HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

GDT St. Louis Blues @ Nashville Predators

Old
10-27-2013, 10:55 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
We've got to address the Bartley-Ellis pairing. Neither are playing at a NHL level. They were on the ice for 3 of the 4 even strength goals against despite playing less than 14 minutes at es all night. Hard to protect them much more than that. Also, with all the grit we have in the line-up, we sure look soft.

Goalies didn't help though, 4 shots in the 2nd period, 2 goals, nine shots in the 3rd, 3 goals.

We dress guys straight for penalty killing and yet give up 2/5. Sure we scored a shorty but, we also went 0/3 on the pp.

If Hendricks is being dressed as a pker, he needs to do a better job pking.

triggrman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2013, 11:18 AM
deanwormer

vCash: 437
The 3rd pair disaster was mostly on Ellis, not Bartley. Ellis got deeked on one, blown past on another, leaving just Bartley to try to cover. Actually woulda' been ok on the one except Hutton and Bartley both took the same guy. Bartley grabbed several pucks in front of Hutton and cleared them - you just don't see that from Ellis.

Then again, we're basically playing 4 rookies on D - a Vet to stabilize that 3rd pair would be nice right now, and I'm sure we'd have one if we hadn't gotten Jones in the draft. This isn't Ellis getting out-muscled - which we gotta' expect given his size - this is just bad defense and bad choices. It's hard to stomach 2 kids on a pair if one isn't named SJones.

I'm not sure Bartley really deserves to sit, but I just don't see how it's gonna' work any other way. Whether it's Josi for a while as he settles back in, or Jones, or KK, or 42, I think one of them paired with Ellis as the regular pair is what we gotta' do for a while and see if Ellis is gonna' turn into a decent Dman or not.

deanwormer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2013, 11:23 AM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post

The same can be said for most of our penalty killers from Gaustad to Weber. 8 goals allowed so far on the kill, only six teams in the league allowing more to date.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2013, 11:59 AM
AEM6729

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Will Son View Post
I'm as big of a fan as anyone here. I'm just over the same issues and nothing being done to change the real issues.

I don't take joy in us losing...
Same. I'm sure a lot has been tried to address the real issues that we don't know about, but man, everything feels just...so...difficult every year. Like we have to try SO hard just to compete, because we're always lagging behind in talent level compared to the best teams.

One of these years I just want it to feel a little easier.

AEM6729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2013, 12:14 PM
cleangene

Quote:
We've got to address the Bartley-Ellis pairing. Neither are playing at a NHL level. They were on the ice for 3 of the 4 even strength goals against despite playing less than 14 minutes at es all night. Hard to protect them much more than that. Also, with all the grit we have in the line-up, we sure look soft.

Goalies didn't help though, 4 shots in the 2nd period, 2 goals, nine shots in the 3rd, 3 goals.

We dress guys straight for penalty killing and yet give up 2/5. Sure we scored a shorty but, we also went 0/3 on the pp.

I originally was just going to use the "with all the grit we have in the line-up, we sure look soft.", but loved (and agreed 5 million percent) the rest so much that the entire post gets quoted. All of this talk over the off season about the "entertainment tax" was just that...TALK. All of this talk over the off season about Stalberg being "buried in a system, and now it's his turn to show what he's got" was just that...TALK.

cleangene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2013, 01:20 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
The same can be said for most of our penalty killers from Gaustad to Weber. 8 goals allowed so far on the kill, only six teams in the league allowing more to date.
The difference is, pking is just a small piece of what Weber brings, not the main or only thing. If I was going to list of what does Weber do best, pking would be at the bottom. Hendricks does 2 things, provide energy through physical play and kills penalties.

As far as last night, Weber wasn't on the pk on either of the ppg against.

Last edited by triggrman: 10-27-2013 at 01:44 PM.
Old
10-27-2013, 01:50 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
The difference is, pking is just a small piece of what Weber brings, not the main or only thing. If I was going to list of what does Weber do best, pking would be at the bottom. Hendricks does 2 things, provide energy through physical play and kills penalties.
Looking at the two PP goals last night, Hendricks had Sobodka tied up in the slot when Steen entered the zone cleanly and took his shot on the first and Pietrangelo was fronted by Gaustad on the second. Those are the only two goals on the kill this season where Hendricks was on the ice. Spaling was on the ice for more goals allowed on the PK in just over half the short handed time. Weber, Klein, Cullen, and Gaustad all with more goals allowed while on the kill. Singling Hendricks out ignores that there are three other players with a role on the PK and if the entire unit isn't working together as one it fails. Right now our PK is hit or miss ... allowing nothing or two goals in a game with no middle ground.

