HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Get a center!!!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-11-2006, 09:45 PM
  #1
Long Sky
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country:
Posts: 114
vCash: 500
Get a center!!!

All the fans can see we still need a center! Mtl. radio show hosts, newspapaer writers and I suspect even the Canadiens players know we need a center. So, the big question is Who? Should it be a rental guy for this year or someone who can be around for a few years?
RENTALS[LIST][*]Sakic Forsberg Datsyuk Lang Fedorov
Keepers[LIST][*]Lecavlier Marleau Naslund
Any of these guys would help. I just want some opinions on who and at what cost?

Long Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2006, 09:50 PM
  #2
AH
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Woodbridge, ON
Country: Pakistan
Posts: 4,877
vCash: 500
Original topic.

AH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2006, 10:00 PM
  #3
Long Sky
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country:
Posts: 114
vCash: 500
unoriginal topic

Sorry for the topic. I meant, if we all see it, why does it seem that the Canadiens have not tried to make a deal. Its possible they try, but for the fans the second line needs a boost. I would like to see some others centers in that spot. They need some production soon.

Long Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2006, 10:02 PM
  #4
GoHabsGO252006
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 953
vCash: 500
Naslund isn't a center

GoHabsGO252006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2006, 10:08 PM
  #5
KILLger
Registered User
 
KILLger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,670
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to KILLger Send a message via MSN to KILLger
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHabsGO252006 View Post
Naslund isn't a center
... and Marleau isn't going anywhere.

I want Higgy and Grabs tried out before we make a trade...

KILLger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2006, 10:08 PM
  #6
vcx*
 
vcx*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Penguins Fan
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,783
vCash: 500
Isn't Lapierre a centreman?

vcx* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2006, 10:19 PM
  #7
JMMR
Registered User
 
JMMR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Kingston
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,352
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to JMMR Send a message via Yahoo to JMMR
And Federov is not a rental.

JMMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2006, 10:20 PM
  #8
Dan K
HFBoards Partner
 
Dan K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,176
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Dan K
Quote:
Originally Posted by XXXX View Post
Isn't Lapierre a centreman?
Yes, but not a 2nd line one. Unless you've been reading the Lapierre thread for too long.

Dan K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2006, 10:24 PM
  #9
Jakomyte
Registered User
 
Jakomyte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,130
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Sky View Post
Sorry for the topic. I meant, if we all see it, why does it seem that the Canadiens have not tried to make a deal. Its possible they try, but for the fans the second line needs a boost. I would like to see some others centers in that spot. They need some production soon.

How do we know that management hasn't tried? Would you rather we pull the trigger on ANY deal just because 'we all see it'? I'm sure that Gainey/Gauthier know exactly what our needs are and will address them if the right trade comes along, but they will not fill one hole only to make another.

You make it seem as though its as simple as "we need a player for position X, so tomorrow we'll trade for one". This also wouldn't be nearly as frustrating a thread if the topic hadn't already been beaten to death with a football helmet full of cottage cheese....

Jakomyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2006, 10:28 PM
  #10
habsfan44
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,142
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakomyte View Post
How do we know that management hasn't tried? Would you rather we pull the trigger on ANY deal just because 'we all see it'? I'm sure that Gainey/Gauthier know exactly what our needs are and will address them if the right trade comes along, but they will not fill one hole only to make another.

You make it seem as though its as simple as "we need a player for position X, so tomorrow we'll trade for one". This also wouldn't be nearly as frustrating a thread if the topic hadn't already been beaten to death with a football helmet full of cottage cheese....
it's funny because it's true !

habsfan44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2006, 11:18 PM
  #11
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!
 
hototogisu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 33,351
vCash: 500
Awards:
You make it sound so easy, as if other teams should be falling over themselves to trade us a center just because we're in need of one.

Trading for an impact player like a second line center is all the more difficult in the cap era. It's a safe bet that Gainey and Carbo are going to exhaust all possible opportunities from within the organization before even thinking about a trade.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2006, 06:27 AM
  #12
WeThreeKings
Registered User
 
WeThreeKings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 35,013
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Yup, totally Plekanec's fault.

Actually, what happened when Plekanec went on the fourth line? Right, he played a lot better. You know why? Because Kovalev and Samsonov need to be broken up. It has been a million and a half games now, let's forget this experiment and find something else.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2006, 06:37 AM
  #13
beowulf
Poster of the Year!
 
beowulf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 36,026
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to beowulf
This is the cap era, you can't just make a trade for the heck of making a trade. Often you are going to have to get the other team to take some salary which will create a hole somewhere else. Sure I would love to see a big number 1 or 2 center come in and kick Sammy and Kovy into gear but not likely to happen anytime soon.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2006, 08:22 AM
  #14
jcpenny
Registered User
 
jcpenny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Montréal
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,878
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KILLger View Post
... and Marleau isn't going anywhere.

I want Higgy and Grabs tried out before we make a trade...
I was thinking of trading Samsonov and make room for Grabovski. A line of Latendresse-Grabs-Kovalev would be nice. This kid has so much talent...

jcpenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2006, 08:57 AM
  #15
Habitants
Registered User
 
Habitants's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,168
vCash: 500
why have we not made a move yet? because higgins has been injured, and he could potentially play the role without making a move..

has any team in the nhl made a significant trade yet?
and trust me there are teams which are and were more desperate than our 4th place habs..
leafs loosing 7, ottawa at the beginning of the season, philly?!, columbus?
none of those teams that should have made trades have made any real moves yet

the nhl has changed, there will be no trades before mid january, its not easy to deal players anymore. for that matter you can forget everyone on that list except lang, because the chance of hte others gettgin traded here are very little..

be patient, lets not get too worried while we are still in 4th place

Habitants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2006, 09:47 AM
  #16
Mikhail Grabovsky*
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: at your girlfriends
Country: Canada
Posts: 335
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Yup, totally Plekanec's fault.

