HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Stars Willing to Move "a Contract or Two"

Old
10-27-2013, 11:33 AM
Zrhutch

vCash: 500
Stars Willing to Move "a Contract or Two"

Garrioch says that the Stars have some contracts on the market.

Quote:
The talk is the Stars are willing to move a contract or two. D Alex Goligoski, who has three years left at $4.6 million per-season, was a healthy scratch last week. Former GM Joe Nieuwendyk tried to deal him last season with no success.
Personally, I think they're trying to find a way to get Connauton in full time. He was pretty good on Thursday.

So what would you offer for some of the D contracts on the Stars?

Last edited by JeffMangum: 10-27-2013 at 08:41 PM.
Zrhutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2013, 11:43 AM
x BEUKEBOOM x
Buuuuuuuuuuuk !

Gogo a LD or RD?

x BEUKEBOOM x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2013, 11:59 AM
penguins2946*

Haha I can't believe that Neal and Niskanen for Gogo was actually considered a fair trade at one point. Pens just demolished the Stars on that deal. Hell, Niskanen could have more value than Gogo right now. Probably one of the most lopsided trades in a long time.

Anyway, if Scuderi ends up being out for an extended period of time, I wouldn't mind to take a look at Dailey. I doubt the Stars would move him though.

penguins2946* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2013, 12:02 PM
Horseradish

I'd love Ryan Garbutt to the Oilers.

But you don't want contracts back? Or just not NHL ones?

David Musil?

Horseradish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2013, 12:03 PM
txomisc

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmError29 View Post
Haha I can't believe that Neal and Niskanen for Gogo was actually considered a fair trade at one point. Pens just demolished the Stars on that deal. Hell, Niskanen could have more value than Gogo right now. Probably one of the most lopsided trades in a long time.

Anyway, if Scuderi ends up being out for an extended period of time, I wouldn't mind to take a look at Dailey. I doubt the Stars would move him though.
Well when the trade went down it didnt look fair. Then Goli lit it up in Dallas and Neal sucked in Pittsburgh. That period of time from the trade to the end of the season is the only time it looked like a remotely good trade for Dallas. What a disaster.

txomisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2013, 12:07 PM
txomisc

Quote:
Originally Posted by x BEUKEBOOM x View Post
Gogo a LD or RD?
He has played both in Dallas. He has played LD this season but in the past he has looked better at RD. He needs to be paired with a physical defensive minded defenseman.

Old
10-27-2013, 12:13 PM
XO
Valar Morghulis

Cleary, Samuelsson and Quincey for Goligoski

XO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2013, 12:14 PM
uncleben85
My face is my mask.

Quote:

I know a lot of people at the time were surprised that the Penguins got both Neal AND Niskanen. Neal for Gogo would've been more accurate at that time.

uncleben85 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2013, 12:14 PM
penguins2946*

Quote:
Originally Posted by XO View Post
Didn't you make that same exact offer for Letang?

Old
10-27-2013, 12:16 PM
penguins2946*

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncleben85 View Post
I know a lot of people at the time were surprised that the Penguins got both Neal AND Niskanen. Neal for Gogo would've been more accurate at that time.
Niskanen is weird. Dallas may have traded him too soon, but he was really stagnated there. Being traded to Pittsburgh revived his career. His value when traded was basically none.

Old
10-27-2013, 12:20 PM
Ceremony
Woke up this morning

vCash: 56484
Goligoski to Colorado for ?

I have no idea what Dallas' needs are.

10-27-2013, 12:21 PM
StoneColdGMJN

Quote:
Niskanen is weird. Dallas may have traded him too soon, but he was really stagnated there. Being traded to Pittsburgh revived his career. His value when traded was basically none.
His value was negative. To this day I'm still glad that we got rid of him, as he was well beyond just being stagnated. He was regressing and doing it fast.

StoneColdGMJN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2013, 12:23 PM
xECK29x

I'd take him on the Isles, we need major help on the backend.

xECK29x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2013, 12:29 PM
TheOllieC
Tampa Ba(ndwagon)y

vCash: 625
How about Erik Cole with some salary retained to Carolina...

TheOllieC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2013, 12:30 PM
Bennett Brauer

Hindsight is 20/20 on the Stars-Pens trade.

Neal was a 20 goal scoring winger and the Stars were stacked with wingers. Goligoski was looked at as a young promising PMD, Shero said he was untouchable unless a GM offered the right price and he got a young winger in return. Goligoski played great after the trade, Neal found chemistry with Malkin the season after the trade. Niskanen struggled in Dallas and even in Pittsburgh but he improved.

