HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Official Eskimos thread meet Chris Jones Eskimo new HC

Old
10-26-2013, 11:22 AM
Gord
failed rebuild

vCash: 507
another reason why announcers are idiots sometimes.
They were debating who should start for the esks the last game of the season.
One of them actually said that perhaps joseph should get the start out of respect for an old vert who may not be around next year.

that's just dumb.
I think we can all agree that if Reilly doesn't start, that it has to be Crompton playing the last game.

Gord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2013, 12:39 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

vCash: 500
Anybody else getting a little sick of troll CFL officiating?

I'm generally not one to complain about officiating be we often seem to get the ****** end of the stick. On one pass into the endzone that was likely to be a TD a Leo runs RIGHT INTO an Esks receiver. Oh, buts in accident, it prevented a TD but he didn't meant to do that.

Then, to add misery, as the Leos are piling up pts theres a Leos toss to the endzone that is overthrown. Reciever not getting there anyway. But the official, standing there in the endzone leaning forward like he's a track official waving the checkered flag is going to throw the flag. You know he's going to throw the flag, he wants to throw the flag, of course he throws the flag. ****ing jackarse. Leos get the gift PI TD (there should be a league stat on this we'd be getting the bums rush any year going)

For awhile I would just shake my head thinking, well, its CFL officiating, maybe it'll even out. Does it? How many weird games have we been screwed by the officiating. I can't remember many where its helped us much.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2013, 01:19 PM
GreatKeith

vCash: 50
CFL officiating is the only thing worse than the Eskimos in the CFL.

GreatKeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2013, 02:09 PM
Stoneman89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gord View Post
another reason why announcers are idiots sometimes.
They were debating who should start for the esks the last game of the season.
One of them actually said that perhaps joseph should get the start out of respect for an old vert who may not be around next year.

that's just dumb.
I think we can all agree that if Reilly doesn't start, that it has to be Crompton playing the last game.
I don't think Reilly should have been back playing since his concussion. He hasn't looked the same.

I hope Reed makes at least one intelligent decision this year, and has Crompton as the starter for the last game of the season.

Stoneman89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2013, 02:10 PM
Stoneman89

Eskimos release Miles Mason, their starting guard this season. One down, 4 to go.

Stoneman89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2013, 04:40 PM
flashy
Fire Tambellini.

So is Kavis Reed immortal? What coach can go 3-14 and still not be fired.

I thought it was hilarious to see Dave Cambell switch from theres still a chance to do the cross over to looking towards next year. Softballs for Kavis every monday!!

Kavis do you think this part of the growing process? Do you think you helped develop a qb for the future.

How about some questions from the other side of the coin....

Kavis why was this team so awful in the first quarter all year? Why did you remove a DC who was the real reason you had any wins last year?

flashy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2013, 06:08 PM
Cloned
Sexy Genesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Anybody else getting a little sick of troll CFL officiating?

I'm generally not one to complain about officiating be we often seem to get the ****** end of the stick. On one pass into the endzone that was likely to be a TD a Leo runs RIGHT INTO an Esks receiver. Oh, buts in accident, it prevented a TD but he didn't meant to do that.

Then, to add misery, as the Leos are piling up pts theres a Leos toss to the endzone that is overthrown. Reciever not getting there anyway. But the official, standing there in the endzone leaning forward like he's a track official waving the checkered flag is going to throw the flag. You know he's going to throw the flag, he wants to throw the flag, of course he throws the flag. ****ing jackarse. Leos get the gift PI TD (there should be a league stat on this we'd be getting the bums rush any year going)

For awhile I would just shake my head thinking, well, its CFL officiating, maybe it'll even out. Does it? How many weird games have we been screwed by the officiating. I can't remember many where its helped us much.
Part of it is because our players just aren't good enough. They don't put the opposition in situations where questionable calls can be made often enough. We don't have enough veterans who know how to "sell" certain plays - not saying outright diving but maybe a little verbal after every play at the ref to pressure him to eventually make a call, or a little acting on a play to exaggerate a penalty that otherwise wouldn't have been called.

Case in point: When Ray (who has the respect of the officials as a vet and as a good QB) was our QB, how many roughing the passer calls did we have go our way? Now that we have Reilly, how many obvious RTP calls have the officials not called?

Sig AND X-mas avatar courtesy of The Nemesis

"Pull yourself together!" - Solid Snake to Otacon, multiple times in the series
Cloned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2013, 07:57 AM
AJGass4

I don't want to see Sams or Reed back.

If they are, well it really proves just how f'd up this franchise is. Rhodes is delusional and he has no brains when it comes to sports so just go away.

AJGass4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2013, 08:36 AM
Gord
failed rebuild

I know a lot of you don't like Terry Jones, but his comment today was dead on.

"Whoever the next coach of the Eskimos is going to be, the guy better be somebody who has control of his emotions and have calm decision making abilities in pressure situations."