Old
10-27-2013, 01:50 PM
NoNecksCurse

a little late to the party but at least we scored a goal!

team toughness FTW!!

NoNecksCurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2013, 05:08 PM
thecloser

Stalberg scratched again....

thecloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2013, 05:14 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
As far as last night, Weber wasn't on the pk on either of the ppg against.
Then who wore #6 in gold last night?

Old
10-27-2013, 06:19 PM
Nitrous Mafia

anyone else in attendance see the clear "**** off" from the ref to pred after the disallowed goal? classic.

Nitrous Mafia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2013, 06:29 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Looking at the two PP goals last night, Hendricks had Sobodka tied up in the slot when Steen entered the zone cleanly and took his shot on the first and Pietrangelo was fronted by Gaustad on the second. Those are the only two goals on the kill this season where Hendricks was on the ice. Spaling was on the ice for more goals allowed on the PK in just over half the short handed time. Weber, Klein, Cullen, and Gaustad all with more goals allowed while on the kill. Singling Hendricks out ignores that there are three other players with a role on the PK and if the entire unit isn't working together as one it fails. Right now our PK is hit or miss ... allowing nothing or two goals in a game with no middle ground.
You're so worried about arguing you miss the entire point. Doesn't matter if it's Spaling or Hendricks, dressing either of the 2 penalty killers when we have team full of guys that can do it, makes no sense. I don't care which one you sit but one of them should, Spaling, Hendricks, I don't care, we need offense, we need puck possession. Stalberg needs to play, sit one of those 2.

Hell if it was up to me, both would sit, I don't think either of them have earned a spot.

Old
10-27-2013, 06:42 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
You're so worried about arguing you miss the entire point. Doesn't matter if it's Spaling or Hendricks, dressing either of the 2 penalty killers when we have team full of guys that can do it, makes no sense. I don't care which one you sit but one of them should, Spaling, Hendricks, I don't care, we need offense, we need puck possession. Stalberg needs to play, sit one of those 2.

Hell if it was up to me, both would sit, I don't think either of them have earned a spot.

We do need offense. We also need the PK to play better. Four games where they've allowed two goals on the kill is unacceptable this early in the season.

I'm not sure Bourque doesn't belong in the who should sit for a game or two discussion as well ... a ton of effort from him but zero results and he's entered the snakebit realm. Sit him, put Stalberg on a line with Cullen and Smith and see what happens.

(I've lost count of how many times I've said Hendricks deserves to sit ... still his status as the current whipping boy gets him blamed even when he doesn't mess up to the point where other players on the ice are not just absolved of any involvement but now claims that other players involved weren't even on the ice. The fact he took a penalty always gets noted yet when he blocks a shot leading to a rush for Nystrom then hurries up the ice and crashes the net, quite literally with some help from a Blues defender, gets ignored completely. )

Old
10-27-2013, 06:58 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Bourque is doing everything right just not finishing, sitting him isn't going to help. Hendricks to me just doesn't seem to fit, Spaling just isn't talented enough. I'll add that I also think Trotz has also had his worse season to date. We seem more conservative and he's made a bunch of bad choices on ice time and personnel, IMHO.

Old
10-27-2013, 07:29 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

How long does Bourque get to finish before he gets a game in the press box? Before he gets put on a different line? It's been 12 so far and the spot he fills looks like a good fit to get Stalberg going. Cullen and Smith are clicking ... both have speed ... both have offensive instincts ... hard to find a better fit for Stalberg on paper.

Hendricks is 5th on the team in SH TOI ... 2nd among forwards ... and was not on the ice for a PP goal allowed until last night. He's third on the team in hits, 4 behind Nystrom, 1 behind Weber. He is taking too many minor penalties with six so far ... none of those resulting in an opposing PP goal. He's playing a 4th liner's game. It's not pretty, but, neither is his role.

Old
10-27-2013, 07:37 PM
PFL615

-Worst game i have witnessed in a long time.

-So *** embarrassing the amount of blues fans in the arena. Majority walk around acting like they have never had a beer before anf it's their first time away from their parents.

-Blues taking the place of the Red Wings with the acting jobs to get penalty calls.

-Refs are with the fans on telling Hendricks to f... off. Nice camera work on jumbotron.

-Who the hell is responsible for passing and puck handling on the coaching staff. God awful.

-Fisher is playing like he is still hurt.

-Can we please trade legwand for a bag of pucks at the trade deadline.

PFL615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2013, 08:12 PM
deanwormer

vCash: 437
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smashville615 View Post

-Can we please trade legwand for a bag of pucks at the trade deadline.
Legwand is tied for team lead in points. Seems like he had primary assist on two recent game winners. Not sure he's the problem...
however, that line has an ugly plus/minus....

deanwormer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2013, 08:17 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Sounds good to me.

