HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Who here is cheering for the Cardinals?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-24-2013, 07:57 PM
  #26
BlueDream
Registered User
 
BlueDream's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 7,393
vCash: 500
I'm a Blues fan through and through. Watch every game, etc.

Used to be a big fan of the Cardinals, but have lost interest over the years. But I'll still support them.

I support the Rams too, but not as much as the Blues either. It's tough because they haven't put a good product on the field in 10 years, but losing football in St. Louis would absolutely suck.

BlueDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2013, 08:15 PM
  #27
MattyMo35
Moderator
Schwartz Be With You
 
MattyMo35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: St. Louis, MO
Country: United States
Posts: 7,818
vCash: 500
Baseball is actually my favorite sport

I definitely understand the criticism of the game, but I still love it.

Hockey is a very close second, football a distant 3rd, basketball and soccer not even on my radar. I'd honestly rather watch golf

MattyMo35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2013, 06:29 AM
  #28
JustOneB4IDie
Everyone Overpayment
 
JustOneB4IDie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: St. Louis MO
Country: United States
Posts: 3,410
vCash: 500
Blues 1000% Fanatic

Cardinals 100% Fanatic.

Rams 0% Fanatic, I'll wait and see if they even stay here odds are about 50/50% and a decade of non winning seasons will do that.

Now about those weird beards on the Red Sox players, they all look like Amish Mennonites

JustOneB4IDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2013, 07:08 AM
  #29
Alklha
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 8,097
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedinBlueSince1972 View Post
Blues 1000% Fanatic

Cardinals 100% Fanatic.

Rams 0% Fanatic, I'll wait and see if they even stay here odds are about 50/50% and a decade of non winning seasons will do that.

Now about those weird beards on the Red Sox players, they all look like Amish Mennonites
The chances the Rams leave St. Louis are nowhere near 50/50.

Kroenke was key in bringing the Rams to St. Louis and the team has actually been pretty profitable. The money issues in the recent losing years is more down to the fact that they continued to spend $20m+ more than the likes of the Bills to field teams that they realistically knew weren't competitive.

In order to move to LA then Kroenke would have to pay $1billion+ in a relocation fee to the League. That doesn't even touch all the other costs he'd have to pay on top of that. He could build a stadium out of him own pocket in St. Louis for less than just the relocation fee.

The media can keep pumping the tyres of an NFL team in LA, the NFL love that they do it because it gives their current teams plenty of leverage when it comes to negotiations with current cities. If it was really seen as viable then we would already have the Los Angeles Chargers.

Alklha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2013, 09:40 AM
  #30
SirPaste
Registered User
 
SirPaste's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: STL
Posts: 7,720
vCash: 245
If any team moves to LA its gonna be the Jags, they literally have to tarp over whole sections of their stadium so it doesnt look so empty. That said, none of the owners will vote for a team to move because of the expansion fees they will all be paid when another team gets added to the mix, not saying im a fan of adding more teams but the money that each exisiting team gets for that is rediculous

SirPaste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2013, 12:28 PM
  #31
Steve Doan
RIP Oscar
 
Steve Doan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Eureka
Country: Tuvalu
Posts: 10,010
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyMo35 View Post
Baseball is actually my favorite sport

I definitely understand the criticism of the game, but I still love it.

Hockey is a very close second, football a distant 3rd, basketball and soccer not even on my radar. I'd honestly rather watch golf
Really, MattyMo35 is a baseball fan 1st? Wouldn't have guessed that, but I share the same feelings. Granted, growing up in a town like St. Louis makes it much easier to be a fan of baseball. If I lived in any other city hockey would be tops on my list.

Steve Doan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2013, 12:34 PM
  #32
Steve Doan
RIP Oscar
 
Steve Doan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Eureka
Country: Tuvalu
Posts: 10,010
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDream View Post
I'm a Blues fan through and through. Watch every game, etc.

Used to be a big fan of the Cardinals, but have lost interest over the years. But I'll still support them.

I support the Rams too, but not as much as the Blues either. It's tough because they haven't put a good product on the field in 10 years, but losing football in St. Louis would absolutely suck.
If we lose the rams(I don't think we will) we would be only the second north american city to lose 2 teams from the same league, the other being Atlanta.

