HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

University/College Questions Part IV

Old
09-12-2013, 11:42 PM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by HABS2DCUP View Post
I didn't misread it.

It's ignorant because he said if you go to a private school, your not prepared for uni, whereas if you go to a public school you'll breeze through it. I'm not saying one is better than the other, but I'm saying that the school you go to is not the be all and end all for everything, it all depends on the person.

See the above post.
So...you DID misread it?

"Ultimately, Cegep is what you make of it"

He's saying it depends the person. That just because you go to a lesser known school doesn't mean you can't be successful and just because you go private doesn't mean you'll breeze by.

Now you're pretty much repeating the same thing...Did you go to private or public school?

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2013, 11:57 AM
Mathradio
Go Roy Munson!

vCash: 500
Anyone has the experience of having taken the GRE (most likely a subject test, since the general test can be written in Montreal from early September to late April) in Kingston? I just sent the registration form.

The GRE hotline told me that I will have to take the physics subject test on Queen's campus, while the list of test centers says that I will take the test elsewhere in the city ("Kingston Learning College" as listed for that test center). Which one is correct? I just don't want to get lost in the city on April 5th.

Mathradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2013, 10:48 PM
LyricalLyricist

Anyone know if you can get an internship job after you graduate? I know government gives to companies incentives to hire interns so I guess if you graduate they won't give incentive and they likely won't hire you, correct?

Old
10-06-2013, 11:13 PM
WhiskeySeven
Keeps hot stuff hot

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
Anyone know if you can get an internship job after you graduate? I know government gives to companies incentives to hire interns so I guess if you graduate they won't give incentive and they likely won't hire you, correct?
Depends on the field. Internships are all over the place - but, generally, they don't like giving out unpaid internships to grads/non-credit because then it's essentially unpaid labour and there's lots of problems with that.

On the rare chance that there are paid internships available, you're going to be competing with everybody who's been laid off in that field and is looking to get back. I'd recommend looking into entry-level positions in whatever field you're in and getting those elusive "3-5 years" of experience.

WhiskeySeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2013, 11:21 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
Depends on the field. Internships are all over the place - but, generally, they don't like giving out unpaid internships to grads/non-credit because then it's essentially unpaid labour and there's lots of problems with that.

On the rare chance that there are paid internships available, you're going to be competing with everybody who's been laid off in that field and is looking to get back. I'd recommend looking into entry-level positions in whatever field you're in and getting those elusive "3-5 years" of experience.
Thanks for the reply WS.

It's honestly not even for me. The problem is someone I know hasn't done a single internship and has poor work experience, just basically same stuff over and over and nothing spectacular. They feel they won't get a good job after they graduate this year(December) so they might look for an internship then when contract is over seek an entry level job.

I'm honestly not sure if a company will hire them as an intern because the company might not get financial assistance for it(Aka, they will be on hook for full pay). That's what I'm wondering. They are a Business student.

As for unpaid internships. I've honestly never ever had an issue because I'm lucky to be in a field where they pretty much don't exist. I did hear about companies giving small stipends for a business intern position but only once. Never heard it for engineering though(which I'm in).

For Arts degrees, I'd imagine there's more unpaid stuff.

Old
10-10-2013, 11:05 PM
attachetatuque
un gros bonhomme!

hey, Concordia students. Just had an online exam through Econcordia automatically submit itself. Anyone ever go through this? I emailed helpdesk and TA but didnt think of screencapt my test, wasn't expecting it. still had 25 minutes left on my clock, had until 11:10pm to submit it. I expect no one will answer me until tomorrow

I'm straight up tripppppppin balls

attachetatuque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2013, 06:16 PM
InglewoodJack

vCash: 1340
Quote:
Originally Posted by daGreenGiant View Post
hey, Concordia students. Just had an online exam through Econcordia automatically submit itself. Anyone ever go through this? I emailed helpdesk and TA but didnt think of screencapt my test, wasn't expecting it. still had 25 minutes left on my clock, had until 11:10pm to submit it. I expect no one will answer me until tomorrow

I'm straight up tripppppppin balls
Never happened, but let me know. Your internet might've messed up or something.

Has anyone ever taken Comm 222? It seems like an easy class, but I'm curious as what to expect, I feel like we haven't learned all that much.

InglewoodJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2013, 06:23 PM
mrheroz

CA

hey, what would be better if I want to be a chartered accountant, JMSB or HEC ? Anyone has some insights ? thx

mrheroz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2013, 06:33 PM
LaurentHabs
Galchenyuk2Collberg

Question about the R score, is it on your classes' average? Or the whole "level" average?

Ex: Psychology has an average of 89, and I got 94. Will the R score be calculkated with my class average of 89? Or the average of everyone that has the course?

Also heard that in CEGEP, some programs get a boosted R Score? Am in Commerce @ Dawson. Any clue if that helps me whatsoever?

LaurentHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2013, 06:38 PM
WHATaboutLOVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurentHabs View Post
Question about the R score, is it on your classes' average? Or the whole "level" average?

Ex: Psychology has an average of 89, and I got 94. Will the R score be calculkated with my class average of 89? Or the average of everyone that has the course?

Also heard that in CEGEP, some programs get a boosted R Score? Am in Commerce @ Dawson. Any clue if that helps me whatsoever?
It is calculated with the average of all the classes of a course with the same teacher. So in your example, it would be the average of all the averages of psychology classes with your teacher only.

