HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Plekanec Proving His Worth

Old
12-13-2006, 12:17 AM
nyhabsfan
Waiting for #25.....

vCash: 500
Plekanec Proving His Worth

Plekanec has played very well on his second stint as the #2 center, especially when you consider his wingers often seem disinterested at times.

I am very pleased with his play, you saw his skill with that awesome puck between the legs move at full speed. Samsanov's 2nd goal was all Plekanec with a strip of Chara.

The kid deserves to stay on at center... but this is what I would do, and I've said it all year long.

Higgins...Koivu---Ryder (This line was one of the best in the league)
Samsanov--Plekanec--Kovy (Starting to heat up)
Perezhogin--Bonk---Johnson (Great two way line)
Lats---Lappy---Begin (Love this line, even better would better with Kotys)

4 lines that can score and the kid line has size, speed, energy and skill!!!

Komi---Markov
Souray--Dandy
Rivet--Boullion

Nimiinaa, Streit Downey, Murray extras. Send Downey to the minors.

nyhabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2006, 12:21 AM
phil666

kovalev needs to be moved with koivu or he won't do anything all year.

phil666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2006, 12:24 AM
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor

It was more evident than ever tonight. Kovalev is the weak link on that second line.

12-13-2006, 12:26 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
We've seen the second line "start to heat up" earlier in the year, and then Samsonov went on his 20 game goalless skid...so forgive me for remaining skeptical after tonight, even though Sammy and Plekanec both played great.

I also don't agree with your assessment that Plekanec has been a very good second line center, he's much more suited to a role on the 3rd or 4th line at this point in his career. But if he can manage to play every game like he did tonight, I'll be happy.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2006, 01:17 AM
Good Time Hutchy

Pleks played great tonight.That Chara strip with the pass from the nees was amazing.

Good Time Hutchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2006, 02:23 AM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

I think plekanec has been an unfair scapegoat on the 2nd line.

If we could get one of his 2 linemates to play with some spirit, then plekanec's efforts will look alot better.

Samsonov and plekanec were little buzzsaws out there tonight. They were moving their legs and playing with passion.

Even last season in the playoffs, the perez/plekanec duo was effective due to their work ethic.

Pleks cant do it by himself but if he can get some decent amount of work ethic from one of his mates (preferrably both), then he should be just fine.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2006, 02:27 AM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedScull View Post
It was more evident than ever tonight. Kovalev is the weak link on that second line.

Thats what happen when you play this game with little emotion... Kovalev is a floater, a lazzy and hartless player. I would be surprised to see him spend the whole year as a Habs...

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2006, 02:34 AM
Garo

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedScull View Post
Agree... For some reason he has absolutely no chemistry with either, while Samsonov and Plekanec are looking good together.

Someone like Higgins, Latendresse or even Ryder if he would stop trying to start the rush would be a better fit.

Garo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2006, 06:10 AM
didouche
CHANGE is coming!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett View Post
I think plekanec has been an unfair scapegoat on the 2nd line.

If we could get one of his 2 linemates to play with some spirit, then plekanec's efforts will look alot better.

Samsonov and plekanec were little buzzsaws out there tonight. They were moving their legs and playing with passion.

Even last season in the playoffs, the perez/plekanec duo was effective due to their work ethic.

Pleks cant do it by himself but if he can get some decent amount of work ethic from one of his mates (preferrably both), then he should be just fine.

my thoughts exactly

go pleks

didouche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2006, 06:54 AM
SerialSeb

Ithink Plecks finally decided to play with Samsonov instead of always playing to Kovalev. And Voilà!

I hope him and Sammy can keep there mutual playgoing and force Kovalev to match there play.

GO Plecks GO

SerialSeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2006, 08:08 AM
laubelroc

one good shift dont make a season please come alive.kovo has set him up no of times and he misses not a good offensive player.

laubelroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2006, 08:17 AM
Catch-22

Personally, and as a fan who thinks he has the potential to do so, I would like to see him light the lamp and produce consistently.

