HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2014 NHL Entry Draft Part 1

Closed Thread

Old
10-27-2013, 03:48 AM
AJMHABS
25days!! New life

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
We'll likely need another winger with size in the prospect pool.
And a defenseman with top 4 potential.

Old
10-27-2013, 08:36 AM
BrimStone64

Keeping track of Habs draftee Jeremy Gregoire, I noticed teammate Alexis Vanier is putting up some impressive numbers this year. This is first year he has shown any numbers and is small sample size, but could be a guy to keep eye on this draft year.

Old
10-27-2013, 09:10 AM
S Bah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
Drafting a good C should be our priority, unless an high profile D is available.
Always a good plan drafting another Center especially now the best one (Bournival) from Hamilton is with the Habs. Without good depth in the system it dries up and leaves the Habs vulnerable to bad trades in the future. Defence it seems will also be needed really soon or the same thing will occur within two years. Using the deft touch TT and Bergevin have at the draft table is paramount in any success. The Habs, while they haven't been this close in two decades, still need too stockpile as many draft choices as possible.

The 2014 draft is beginning to look a lot like Christmas and grabbing onto any 1st, 2nd or 3rd round picks when the team gets healthy, is the astute move incumbent upon our GM and every other GM, let's hope it's ours that makes the right choices.

Old
10-27-2013, 11:10 AM
That

I predict that Petes centre Eric Cornel will start getting mentioned in this thread very soon. The former third overall pick in the OHL draft had an awful rookie year last season, but something clicked this season. He's tied for first in Petes scoring with Nick Ritchie with 12 points and has taken a massive step up this season. At 6'2", he's got a good frame, but his best quality is his vision. He's just a terrific playmaker and he can make some incredible passes.

Cornel still has a ways to go though. There's a lot he has to improve upon (skating, physicality, defence, etc.) as he is quite raw, but there's lots of good tools there. Probably third rounder or so right now, but there's a very good chance he'll rise up the rankings.

Old
10-27-2013, 06:29 PM
S Bah

Quote:
Originally Posted by That View Post
I predict that Petes centre Eric Cornel will start getting mentioned in this thread very soon. The former third overall pick in the OHL draft had an awful rookie year last season, but something clicked this season. He's tied for first in Petes scoring with Nick Ritchie with 12 points and has taken a massive step up this season. At 6'2", he's got a good frame, but his best quality is his vision. He's just a terrific playmaker and he can make some incredible passes.

Cornel still has a ways to go though. There's a lot he has to improve upon (skating, physicality, defence, etc.) as he is quite raw, but there's lots of good tools there. Probably third rounder or so right now, but there's a very good chance he'll rise up the rankings.
I have already mentioned Eric on the last page of this thread and believe he would make a great draft pick as we speak here. He's only going to improve with the experience gained playing in the OHL, the OHL being the acknowledged best Junior league in the world.

Brendan Perlini's play this year has been outstanding offensively, there are many good if not great draft picks available this season IMO. The 2014 Entry Draft could rival last year for depth, I'm thinking at this point well into the 3rd round with the possibility of many in the early 4th round by the end of the year.

The quality in the 1st round improving already but not yet close to last season's top fifteen or twenty. Only time can tell that story, but many power forwards coming out of this draft LW's in abundance, and character being the strong suit of high end players.

When it's apparent the draft is strong in one type or position like this, sometimes players like Daniel Audette are overlooked. Perhaps Timmins et al can steal another like Lehkonen last year, or a defenceman like Middleton in the 2nd. Wherever the Habs finish there should be quality players into the 3rd and they will take the BPA.

Old
10-30-2013, 09:24 AM
WestIslander

Move up and pick up Nick Ritchie, this kid is 6'3" and 235 pounds at 18, he is compared to Rick Nash and Milan Lucic, being projected to be a top six forward and to go in the top 10 to 12 picks.

Imagine him on the right wing with Pacioretty and either Galchenyuk or Eller! WOW!!! Plus McCarron is another big body that would be on the top six or top nine.

Old
10-30-2013, 10:11 AM
BrimStone64

Quote:
Originally Posted by S Bah View Post
I have already mentioned Eric on the last page of this thread and believe he would make a great draft pick as we speak here. He's only going to improve with the experience gained playing in the OHL, the OHL being the acknowledged best Junior league in the world.

Brendan Perlini's play this year has been outstanding offensively, there are many good if not great draft picks available this season IMO. The 2014 Entry Draft could rival last year for depth, I'm thinking at this point well into the 3rd round with the possibility of many in the early 4th round by the end of the year.

The quality in the 1st round improving already but not yet close to last season's top fifteen or twenty. Only time can tell that story, but many power forwards coming out of this draft LW's in abundance, and character being the strong suit of high end players.

When it's apparent the draft is strong in one type or position like this, sometimes players like Daniel Audette are overlooked. Perhaps Timmins et al can steal another like Lehkonen last year, or a defenceman like Middleton in the 2nd. Wherever the Habs finish there should be quality players into the 3rd and they will take the BPA.
How's his skating? I ask because guy his size, putting up 2 points per game in the Ohl and rated late first gotta be more to it.

Last edited by BrimStone64: 10-30-2013 at 08:03 PM.
Old
10-30-2013, 10:18 AM
MXD

Ehlers vs Karabacek tonight.

Old
10-30-2013, 07:57 PM
MXD

Ehlers is a great diver, lol.

Ehlers is... darn quick, shifty and nimble. Great skating. Just not TOO sure about the reminder of his skillset. Really noticeable by his skating. I would go as far as to say he's, at worst, a top-3 skater in the Q.

Last edited by MXD: 10-30-2013 at 10:22 PM.
Old
10-31-2013, 11:06 AM
S Bah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mats86 View Post
How's his skating? I ask because guy his size, putting up 2 points per game in the Ohl and rated late first gotta be more to it.
His skating while not elite is certainly more than adequate, he projects as a power forward with good shooting and playmaking abilities. He drives the net, protects the puck with his long reach and loves the physical play as required of potential power forwards. He has already moved into 1st round consideration with his excellent start to the early OHL season and continues to move up. Perhaps not making Team Canada's U/18 this summer explains his late 1st round positioning, it's definitely not due to his size, skating, shooting or playmaking he's a 1st line LW in Niagara with a good work ethic. He's grown an inch this summer and now tips the scales at 203 lbs., Brendan will be pushing Nick Ritchie for top LW in the 2014 Entry Draft next summer.

Old
10-31-2013, 06:17 PM
S Bah

It's my hope that the Habs manage to swing deals for an extra 2nd & 3rd round picks the lower the better of course. This would help position them to regain the depth on defence they will be missing after Tinordi, Beaulieu, Bennett and Thrower all graduate in the next 3-4 yrs. There are many good defence draft prospects available that have signed letters of intent for good College programs. Below are some that I believe could be available to the Habs in the late 2nd and 3rd rounds:

Hunter Warner - RD - 6'3" - 202 lbs. -Minn/Mankato
Ryan Mantha - RD - 6'5" - 225 lbs. - North Dakota
Jack Dougherty - RD - 6'1" - 187 lbs. - Wisconsin
John MacLeod - RD - 6'1" - 200 lbs. - Boston U.
Ryan Collins - RD - 6'5" - 202 lbs. - U. of Minn.
Josh Jacobs - RD - 6'2" - 196 lbs. - Michigan State U.

Jack Glover - LD - 6'3" - 193 lbs. - U. of Minn. - IMO Glover will be 1st rounder by the end of the season.

Other than Glover no pun intended the rest of these prospects will finish their 4yrs. in College giving the team drafting them 6 years to mold them into NHLers. A huge bonus for a team like the Habs with depth on defence in their system, thus the Habs can develop players like Thrower, Deitz, Bennett and Didier and not be forced to rush them into their lineup.

There are other prospects such as Middleton, Neill, Vanier, Lysenko, Honka and many others with great promise playing defence in the CHL teams, as well as a number of good Euro's Mattson and Bergman two Swedes with promising play. Things look great for the Habs again this year with lots of depth in all positions, particularly at Center and LW Power Forwards.

Old
10-31-2013, 07:27 PM
Draft

I've seen Audette a couple times now.... Oh boy he's got talent. If he can even get to 5'10/'11 he'll be a really special player. The biggest issue would be how his game translates to the NHL, I think he can make the switch though, he's an intelligent player.

Old
10-31-2013, 08:32 PM
S Bah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft View Post
I've seen Audette a couple times now.... Oh boy he's got talent. If he can even get to 5'10/'11 he'll be a really special player. The biggest issue would be how his game translates to the NHL, I think he can make the switch though, he's an intelligent player.
Daniel is a chip off the old block as they say, with that in mind I still recall many times Donald Audette was a thorn in the Habs side while playing for the Buffalo Sabres. The elation of the Habs finally having Audette play for them in 2001 - 2003 was special, a player that always gave 100% and still after injuries to his knee. A performer extraordinaire, that despite his diminutive size battled in all the hard areas and never cheated either the fans or his team. On those merits alone, if Daniel continues perfecting his game the way he is now, it's a safe bet IMO to draft him and help him develop into a NHLer wearing the Bleu, Blanc et Rouge of the Habs. A player the Quebec fans and Hab fans everywhere will appreciate.

Old
11-01-2013, 10:15 PM
Grant McCagg

Quote:
Originally Posted by MXD View Post
Ehlers is a great diver, lol.

