HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Could Weber be trade. Alternate route proposal

Old
10-28-2013, 12:15 AM
XxPRODxX

vCash: 500
Could Weber be trade. Alternate route proposal

http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/sh...-surprise-you/

I hope we don't but everyone else is saying we will. I think trading Weber would be a big mistake. I feel we have to many depth forwards. I feel we can package Hendricks and Gaustad for that LHD (Smid) we so badly need. Then that leaves us to Spaling and Ellis. We could probably package them and a pick to get someone like Versteeg.

FORWARDS
Colin Wilson ($2.000m) / Mike Fisher ($4.200m) / Patric Hornqvist ($4.250m)
Gabriel Bourque ($0.775m) / Matt Cullen ($3.500m) / Kris Versteeg ($4.400m)
Viktor Stalberg ($3.000m) / Craig Smith ($2.000m) / Filip Forsberg ($1.461m)
Eric Nystrom ($2.500m) / Austin Watson ($1.112m) / Taylor Beck ($0.850m)
Richard Clune ($0.850m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Roman Josi ($4.000m) / Shea Weber ($7.857m)
Ladislav Smid ($3.500m) / Seth Jones ($3.225m)
Victor Bartley ($0.667m) / Kevin Klein ($2.900m)
GOALTENDERS
Pekka Rinne ($7.000m)
Magnus Hellberg ($0.925m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $60,971,310; BONUSES: $3,252,500
CAP SPACE (21-man roster): $6,581,190

Well what do you guys think and do you have any alternate ideas of your self

XxPRODxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2013, 12:33 AM
Montross

Beating a zombified horse here, but Weber is not going to be traded any time soon. I have no love for the guy as I personally think he wanted out and was shocked the team was able to come up with all of that money to match. But that is neither here nor there - just my opinion and those who think he didn't mind staying here could be right as well. Back to the topic.

Reasons he won't be moved: He is arguably the face of this franchise. With management desperate to keep the casual fan engaged, Weber is integral.

He is one of the best players in the NHL. You just don't trade hall of fame players away at their prime because other teams covet them.

The ownership swallowed a bitter pill in matching the offer sheet. They are forking over tens of millions of dollars to the guy over the space of just a couple of years. This ownership group would not invest so much into one player just to move him out of here once the money becomes much more reasonable to pay out to the guy.

I don't think any player is untouchable though. Jones could keep progressing and maybe in 3-4 years they could afford to move Weber to the highest bidder, since management can send him wherever they want. Who knows.

Montross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2013, 12:38 AM
Iron Duke

"Everyone else" is saying this?

Iron Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2013, 12:46 AM
goeb

Maybe if they got some young supreme goal scorer, but highly doubtful.

Finding that franchise defenseman is very difficult in today's NHL, I don't think the Preds want to give that up and go big on Seth Jones and Josi.

goeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2013, 12:57 AM
Iron Duke

Typical Proteau. I'll wait until he advocates the same for the Flyers and Giroux, or the Rangers and Nash and Lundqvist before taking him seriously. Not holding my breath...

Iron Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2013, 12:59 AM
Soundgarden

Uggh, another annoying canadien garbage piece telling us what we need to do. Instead of focusing on the next decade plus Weber will play here they want us to trade Weber because Rinne's month long injury.

Soundgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2013, 01:16 AM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

I love how the title says "The answer might surprise you" as if his own opinion is an answer, or his question is legitimate. Also a big fan of how this guy knows more about the team's finances and ability to take on a contract like Weber's better than the owners who, mind you, have all made millions upon millions of dollars because they are good businessmen.

Way to go, THN. Another hot, steaming pile of ****!

