HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs rank 5th in the NHL

Old
12-12-2006, 11:44 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

vCash: 500
Habs rank 7th in the NHL

Lets forget about all the useless power rankings and just look at the real NHL standings.

The habs are 7th overall in the entire NHL. (1st overall in terms of canadian teams. 5 points clear of the 2nd overall canadian team)

Going into the boston game, they were 2nd on the PK, and 3rd on the PP

And its not as if the habs are clicking on all cylinders in the process. There are still some tweaks that need to be made in order to maximize the assets that this team posesses. That is the scary part.

Last edited by Hackett: 12-13-2006 at 12:06 AM.
Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2006, 11:51 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett View Post
That is the scary part.
Not to mention the encouraging part.

Plus we've been playing without our highest scoring forward for quite some time now.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2006, 11:52 PM
Habsfan18
The Future

this year's version of the Habs is my favorite Habs team in years

Habsfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2006, 11:57 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sthabs View Post
Arent we 4th ?
We're 4th in the conference, technically. But we have more points than New Jersey so the team is 3rd in the conference point wise.

And on the other side, Anaheim and Nashville are ahead

So 5th overall.

Edit:

We're actually 7th... forgot to include San Jose and Mr. Ribeiro's club

Old
12-13-2006, 12:03 AM
znk

yeah...7th

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2006, 12:04 AM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by znk View Post
yeah...7th
if only I knew how to change the title

Old
12-13-2006, 12:09 AM
Sthabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett View Post
We're 4th in the conference, technically. But we have more points than New Jersey so the team is 3rd in the conference point wise.

And on the other side, Anaheim and Nashville are ahead

So 5th overall.

Edit:

We're actually 6th... forgot San Jose

True I was thinking about the conference...

If we keep on focusing on Buffalo and chasing them, I wouldnt be surprised if we end up around the same spot at then end of the season
But I m still waiting for the 4th lines to roll like they should, and when it will happen, we ll give buffalo some serious competition for the #1 spot in the division, and maybe 2nd in the conference
I believe it can happen...
Once there anything can happen but if you look at the season so far we re becomin better and better and thats thruout the injuries

Sthabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2006, 12:10 AM
joepaco

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post

Plus we've been playing without our highest scoring forward for quite some time now.
and not to mention that the one who should be our # 1 is far from playing like he is

joepaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2006, 12:13 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by joepaco View Post
and not to mention that the one who should be our # 1 is far from playing like he is
Koivu's been playing great.

Old
12-13-2006, 12:20 AM
Sthabs

the guy on our avatar isnt

Old
12-13-2006, 12:22 AM
joepaco

Quote:
Koivu's been playing great.
I was talking about Kovalev

joepaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2006, 12:30 AM
Sthabs

Quote:
Kovalev s not consistent enough to be considered a # 1

Old
12-13-2006, 12:30 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Oh I knew who you were talking about...and I don't think he's our number one.

Huet's been playing fine, a bad game against the Bruins (where a few of the goals weren't his fault) and a less than stellar performance against Buffalo is nothing to be worried about.

Old
12-13-2006, 02:43 AM
NewHabsEra*

...and our best winger coming back thursday or saturday...

The only prob we have at the moment is Kovalev... He is the only floater on this team, doesnt make our 2nd line work most of the time even strength... Lazzyness, individual plays, risky moves...

Trade Kovalev, call Kostitsyn up again.

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2006, 03:58 AM
Hab-a-maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsArea View Post

The only prob we have at the moment is Kovalev... He is the only floater on this team, doesnt make our 2nd line work most of the time even strength... Lazzyness, individual plays, risky moves...

Ah, you say it now but later... Look, I'm no fan of Kovy's play. He's everything you mentioned above and not only that he acts like a sour puss when called out. Oh, why can't he be the good type of Russian (like Ovechkin or Markov, not like whiner boys Fedorov and Mogilny). Anyway, methinks you and all those who say trade him now (while his value is low might I add) would live to regret it if he tore it up for some other team come playoff time. Cause healthy or not, he will do so for us. He coasted last season and then bagged us 5 goals in 7 games. He was one of the only reasons we won 2 games in Carolina. My plan for the future is this; stick with his antics for as long as tolerable the next 2 seasons while watching him make up for it in the post-season.

Then, year 4 of his deal rolls around (2008-09). He's bound to be amazing for 50g-100 pts. that year cause it's a contract season. So we get some magic out of him as he plays for money, then let him walk to give raises to our existing players and who can tell if there'll be money for UFA's remaining (this is a scenario in 2.5 years, y'know). Then you just move on cause by then I'm sure the Habs will be a cup contender capable of replacing Kovalev with the right moves. Anyway, Kovalev won't be a Hab past 2009 is my opinion. He's either lights out or disappointing when it comes to doling out the cash and if he's lights out, he'll become too expensive and some other suckers might think he's worth 7 million for 3 years of 90% mediocrity, 10% all-class world skills domination.

