Closed Thread

Old
10-27-2013, 11:14 PM
MarkGio

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHudlinator View Post
good luck

I think the real problem is that sure Cam Baker played 310 games but how many were from the team hoping he finds his game? I mean if Cam Baker had been a 7th round pick but the same skill level would teams have kept trying to play him? It is an unanswerable question but I think most high picks will have their games played increased based solely on draft position and you can't account for it.
True. But take Matt Pelech for example. Sure, he was a mid 1st rounder and a highly touted prospect in the Flames system, but he only played a hand full of games. So he was never pushed beyond his abilities. And I'm sure the data will support that. I've seen first rounders play no NHL games.

And I could argue that these early picked defenseman are only busts because they weren't developed properly. I look at Tyler Myers and wonder if he was pushed into 25 minute nights because he had a Calder year, when really, he only had sheltered minutes that year and still needed incubating. Given Buffalo's defense and urge to get going, I could see that being the case. Late round picks have no pressure to jump into roles and are given all the time in the world because GMs expect them to take long. Look at how Brodie is being impacted by his recent, huge responsibilities.

Old
10-27-2013, 11:49 PM
MonahanTheMan
Pray for Flames

Quote:
good luck

I think the real problem is that sure Cam Baker played 310 games but how many were from the team hoping he finds his game? I mean if Cam Baker had been a 7th round pick but the same skill level would teams have kept trying to play him? It is an unanswerable question but I think most high picks will have their games played increased based solely on draft position and you can't account for it.
Kinda blowin my mind here

Old
10-28-2013, 09:28 AM
RaginStajan
Pineapple Express

vCash: 50
Quote:
good luck

Barker had a good year in 2008-2009 season. 40 points in 68 games is fairly impressive. I wonder what happened to get him to fall of the face of the earth, maybe because playing in edmonton? Same thing happened to Ryan Whitney when he went to Edmonton. I guess Edmonton is where Decent defenseman go to be barely playing in the NHL later on.

Old
10-28-2013, 10:06 AM
tfong

I think Pronger, Berard and Johnson and one other (name escapes me) are really the only top 5 defenders taken in recent history that have shown consistent high end skill worthy of a top pick and even then EJ was abandoned by St Louis early on.

Definitely dmen are not worth #1 picks, but since Eckblad is heads better than the next dman, if we ever got the #1 pick I'd suggest moving down to get Eckblad + another pick.

Old
10-28-2013, 11:07 AM
Calculon
unholy acting talent

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfong View Post
I think Pronger, Berard and Johnson and one other (name escapes me) are really the only top 5 defenders taken in recent history that have shown consistent high end skill worthy of a top pick and even then EJ was abandoned by St Louis early on.

Definitely dmen are not worth #1 picks, but since Eckblad is heads better than the next dman, if we ever got the #1 pick I'd suggest moving down to get Eckblad + another pick.
It's Ekblad and it's more likely the Flames finish 14th and win the lottery than them having the first overall pick and trading down. There's a reason no one trades down from first overall anymore.

Old
10-28-2013, 01:19 PM
tfong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calculon View Post
It's Ekblad and it's more likely the Flames finish 14th and win the lottery than them having the first overall pick and trading down. There's a reason no one trades down from first overall anymore.
I think either way is unlikely anyways. But with the spread of talent here ,going from 1 to 2 or 3 likely isn't going to be as big deal as previous years.

Old
10-28-2013, 02:15 PM
Calculon
unholy acting talent

vCash: 1000
Quote:
I think either way is unlikely anyways. But with the spread of talent here ,going from 1 to 2 or 3 likely isn't going to be as big deal as previous years.
Last years draft had a top tier of 6 players that were all considered to be potential stars and yet, the Flames still couldn't trade up from 6th overall despite offering all three of their first rounds picks. In next years draft, where it appears to be a top two of Reinhart and Ekblad followed by a small drop off, it's going to be even harder to obtain one of those top picks because of the smaller talent spread.

Old
10-28-2013, 03:15 PM
MonahanTheMan
Pray for Flames

Quote:
I actually totally disagree. It seems like it's all about Reinhart, Ekblad and Nylander, with a sheer drop to a very thin remainder of the first round. Furthermore, who knows how much success Nylander will have as a 5'11" centre in the NHL? There are really only two first round picks who are worth finishing bottom five for.