10-28-2013, 04:35 AM
sparkle twin
Real Deal

Send a message via ICQ to sparkle twin Send a message via AIM to sparkle twin
I guess things were going too well down here in Nashville (aside from Rinne's injury) this year that he had to re-hash the same old tired opinion.

sparkle twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2013, 06:23 AM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Duke View Post
Typical Proteau. I'll wait until he advocates the same for the Flyers and Giroux, or the Rangers and Nash and Lundqvist before taking him seriously. Not holding my breath...
...so I follow that link, post something almost identical to this in the comments (I didn't mention Nash), come back to this thread, and

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2013, 09:25 AM
glenngineer

If Jones/Josi and Klein/Ekholm can be out top 4 we trade Weber for a bonafide number 1 center or goal scorer plus another top 6 forward and a number 1 pick. That way we finally solidify the forward spots moving forward with the young depth we have now. Take our feelings out of it for a second and if we were to add a kopitar or getzlaf type to this team and still have the others as our top 4 on d we maximized an asset an Jones can be the franchise of the team. I would wait to make sure he and Ekholm can handle the minutes and NHL and if they can you move weber.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2013, 09:39 AM
Persona5

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
If Jones/Josi and Klein/Ekholm can be out top 4 we trade Weber for a bonafide number 1 center or goal scorer plus another top 6 forward and a number 1 pick. That way we finally solidify the forward spots moving forward with the young depth we have now. Take our feelings out of it for a second and if we were to add a kopitar or getzlaf type to this team and still have the others as our top 4 on d we maximized an asset an Jones can be the franchise of the team. I would wait to make sure he and Ekholm can handle the minutes and NHL and if they can you move weber.
If you move Weber you would need a D comming back. A left handed one would be the best. Bonafide top line centers are few and far between. We could get a really good prospect that could turn into one but not sure someone is going to move their #1 center that is already 100% proven.

The thing is Weber will not be moved until we have to rebuild. The Predators are not rebuilding so moving Weber is not an option because the only way to get enough value for him would be to go after young players.

In the end I do not see the Predators making any moves for at least another 30 or so games if they do at all.

Persona5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2013, 10:06 AM
predfan98

Weber trade moves.......the constant beating of the dead horse.....wondered how we were going to replace the constant radulov threads.....don't wonder anymore

predfan98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2013, 10:20 AM
Gnashville
Never trade Weber

Ahh THN the ones that ranted in 2007 that the team didn't move to Hamilton in it's team preview for the Predators. Never once mentioned the players or coaches just this team has no future and should be moved to Hamilton ASAP.

Last edited by Gnashville: 10-28-2013 at 10:30 AM.
Gnashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2013, 10:35 AM
Cashville
RIP Lindback

1) Pick star player out of hat
2) Make bold statement (e.g. "he MUST be traded for teh franchise / babies")
3) Collect page views and angry comments
4) ???
5) Profit

I'm fairly serious on this.

Cashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2013, 10:45 AM
predshabs

I say trade him now at 28 because he is still in his prime and will fetch you more than in 3-4 years as someone else said.
If you could get these three pieces from Edmonton, I believe we would be fine.
RNH-age 20 #1 Center
Schultz-age 23 RHD
Nurse-age 18 LHD

Wilson-RNH-Hornqvist
Stalberg-Fisher-Forsberg
Bourque-Cullen-Smith
Nystrom-Gaustad-Hendricks/Clune

Jones-Josi
J. Schultz-Ekholm
Klein-Bartley

Rinne
Hellberg

Do not forget after next year Cullen and Fisher are UFA. We still have Watson to come up along with Aberg to come over here next year. If Nurse turns into what we all think he will. We could turn around and trade Josi for another top six forward.

Last edited by predshabs: 10-29-2013 at 12:34 AM.
predshabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2013, 11:26 AM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
The several big IFs in your statement are what make trading Weber now highly unlikely. Josi's health is an issue. Ekholm's top 4 status is really unproven. Jones has 12 good games under his belt ... then again, so did Craig Smith and Jon Blum in their first appearances with the team. Much of his success to date is because of his partner ... he can make mistakes without worrying about them all blowing up in his face.

If the top four is workable without Weber, the next question becomes who do you trade for? As talented as Vanek and Moulson are, I would hesitate to ship a long term signed top tier player for an impending UFA. The risks are immense with that type of trade ... lose a stud on the blue line for a temporary fill up front then need to replace both next summer.

Not trading Weber for a rental places some severe limitations on potential partners. Maybe Edmonton? Florida? Philly?

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2013, 11:38 AM
thecloser

Weber to PHI

Voracek, Couturier, B. Schenn, Luke Schenn, 1st, 2nd to NSH

that's all i'm saying. gut philly. haha. I don't know whether to back this proposal or laugh at it. it's either way, no in between.

thecloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2013, 12:32 PM
Everlong
-

The answer that could have surprised me, wasn't very surprising.

Everlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2013, 12:33 AM
predshabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
The several big IFs in your statement are what make trading Weber now highly unlikely. Josi's health is an issue. Ekholm's top 4 status is really unproven. Jones has 12 good games under his belt ... then again, so did Craig Smith and Jon Blum in their first appearances with the team. Much of his success to date is because of his partner ... he can make mistakes without worrying about them all blowing up in his face.

If the top four is workable without Weber, the next question becomes who do you trade for? As talented as Vanek and Moulson are, I would hesitate to ship a long term signed top tier player for an impending UFA. The risks are immense with that type of trade ... lose a stud on the blue line for a temporary fill up front then need to replace both next summer.

Not trading Weber for a rental places some severe limitations on potential partners. Maybe Edmonton? Florida? Philly?
If/When Weber is traded poile will land young talent that will make this team better not any impending UFA's.

Old
10-29-2013, 12:36 AM
predshabs

One more argument that people always makes is the fact that we have paid 24% of his total contract. Well in two to three years think about how much we would have paid. So a Weber trade if coming will come sooner rather than later.

Old
10-29-2013, 12:40 AM
glenngineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post

And since I've posted this very trade idea in other places I should've put if the top 4 is a known quantity, we make the move to trade Weber. To me, this is a year or two down the road, not right now.

I never advocated trading for impending free agents. You trade for a young top 3 forward that is signed to a long term deal as well as getting a proven top 6 forward with a pick or prospect in the deal as well.

The points about Jones are warranted to some degree but the mistakes he's making now are more from playing his off side than his abilities as a defenseman. If he looks good on his off side, how will he look if he's playing his more natural position.

To someone else who said we need to land a defenseman in return for Weber, my question is why? If we have the top 4 of who I said in my earlier post, there is no need for a top 4 defenseman because we already have our top 4 slotted. We have some pieces to fill the bottom pairing or we can add one cheaply via free agency or trade if need be but you maximize what you can get for Weber up front as that is our biggest weakness and if you add a defenseman coming back, you negate some of his value and if we're going to trade him, it better be for some great offensive pieces.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2013, 03:32 AM
predshabs

Quote:
And since I've posted this very trade idea in other places I should've put if the top 4 is a known quantity, we make the move to trade Weber. To me, this is a year or two down the road, not right now.
Please explain the logic behind this?

Here is the way I see it.

1. Why pay any more of those bonuses if we are going to trade him? If the 24% of his salary already paid seems like a lot then does not the % it will be in a year or two seem even more crazy.

2. Value wise at the age of 28 is crazy right now. We know Philadelphia would love to have him and Edmonton is always brought up when Weber trades are brought up. So go get us some pieces to fill holes on this team in our top 6 preferably our top line like a #1 Center.

3. Defense wins championships but if you cannot score in the playoffs you will never win the cup. We need help on the top end and I am in favor of adding at least one more defensive piece in the trade such as Nurse if Edmonton gets Weber. So maybe a Combo of RNH,Nurse,J. Schultz who are a 20 year old #1 Center, a 19 year old LHD drafted behind Jones, and a 23 year old RHD PP quarterback respectfully.

Who knows but I believe if/When Weber is traded it will be alot sooner than later because if he is paid another bonus he will be here for the rest of that contract. Now is the time to trade him.

I could live without Schultz in trade if we got another top 6 forward.

Last edited by predshabs: 10-29-2013 at 03:39 AM.
Old
10-29-2013, 06:53 AM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by predshabs View Post
If/When Weber is traded poile will land young talent that will make this team better not any impending UFA's.
Really? You can make that definitive statement?

Old
10-29-2013, 08:57 AM
jwhouk
Cheesehead Pred

The day after Weber is traded, either Poile will tender his resignation or he will be fired.

jwhouk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2013, 09:27 AM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwhouk View Post
The day after Weber is traded, either Poile will tender his resignation or he will be fired.
It would depend when and why the trade occurs. If it happened this afternoon, I'd believe Poile was on his way for a mental evaluation. If it's in several years, Jones developed as hoped, Josi and / or Klein remain solid members of the blueline, the pipeline is restocked ... then maybe it makes sense to trade Weber.