The only program that gives an R score that I know of is ''Sciences Lettres et Art '' (gives 0.5 +). I don't know about yours.

If you have any questions about R scores don't hesistate.

WHATaboutLOVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2013, 06:40 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrheroz View Post
hey, what would be better if I want to be a chartered accountant, JMSB or HEC ? Anyone has some insights ? thx
JMSB tries to be known for accountancy. I don't think you can go wrong but considering I'm not a CA(or accountant) and not even in business my opinion means very little.

Old
10-28-2013, 08:22 PM
Mathradio
Go Roy Munson!

Can't believe how hard QFT tests are...

Old
10-28-2013, 08:37 PM
Alaix
I believe.

vCash: 883
Quote:
I'm pretty sure HEC is more reknowned...

Alaix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2013, 09:00 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaix View Post
After a little research, I believe they are ranked higher internationally.

Old
10-29-2013, 08:41 AM
Adamcrazy3

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
After a little research, I believe they are ranked higher internationally.
If you only care about university rankings, go to McGill.

Adamcrazy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2013, 09:52 AM
Mathradio
Go Roy Munson!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaix View Post
From a strict accounting standpoint, yes, HEC is more renowned than JMSB (and perhaps more even than McGill if you want to stay in Quebec for work; however don't quote me on HEC vs. McGill for accounting); are you sure that you have the grades to attend either?

Old
10-30-2013, 02:02 PM
mrheroz

Yes i have the grades to enter either hec or mcgill or concordia. But i think concordia is better because of the coop program no? having some experience is better when searching for a job. so im not sure whats better : experience in coop ( concordia) or going in a better college ( hec) ?

mrheroz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 03:30 PM
lostriver

Quote:
Yes i have the grades to enter either hec or mcgill or concordia. But i think concordia is better because of the coop program no? having some experience is better when searching for a job. so im not sure whats better : experience in coop ( concordia) or going in a better college ( hec) ?
in most of the fields, employer cares about name of your college once at best - when you are looking for your first job and work experience section in your CV is blank. coop programs give you a real chance to gain experience and make you much more marketable when it come to getting a job.

lostriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2013, 11:15 AM
InglewoodJack

vCash: 1340
Quote:
Originally Posted by HABS2DCUP View Post
I didn't misread it.

It's ignorant because he said if you go to a private school, your not prepared for uni, whereas if you go to a public school you'll breeze through it. I'm not saying one is better than the other, but I'm saying that the school you go to is not the be all and end all for everything, it all depends on the person.

See the above post.
This is a 6 week old quote, but it bugged me. I meant to say that you could go to a great school and still be unprepared for university, or you could go to a lesser school and still be prepared for university. I graduated from Marianopolis and I don't find myself in any better standing than my friends who graduated from Dawson are. I know tons of people I went to CEGEP with who aren't doing a whole lot right now, and many people from Dawson or Vanier who are becoming very successful.

I'm saying that CEGEP is what you make of it. If you're a hard worker, you'll do well in a 2400/semester school, or a 150/semester school.

InglewoodJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2013, 12:43 PM
HABS2DCUP

Quote:
Originally Posted by InglewoodJack View Post
This is a 6 week old quote, but it bugged me. I meant to say that you could go to a great school and still be unprepared for university, or you could go to a lesser school and still be prepared for university. I graduated from Marianopolis and I don't find myself in any better standing than my friends who graduated from Dawson are. I know tons of people I went to CEGEP with who aren't doing a whole lot right now, and many people from Dawson or Vanier who are becoming very successful.

I'm saying that CEGEP is what you make of it. If you're a hard worker, you'll do well in a 2400/semester school, or a 150/semester school.
Yup, agreed. I guess I misinterpreted your initial post.

HABS2DCUP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2013, 12:56 PM
Price 89

Quote:
Originally Posted by InglewoodJack View Post

exactly, i did my first semester at marianopolis while all my friends went to dawson or vanier. I switched to dawson in my second semester. All my friends and I have graduated from accounting, engineering & finance in university. We are now all studying to get our designation whether it is to become a CFA or CPA.

The only advantage I'd give private schools is that you will probably meet better contacts for your future.

Price 89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2013, 08:58 PM

Hey guys,

I forgot to apply to UQAM for the winter 2014 trimester like a dumbass. Deadline was on November 1st. Am I ****ed or is there still a chance they will accept me even after the deadline? I don't want to wait until the autumn trimester.

68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2013, 09:00 PM
WhiskeySeven
Keeps hot stuff hot

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 View Post
Hey guys,

I forgot to apply to UQAM for the winter 2014 trimester like a dumbass. Deadline was on November 1st. Am I ****ed or is there still a chance they will accept me even after the deadline? I don't want to wait until the autumn trimester.
Call and call and call, talk to everyone, lie do whatever. Don't believe the secretaries line, just try to get your papers in asap. Don't be shy to call.

WhiskeySeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2013, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Call and call and call, talk to everyone, lie do whatever. Don't believe the secretaries line, just try to get your papers in asap. Don't be shy to call.
Thanks man. Will call first thing in the morning.

68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2013, 09:07 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
What he said. Never hurts to try anyway.