Old
10-28-2013, 08:48 AM
Dorian2
The bag don't lie.

vCash: 50
OT

Can someone please fix the title of this thread.

It's driving me bonkers.

Dorian2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2013, 08:53 AM
abootzky

Quote:
I know a lot of you don't like Terry Jones, but his comment today was dead on.

"Whoever the next coach of the Eskimos is going to be, the guy better be somebody who has control of his emotions and have calm decision making abilities in pressure situations."
You need Terry Jones to tell you that? I've been saying it (first hoping Reed could do it himself and more recently about the next HC) since the series of sideline gong shows last season.

abootzky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2013, 08:56 AM
Gord
failed rebuild

Quote:
Originally Posted by abootzky View Post
You need Terry Jones to tell you that? I've been saying it (first hoping Reed could do it himself and more recently about the next HC) since the series of sideline gong shows last season.
Of course I didn't need him to tell me, but it's always nice to see and hear it again, especially from the media.

I don't want anyone to confuse his tantrums for positive passion.

because you know that Hervey and Rhodes are going to give credit to his passion for the team and for the game of football. and say it just shows how much he cares.
~gag~

Old
10-28-2013, 09:11 AM
abootzky

Quote:
Of course I didn't need him to tell me, but it's always nice to see and hear it again, especially from the media.

I don't want anyone to confuse his tantrums for positive passion because you know that Hervey and Rhodes are going to give credit to his passion for the team and for the game of football. and say it just shows how much he cares.
~gag~
Kavis Reed: decent man, bad head coach. Actually the same could be said for Richie Hall and Danny Maciocia as well. Right or wrong, Kavis received a little more leeway than the other two probably because he was a good Eskimo player and a loud/proud trumpeter of the so-called 'Eskimo way'.

Notice that I am talking about Reed in the past tense because, no matter how hard Terry Jones is praying for it and the juicy negative material it would provide for him, he will not be back next season.

Old
10-28-2013, 11:20 AM
Gord
failed rebuild

Quote:
Kavis Reed: decent man, bad head coach. Actually the same could be said for Richie Hall and Danny Maciocia as well. Right or wrong, Kavis received a little more leeway than the other two probably because he was a good Eskimo player and a loud/proud trumpeter of the so-called 'Eskimo way'.

Notice that I am talking about Reed in the past tense because, no matter how hard Terry Jones is praying for it and the juicy negative material it would provide for him, he will not be back next season.
despite your dislike of Jones, he doesn't want Reed back as coach.

doesn't matter, really. I don't trust hervey or Rhodes to make a smart choice anyway.

Old
10-28-2013, 11:41 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:

I don't want anyone to confuse his tantrums for positive passion.

because you know that Hervey and Rhodes are going to give credit to his passion for the team and for the game of football. and say it just shows how much he cares.
~gag~
The bolded is interesting Gord.

Unfortunately so much of the assessment of coaches seems to be subjective.

Early last season I was saying it looked like something was wrong with Reed the way he presented in postgame interviews. He looked basically incapable of calming himself. Just a bundle of stress and nervous energy. A person susceptible to being too wired is going to have a hard time maintaining calm, or emotional calm. It struck me that this guy would be random in the dressing room, on the field(obviously) and would react sometimes to internal feelings rather than looking at situations objectively and effectively.

A higher up like this is random, unpredictable, prone to rage, mixed emotions, fire, ice, and nice, and you never know what you're getting from one moment to the next.

Does anybody really want to work for a person like that?

I would ignore what some of the players say. Coaches/managers like this induce some kind of Stockholm Syndrome where the whole experience of dealing with the individual feels chaotic, unsure, but you get some sense that you know the person intimately and in some cases feel for them as an individual. you end up feeling like you go through a lot with them while accomplishing little. Kavis would have this in the Eskimo dressing room, an intense, even abusive individual but who is in charge of a group of individuals who depending on their life experience may perceive such continual abuse as "caring". As in this guy sure cares a lot, look at him bleed..

Its disturbing. Its not the Eskimo way.

The Eskimo way was determined by healthy leadership from guys like Ray Jauch, Hugh Campbell who had their heads firmly attached at all times and were appropriate, effective, and in control. They could be terse, hard, intense, but when it came your way you know you had it coming.

A professional org should look beyond apparent player deference and the players loving this guy. I think if they cut Reed and put a reasonable, capable coach in they would love playing for that guy a whole lot more. Players aren't always good for seeing the forest from the trees.

Old
10-28-2013, 11:44 AM
Psychoil

I think i'd support moving this eskimos out of edmonton, I cant stand their organization, incompetent is a compliment to them at this point. just move this hot garbage franchise please so we can stop embarrassing ourselves.

Psychoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2013, 11:52 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychoil View Post
I think i'd support moving this eskimos out of edmonton, I cant stand their organization, incompetent is a compliment to them at this point. just move this hot garbage franchise please so we can stop embarrassing ourselves.
Houston and Seattle don't need teams..

For people my age anyway I can't agree. The Eskimos are indelibly attached and a big part of Edmonton for decades. They were the huge big thing in the 50's and 70's, early 80's when Edmonton didn't have another big thing. When the Esks went to , and won, many Grey Cups the city would stop breathless at the edge of our seats. Even in the past decade as the Oil are continually striking out the org has produced champions.

This team meant everything to the city and I don't think we should forget that either.

Hard times, and I expect better, and I applaud people sending a message by not going to games until they get their **** togethr. But wishing them out of town? That to me does disservice to the history and passion. That would make us Ottawa, or Montreal, sad sack fan bases that won't support a club thick and thin.

AS pissed off as I get I would never want this lineage to fold. That would tarnish the legendary memories. The heroic performers. That would be the saddest thing.

Old
10-28-2013, 12:13 PM
Beerfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychoil View Post
So you are totally in favour of the Oilers moving as well I assume? The Oilers are at least as bad and have been at if longer.

Beerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2013, 01:21 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloned View Post
Part of it is because our players just aren't good enough. They don't put the opposition in situations where questionable calls can be made often enough. We don't have enough veterans who know how to "sell" certain plays - not saying outright diving but maybe a little verbal after every play at the ref to pressure him to eventually make a call, or a little acting on a play to exaggerate a penalty that otherwise wouldn't have been called.

Case in point: When Ray (who has the respect of the officials as a vet and as a good QB) was our QB, how many roughing the passer calls did we have go our way? Now that we have Reilly, how many obvious RTP calls have the officials not called?
I don't know its what the players on the field are doing. The PI on the Eskimo receiver couldn't be more obvious. Defender ran right over him going in the OPPOSITE direction.

It was blatant interference on a pattern that was open and would've scored. The Esks were furious at the non call.

What they stated on the broadcast, and I imagine the refs somehow deducted this as well, was that there wasn't intent, it was incidental. Well too bad, its still interference, we were still denied a TD. Why the odd interpretation (assumption) that it was accidental and a non call? Thats ridiculous.

This is the same league that was saved by the Eskimos in the Hugh Campbell era and who even prescribed to the theory that the Eskimos were too successful and this not being good for the league.

Fast forward and we continue to have a league that takes Edmonton economic success for granted and if theres ever any doubt side with the call that favors other clubs because the Esks being a losing club costs the league less peril than if other teams tank. I'm sure the commissioner, and other teams reps love it when the Eskimos lose and prefer it that way financially and otherwise.

When I stated troll officiating I'm not kidding, been going on for years and any number of controversial calls that always go against us and often enough impact outcomes. Like we need more misery here.

Old
10-28-2013, 03:11 PM
Skm

vCash: 1551
I wish the Esks GM was the neighbourhood bully who punched Kavis in his mouth!

Skm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2013, 06:20 PM
abootzky

Quote:
despite your dislike of Jones, he doesn't want Reed back as coach.
You're mistaking a sports columnist for a fan. We fans don't want Kavis back because we want our team to succeed. Jones is (and should be) all about selling papers and not about hoping our city's teams win. If a team goes against his opinion, it makes for a feud and feuds increase readership.

Quote:
doesn't matter, really. I don't trust hervey or Rhodes to make a smart choice anyway.
That makes sense given their track records. The team's terrible W-L record and declining ticket sales are pretty hard for them to ignore however.

Old
10-28-2013, 09:22 PM
oilers_guy_eddie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skm View Post
I wish the Esks GM was the neighbourhood bully who punched Kavis in his mouth!
I wish that Kavis and Hervey had gotten trampled by the Calgary Stampeders Touchdown Horse.

oilers_guy_eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 11:21 AM
Gord
failed rebuild

Quote:
You're mistaking a sports columnist for a fan. We fans don't want Kavis back because we want our team to succeed. Jones is (and should be) all about selling papers and not about hoping our city's teams win. If a team goes against his opinion, it makes for a feud and feuds increase readership.

That makes sense given their track records. The team's terrible W-L record and declining ticket sales are pretty hard for them to ignore however.
It wasn't that long ago when sitting in the stands it would be EVERY game we were wondering if the attendance would hit 40,000.
every game.
now we do the same thing, but wonder if the official attendance will be 30K with the actual attendance even hitting 25K.

they've lost a lot of support. both casual fans and hardcore.

Good thing Rhodes is a branding expert who is here to improve the game day experience, or I'd be worried.

Old
11-02-2013, 05:00 AM
bozwell
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 5007
thank god it is nearly over

bozwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2013, 10:29 AM
Gord
failed rebuild

riders will probably rest their players for the most part.
edmonton will have a chance.