HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Notices

"All Things AHL" Part II...

Old
10-21-2013, 10:51 AM
BleedBlue247

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOrganist View Post
I continue to be impressed by Allen. I was actually worried about his mindset this season. He said all the right things after he was sent to Chicago and knew it was coming but I'm sure he feels he is an NHL caliber goaltender at this point of his career. And yet here he is, playing in the AHL, for a fourth straight season. In a time-share no less. And this on the heels of the realistic offseason possibility that the Blues were going to deal one of their two NHL goalies to make room for him.

All I'm saying is that this was a ripe situation for a player to get pissed off about the situation and go through the motions in the minors and he's clearly not doing that. I really think Allen is going to be a stud. He seems just rock solid between the ears both on and off the ice.
It could end up working out even better than we thought. A motivated and hungry goalie is an incredible asset to have. If he keeps playing great hockey, I honestly do think we'll move Elliott. Granted this is conditional on Halak continuing to play well and staying healthy. We can be almost guaranteed that Allen is on the team next year. I'd like to see him get a chance to contribute this year as well.

BleedBlue247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2013, 12:01 PM
BlueDream

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOrganist View Post
I continue to be impressed by Allen. I was actually worried about his mindset this season. He said all the right things after he was sent to Chicago and knew it was coming but I'm sure he feels he is an NHL caliber goaltender at this point of his career. And yet here he is, playing in the AHL, for a fourth straight season. In a time-share no less. And this on the heels of the realistic offseason possibility that the Blues were going to deal one of their two NHL goalies to make room for him.

All I'm saying is that this was a ripe situation for a player to get pissed off about the situation and go through the motions in the minors and he's clearly not doing that. I really think Allen is going to be a stud. He seems just rock solid between the ears both on and off the ice.
I agree. I think he'll be a stud for the future. He has a lot of talent and seems like a good guy. I'm really excited about him.

BlueDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2013, 03:56 PM
PerryTurnbullfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDream View Post
I agree. I think he'll be a stud for the future. He has a lot of talent and seems like a good guy. I'm really excited about him.
ditto!

PerryTurnbullfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2013, 05:36 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

vCash: 50
Edmundson getting PP time and he looks competent offensively. He has future top 4 written all over him IMO. Our future defensive core could be ridiculous if our more defensive guys are also solid puck-movers with a decent amount of offense.

Chicago has completely sucked today though.

bleedblue1223 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2013, 05:46 AM
PerryTurnbullfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
Edmundson getting PP time and he looks competent offensively. He has future top 4 written all over him IMO. Our future defensive core could be ridiculous if our more defensive guys are also solid puck-movers with a decent amount of offense.

Chicago has completely sucked today though.
He would also replace some of the toughness we will be missing should Jackman retire

Old
10-28-2013, 07:08 AM
Alklha

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerryTurnbullfan View Post
He would also replace some of the toughness we will be missing should Jackman retire
I don't think we have to worry about Jax retiring any time soon, he'll have on just turned 34 when his current deal expires in 2015.

Great that Edmundson's transition to the pro game is going smoothly, even in the short term we need some defensive depth at AHL level.

Alklha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2013, 07:46 AM
PerryTurnbullfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alklha View Post
I don't think we have to worry about Jax retiring any time soon, he'll have on just turned 34 when his current deal expires in 2015.

Great that Edmundson's transition to the pro game is going smoothly, even in the short term we need some defensive depth at AHL level.
I don't think Jackman will play beyond when his deal expires. He made reference to being glad that he will finish as a Blue in his press conference. Maybe I'm reading into it too much, but that is why I think we will not continue playing beyond 2015. I could be wrong and he may do the Langenbrunner thing as an extra guy. He is slowing down, but is still serviceable. Edmundson has a way to go. I think we will see Hakanpaa first.

Old
10-28-2013, 11:34 AM
BleedBlue247

Hakanpaa is a righty no? I would think that if he plays well for Chicago, that Polak could potentially be available then.