Steve Doan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2013, 12:35 PM
  #33
Dolph Ziggler
#TeamZiggler Captain
 
Dolph Ziggler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: St. Louis, MO
Country: United States
Posts: 9,737
vCash: 380
Yeah I've always thought I was born and raised in the wrong town. Hockey is my first love, baseball is a distant third and politically speaking I'm pretty much different from most everyone i meet

Dolph Ziggler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2013, 12:36 PM
  #34
Dolph Ziggler
#TeamZiggler Captain
 
Dolph Ziggler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: St. Louis, MO
Country: United States
Posts: 9,737
vCash: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by We're Doan Here View Post
If we lose the rams(I don't think we will) we would be only the second north american city to lose 2 teams from the same league, the other being Atlanta.
Los Angeles has lost 3 NFL teams: The Chargers, Raiders, and Rams

Dolph Ziggler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2013, 12:50 PM
  #35
Steve Doan
RIP Oscar
 
Steve Doan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Eureka
Country: Tuvalu
Posts: 10,010
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falco Lombardi View Post
Los Angeles has lost 3 NFL teams: The Chargers, Raiders, and Rams
Chargers weren't in the NFL then, but your point still stands.

Steve Doan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2013, 01:17 PM
  #36
BlueDream
Registered User
 
BlueDream's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 7,393
vCash: 500
LA does not deserve another team. But I agree if they get one it should be the Jags.

BlueDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2013, 03:50 PM
  #37
Bluesman91
Registered User
 
Bluesman91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 4,926
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyMo35 View Post
Baseball is actually my favorite sport

I definitely understand the criticism of the game, but I still love it.

Hockey is a very close second, football a distant 3rd, basketball and soccer not even on my radar. I'd honestly rather watch golf
Now it's not to sound like a dick. But what aspects of baseball make it a favorite for you over hockey? I know you said it's close but I'm just curious behind diehard baseball fans reasoning of why it's a good sport. I try and try to watch it but I always end up getting so bored in about 2-3 innings time.

Bluesman91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2013, 04:56 PM
  #38
JustOneB4IDie
Everyone Overpayment
 
JustOneB4IDie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: St. Louis MO
Country: United States
Posts: 3,410
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alklha View Post
The chances the Rams leave St. Louis are nowhere near 50/50.

Kroenke was key in bringing the Rams to St. Louis and the team has actually been pretty profitable. The money issues in the recent losing years is more down to the fact that they continued to spend $20m+ more than the likes of the Bills to field teams that they realistically knew weren't competitive.

In order to move to LA then Kroenke would have to pay $1billion+ in a relocation fee to the League. That doesn't even touch all the other costs he'd have to pay on top of that. He could build a stadium out of him own pocket in St. Louis for less than just the relocation fee.

The media can keep pumping the tyres of an NFL team in LA, the NFL love that they do it because it gives their current teams plenty of leverage when it comes to negotiations with current cities. If it was really seen as viable then we would already have the Los Angeles Chargers.
Uh... Uh... Uh... I never said the Rams were going to move back to LA...

Anyways, most of their bloggers are from so cal anyways

The Rams future here is cloudy for a dysfunctional franchise that does not have a clue on how to draft, sign free agents, etc... No one knows what Kronkie is thinking so everything is pure speculation.

JustOneB4IDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2013, 11:42 PM
  #39
MattyMo35
Moderator
Schwartz Be With You
 
MattyMo35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: St. Louis, MO
Country: United States
Posts: 7,818
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesman91 View Post
Now it's not to sound like a dick. But what aspects of baseball make it a favorite for you over hockey? I know you said it's close but I'm just curious behind diehard baseball fans reasoning of why it's a good sport. I try and try to watch it but I always end up getting so bored in about 2-3 innings time.
I like the strategy; the game within a game. The way the catcher calls the game, the choices the manager makes throughout the game, and the execution of each play. AL baseball, with the DH, is not nearly as enjoyable to me because much of the strategy is removed. It's basically just sit around and wait for a home run. NL baseball is where it's at.

Again, I totally understand the criticism. It is an incredibly slow game, but I don't mind it. It's only going to get slower too, unfortunately. That will drive a lot of fans out of the game. Not many people are willing to commit 3 and a half hours on a game.

MattyMo35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2013, 11:59 PM
  #40
Celtic Note
Not in Ferguson
 
Celtic Note's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 8,807
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyMo35 View Post
I like the strategy; the game within a game. The way the catcher calls the game, the choices the manager makes throughout the game, and the execution of each play. AL baseball, with the DH, is not nearly as enjoyable to me because much of the strategy is removed. It's basically just sit around and wait for a home run. NL baseball is where it's at.

