HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Dean and Gord: Why we don't care that there is a game on.

Old
12-13-2006, 09:18 AM
Wondercarrot
Stone, Mr.

vCash: 500
Dean and Gord: Why we don't care that there is a game on.

I was very excited about the release of their upcoming book.
It looked to be a real winner, unfortunately ive seen an advance copy and they never actually get to the topic at hand and the preface takes up all 186 pages.

You know its bad enough when the games are free, but if im going to pay $11 to watch this game even though i've got Centre Ice, season tickets etc...it would be nice if those two ******** could actually spend some time calling the friggin' game.
I swear to god its a competition between those 2 to see who can drag out an asinine anecdote the longest, (Dean usually wins as his windbag is the far larger of the two).
I especially love how it appears as though the game is interferring with their riveting tales.

SHUT THE FLOCK UP AND CALL THE DAMN GAME OR JUST SHUT UP.
PLEASE, PLEASE JUST SHUUUUUUUUUT UUUUUUUUUUUUUP.

Last edited by discostu: 12-14-2006 at 08:03 AM.
Wondercarrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2006, 09:24 AM
armani
Guy Likes

vCash: 1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wondercarrot View Post
It looked to be a real winner, unfortunately ive seen an advance copy and they never actually get to the topic at hand and the preface takes up all 186 pages.

You know its bad enough when the games are free, but if im going to pay $11 to watch this game even though i've got Centre Ice, season tickets etc...it would be nice if those two dipsh!ts could actually spend some time calling the friggin' game.
I swear to god its a competition between those 2 to see who can drag out an asinine anecdote the longest, (Dean usually wins as his windbag is the far larger of the two).
I especially love how it appears as though the game is interferring with their riveting tales.

armani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2006, 09:25 AM
NyQuil
Can't Play Defence

Yeah, it's getting a bit outrageous out there.

NyQuil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2006, 09:26 AM
CheeseSandwich*

I guess they have the attitude that it's just a fun game people are listening to for entertainment. Nothing to be taken too seriously.

I like them. Win or lose they are fun to listen to and seem like good guys.

CheeseSandwich* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2006, 09:36 AM
Redden Punches Faces*

I can tolerate Dean, although I agree about his wind-baggedness.

Gord is a ****ing piece of **** whom I hope chokes to death while inserting "Dean"s name at least 4 or 5 times into every ridiculous whiney rant that he goes on during a typical broadcast. I hate him more than I ever thought it possible to hate something.

Redden Punches Faces* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2006, 09:39 AM
NyQuil
Can't Play Defence

I don't have a problem with that, but their role is to identify the players and such for me as well.

It's annoying when there's all kinds of game action going on and they're reminiscing about something.

NyQuil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2006, 09:41 AM
Bytown

Quote:

You know its bad enough when the games are free, but if im going to pay $11 to watch this game even though i've got Centre Ice, season tickets etc...it would be nice if those two dipsh!ts could actually spend some time calling the friggin' game.

Well the fact is they were asked by many fans to do this so called non gamne talk.Blame then all you want but you should aslo be pointing the finger at the fans that asked for this.Both are on the verge of beeing hired by cbc.

Bytown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2006, 10:01 AM
Brandi

Quote:
Originally Posted by preissing on aisle 9 View Post
I guess they have the attitude that it's just a fun game people are listening to for entertainment. Nothing to be taken too seriously.

I like them. Win or lose they are fun to listen to and seem like good guys.
I agree. I like them too. So many complaints out there about other commentators and how they don't support the team.

These guys do, and they get so worked up it's funny. I always get a good chuckle.

Brandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2006, 10:06 AM
Silvercup Returns
classless chick :(

vCash: 50
Send a message via Skype™ to Silvercup Returns
bah, I'm better than both of them.

I have Red Bull.

I HAVE WINGS!

Twitter: @livelikeagypsy
Silvercup Returns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2006, 10:23 AM
brucegarrioch

They're both blowhards and I don't think they've got an ethical bone in their body, much less a spine, as they've fallen victim to management's iron fist ruling and wouldn't dare say anything negative about the team.

They're so full of it it's not even funny.

brucegarrioch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2006, 10:43 AM
Roy G Biv*

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydog2008 View Post
Well the fact is they were asked by many fans to do this so called non gamne talk.Blame then all you want but you should aslo be pointing the finger at the fans that asked for this.Both are on the verge of beeing hired by cbc.
I wish jaydog would call the games. He'd try to call goals 10 min before they're scored.

But yah, Dean used to be great, but has gone to the ******* since. Or maybe I'm just not 14 anymore...

Gord was, and will always be a ******. If Gary Galley were to take a ******, he'd take a Gord.

Roy G Biv* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2006, 11:50 AM
IHWR
The Chiropractor

I work on a local sports show and one of my jobs is to mic the guests then test their levels. So I usually test their mics while they have informal discussions before the show and Dean has a bad case of the "sailor mouth". I almost hit the floor when I heard ole Deano call Chris Phillips a ******* f** because of the shirt he had on. Now if he called the game like that maybe I'd listen.

IHWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2006, 12:20 PM
hockeycountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatewaderedden View Post
I work on a local sports show and one of my jobs is to mic the guests then test their levels. So I usually test their mics while they have informal discussions before the show and Dean has a bad case of the "sailor mouth". I almost hit the floor when I heard ole Deano call Chris Phillips a ******* f** because of the shirt he had on. Now if he called the game like that maybe I'd listen.
I was just about to say that I don't find Dean as nauseating when he's with Gary, but if that's true, I retract. Nauseating all around!