BleedBlue247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2013, 11:42 AM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

vCash: 50
From what I've heard, Edmundson is probably closer than Hakanpaa, but both are a couple years away, so anything could change. Edmundson will take Jackman's spot and Hakanpaa will take Polak's spot, so that will also factor into who makes it first.

bleedblue1223 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2013, 07:07 PM
PerryTurnbullfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedBlue247 View Post
Hakanpaa is a righty no? I would think that if he plays well for Chicago, that Polak could potentially be available then.
Absolutely right...no pun intended... Edmundson is a lefty shot. I could see them both replacing the 5 and 6 guys in a couple years or if we are lucky maybe knock on the door by the end of this year. I for one think Polak may have alot more trade value at the deadline than he has long term value to us....meaning he may fetch an excellent prospect or high pick. His type is highly sought after looking at the past few trade deadlines. Maybe one of Cole, Hakanpaa or Edmundson may make him expendable? Not that I want to trade him, but his price may dictate moving him for the benefit of our team.

Old
11-07-2013, 07:19 PM
ChicagoBlues

Wolves at Checkers. I get to watch every Wolves game on TV.

Allen looked great. Nice n steady.

Cannone (Blues property) is a little sloppy with a couple long lateral passes through the offensive slot.

Fairchild is just okay. Couple of sloppy passes.

Rattle looks good (4 shots so far), but made a terrible no look drop pass just inside the blue line on a power play.

Aucoin was pylon worthy for the Checkers' first goal. Brace was Jaskin's man, but his stick was broken and Brace looked quite swift for Charlotte.

Shane Harper (not Blues property) plays a very good defensive game for a small forward.

Obvious Bolduc has been around for a while. He is very responsible when Shields steps up and very good on the dot.

Shields has offensive skill as was evident on his goal, however he allowed Checkers player to have his way in front of Allen.

Chorney is useless.

Andronov floats too much.

AC/DC on the PA.

ChicagoBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2013, 07:24 PM
ChicagoBlues

Overall very good team defense. Edmundson is mean. When he gets mad, watch out. You don't want him locking in on you.

Old
11-07-2013, 07:24 PM
Celtic Note
Chi Town Bound

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoBlues View Post
Wolves at Checkers. I get to watch every Wolves game on TV.

Allen looked great. Nice n steady.

Cannone (Blues property) is a little sloppy with a couple long lateral passes through the offensive slot.

Fairchild is just okay. Couple of sloppy passes.

Rattle looks good (4 shots so far), but made a terrible no look drop pass just inside the blue line on a power play.

Aucoin was pylon worthy for the Checkers' first goal. Brace was Jaskin's man, but his stick was broken and Brace looked quite swift for Charlotte.

Shane Harper (not Blues property) plays a very good defensive game for a small forward.

Obvious Bolduc has been around for a while. He is very responsible when Shields steps up and very good on the dot.

Shields has offensive skill as was evident on his goal, however he allowed Checkers player to have his way in front of Allen.

Chorney is useless.

Andronov floats too much.

AC/DC on the PA.
Nice update. I appreciated some of the random thoughts...i.e. what is on the PA.

I am moving to Chicago this month, so I hope to catch some Wolves games.

EDIT: Been a while since you been around ChicagoBlues..huh?

Celtic Note is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2013, 07:31 PM
ChicagoBlues

PP looks weak. Oberg (not Blues property) is Obad. (Darn auto correct who the heck is Oberhausen?)

Shields stepped up again, stole and fed a Wolves forward in front for the go ahead goal.

Last edited by ChicagoBlues: 11-07-2013 at 07:37 PM.
Old
11-07-2013, 07:32 PM
ChicagoBlues

A pass to Andronov in the offensive zone and he skates away from it to bench. What the....?!

Old
11-07-2013, 07:34 PM
ChicagoBlues

Metallica, then Manson on the PA. Very live boards/glass seams in Charlotte.