Again, I totally understand the criticism. It is an incredibly slow game, but I don't mind it. It's only going to get slower too, unfortunately. That will drive a lot of fans out of the game. Not many people are willing to commit 3 and a half hours on a game.
This is why I like baseball. That an a dominant pitchers command of the ball. There is something impressive about that.

I like hockey even more because it blends mental and physical grit, with the tactical .

Celtic Note is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2013, 01:58 AM
  #41
Bluesman91
Registered User
 
Bluesman91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 4,926
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyMo35 View Post
I like the strategy; the game within a game. The way the catcher calls the game, the choices the manager makes throughout the game, and the execution of each play. AL baseball, with the DH, is not nearly as enjoyable to me because much of the strategy is removed. It's basically just sit around and wait for a home run. NL baseball is where it's at.

Again, I totally understand the criticism. It is an incredibly slow game, but I don't mind it. It's only going to get slower too, unfortunately. That will drive a lot of fans out of the game. Not many people are willing to commit 3 and a half hours on a game.
Now see that's what I don't understand. Everything in baseball is basically constant other than pitching changes and and pitches thrown. You have set positions, set batting order, set bases you have to run. What choices could a manager make that could alter how the game is played, other than pitching changes to stealing bases or trying to pick someone off. I'm sorry if I'm asking too much and clogging up the forum so feel free to PM if you'd like. I'm just trying to understand where a lot of my friends are coming from when they say they enjoy baseball so much and how there's so much to it when I just can't see it.

Bluesman91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2013, 04:58 AM
  #42
bluesfan94
#BackesforSelke
 
bluesfan94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: St. Louis
Country: United States
Posts: 8,625
vCash: 500
I try to watch every Blues, Cardinals, and Arsenal game. I follow the Rams and other soccer teams. This obviously doesn't include college athletics. I will say that living as I do now in Arkansas, it's much easier to watch the Cardinals than the Blues, both during the regular season but especially now, when the Cardinals are in the playoffs

bluesfan94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2013, 04:59 AM
  #43
bluesfan94
#BackesforSelke
 
bluesfan94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: St. Louis
Country: United States
Posts: 8,625
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by We're Doan Here View Post
If we lose the rams(I don't think we will) we would be only the second north american city to lose 2 teams from the same league, the other being Atlanta.
You could include New York here, as well, as they lost the baseball Giants and the Dodgers.

bluesfan94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2013, 06:43 AM
  #44
Alklha
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 8,097
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedinBlueSince1972 View Post
Uh... Uh... Uh... I never said the Rams were going to move back to LA...

Anyways, most of their bloggers are from so cal anyways

The Rams future here is cloudy for a dysfunctional franchise that does not have a clue on how to draft, sign free agents, etc... No one knows what Kronkie is thinking so everything is pure speculation.
Sorry, assumed you meant LA because that is where 99% of the rumours end up!

The Rams have lease issues, so the future is always a little cloudy under those circumstances. Kroenke is a businessman, so he is always going to leverage the potential to take the team elsewhere to the city when it comes to getting the best deal possible to keep them here. Given the family ties to Missouri and the insane cost of relocating, it would be very surprising if he considered moving the team before every avenue had been exhausted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesman91 View Post
Now see that's what I don't understand. Everything in baseball is basically constant other than pitching changes and and pitches thrown. You have set positions, set batting order, set bases you have to run. What choices could a manager make that could alter how the game is played, other than pitching changes to stealing bases or trying to pick someone off. I'm sorry if I'm asking too much and clogging up the forum so feel free to PM if you'd like. I'm just trying to understand where a lot of my friends are coming from when they say they enjoy baseball so much and how there's so much to it when I just can't see it.
When to hit & run.
Bunting.
Batter-pitcher match-ups.
Double switches.
When to sacrifice offense for defense.
You defensive alignment for each batter and in different situations.
Pitchouts.
Intentional walks.

Then so much of it is based on certain situations; like the number of outs, who is due up in the line up, whether the base runners are fast, what point of the game it is etc.