It's even worse when you have to listen to those two on Team 1200 -- at least on TV, I can still see the plays that they're ignoring.

hockeycountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2006, 12:26 PM
kyle747

Glad it's not just me.
During the PPV game my buddy and I couldn't believe how much of the game they spent talking about other crap. The game was busy going on and they were talking about themselves or some stupid stat/story.
I ended up turning on team1200 and listening to the best play-by-play in Canada with Dave Schreiber

kyle747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2006, 12:30 PM
Puck
Ninja

I wonder if the producer might have asked Dean and Gord to to ham it up a bit on the telecasts. I dunno. But when they do it too often it is annoying. Maybe 3 or 4 times a year if it is an interesting sidestory but not every game. They become the show and not the game and that shouldn't be. Maybe they have been on so long that we know what they are going to say before they say it. That's why I really enjoyed listening to Grant Ledger(?) who was the second analyst last night. It was a breath of fresh air and a different analytical outlook to the game and not the same repetition. I also like hearing Galley as an analyst sometimes too, he brings a different perspective to the game compared to the regulars. The analysts who played the game at that level for 17-19 years sometimes see things a pro-commentator doesn't. The pro-commentators might have good communication skills and have picked up info from the coaches and insiders and might be smart guys but they don't have that perception an old vet might have.

Puck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2006, 12:41 PM
jamiebez

My wife walked in the room during a game last week and said (without looking at the TV) "What in the hell are those guys talking about? Isn't there a game going on?"

FWIW, I think they've gotten a lot worse this season, too.

jamiebez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2006, 01:17 PM
IHWR
The Chiropractor

How funny was that post game wrap-up they did? It was this weird 2 shot that looked like Gord was sitting on Dean's lap sideways. It was really awkward looking. I couldn't really hear what they were talking about as I was enjoying my $2.50 firecracker chicken wraps at O'Connors...which for some inexplicable reason was dead.

IHWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2006, 02:42 PM
RTWAP*

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiebez View Post
My wife walked in the room during a game last week and said (without looking at the TV) "What in the hell are those guys talking about? Isn't there a game going on?"

FWIW, I think they've gotten a lot worse this season, too.
They seem to have good games and bad games. It's like they feed off each other's boredom, like noisy kids at the back of class.

But I haven't listened lately. If they're doing that routine in a nail-biter like last nights game then there's a serious problem.

RTWAP* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2006, 04:54 PM
thinkwild
Veni Vidi Toga

haha, that was hilarious. It was like they were trying to come up with new things they could do for the ppv telecast, and they said, "hey you know when we ramble for minutes at a time during a game? Lets turn that into a feature."

I noticed a few times in the past, that Dean and Gord would take a lull in the action to go off on a talk. But, we can all see the tv anyway and there's not much happening. But i noticed several times when they did that, that the Sens would get scored on. Dean and Gords picking up on the Sens momentary intensity drop, would actually foreshadow goals against us. Because the team was drifting off leading Dean and Gord to babble. But I havent noticed that as a tell yet this year.

Even as talkative as they are though, filling all that time with only one break of musak and still picture for a few seconds, was pretty tough. And they didnt seem comfortable with that camera angle on them either.

Mlakars taking us on the dressing room tour was cool, and Grant Ledyard brought great insight like Galley, but really, why cant they do that at any other game? I dont really see what ppv features really added so much to the game that i would pay $10 bucks for it over the A channel.

I also found the no commerical breaks tough though, so i guess i was interested. But i cant for the life of me understand what fans are referring to when they say they saw the telecast for free and it inspired them to pay for it next time? What did? CBC is better. But inevitably, they will get better at it, unfortunately.

Maybe they didnt get a good read on numbers cause of the techincal snafu. Think they got good ratings numbers for it?

thinkwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2006, 05:26 PM
SENSational

Commentators are useless. Watching a game is so much more enjoyable when there is nobody constantky talking. I remember in the playoffs, CBC messed up and you couldn't hear the comentators for most of the first period of some game (I think it was Montreal and Carolina). The game was 100x more enjoyable to watch.

SENSational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2006, 06:06 PM
Halifax Hellfish

Quote:
pages.

You know its bad enough when the games are free, but if im going to pay $11 to watch this game even though i've got Centre Ice, season tickets etc....
Thats odd because I watched some of last nights Ottawa vs. Detroit game on CenterIce and I live in Ottawa.

Halifax Hellfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2006, 06:39 PM
Gr8full

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halifax Hellfish View Post
Thats odd because I watched some of last nights Ottawa vs. Detroit game on CenterIce and I live in Ottawa.
You must have Express Vu,they had a free preview and the game was on,but for Rogers customers it wasn't.

Gr8full is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2006, 08:58 PM
natoono

Send a message via MSN to natoono
Not know really what's going on here but having an idea, it seems like their calling it a very european way of things,

If you ever watch a football game then most of it is talking about something random and occasionally about the game. This is mainly due to people watching the game having these things called eyes so ca identify what's going on themselves, and if the game was called like it is in NA them most euros unless its on the radio would think your insulting their intelligence

natoono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2006, 09:00 PM
Brandi

Natoono ... You have more Vcash than posts. Woweee!

You're a good gambler.

Brandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2006, 07:33 AM
natoono

Send a message via MSN to natoono
Down to only betting on sports you know... (i.e EPL)

and also betting agasint the sens, if they win im happy if they lose i get Vbookie cash

natoono is offline   Reply With Quote