HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers @ Detroit: We have other forwards?

Old
10-27-2013, 11:33 AM
Wolfy
The Hobbit Rules!

vCash: 500
Actually a brilliant move by AV to put Zucc on the fourth line for a while, then he removed the pressure on Zucc, and it helped. He found his game again

Wolfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2013, 11:38 AM
NYRangers723

Fast has impressed me on the penalty kill but i still think that he should be sent down when hagelin and cally come back. I think next year he will be better overall. hagelin and cally are 2 great PK and can score. Kreider and Miller must stay up. Both are playing well and its time to let them continue to play and keep gaining confidence

NYRangers723 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2013, 12:45 PM
HockeyStickHomicide
Registered Abuser

Went to this game. It was amazing. Good amount of fellow Rangers fans there. The Joe had a lot of empty seats.

The guy sitting next to me asked me "Who's that??" while pointing at a rangers player, he covered just about half our team..lol.

HockeyStickHomicide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2013, 01:08 PM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy View Post
Kreider can contribute to this team without much offense if he keeps skating hard, engages in physical play, ect. Chimera has been a good player for many years.
I thought Kreider played well.

I don't think Chimera is very effective in the game right now, not on a contender, but Kreider is looking promising.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dethomas07 View Post
your nit picking now.. guy played very well.. entire team did.. we carried the pace the entire game..not one person had a bad game..
MDZ had a solid game, but he should be a big factor. I am not seing that from him on the right side.

Ola is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2013, 01:13 PM
eco's bones

MDZ is better in every way on the left side. Better defensively--better transitionally and better offensively. The real problem for him is the ice time that McDonagh and Staal eat up but it might be better to try Moore on the right side again and pair him with Del Zotto. He might not get lots of ice time but I think he'll be more in his comfort zone. So far the offensive part of his game just hasn't been there and that's his bread and butter.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2013, 01:22 PM
mullichicken25

Great game to close out the road trip. Games like these give me confidence that the team can be competitive when key pieces return to the lineup.

Krieder did a lot of good good things in the offensive zone and using his size, but I was far more impressed with his back checking/neutral zone play. He did a significantly better job picking up a man in the way back into the zone and not abandoning him too soon. Those are the kind of "little things" that he hasn't done in the past that have kept him out of the big show.

Through the first and second period Dorset was the best ranger on the ice. He did his best Callahan/Prust impression and single handedly raised the energy and intensity of the team with his forechecking and play around the net. Last night we saw the Dorset I was expecting to get from that trade.

mullichicken25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2013, 03:01 PM
Callagraves
Block shots

I don't think I can over state the importance of kids coming up and playing well. If players like Kreider and Fast, even miller can establish themselves as staples in our line up, we go from desperate to a log jam.

With Richards, Cally, Nash, Hags, Step and Brassard rounding out your top six, finding places for Kreider, Fast, Pouliout, Miller, Zucc becomes even more interesting.

I'd seriously look to move Richie back to center if we don't think it'll mess with his play.

Kreider-Richards-Nash
Hags-Step-Cally
Fast-Brass-Zucc
And then we have options of Moore, Dorsset, Pouliout, Boyle, Mash and others.

It's a big "If" Though

Callagraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2013, 03:36 PM
azaloum90

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
Don't like Del Zotto on the right side.
I think he is there because Richards wants the left side. in that case he should just be off the power play

azaloum90 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2013, 04:53 PM
kovazub94

Boyle was the MAN on both sides of the puck (only in AV's quote he was individually acknowledged for his efforts - got to give him more love than this from the fans).

Dorsett has a long way to go to earn the praise that accompanied him when he was brought last season. He got to make games like yesterday a norm.

I'm not going to get too excited about Talbot yet - big Vally also had a couple of good games (against Toronto in particular) before proving himself not NHL caliber. Yes he has potential but there is still a lot of work for him reading plays and learning his positioning. There were at least two - three situations in both games when he was out of position with a lot of goal open to the shooters to aim for.

kovazub94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2013, 05:11 PM
trilobyte

Dorsett made me quite angry in the game against St. Louis. I was calling for him to be scratched indefinitely. A couple of games later I posted that he is obviously not as stupid as he looked in that game against St. Louis.

Against the Red Wings, Dorsett was a force on the good side. I watched him move, make decisions, dish the puck off, backcheck...and hey, it was good.
It's a team thing. You see all these players doing good things. And in another game you see all these players doing crap except for one or two. I sincerely hope that this team realizes the level of effort it takes, but not only that, that if they do work hard they have a humongously better chance of having fun out there. Any player that is not into working hard, having success due to that hard work, and having fun in the process, should just find another job.
I don't think the Rangers are Cup candidates, to be honest. Last night I wanted to watch a good hockey game, with fingers crossed and hope that NYR would show up. I have been doing that for over forty years. They did show up. I always take it one game at a time. I can believe in these guys if they believe in themselves.

trilobyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2013, 05:13 PM
ecemleafs

one thing ill complain about is the richards mdz pairing on the PP. it is such a liability. i feel we give up a great scoring chance against every time these 2 are out on the PP. if one loses the puck they are both far too slow to make up for it. get moore, mcd, stralman, staal out there with richards and put mdz on the 2nd unit with whoever is left over. all 4 of those also have better shots than mdz, which is needed on the PP most.

ecemleafs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2013, 05:31 PM
BobMarleyNYR

Send a message via AIM to BobMarleyNYR
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovazub94 View Post
big Vally also had a couple of good games (against Toronto in particular) before proving himself not NHL caliber.
Valiquette was definitely suited to the NHL... backups are a dime a dozen, and the only ones with lengthy careers are actually starters who just couldn't get over the bar... see Biron or Weekes, Giguere, Dafoe, Wregget.

BobMarleyNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2013, 05:35 PM
Cake or Death

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullichicken25 View Post
Great game to close out the road trip. Games like these give me confidence that the team can be competitive when key pieces return to the lineup.

Krieder did a lot of good good things in the offensive zone and using his size, but I was far more impressed with his back checking/neutral zone play. He did a significantly better job picking up a man in the way back into the zone and not abandoning him too soon. Those are the kind of "little things" that he hasn't done in the past that have kept him out of the big show.

Through the first and second period Dorset was the best ranger on the ice. He did his best Callahan/Prust impression and single handedly raised the energy and intensity of the team with his forechecking and play around the net. Last night we saw the Dorset I was expecting to get from that trade.
I noticed that too and was really happy with his play away from the puck. He played a really solid all around game and can be a major asset to this team of he continues to play that way. We really need a guy with that kind of size and speed on this team, especially if he's solid on both ends of the rink. Really happy with what him and Dorsett brought to the ice last night, hopefully they can both stay fairly consistent with it.

Cake or Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2013, 05:42 PM
NYRangers723

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cake or Death View Post
I noticed that too and was really happy with his play away from the puck. He played a really solid all around game and can be a major asset to this team of he continues to play that way. We really need a guy with that kind of size and speed on this team, especially if he's solid on both ends of the rink. Really happy with what him and Dorsett brought to the ice last night, hopefully they can both stay fairly consistent with it.

Kreider started playing better at the end of training camp. in hartford he was probably the most consistent forward and so far he has been great so far. I dont wnat to jump the gun but im confident he will play this way the rest of the way. he has confidence now and is healthy

NYRangers723 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2013, 05:52 PM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

Caught this game on MSG while I was down in Syracuse.

Very impressed with the level of sheer effort and determination from guys I honestly haven't heard of!

Rangers fully deserved the win and the OT goal was indicative of the work ethic.

Best effort I have seen all season in any game!

NyQuil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2013, 06:05 PM
Cake or Death

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers723 View Post
Kreider started playing better at the end of training camp. in hartford he was probably the most consistent forward and so far he has been great so far. I dont wnat to jump the gun but im confident he will play this way the rest of the way. he has confidence now and is healthy
Agree on all fronts, particularly not jumping guns. Was a really good game, but I'm more the type to see how things settle after time has passed. I reckon we'll have a much better idea of how this team and the new coaches really look by late Nov, or sometime in Dec. If Kreider continues to bring this type of game, and clearly he is fully capable of doing so, it is a HUGE plus for the NYR, cuz the dude brings a skill set that is hard to find in a guy his size.

Cake or Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2013, 06:18 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobMarleyNYR View Post
Valiquette was definitely suited to the NHL... backups are a dime a dozen, and the only ones with lengthy careers are actually starters who just couldn't get over the bar... see Biron or Weekes, Giguere, Dafoe, Wregget.
Backups who can play 10 games per season are a dime a dozen. Ones who can spell the starter for 20 games are much harder to find...

Not that it matters. You can't judge any player in the NHL after 2 games.

Tawnos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2013, 07:11 PM
surf
Wheres the Reggae?

All I'm saying is even with our piss poor efforts if we could've stolen just one game 4-5 would have been amazing...The blow out loses were gross but 9 games don't make a season..I am not crazy about the make up of this team but there is no doubt we will be in the top 8 at seasons end not a lottery pick like the sky is falling crew is almost hoping for

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHRangerfan View Post
None of the factors you mentioned above excuses the piss poor effort we saw in many of the losses...had they played hard in those losses it would be a different board.

surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2013, 09:57 PM
Ail
k.

Quote:
I only had to scoop up the puck. It was kind of bouncing, so I just closed my eyes and shot.
— Rangers forward Derick Brassard on his overtime goal against the Red Wings on Saturday night
Okay I guess they are just closing their eyes and hoping for the best now. Good strategy guys.

10-27-2013, 10:02 PM
JohnC
#FreeSteve

It's like when the dumb ***** in Titanic closes her eyes to cut Leonardo Dicaprio free of the handcuffs

JohnC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2013, 11:01 PM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

So I'm gonna go ahead and assume Fast goes down after the game tonight.

Ih8theislanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2013, 11:13 PM
FromTheSide

Send a message via AIM to FromTheSide Send a message via MSN to FromTheSide
Where's the GDT for the home opener? We need some MSG Pump up. Loffen is slacking.

FromTheSide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2013, 11:52 PM
azaloum90

I'm noticing alot more emotion from the guys... They were ecstatic after every goal they scored in this game. Great way to start the home game tomorrow (tonight, technically)

azaloum90 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2013, 03:06 PM
NHRangerfan
enfoonts

Quote:
Originally Posted by surf View Post
All I'm saying is even with our piss poor efforts if we could've stolen just one game 4-5 would have been amazing...The blow out loses were gross but 9 games don't make a season..I am not crazy about the make up of this team but there is no doubt we will be in the top 8 at seasons end not a lottery pick like the sky is falling crew is almost hoping for
I don't think I'm in the sky is falling category yet

Teams, especially team with "less talent", steal wins by out-efforting their opponents...the only game that was possible outside of maybe the Philly game was the Blues game until they ran out of gas in the 3rd.

NHRangerfan is offline   Reply With Quote