HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Carey Price Discussion Thread (Part 7) Can't Win Olympic Games Edition

Closed Thread

Old
10-26-2013, 09:29 PM
Whitesnake
Mediocre Stability

vCash: 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Drebin View Post
You fault him for a fluke bounce off the glass?
The most "reserved" analyst of the game for the Habs in Dany Dubé (not Antichambre, not Michel Villeneuve...) said that when the puck is thrown on the glass, you stay in front of your net, 'cause deflections like that do happen on the glass and that even if it doesn't, it's not like you take the puck with your stick, it's that you receive with your body and dangerous deflections can also happen. So 2 reasons why you don't play those pucks. And if you do...don't play it like Price did being nonchalant about it....be ready to come back. Price took it for granted.

Having said all that, he was beyond good all game night and that game is not on him. Absolutely not. Just a pointer that next time, let's hope it's being addressed.

Old
10-26-2013, 09:43 PM
Frank Drebin

vCash: 50
Ya he was a little lax but those bounces happen. **** happens.

Old
10-26-2013, 11:09 PM
deandebean

vCash: 500
He was tremendous tonight. His team sucked.

Old
10-26-2013, 11:41 PM
Bask
Embellishing User

I feel the need to mention that a guy on the main board just said this about Prices stats

Quote:
Habs' team defence inflates those stats imo.

Old
10-26-2013, 11:45 PM
CP31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bask View Post
I feel the need to mention that a guy on the main board just said this about Prices stats
That was hilarious

Old
10-26-2013, 11:46 PM
sharks9

.945 SV% in a loss, pretty damn good.

Old
10-26-2013, 11:54 PM
Noob616

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharks9 View Post
.945 SV% in a loss, pretty damn good.
And with one of the goals being a total fluke.

Old
10-27-2013, 07:58 AM
TonsofPuppies*

I've been saying for the last 4 years that Carey Price will be the starter in Sochi and he will lead us to gold. I've been mocked for this prediction the last couple of years because of Price's decline, but I've stuck by it and before the season started, I reiterated it. Price has been great this year and I hope he keeps it up. As a Leafs fan, this not cheering against the Habs thing is so foreign. Only lasts until February though. Good luck until then. Go Price Go!

Old
10-27-2013, 09:04 AM
Lafleurs Guy

Game 1: Price Good, Defense Bad - Loss
Game 2: Price Good, Defense Good - Win
Game 3: Price Good, Defense Bad - Loss
Game 4: Budaj Good, Defense Good - Win
Game 5: Price Good, Defense Bad - Win
Game 6: Price Good, Defense Mediocre - Win
Game 7: Price Good, Defense Good - Win
Game 8: Price Good, Defense Mediocre - Loss
Game 9: Price Mediocre, Defense Bad - Loss
Game 10: Price Good, Defense Good - Win
Game 11: Price Good, Defense Mediocre - Loss - Season Save Percentage .937

Edit: I'm going to update with the season save percentage as we go. Right now it's sitting at .937. As much as I love the guy, that's not going to last. But we can follow along and see it as it rises and falls througout the season.

Last edited by Lafleurs Guy: 10-28-2013 at 04:17 PM.
Old
10-27-2013, 12:14 PM
Frank Drebin

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonsofPuppies View Post
I've been saying for the last 4 years that Carey Price will be the starter in Sochi and he will lead us to gold. I've been mocked for this prediction the last couple of years because of Price's decline, but I've stuck by it and before the season started, I reiterated it. Price has been great this year and I hope he keeps it up. As a Leafs fan, this not cheering against the Habs thing is so foreign. Only lasts until February though. Good luck until then. Go Price Go!
Cheers, thanks for stopping by. Glad Price is playing well if he keeps it up he the easy choice for Sochi.

Hope you're enjoying your season. Leafs are a good team.

Old
10-27-2013, 12:17 PM
Andy

I thought the defense was okay last night. They weren't a problem. The problem was that the team couldn't score.

Old
10-27-2013, 12:21 PM
Frank Drebin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
I thought the defense was okay last night. They weren't a problem. The problem was that the team couldn't score.
Agree. LG time to add another metric to your chart.

Offense - Bad

Old
10-27-2013, 12:23 PM
overlords
youmyboyblou!

Quote:
It's a pretty big problem when the defense can't start a breakout to save their lives .

Old
10-27-2013, 12:26 PM
habsfanatics*

Quote:
Agreed although the shots against is becoming quite alarming, we're not even carrying the play anymore. I think patches coming back will help, but the kids are struggling against tougher opponents, might be time to switch things up again. We also need PK on the PK. Last year we outplayed almost everyone, this year, we're getting outplayed more often than not, it's concerning.

Other than the swarm towards San Jose's goal for 5-10 min at the end of the 2nd, they were in complete control. Despite that, we were a bounce or two away from getting a point out of this one. The goal in the 3rd was a true fluke, not going to blame Price at all there, he played well enough to deserve better, but that goal would hurt most teams imo.

Old
10-27-2013, 01:04 PM
Whitesnake
Mediocre Stability

vCash: 725
Quote:
There was no counter attack, 'cause our D were way too under pressure, couldn't handle the physical forecheck, weren't quick enough or good enough to give the puck to the forwards etc. A complete team effort yesterday.