Old
11-07-2013, 07:46 PM
ChicagoBlues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celtic Note View Post
Nice update. I appreciated some of the random thoughts...i.e. what is on the PA.

I am moving to Chicago this month, so I hope to catch some Wolves games.

EDIT: Been a while since you been around ChicagoBlues..huh?
Cool! Chicago is a great town. Hit me up when you get here. Took a break from posting here for a while. You guys moderate well, but the quality of posting has gone down the tubes, which is a shame because this board was among the best. It is a bit Asylum-ish now. Just my stupid opinion, though, so who cares what I think.

Old
11-07-2013, 07:51 PM
ChicagoBlues

Oooooh! Allen accidentally knocked the crud out of a Checkers ice girl.

Old
11-07-2013, 07:57 PM
ChicagoBlues

Shattock is solid and comes to Allen's help when he needs to.

Shields with a great defensive play after Chorney wore his orange dunce cap.

Awesome! Rising Appalachia on the PA.

Jaskin with a power move and a great save by Muse!

EDIT: I hope Andronov just has the flu or something cuz he looks uninterested.

Hometown kid, Mike Davies (not Blues property) scored 15 goals last season for the Wolves, but he has looked terrible on a regular basis. Het blown by and just watches the play sometimes.

Dang! Great play by Fairchild to step up and nice pass to Rattie, who took out Muse hard. Muse shaken up.

Fairchild with a few very good outlet passes that Jaskin could not handle.

Our old pal Aaron Palushaj is as feisty as ever.

Few minutes remaining and Fairchild with a huge turn over and bailed out by Allen. Checkers are swarming the net.

Last edited by ChicagoBlues: 11-07-2013 at 08:22 PM.
Old
11-07-2013, 08:30 PM
ChicagoBlues

Wolves win 2-1!

Allen with 32 saves; 2 GREAT saves in final 3 seconds.

Palushaj is a chippy little b-word.

EDIT: My Three Stars

1. Jake Allen
2. David Shields
3. Alexandre Bolduc

Last edited by ChicagoBlues: 11-07-2013 at 08:39 PM.
Old
11-09-2013, 06:06 PM
ChicagoBlues

Wolves at Charlotte Checkers again.

Starting lineup:

Harper-Aucoin-Rattie
Chorney-Shields
Allen (5-3-1, 2.31GAA)

David Shields is 2nd in scoring for the Wolves with 7 points in 12 games.

Locke-Bolduc-Mancari play together.

Wolves players clogging the high slot well. Very good blue line play so far.

Andronov terrible backward pass in the defensive zone and saved by the post.

Shattock-Cannone-Jaskin look pretty good together.

Locke and Bolduc have chemistry and Edmundson stepping up to keep the puck deep.

What looks like the 4th line just played very poor defense after a line shift and gave up a goal. Andronov floating again. Not moving his feet. Hitch would say he is not stopping on the puck. Davies missed a chip out. Davies-C. Hanson-Andronov. Fairchild-Regner on the ice for that goal. Fairchild was active, but Andronov lost his man.

1-0 Checkers

Defense pairings:
Chorney-Shields
Oberg-Edmundson
Fairchild-Regner

1st PP unit:
Rattie-Harper-Aucoin
Oberg-Chorney

Fairchild on 2nd PP unit did very good job as QB, but Jaskin lost his man for a SH chance.

Wow! When Andronov decides to play he is difficult to stop. Just had a very solid shift and was forceful.

Great keep in by Shields!

Rattie looks a little off, but Shattock and Jaskin play well together. Digging Shattock.

Late in the period, Checkers swarming and Andronov standing around in his own zone waiting for a vulture bit. He got one and then dangled the Wolves to an offside.

Fairchild looks good.

Wolves attack in waves, but Muse is decent goalie.

Checker goaltender Muse has been outstanding.

1st intermission

2nd period start

Fairchild and Jaskin work well on the PP.

Shields stepped up in offensive zone and Rattie did a good job of covering, while getting himself open.