Like I said, in hindsight, you can't really fault JN for this trade, the Stars wanted a mobile defenseman and got one, and he played well, but he just didn't keep playing like he did after the trade. I'm a fan of Shero but I don't think he anticipated Neal becoming a 30-40 goal guy and finding chemistry with Malkin, and Niskanen finding his game and improving with the Penguins, I think we can credit Dan Bylsma for the improvement of both Neal and Niskanen, just like we probably can about Goligoski having a successful year that season. People like to say he's a bad coach, he has his flaws, every coach does, but he's a pretty good coach.

Bennett Brauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2013, 12:33 PM
txomisc

Quote:
and Dallas has since turned Goligoski into what Niskanen was.

Old
10-27-2013, 12:35 PM
Sony Eriksson*

Skill wise the trade looks bad for Dallas but Neal has been off the ice a lot with injuries. Niskanen wasbever going to produce Iin Dallas and he is just another example of a player who benefited from a change of scenery.

Sony Eriksson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2013, 12:37 PM
txomisc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyes of Orpik View Post

Neal was a 20 goal scoring winger and the Stars were stacked with wingers. Goligoski was looked at as a young promising PMD, Shero said he was untouchable unless a GM offered the right price and he got a young winger in return. Goligoski played great after the trade, Neal found chemistry with Malkin the season after the trade. Niskanen struggled in Dallas and even in Pittsburgh but he improved.

Like I said, in hindsight, you can't really fault JN for this trade, the Stars wanted a mobile defenseman and got one, and he played well, but he just didn't keep playing like he did after the trade. I'm a fan of Shero but I don't think he anticipated Neal becoming a 30-40 goal guy and finding chemistry with Malkin, and Niskanen finding his game and improving with the Penguins, I think we can credit Dan Bylsma for the improvement of both Neal and Niskanen, just like we probably can about Goligoski having a successful year that season. People like to say he's a bad coach, he has his flaws, every coach does, but he's a pretty good coach.
I still fault JN for that. Neal was just a few years in and while he was starting to struggle it was clear there was more upside with him. The damning thing about that trade for me were comments that other teams did not even know Neal was available. It really seems like JN found a guy he wanted and zeroed in on him with blinders on causing him to get taken to the cleaners.

Old
10-27-2013, 12:44 PM
TrillMike

Honestly, the only d man ON THE NHL ROSTER I wouldn't move is Dillon. For those who need a refresher: Robidas, Daley, Goligoski, Gonchar, Jordie Benn/Aaron Rome.

TrillMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2013, 12:50 PM
Ewan McGregor

vCash: 1053
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyes of Orpik View Post

Also easier for Goligoski to look good back in Pittsburgh when he's playing with Crosby and Malkin.

Just like Jordan Staal.

Ewan McGregor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2013, 12:59 PM
Mr Misty
The Irons Are Back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ewan McGregor View Post
Also easier for Goligoski to look good back in Pittsburgh when he's playing with Crosby and Malkin.

Just like Jordan Staal.
Or Neal's .1gpg when Malkin is out of the lineup.

I don't know that moving a defenseman now is a good idea because Connauton wasn't that good and Robidas is going to be moved before the deadline and nobody in Cedar Park is currently pushing for NHL ice time either. Getting KConn icetime is good for KConn but I'm not sure it is good for the Stars.

Mr Misty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2013, 01:05 PM
Ewan McGregor

vCash: 1053
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Misty View Post
Or Neal's .1gpg when Malkin is out of the lineup.

I don't know that moving a defenseman now is a good idea because Connauton wasn't that good and Robidas is going to be moved before the deadline and nobody in Cedar Park is currently pushing for NHL ice time either. Getting KConn icetime is good for KConn but I'm not sure it is good for the Stars.
Yeah it's just never possible with Pens fans that playing with the league's two best centres will ever elevate a player.

Last edited by Ewan McGregor: 10-27-2013 at 01:15 PM.
Ewan McGregor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2013, 01:07 PM
Flamesarmstrong22

Chris Butler + for Goligoski

Flamesarmstrong22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2013, 01:44 PM
OrangeZebra
Unregistered User

Isles could really use Robidas this season.

OrangeZebra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2013, 01:46 PM
golffuul

Quote:
Originally Posted by XO View Post
Perfect by me.

golffuul is offline   Reply With Quote