I don't think you can really compare baseball to hockey or the NFL, I think the approach of the spectator is completely different. When it comes to attending games I'd rather go to an Blues game, Cardinals second and the Rams a distant third. Hockey is fast paced and the speed of play keeps up with that. You go to see a regular season baseball game and it is a day out relaxing, yeah it is slow but you expected that. NFL is is meant to be a fast, hard, exciting game that has 30-50 second breaks between plays, then the reviews that take longer than they should and an insane amount of advert (why is it after a score the kickoff is sandwiched by 2 blocks of ads?). It is somewhat acceptable on TV, but it is largely boring in person because it doesn't really suit the style of the game.

I get that people find it boring, I'd really wish that MLB would do more to increase the speed of play. Wacha is great to watch because he pitches at a really good pace. But slower play is creeping into more and more sports now (tennis in particular ).

When it comes to baseball on TV, I watch most of the Cardinals games through the season but I don't think I'd be able to sit down and give each regular season game my 100% attention on TV for 3 hours. I have the game on and know everything that is going on, but I'm still doing statistical work or on the internet or whatever. Different to how I'd watch a NHL, NFL or even a soccer game on TV.

Alklha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2013, 08:03 AM
  #45
bluesman11
Robert Johnson
 
bluesman11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 777
vCash: 500
I wish it was easy to answer the questions you all have, but I recommend that you find someone that really knows the game and is willing to go over situations while a game is being played.

The art of pitching and hitting are just two aspects of the game, they're very important and take a lot of detail to explain. Then there's base running, positioning in the field, and game situations. Each one of these topics can go into great amount of detail depending on the situation.

Then it all depends on execution, which may seem basic but there really isn't anything that's easy about baseball, these guys are just that good and they make it look easy. Which I understand could make the game appear boring to some, but like I said earlier "there's a lot going on when nothing's happening." The game is played between the ears and you really have to watch it the same way, because every situation is different.

Then you take the playoffs where the pressure is ratcheted up quite a bit, that's what makes these guys make mistakes. Game two was one of the most intense games I have seen in awhile and it came down to execution on a handful of plays.

You have to be serious about wanting to learn the game because you can't cover everything in one game.

bluesman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2013, 05:11 PM
  #46
DeuceNine
Wall of Shame
 
DeuceNine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Stymieville
Country: United States
Posts: 403
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falco Lombardi View Post
I grew up in a household dominated by baseball so it was always shoved down my throat and quite honestly the fanbase is kind of irritating.
The fanbase is 98% of the town so that's a tough one to deal with

DeuceNine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2013, 05:44 PM
  #47
sbet1998
Registered User
 
sbet1998's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,420
vCash: 500
Im 50-50 Cards/Blues. Ill be watching the Cards more closely tonight for obvious reasons.

I get why people think baseball is slow. For me it isnt unless a guy like J.P. Howell is on the mound. It grows on you if you give it a chance. Theres a certain build-up you learn to appreciate between pitches with the strategy and the situational hitting/pitching.

Regular season games against a lousy team can be boring if there is nothing to gain just because there are so many games. With the Cards being the best team in the NL this season with a bunch of flame throwing rookies,.. I found it to be a lot of fun.

sbet1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2013, 08:59 PM
  #48
SteenMachine
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Fenton, MO
Country: United States
Posts: 4,153
vCash: 500
I can appreciate what the Cardinals bring to the sport and to the game every night, but baseball I'll never appreciate. Certainly not enough to call myself a real fan.

SteenMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2013, 10:19 PM
  #49
canadiancreed
Exiled from paradise
 
canadiancreed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Canadas Black Hole
Country: Canada
Posts: 610
vCash: 500
Personally baseball season is usually done around the time the CFL starts/blue jays start folding up shop, but any team that prevents the vaulting of Farrell as being this tactianal genius is aces for me.

canadiancreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2013, 12:58 AM
  #50
CitizenSnips
TheFightingMongooses
 
CitizenSnips's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: St. Louis
Country: United States
Posts: 403
vCash: 500
I do not cheer for the Cardinals (born and never left St Louis)

I get so irritated with the fans here who blather on about how great they are (the fans that is) and how great of a franchise they have and blah blah blah. It gets really old!! I do not dislike the players in any way, just the people here have turned the "Cardinal Nation" into something that leaves a terrible taste in my mouth.

I do not want them to lose, but I do not care if they win. I haven't watched any Cardinals game if at least 5 years. I just nothing them.

CitizenSnips is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:21 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.