Hab-a-maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2006, 05:51 AM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hab-a-maniac View Post
Ah, you say it now but later... Look, I'm no fan of Kovy's play. He's everything you mentioned above and not only that he acts like a sour puss when called out. Oh, why can't he be the good type of Russian (like Ovechkin or Markov, not like whiner boys Fedorov and Mogilny). Anyway, methinks you and all those who say trade him now (while his value is low might I add) would live to regret it if he tore it up for some other team come playoff time. Cause healthy or not, he will do so for us. He coasted last season and then bagged us 5 goals in 7 games. He was one of the only reasons we won 2 games in Carolina. My plan for the future is this; stick with his antics for as long as tolerable the next 2 seasons while watching him make up for it in the post-season.

Then, year 4 of his deal rolls around (2008-09). He's bound to be amazing for 50g-100 pts. that year cause it's a contract season. So we get some magic out of him as he plays for money, then let him walk to give raises to our existing players and who can tell if there'll be money for UFA's remaining (this is a scenario in 2.5 years, y'know). Then you just move on cause by then I'm sure the Habs will be a cup contender capable of replacing Kovalev with the right moves. Anyway, Kovalev won't be a Hab past 2009 is my opinion. He's either lights out or disappointing when it comes to doling out the cash and if he's lights out, he'll become too expensive and some other suckers might think he's worth 7 million for 3 years of 90% mediocrity, 10% all-class world skills domination.
amazing post

I disagree with the opinion of kovy getting 100 points in his final year though. Despite the fact that its the last year of his contract, he never even got there with the supporting staff of jagr, straka, lang, lemieux etc.... That year, he got something like 40+ goals and 90+ points. If he couldn't hit 100 with that talent, he never will.

When we traded for him, he was on the last year of his contract, but he was doing nothing in NY. Granted, the whole ranger system was a complete circus at the time.

Old
12-13-2006, 08:48 AM
oli500

Whats more imprisive is that were finding ways to put up points even with some key injurys lately. Higgins-markov-souray. In the past if we would off had injurys to any of these players we would of gone downhill. Are young players are playing some great hockey wich is one of the reasons were in this position. Higgins before his injury was a key factor, latendresse is doing an amazing job for a 19 year old and then guys like perezhogin are just fantastic at both sides of the rink. And then you add the game that lapierre played last night. There nothing but positifs signs coming from are young players who may I add are all under the age of 24.

oli500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2006, 10:37 AM
Guy Caballero

I don't think you can even compare east to west in the standings anymore. It's almost meaningless. If we played in Detroit's division we'd have 50 points by now. We have the 3rd-best win % in the East, and that's pretty good.

Guy Caballero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2006, 10:49 AM
RC51

BTW, where is the current TSN power rankings?
last update on the 5th dec.

Since the Leafs lost all their games, lets not report any of this, it's all bad news.

RC51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2006, 10:56 AM
Guy Caballero

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC51 View Post

Since the Leafs lost all their games, lets not report any of this, it's all bad news.
The Leafs won last night, so they can print the new one now.

The Leafs should be no lower than 5th after Maurice's Bowman-like move of pulling Aubin when it was 3-1.

The Habs on the other hand? Well, they're only a .500 team in their last six games, so I can't see them any higher than 16.

Guy Caballero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2006, 12:30 PM
GSK*

Another post by me about Kovalev.

He have 21pts in 30games (7posts +2 in SO) + a lot of scoring chance blowed by his teamate (YES YOU PLEKANEC) and down the strech Kovalev is always the better player by far.

In the next 30 games, I'm welling (if he's not injured) to put my money (may be 1000$) that Kovalev will have 24 to 30pts in the next 30 games.

If he palyed 82 games, no doubt he'll reach more then 70pts.

For real, Koivu need to be the center of Kovalev and Latendresse at the Left Wing. Higgins, Sammy and Ryder on the second line. We all saw that Kovalev is a PP beast with Koivu, so why not try at even strench.

GSK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2006, 12:43 PM
Team_Spirit
Tinordi-Subban

vCash: 700
I was watching the news on sportsnet and i think Don Taylor ( he rules ) said the Habs are off to their best start scince 93.

Team_Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2006, 08:48 PM
westcoast habsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC51 View Post

He's on his Honeymoon. He mentioned in his mailbag that there wasn't going to be a power ranking this week because he would be away with his new bride. He's off somewhere in the Caribbean, I think. Anyways, he wrote that the next power rankings will go up on Monday, Dec. 18.

westcoast habsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2006, 10:09 PM
Slick Nick

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsArea View Post

Oh give it a break... the guy has 21 points in 30 games despite playing with your beloved Plekanec who's far from being a legit 2nd line center. I am also not pleased with his game as of latelty, but you're way too harsh on him. Before trying to trade him, try to give him a better centerman...

Slick Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2006, 10:13 PM
Kingbobert
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

and our best penalty killer (thats right same guy...)

and alot of line juggling...and Kovy not exactly up to par and AND having our #5 and #6 D's out for over half the games....

EVEN SCARIER

Kingbobert is offline   Reply With Quote