HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Should I play?

Old
10-28-2013, 10:48 PM
Islesfan24

vCash: 500
Should I play?

Hey there. So It's time, it's high school hockey season in my league. I started skating in april, learned the basics quick so by may/june I was practicing with my team. Now, after about 7 practices this season, my first game EVER is next sunday. I'll be honest, I am scared s#*$less. I can deliver a solid check, shoot, skate and stop on the right, skate backwards at about 1 mile an hour and can hold my own in scrimmages... But this is the big show.

I have been dreaming of putting on a hockey sweater ever since i was in elementary school... I am now a senior in high school and I can almost taste game time. I crave it. I think about hockey every day and I am hungry for that first goal in front of the fam... and girlfriend of course.

My coach says I am ready to play and last season, some kids were worse. Plus I work the hardest on the ice. It's a laid back league but its high school so there are the stories of the big illegal hits and fights.... This is my first contact sport EVER but I want to play.

I leave it to you. I am still on the fence. To dress? or not to dress? That is the question!

Islesfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2013, 11:12 PM
NJDevs430

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islesfan24 View Post
I leave it to you. I am still on the fence. To dress? or not to dress? That is the question!
Go for it.

Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable. (Sydney J. Harris)

NJDevs430 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2013, 11:28 PM
O23L
Worst tank ever.

Do it. You might only get a few shifts, but make the most of it. If you're not the most skilled, make sure you keep your damn head up when you have the puck, and don't take any bone headed penalties in your first game!

O23L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2013, 01:16 AM
StoneColdGMJN

Definitely do it. You'll regret it for years if you don't.

Not sure where you're located or what level of high school, but definitely take the proper measures to be safe out there. There are some real goons out there that take runs at people, and it's in your best interest to make sure to protect yourself on the ice. Always keep your head up, know where everybody is on the ice, don't turn towards the boards if a hit is coming, and just relax and enjoy yourself.

The worst thing you can do is over think it out there. Just go out, enjoy your time on the ice and keep it simple.

StoneColdGMJN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2013, 01:19 AM
Beauner

vCash: 50
High school hockey was awesome. Student sections, rivalries. Good stuff. ****in' play dude. I was basically the softest player on the ice at all times and I made it out alive, you'll be fine.

Beauner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2013, 01:37 AM
mkoivu9*

Yes, do it.

Do well and you can easily upgrade your girlfriend also.

mkoivu9* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2013, 02:28 AM
Bure All Day

High school hockey in the states? You can skate? you should be fine lol

Just avoid skating backwards, and keep your stick on the ice, especially when in the offensive zone.

Grind it out, get those pucks out of the corners, get it to your teammates, and go to the net, because good things will happen.]

Good luck!

Bure All Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2013, 02:35 AM
Calirose

No don't do it man. Waste of time.

Calirose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2013, 03:02 AM
mkoivu9*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bure All Day View Post
High school hockey in the states? You can skate? you should be fine lol

Just avoid skating backwards, and keep your stick on the ice, especially when in the offensive zone.

Grind it out, get those pucks out of the corners, get it to your teammates, and go to the net, because good things will happen.]

Good luck!
You act like high school hockey is like men's/beer league level

mkoivu9* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2013, 04:13 AM
jazzykat

Why practice if you don't put it to good use? Head always up, brain engaged, and do what the coach tells you. Go out there, do your job and reap the fruits of your training.

jazzykat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2013, 07:36 AM
shoeshine boy

trust your coach. if he says you're ready then you are ready.
just remember, this isn't the NHL. don't go around trying to cream guys just because your adrenaline is up. control your body, control your stick and you'll be fine.

shoeshine boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2013, 08:14 AM
TLow97

Speaking as someone who didn't make his high school team when he played, get your ass out there and play. Skate hard and make some good memories.

TLow97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2013, 08:54 AM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

Do it. I could always skate but I didn't start playing til intramurals in College. I regret not playing back then because now I play 2-3 times a week and I love it.

JDinkalage Morgoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2013, 09:34 AM
Canadiens1958

Play

Play. Definitely otherwise a lifetime of regrets may await you.

Canadiens1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2013, 09:24 PM
hilega

Play

Play! You will never get that time back!

hilega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2013, 11:14 PM
Jisatsu

The best practice you can do is to play. You can attend regular practices and scrimmage for years, but until you play, you'll never improve your actual game. Get those feet wet. Keep your stick on the ice, your elbows down, and your head up. You'll be fine. Remember your positioning and be where you have to be and you'll be golden.

Jisatsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2013, 11:51 PM
JoeCool16

Play, and as a piece of advice for your first game, go in lighthearted. You'll make some mistakes the first time so don't let them bug you, and don't let the other players bug you if they ride you for anything. Just be good-natured, have a fun time and you'll quickly learn what to work on and what you need to do to be successful in the league. Let us know how it goes!

And don't you dare back out, you said you were leaving this up to us and we're telling you to go

JoeCool16 is offline   Reply With Quote