HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Cost of youth hockey

Old
12-11-2006, 10:55 AM
Puckboy

vCash: 500
Cost of youth hockey

What is everyone paying for youth hockey travel teams now a days. I know when I was playing 20 years ago it was about a $1,000.00 Just curious how much that has changed.

Puckboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2006, 10:31 PM
DWYZ

Send a message via MSN to DWYZ Send a message via Yahoo to DWYZ Send a message via Skype™ to DWYZ
AAA minor hockey in Ontario is anywere from $1200-1800 to play......weekend hotels, gas money, new equipment, meals for on the road.....probobly runs $6000 when its all said and done....

DWYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2006, 08:09 AM
MikeD

It really depends on a few things such as hours of ice purchased and where(if community or private rink), number of exhibition games, Jerseys kept or returned etc etc etc. Ice at cost is 100 Per hr, prime is at around 175.00 per hour. Total upwards of 140 hours of ice in a season gives a total between 15,000 and 20,000 in ice bill alone. Tier I League and Association fees average another 700-750 per season at the Pee Wee level. This increases to close to 1400 at the midget level.

So far from Mite to current at the Pee Wee bracket, my youngests has been 1300.00 US per season. This doesnt include equipment, travel costs, meals, Hotel, fuel etc etc etc. My best guess as far as total season costs for a 20 league game season and another 15 exhibition(not allowed to call them scrimmage!) is close to 3500 per year.

MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2006, 01:56 AM
Ri hards

Wow. . .registration costs between $300 and $500 CND depending on age in the BC association I played for a few years ago. Keep in mind this covered 1 1 hour practice time and 1 1.5 hour game time, one tournament, jerseys are returned, and anything beyond this is collected seperately.

I'd guess for Bantam to Midget Rep, the cost would be around $1500 for extra icetime and other supplements. Gas would pump that up a lot too.

Ri hards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2006, 01:59 AM
Ri hards

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
Ice at cost is 100 Per hr, prime is at around 175.00 per hour. Total upwards of 140 hours of ice in a season gives a total between 15,000 and 20,000 in ice bill alone.
Most Community Associations have a deal with the city-owned arenas for subsidized ice costs. Generally it's anywhere from 50-60% off. Extra ice on top of that however is generally the commercial rate you've quoted.

Private club associations have their own ice, so the cost is moot.

Ri hards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2006, 08:33 AM
MikeD

thank god they do have these deals. Early in the season, before the town rink is iced, we purchase ice from Leisure Rinks. Town ice is 100 per hour while the private rink cost is nearly double. IF we had to pay the higher rate season long the bill would be staggering. The ice bill alone would be around 1700 US per player and that wouldnt include ref fees.

Gas...I dont even want to go there. Its a 50 to 60 minute drive one way for practice. Games can be as far as 3 hours one way.

Old
12-14-2006, 11:38 AM
Grave77digger

This is what kills me, I have a young son who i hope will play hockey in the future. You look at these league fees and realize why its no wonder that hockey is a niche sport. The average family cant afford to pay these rediculous prices. In Canada everyone can play hockey and in the US its a rich kids sport. If USA Hockey was really interested in expanding the sport in the US they should find a way to make the game more affordable for the average family. The really sad part is that even though I could afford to have my son play I would not beable to afford to have another sibling play and quite possibly I would have to quite MY adult leagues.

Grave77digger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2006, 10:13 AM
MikeD

many times siblings get a reduced rate. Canadian hockey is no less expensive. I know of many many parents of Candian goalies who couldnt afford the gear and fees. That is one of the reasons I started a private fund to aid select individuals with league/travel costs or to purchase gear. With level of play not a criteria, Over a 7 year period the fund distributed a tad over 67G with the majority of those grants going to Canadian goalies. Most of the costs associated with the game are unavoidable. As far as USA hockey goes the registration fee which also covers yearly insurance is currently 36.00, I believe. The only way for USA hockey to do anything about it would be to raise those registration fees. I for one would not want to see that jump to much higher level to subsidize other players. Hockey is unlike any other sport. Ice costs a large amount of money. I wished it was as inexpensive as the ODP and travel soccer he plays in the "off-season". Soccer is all of 75.00 in fees. Equipment a couple hundred more. ODP soccer is just 120.00 and he already has the gear from travel soccer....I just pray he never wants to start doing the international soccer "things". Then it gets crazy! lol

Many teams will run a variety of fund raisers. Those that participate can seriously reduce thier costs. On-line you can find many fund raising "gimmicks" of one kind or another. I know of one parent that purchased red/white/blue wrist bands like the "live strong" band for Lance Armstrong. She purchased them at 1.00 each, sold for 2.00. The online source then matched any sales with 1.00 for every two that she sold, once she reached 200.00 in sales(100.00 in purchase of wrist bands). Between a beer bash/chinese auction/ raffle, and her individual efforts her childs cost was totally covered.

In the end, with a little faith and a love of the game, all things tend to work out positively. Myself, I just like to be told what the bill is and pay the price. I am not rich by most any's standards. I dont do the morning coffee at Hortons(saves $600-$700! annually), Dont purchase the sandwich out of the vending machine at work for lunch, Sell a few things here and there on ebay for a nice profit..etc etc etc. If there is a will there is a way with out feeling the pinch very much.

For a Tier III travel player costs are significantly lower. Tier III can be as low as 400.00 Per Season. There will be reduced games, exhibition and practices but its a great place for many to start their kids.

Last edited by MikeD: 12-15-2006 at 10:19 AM.