I still wouldn't sit Bourque before Spaling or Hendricks.

Old
10-27-2013, 08:42 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Sounds good to me.

I still wouldn't sit Bourque before Spaling or Hendricks.
Spaling is put in a top nine role right now ... sitting him for Stalberg and shifting Bourque around to another line makes sense. Hendricks is playing a typical 4th line grinder role. If he sits or plays is a completely independent of what we do with the top nine.

Luckily we have until Thursday before playing. It gives Fisher time to further heal. It gives Josi another few days to progress towards his return. It gives the team a couple of days to practice hard with whatever the lines look like for Thursday.

Old
10-27-2013, 10:10 PM
Fortheloveofthegame

Quote:
How long does Bourque get to finish before he gets a game in the press box? Before he gets put on a different line? It's been 12 so far and the spot he fills looks like a good fit to get Stalberg going. Cullen and Smith are clicking ... both have speed ... both have offensive instincts ... hard to find a better fit for Stalberg on paper.

Hendricks is 5th on the team in SH TOI ... 2nd among forwards ... and was not on the ice for a PP goal allowed until last night. He's third on the team in hits, 4 behind Nystrom, 1 behind Weber. He is taking too many minor penalties with six so far ... none of those resulting in an opposing PP goal. He's playing a 4th liner's game. It's not pretty, but, neither is his role.
Put Stalberg with Fisher and Hornqvist, Wilson with Cullen and Smith.then you have Bourque/Forsberg with Legwand and a Nystrom. Fill in the fourth line with Gaustad Spaling and ?

Fortheloveofthegame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2013, 10:35 PM
originalpredfan

If I were one of the team owners I would be very upset that I was advised by team management to pay millions of dollars for a player that the coach feels he has to sit two straight games to teach him the "Predator System" which over the years seems to be hope we score a goal and get a shutout. Stalberg will only prove his worth offensively if he is put in a position to succeed. In other words, low minutes on the 4th line is utter coaching stupidity. He needs to be on the 1st or 2nd line and given significant PP time in order to truly evaluate him. If he doesn't perform than you've got a bigger problem.

originalpredfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2013, 10:41 PM
drwpreds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smashville615 View Post

-So *** embarrassing the amount of blues fans in the arena. Majority walk around acting like they have never had a beer before anf it's their first time away from their parents.
Amen to both of those points.

I made a last minute decision to make the drive up from Birmingham with my son for the game- bad, bad decision- 7 hours of round trip driving to see that pile of crap performance.....

And could not agree more on the Blues fans- I do believe they are just about the most obnoxious group of opposing fans, or at least right up there. Blackhawks fans are pretty bad, but at least their team has done something on the ice to give their fan base something to brag about. The Blues-NOT

And to summarize how my night went, I ran into a group of 4 Blues fans on the street before the game acting like dbags- get to our seats and of course there they are just a couple of rows over...... Just a bad, bad night..

drwpreds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2013, 09:31 AM
Persona5

Quote:
Originally Posted by drwpreds View Post
Amen to both of those points.

I made a last minute decision to make the drive up from Birmingham with my son for the game- bad, bad decision- 7 hours of round trip driving to see that pile of crap performance.....

And could not agree more on the Blues fans- I do believe they are just about the most obnoxious group of opposing fans, or at least right up there. Blackhawks fans are pretty bad, but at least their team has done something on the ice to give their fan base something to brag about. The Blues-NOT

And to summarize how my night went, I ran into a group of 4 Blues fans on the street before the game acting like dbags- get to our seats and of course there they are just a couple of rows over...... Just a bad, bad night..
It is bad enough going to a game and being dominated at home. Being heckled by fans of the other team while being dominated at home is far far worse...

Persona5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2013, 11:41 AM
cleangene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persona5 View Post
It is bad enough going to a game and being dominated at home. Being heckled by fans of the other team while being dominated at home is far far worse...
INdeed. And, it's getting old.

cleangene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2013, 11:47 AM
thecloser

Quote:
Originally Posted by originalpredfan View Post
If I were one of the team owners I would be very upset that I was advised by team management to pay millions of dollars for a player that the coach feels he has to sit two straight games to teach him the "Predator System" which over the years seems to be hope we score a goal and get a shutout. Stalberg will only prove his worth offensively if he is put in a position to succeed. In other words, low minutes on the 4th line is utter coaching stupidity. He needs to be on the 1st or 2nd line and given significant PP time in order to truly evaluate him. If he doesn't perform than you've got a bigger problem.

THANK YOU!

Trotz needs to go. Stalberg needs to play. Hendricks needs to be shown the door and same with Spaling. This has been absurd.

thecloser is offline   Reply With Quote