Actually, what happened when Plekanec went on the fourth line? Right, he played a lot better. You know why? Because Kovalev and Samsonov need to be broken up. It has been a million and a half games now, let's forget this experiment and find something else.
I've told you at least 1 million times not to exagerate !!!

Mikhail Grabovsky* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2006, 10:12 AM
  #17
eddy
Registered User
 
eddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,673
vCash: 500
I'd really like the team to wait until Higgins comes back before making any changes, which is what I think there doing. If Higgins comes back and we can make some adjustments and get the top 2 lines scoring then theres no need, however if were still having problems with particularly Kovy and Sammy's line then a trade is needed. But I wouldn't pull the trigger on any deal until Higgins is back into the mix.

eddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2006, 10:12 AM
  #18
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis
 
Blind Gardien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Four Winds Bar
Country: France
Posts: 19,608
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Sky View Post
All the fans can see we still need a center! Mtl. radio show hosts, newspapaer writers and I suspect even the Canadiens players know we need a center.
I think the standings say we don't need a center.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2006, 10:45 AM
  #19
Habitants
Registered User
 
Habitants's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,168
vCash: 500
it's not we NEED a center, more rather we NEEED to break up the russian duo. i liked the look of the lines carbo had with
Ryder Koivu Kovalev
Sammy Plek Lats
etc

i think we should roll with that.
and i do feel that plekanc is not a second line center, so higgins should play that spot and then pleks can play the 4th. if they try that, we may not need to make a move, which is why they are still waiting.
why they are waiting to break up the russina duo? well that is another question!

Habitants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2006, 10:54 AM
  #20
Fozz
Registered User
 
Fozz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 6,390
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
I think the standings say we don't need a center.
Exactly!

16 - 8 - 5 ... 37 points ... 4th in the East with games in hand on the closest rivals.

All that without a productive 2nd line!

Fozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2006, 11:05 AM
  #21
Habitant#1
Registered User
 
Habitant#1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Brisbane
Country: Australia
Posts: 1,364
vCash: 500
Does anyone else feel we'd be a solid contender if we sacrificed a bit of future for a top center? Although you could argue that if the second line gets going we could already be a contender.

You might not even need to sacrafice that much either. Take Lecavalier for example (an example): yes, you'd lose some if not alot of youth, but he's still signed for a couple years and odds are he'd resign here. Add a rental D and you've got yourself a strong contender, possibly for a few years!






*Cough*
Ryder + Plekanec/Kost +1st for Lecavalier. Dump Niinimaa/Samasonov to clear cap space.
*Cough*

Habitant#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2006, 11:07 AM
  #22
Dan K
HFBoards Partner
 
Dan K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,176
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Dan K
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habitant#1 View Post
Does anyone else feel we'd be a solid contender if we sacrificed a bit of future for a top center? Although you could argue that if the second line gets going we could already be a contender.

You might not even need to sacrafice that much either. Take Lecavalier for example (an example): yes, you'd lose some if not alot of youth, but he's still signed for a couple years and odds are he'd resign here. Add a rental D and you've got yourself a strong contender, possibly for a few years!






*Cough*
Ryder + Plekanec/Kost +1st for Lecavalier. Dump Niinimaa/Samasonov to clear cap space.
*Cough*
Yes, I feel adding a really good center would make us a good contender. But you're not gonna get a Vincent Lecavalier for an underperforming goal scorer, a decent prospect, and a first round pick.

And yes, I realize stuff happens. Like the Thornton trade. But it's not realistic to say just do that and we'll be a contender. That stuff doesn't happen often, and shouldn't at all.

Dan K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2006, 11:25 AM
  #23
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis
 
Blind Gardien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Four Winds Bar
Country: France
Posts: 19,608
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habitant#1 View Post
Does anyone else feel we'd be a solid contender if we sacrificed a bit of future for a top center? Although you could argue that if the second line gets going we could already be a contender.
I'll take door #2. We could already be a solid enough contender, without making any moves at all. If we picked up a new center, who's to say it won't turn out just like the Samsonov signing has (so far)? Or worse?

At any rate, I don't think there's any point in lusting after an extremely improbable Thornton-like deal. (At least, no point in verbalizing/postalizing such lusts). The reality is there are some 2nd-tier options with their own question marks, cap issues, or free agency issues who *might* at least be realistically available. Whether the cost to acquire them is worthwhile vis-a-vis our hopes of being a solid contender is debateable, IMO, at least, relative to the extremely low negative impact our center ice situation has had on us thus far.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2006, 11:30 AM
  #24
Habitant#1
Registered User
 
Habitant#1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Brisbane
Country: Australia
Posts: 1,364
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by #11 Saku Koivu View Post
Yes, I feel adding a really good center would make us a good contender. But you're not gonna get a Vincent Lecavalier for an underperforming goal scorer, a decent prospect, and a first round pick.

And yes, I realize stuff happens. Like the Thornton trade. But it's not realistic to say just do that and we'll be a contender. That stuff doesn't happen often, and shouldn't at all.
Yeah, I know, that's why I pre-empted the Lecavalier proposals.

Although if Gainey could pull off a Thornton type trade...

Habitant#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2006, 11:41 AM
  #25
PeteLaframboise
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 220
vCash: 500
What about Jason Allison??? I know he's slow footed but since we have a lot a fast players, maybe we could afford that. He also good at facoff ( major weakness ) and good powerplay guy that goes in front of the net. There must be something i don't know because i don't understand why nobody as signed him yet.

But we can't expect any move coming soon with what happened with Gainey.

PeteLaframboise is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:12 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.