferable to the 50/55/60 minute gong shows the Oilers have decided to go with recently.

Brewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2013, 04:19 PM
jukon
#Nailedit

Quote:
Originally Posted by VayaConDios View Post

Bryzgalov
Dubnyk
Bachman**
Labarbera
Brossoit
Bunz
Pickard
Chiodo
Rimmer

I don't know what we are doing with so many goalies. Where will they play?

jukon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2013, 08:54 PM
Petro Points

vCash: 885
Looks like quantity is the solution to all our problems..
Missing top pairing D.. Lets sign 9 depth dmen to one way deals
Missing starting goalie.. Lets trade for one and sign 3 UFA backups.

Petro Points is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2013, 09:25 PM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

I read a tweet today, I think it was Johnathon Willis, and he said that Bunz lost 20 pounds this off season.

I think his first pro season rattled him. He's been much better this year by all accounts, today was his first AHL win.

Groucho is offline   Reply With Quote