Catch-22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2006, 08:42 AM
The n00b King ©*

Quote:
Originally Posted by laubelroc View Post
one good shift dont make a season please come alive.kovo has set him up no of times and he misses not a good offensive player.
are you a morse coder?

The n00b King ©* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2006, 08:51 AM
Mad Habber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good Time Hutchy View Post
Pleks played great tonight.That Chara strip with the pass from the nees was amazing.
I can just picture Mike Ribiero doing this, knocking Big Chara of the puck, making a pass to an open man in front of the net.

Yeah in this dream, Ribs is 7 feet tall and 300 pounds, cause that's the only way that would happen.

On another note, anyone here think that Chara does not want to see the video of the little Hab that could, would and did knock him off the puck.

Mad Habber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2006, 08:58 AM
Dan K
HFBoards Partner

Send a message via MSN to Dan K
Honestly... IMO both Kovalev and Ryder are struggling quite a bit. Yes, Ryder gets his chances, but it seems more often than not, he messes up whatever he tries to do.

So why not switch the two and see if they'll work better on a different line?

If Higgins is not ready to go tomorrow night, why not try
Latendresse - Koivu - Kovalev
Samsonov - Plekanec - Ryder

Now admittedly, if Pleks and Sammy revert to their offensive outputs of a week ago, then you basically have no second line. But it's not like the second line was a huge threat out there with Kovy on it either.

Dan K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2006, 08:59 AM
ChuckyToGally
Former Carey Roy

I like Pleks a lot and he's the perfect kind of player for this team but IMO, he doesn't have his place on the first two lines. He gives all he can and he can do a nice job when there are injuries but there's no doubt in my mind that he will be the man out of the top two lines when Higgins comes back...

He will take Bonk spot next year on the third line and he will likely stay on that line for years. IMO, he will do an incredible job.

The problem on the top two lines is that the the two RW can't do the job. Kovy just doesn't want to play and Ryder misses too much chances. I mean, I'm seeing more consistency from him since a couple of games but he can't score. A guy like Cheechoo would have like 30 goals already if he had all the chances Ryder has.

I think that all we can do now is to switch Kovalev and Ryder. I don't know what they will do but I think that if they can't bring their games up to expectations, Ryder could be the first to pay.

ChuckyToGally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2006, 09:00 AM
ChuckyToGally
Former Carey Roy

Quote:
Originally Posted by #11 Saku Koivu View Post
Honestly... IMO both Kovalev and Ryder are struggling quite a bit. Yes, Ryder gets his chances, but it seems more often than not, he messes up whatever he tries to do.

So why not switch the two and see if they'll work better on a different line?

If Higgins is not ready to go tomorrow night, why not try
Latendresse - Koivu - Kovalev
Samsonov - Plekanec - Ryder

Now admittedly, if Pleks and Sammy revert to their offensive outputs of a week ago, then you basically have no second line. But it's not like the second line was a huge threat out there with Kovy on it either.
You beat me to it...

ChuckyToGally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2006, 09:14 AM
Catala

Send a message via MSN to Catala
Quote:
Originally Posted by phil666 View Post
agreed, that s what he s looking for anyways.

Catala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2006, 09:55 AM
hab

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil666 View Post
how true... the only player that really inspires kovalev to play hard is koivu, why we are wasting our time with ryder on that line is beyond me. 2 solid playmakers in pleks and samsonov on a line with ryder and he will still pop his 30 goals.

hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2006, 10:05 AM
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser

The second line really needs a garbage collector. Samsonov and Kovalev can do all the dipsy doodling they want, but until they get a guy in front of the net to create havok and collect the garbage, they won't succeed. I nominate Higgens to be their center once he returns or move Kovalev to center and have Latendresse move to their line. Here are some possibities for the top 3 lines assuming the 3rd line stays intact:

Kovalev Koivu Latendresse
Ryder Higgins Samsonov

Higgins Koivu Ryder
Latendresse Kovalev Samsonov

Higgins Koivu Latendresse
Samsonov Kovalev Ryder

Samsonov Koivu Latendresse
Ryder Higgins Kovalev

Samsonov Koivu Ryder
Kovalev Higgins Latendresse

Psycho Papa Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2006, 11:23 AM
GoHabsGO252006

Last night was definitely Plex's best game of the year.