Ehlers is... darn quick, shifty and nimble. Great skating. Just not TOO sure about the reminder of his skillset. Really noticeable by his skating. I would go as far as to say he's, at worst, a top-3 skater in the Q.
Fifth in league scoring...next rookie is 26th. His skillset is fine....more than fine. His passing skills in particular stand out in addition to his skating...no one else on Halifax looks like a good puckhandler when compared to Drouin, but he's above average in that department too.

Old
11-04-2013, 09:16 AM
WestIslander

I am sold on Nick Ritchie, this kid is going to be good, if not him then a defenseman like Haydn Fleury, 6'2" and over 200 pounds left defenseman.

Old
11-04-2013, 09:58 AM
odishabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestIslander View Post
I am sold on Nick Ritchie, this kid is going to be good, if not him then a defenseman like Haydn Fleury, 6'2" and over 200 pounds left defenseman.
Haydn is a righty

Old
11-04-2013, 10:44 AM
MonkeyBusiness

Quote:
Originally Posted by odishabs View Post
Haydn is a righty
Actually, Fleury is a lefty.

Last edited by MonkeyBusiness: 11-04-2013 at 12:23 PM.
Old
11-04-2013, 12:57 PM
Nitehowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyBusiness View Post
Actually, Fleury shoots on the left.
Looking forward to watching Red Deer's Fleury- D and Bleackley- C/RW tomorrow against the Blazers

Old
11-04-2013, 03:14 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant McCagg View Post
Fifth in league scoring...next rookie is 26th. His skillset is fine....more than fine. His passing skills in particular stand out in addition to his skating...no one else on Halifax looks like a good puckhandler when compared to Drouin, but he's above average in that department too.
Some games he outshone Drouin but then again Jo hasn't been the superstar this season.

Old
11-04-2013, 06:40 PM
FlyingKostitsyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestIslander View Post
Move up and pick up Nick Ritchie, this kid is 6'3" and 235 pounds at 18, he is compared to Rick Nash and Milan Lucic, being projected to be a top six forward and to go in the top 10 to 12 picks.

Imagine him on the right wing with Pacioretty and either Galchenyuk or Eller! WOW!!! Plus McCarron is another big body that would be on the top six or top nine.
Rick Nash and Milan Lucic are extremely different players so what exactly is he supposed to be like?

Old
11-04-2013, 07:21 PM
That

Nikolay Goldobin is having quite the year. Struggled at first, but now has 17 points in 9 games. Such an exciting player to watch, him and Chucky on a line would be ridiculous to watch. He doesn't really fill a need or anything, but he could be the BPA in the mid-first round IMO.

Goldobin is super shifty and has absolutely incredible hands. But despite his awesome tools, he plays a pretty straight forward game. Goes to the net and the corners, but the best part is definitely his puck skills, absolutely fantastic. Plus he's shown the ability to step up in big games. Size is a concern, but he certainly doesn't look undersized anymore, merely average. At this point his lack of consistency and defensive game are his biggest concerns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingKostitsyn View Post
Rick Nash and Milan Lucic are extremely different players so what exactly is he supposed to be like?
More of a Nash than Lucic, in my opinion. He's got significantly better puck skills and is better skater than Lucic. With that said, he's certainly not the pugilist or physical specimen that Lucic can be.

Ritchie is my number ranked forward out of OHL prospects for the draft, I'm really high on him. No doubt that the past month has been tough for him. He's been incredibly undisciplined and has just 5 points this month. Missed the last couple games due to the flu, too. I'm not losing hope in him though, players with his skill set don't come along often.

Old
11-04-2013, 07:25 PM
MXD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant McCagg View Post
I tempered my enthousiam regarding his skillset because he didn't show it THAT much during that game (... or maybe I just didn't notice it).

I obviously never intended to say his skillset was average

Old
11-05-2013, 01:20 PM
odishabs

1st Round: Jack Glover

2nd Round: Ryan MacInnis

Pacioretty - Galchenyuk - Gallagher

De La Rose - Eller - Collberg

Hudon - Pepin - McCarron

MacInnis - Bournival - Crisp

Tinordi - Subban

Emelin - Glover

Beaulieu - Thrower

Price

Fucale

Old
11-07-2013, 01:06 AM
Jabba11
Hockey Lobby

Kasperi Kapanen is a guy that I would take before Daniel Audette. Kapanen will be the best Euro prospect this year when it's all said and done. Even better than Nylander IMO.

Kid has everything, except size lol

Old
11-07-2013, 04:09 PM
le_sean

Is Aaron Ekblad soft? I see his size and PIMs and the first thing I think of is Jay Bouwmeester. While it's not a bad player to be compared to, he's always left us wanting more.

Closed Thread