Old
10-27-2013, 01:10 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Drebin View Post
Agree. LG time to add another metric to your chart.

Offense - Bad
Well... folks can look up the goals scored for that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfanatics View Post
Agreed although the shots against is becoming quite alarming, we're not even carrying the play anymore. I think patches coming back will help, but the kids are struggling against tougher opponents, might be time to switch things up again. We also need PK on the PK. Last year we outplayed almost everyone, this year, we're getting outplayed more often than not, it's concerning.

Other than the swarm towards San Jose's goal for 5-10 min at the end of the 2nd, they were in complete control. Despite that, we were a bounce or two away from getting a point out of this one. The goal in the 3rd was a true fluke, not going to blame Price at all there, he played well enough to deserve better, but that goal would hurt most teams imo.
We are being mostly outplayed this year. I knew the D wasn't going to be good but I thought our offense would be better than it has. The offense is okay but could be better and there's no doubt that Max being hurt doesn't help.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
There was no counter attack, 'cause our D were way too under pressure, couldn't handle the physical forecheck, weren't quick enough or good enough to give the puck to the forwards etc. A complete team effort yesterday.
We were outplayed. Even when the D had the puck everyone was covered and boxed out. And give the Sharks credit, they blocked tons of shots and really played a solid, solid game.

We just aren't in their class. They're too big and too strong. Score could've easily been 4-0.
Quote:
I don't see how anyone could classify it as a 'good' game by the D. All the play was in our zone. Best that can be said is that we didn't make any unforced errors (except maybe Beaulieu.) I don't think it was a terrible game by the D but certainly not 'good'. Hence the 'mediocre' rating. We were dramatically outshot and the play was all in our end almost the whole game. I'd say that grade is more than fair.

Old
10-27-2013, 02:10 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfanatics View Post

The EGG line is now being targeted as our #1 line. DD is producing jack so whatever line he's on will pretty much suck. That leaves Plekanec playing with a very declined Gionta and a rookie. We wasted a roster spot on a finished player who's yet again concussed.
MaxPac's return will surely be appreciated. Prust could help too. But I expect our struggles to continue until they return, and god forbid one of EGG gets injured.

Old
10-27-2013, 03:12 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
The EGG line is now being targeted as our #1 line. DD is producing jack so whatever line he's on will pretty much suck. That leaves Plekanec playing with a very declined Gionta and a rookie. We wasted a roster spot on a finished player who's yet again concussed.
MaxPac's return will surely be appreciated. Prust could help too. But I expect our struggles to continue until they return, and god forbid one of EGG gets injured.
Plecs Bournival Gionta has been effective. At least we've got two lines working for now.

Bourque and DD can play on the 3rd along with Prust or Briere when they come back. If one line starts to struggle we can break it up and play around with it. But for now I'd leave the two lines as they are. As for Price, he's sitting at a nice .937 save percentage so we're getting help on the backend.

Max can't come back soon enough.

Old
10-27-2013, 03:21 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
Plecs Bournival Gionta has been effective. At least we've got two lines working for now.

Bourque and DD can play on the 3rd along with Prust or Briere when they come back. If one line starts to struggle we can break it up and play around with it. But for now I'd leave the two lines as they are. As for Price, he's sitting at a nice .937 save percentage so we're getting help on the backend.

Max can't come back soon enough.
Except that the EGG line isn't as effective anymore. But yes, MaxPac's return will be very appreciated.

Old
10-27-2013, 09:45 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Except that the EGG line isn't as effective anymore. But yes, MaxPac's return will be very appreciated.
The EGG line may not be as effective (facing better checking now) but Bournival Plecs Gionta's been better. And when Max comes back they can think about teaming him with Plecs.

Old
10-28-2013, 09:58 AM
Akipa
HFB Partner

Here's a look at the possible effect going to the Olympics could have on this season for the Montreal Canadiens should Price play.

http://lastwordonsports.com/2013/10/...e-habs-season/

Old
10-28-2013, 09:19 PM
Bryson

Budaj is good

Old
10-28-2013, 09:21 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryson View Post
Budaj is good
He'll get a 'good' grade tonight for sure.

How was the D? I only saw most of the third and don't feel like watching the tape as everyone in the game thread said this was a terrible match.

Old
10-28-2013, 09:30 PM
Bryson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
He'll get a 'good' grade tonight for sure.

How was the D? I only saw most of the third and don't feel like watching the tape as everyone in the game thread said this was a terrible match.
D was good too. I can't think of any glaring mistakes they made in the match. Only 7 shots in the 1st and 6 in the 3rd allowed. Blocked Shots 28 - 11. So ya D was good.

Old
10-28-2013, 09:53 PM
Team_Spirit
#FireBergevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akipa View Post
Here's a look at the possible effect going to the Olympics could have on this season for the Montreal Canadiens should Price play.

http://lastwordonsports.com/2013/10/...e-habs-season/
I kinda argee with this but at the same time all the elite players will be there so the 'wear in tear' apply to everyone.

Closed Thread