Last edited by ChicagoBlues: 11-09-2013 at 07:47 PM.
Old
11-09-2013, 07:08 PM
ChicagoBlues

2nd period

Shattock and Jaskin with a dangerous turnover.

Bolduc causing problems for Muse in front and Oberg blasts a shot through traffic.

1-1

Nice Wolves PP rotation, but Davies with a hard pass in front that Rattie missed. Dangerous that, if missed, caroms and provides juicy goodness for SH, which is exactly what happened.

Fairchild shaky on PP.

1st PK unit:

Shattock-Hanson
Chorney-Shields

2nd PK has Andronov and he was terrible. Collapsed too fast and screened instead of block shots.

Shattock very good PK. Jaskin jumped on PK and was good.

Andronov's second shift on this long PK was much better.

Cannone dancing around behind Allen turned it over, pass in front for primo scoring chance and a great save by Allen.

Locke-Bolduc-Mancari are very good AHL players. Very solid. They kind of have their way.

Shattock very good forecheck on the PK.

Bolduc and Hanson do not work well together on PK. Shattock is much better with Hanson on PK.

Wolves PP is generally dreadful, but Davies just blasted a one time slapper on a nice pass from Bolduc.
However, earlier Andronov played the first face off on that PP, looked completely lost and was yanked quickly.

2-1 Wolves.

Shattock very very good on the forecheck in offense zone late in the period, but long shift and Coaches should have called for a line change.

At the end of 2nd period Palushaj hit Jaskin hard into the boards and Rattie went after Palushaj. Nice! Jaskin is totally fine, no worries at all.

Totally not purposely dumping on Andronov. Calling it like I see it.

Last edited by ChicagoBlues: 11-09-2013 at 07:51 PM.
Old
11-09-2013, 08:03 PM
Celtic Note
Chi Town Bound

^ Shields is really getting a lot of playing time and assignments, huh?

Celtic Note is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2013, 08:07 PM
ChicagoBlues

3rd period

Another Checkers PP on a dirty play by Bolduc. Stuck an elbow/butt of stick in Checkers mouth.

Palushaj got in deep again and Shattock disrupted his great scoring chance.

Celtic Note, Shields in all situations.

Andronov turnover in neutral zone.

Edmundson needs to be more careful when passing from behind Allen.

Shields and Oberg very good box out on a ES scoring chance in front of Allen. Shields is very aware and seemingly calm. Looks better than Edmundson these past two games in Charlotte.

I like Fairchild's vision, but he needs to calm down.

Checkers can really swarm, but Shields and Oberg with another good play.

OMG! Andronov shot the puck on net!

Dang! Andronov draws attention to himself for all the wrong reasons.

Wolves PP, Jaskin on the ice with Fairchild.

Davies missed a wide open net.

Shields with real nice keep in on the PP.

ES...Checkers swarming again, but Shields has his head on a freaking swivel. Great positioning! I swear he can do a 360 Chuckie style!

Jaskin with a very nice shot on a two on one after corralling the puck.

Dang it! Checkers swarming again, but Fairchild with nice play down low.

Edmundson is a little loose down low after shift change.

I had Fairchild as LD, but he is RD.

Whew! Shields got beat down the left wing. He tried, but a good play by Checkers forward.

Shattock has a little bit of Cracknell in him. Maybe not as tenacious, but nearly as effective. Good upside for a Cracknell-type player.

Another Checkers PP!

Aucoin great PK work along the wall.

Shattock with Excellent takeaway on PK and nice outlet pass to Aucoin for nice high slot shot.

Final minute and very good Wolves shift change with extra Checkers forward.

Aucoin! Ugh! Long clearing pass right up the middle that luckily made it out of the zone.

Shattock with a final nice defensive play in his own zone with extra Checkers forward.

Last edited by ChicagoBlues: 11-09-2013 at 09:00 PM.
Old
11-09-2013, 08:40 PM
ChicagoBlues

Wolves win 2-1

Three Wolves Stars:
1. David Shields
2. Jake Allen
3. Tyler Shattock