Old
10-28-2013, 04:35 PM
tfong

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonahanTheMan View Post
I actually totally disagree. It seems like it's all about Reinhart, Ekblad and Nylander, with a sheer drop to a very thin remainder of the first round. Furthermore, who knows how much success Nylander will have as a 5'11" centre in the NHL? There are really only two first round picks who are worth finishing bottom five for.
To me the draft is devoid of any franchise players other than Eckblad. I think Reinhart turns out to be an upper tier first liner, and then there is a big glut of top six forwards from Nylander all the way down Ryan Macinnis.

So basically going from 1-3 is going to be Reinhart, Ekblad, Nylander and my pick of riser Leon Draisaitl.

But my original response don't forget was "The flames are as likely to win the first overall pick as they are to win it and trade down a slot or two".

Either way that is how little chance I see us getting the #1 overall.

So with our top 10 pick I'd like to get Virtanen

Old
10-28-2013, 05:27 PM
MonahanTheMan
Pray for Flames

If the Flames finish 21st - 17th, who'd you like to see us drafting? Haydn Fleury would be a good pick, name aside

Old
10-28-2013, 05:34 PM
tfong

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonahanTheMan View Post
If the Flames finish 21st - 17th, who'd you like to see us drafting? Haydn Fleury would be a good pick, name aside
I think he is going to be gone by 15.

I'd want Jack Dougherhty or Robbie Fabbri at that pick range.

Old
10-28-2013, 05:36 PM
Anglesmith
Lord Byron

Quote:
I think he is going to be gone by 15.

I'd want Jack Dougherhty or Robbie Fabbri at that pick range.
Finishing 17-21st would give us the 10-14th pick.

Old
10-28-2013, 06:37 PM
tfong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anglesmith View Post
Finishing 17-21st would give us the 10-14th pick.
Oh sorry, misread, thought he meant the 17th-21st pick.

Old
11-07-2013, 02:10 AM
marbsarebad

I just looked at Ekblad's stats so far this year and he is 6-8 and -8 in 16 games. It's possible he could move down in the draft and we could snag him at the probable 8-9 spot that it looks like we'll be drafting at. I know this kid is probably going to be better than the stats are giving him credit for. He reminds me of a modern Al MacInnis. I feel like at this point I want the Flames to pick him so badly that any other pick will be pretty bland to me.

Old
11-07-2013, 05:30 AM
Sean Monahan
#boring

Connor Bleackley late first if he's there. The guy is a Patrice Bergeron mold

Old
11-07-2013, 09:37 AM
RaginStajan
Pineapple Express

We should pick up Blake Clarke. He plays on the North Bay Battalion. He has been injured this year but before the start f the season he was projected in either the top 15 or top 20 or top 30....pretty sure it was one of the first two I said.

Old
11-10-2013, 04:17 PM
TherapyforGlencross
I'm the Man

As of now, the Flames would be picking 7th overall. I wouldn't mind drafting Joshua Ho_sang at that position, if he is available.

Old
11-10-2013, 04:32 PM
TheHudlinator

vCash: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by TherapyforGlencross View Post
As of now, the Flames would be picking 7th overall. I wouldn't mind drafting Joshua Ho_sang at that position, if he is available.
Really he is expected to be a late first round pick maybe even a 2nd.

http://www.coppernblue.com/2013/11/2...nsensus-top-30

Old
11-10-2013, 04:36 PM
Signature
Capitano Giordano

Quote:
Originally Posted by TherapyforGlencross View Post
Reading the prospects board, it seems like he's really fallen out of favour in some regards. Somewhere along the lines, "all the tools, no toolbox" or something like that is what I believe I've read in passing. Won't bother to speculate, I know next to nothing about the kid and his play. Definitely remember a lot of raised eyebrows/warning flags raised about him not even being invited to the WJC camp.

Old
11-10-2013, 05:12 PM
herashak

So many better options than ho sang at 7

Old
11-10-2013, 05:15 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Formerly MVW

I really want a dman. If we can get Ekblad or a guy comparable to Nurse I will be ecstatic!

Old
11-10-2013, 05:18 PM
Flames Fanatic
Man Shifty is Good!

Ho-Sang has attitude problems. Like major major issues.

Old
11-10-2013, 05:36 PM
Ashasx

If we're picking 6-8th (which is what I expect), either we hope Nylander falls to us or take Draisaitl or McKeown.

Old
11-10-2013, 05:40 PM
TheHudlinator

vCash: 57
If Nick Ritchie is on the board I would love to have him.

Old
11-10-2013, 05:45 PM
Signature
Capitano Giordano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Fanatic View Post
Ho-Sang has attitude problems. Like major major issues.
What kind?
Aliu-type or Theoren Fleury-type or is he just his own special headcase?

Closed Thread