He was very fast and was controlling the puck well. It looked like he and Sammy were finally starting to generate some chemistry while Kovy floated around the town.

I do agree Kovy needs to play with Saku and to be honest Ryder has been **** so I think it's about time. When Higgins comes back I would go one of two ways.

1. Higgins Koivu Lats
2. Higgins Koivu Kovy

Those are the options imo, Ryder has done nothing to retain his spot other than miss point blank scoring opportunities set up by Koivu, Lats and Kovy game in and game out.

GoHabsGO252006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2006, 12:05 PM
GSK*

DID I MISS SOMETHING ?

Yeah Plekanec was good yesterday but guys are bashing again Alexei Kovalev...(Didnt play his best game, true, but the pass on the first goal was nice)

i've watch 30 games of the Habs this year not missing 1 minutes of all games and Plekanec since his return on the second line he've blowed more then 5-6 open net or more then 10 scoring opportunities.

Plekanec missed a lot of scoring chance coming from Kovalev and when I say A LOT its a lot.

Plekanec is fast, speed, playmaking but he's a third line center, nothing more at this time

GSK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2006, 12:35 PM
Dan K
HFBoards Partner

Send a message via MSN to Dan K
Quote:
Originally Posted by CH Iggins View Post
DID I MISS SOMETHING ?

Yeah Plekanec was good yesterday but guys are bashing again Alexei Kovalev...(Didnt play his best game, true, but the pass on the first goal was nice)

i've watch 30 games of the Habs this year not missing 1 minutes of all games and Plekanec since his return on the second line he've blowed more then 5-6 open net or more then 10 scoring opportunities.

Plekanec missed a lot of scoring chance coming from Kovalev and when I say A LOT its a lot.

Plekanec is fast, speed, playmaking but he's a third line center, nothing more at this time
Yes, you did miss something lol.
This thread is not about bashing anyone. Sure, ideally Plekanec would be a third line center, but he's what we've got for #2 right now. And so we need to use what we have to come up with the best combinations. The current combinations are resulting in Kovalev being ineffective, so he needs to be moved elsewhere. Like to Koivu's wing.

Dan K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2006, 03:34 PM
pepperMonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by #11 Saku Koivu View Post
Yes, you did miss something lol.
This thread is not about bashing anyone. Sure, ideally Plekanec would be a third line center, but he's what we've got for #2 right now. And so we need to use what we have to come up with the best combinations. The current combinations are resulting in Kovalev being ineffective, so he needs to be moved elsewhere. Like to Koivu's wing.
huh? sorry, must have missed something but I thought this thread was about Pleky proving his worth as a 2nd line C....(and not about him being an ideal 3rd C playing 2nd C yatta yatta yatta)

pepperMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2006, 03:47 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezhogin_19 View Post
I like Pleks a lot and he's the perfect kind of player for this team but IMO, he doesn't have his place on the first two lines. He gives all he can and he can do a nice job when there are injuries but there's no doubt in my mind that he will be the man out of the top two lines when Higgins comes back...

He will take Bonk spot next year on the third line and he will likely stay on that line for years. IMO, he will do an incredible job.

The problem on the top two lines is that the the two RW can't do the job. Kovy just doesn't want to play and Ryder misses too much chances. I mean, I'm seeing more consistency from him since a couple of games but he can't score. A guy like Cheechoo would have like 30 goals already if he had all the chances Ryder has.

I think that all we can do now is to switch Kovalev and Ryder. I don't know what they will do but I think that if they can't bring their games up to expectations, Ryder could be the first to pay.
I think Gainey will try to re-sign Bonk, who has been excellent this season as the third line center.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote