HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

John Scott Suspended 7 Games

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-29-2013, 06:50 AM
  #76
TCL40
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 17,501
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycpunk1 View Post
Someone suggested this was coming from the player/PA side of things in a thread on the main board. Not sure where this info came from, but it makes sense. Pretty sure the reps and Scott would be making some noise if the delay was coming from the other side.
I agree. My guess is whoever his rep is wanted some time to prepare perhaps and given that it's an in person hearing chances were good he was missing the three games anyway.

I am not a fan of giving players a freebie because it's a first offense. Head shots are head shots.

I think the NHLPA and the NHL need to make it as painful as possible to both the player and the team. There should be some room for discretion when it comes to more borderline stuff that isn't targeting the head but in a hit where principle contact is the head they league needs to come down hard.


My guess is Scott gets 5 games but I hope it's 10.

TCL40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2013, 08:28 AM
  #77
Salem13
Registered User
 
Salem13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Salem,Mass
Country: United States
Posts: 2,824
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCL40 View Post
Oh yeah-Krejci is some mean tough guy and I am pretty sure Chris Kelly could out nice Bergeron.

Some fans are delusional.

Noted tough guy David Krejci ... are you kidding me?!?!


Salem13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2013, 08:46 AM
  #78
Dom - OHL
http://ohlwriters.co
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Stratford, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,369
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Dom - OHL
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycpunk1 View Post
Someone suggested this was coming from the player/PA side of things in a thread on the main board. Not sure where this info came from, but it makes sense. Pretty sure the reps and Scott would be making some noise if the delay was coming from the other side.
The player and team are allowed 2 full days to prepare their "defense" (practice days don't count) if they feel they won't be prepared in the 48 hours the CBA deems "reasonable amount of time to conduct a hearing".

Oct 23: At home to Boston, day of the incident
Oct 24: Travel day to Florida
Oct 25: Game day against the Panthers
Oct 26: Game day against the Lightning
Oct 27: Travel day home
Oct 28: At home to Dallas
Oct 29: Off day - their first one
Oct 30: Off day - their second one
Oct 31: Hearing day in New York - coincidentally, where they are playing as well.

Dom - OHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2013, 08:51 AM
  #79
Pie O My
Registered User
 
Pie O My's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Shawmut Center
Country: Armenia
Posts: 7,530
vCash: 500
i'm predicting a 22 game suspension.

Pie O My is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2013, 09:54 AM
  #80
Roll 4 Lines
Gitchyasum!
 
Roll 4 Lines's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Bear Country
Country: United States
Posts: 5,865
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mislysBB View Post
According to all of those posts on the main board, Bergeron and Rask are the only players on the team that aren't dirty.
Guess they didn't see Bergy holding Crosby, so's big Z could slug him in the jaw!

Roll 4 Lines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2013, 10:02 AM
  #81
Mazzie
Registered User
 
Mazzie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Southwest Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 840
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BallroomBitz View Post
When was he ever given the shot? I'm not defending him, but the guy has been a victim of his size throughout his career. When you only get 4 minutes a night, you have to do what's expected or you will be unemployed.
Don Cherry said pretty much the same thing...

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=688642

Mazzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2013, 10:07 AM
  #82
Mazzie
Registered User
 
Mazzie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Southwest Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 840
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bocephus86 View Post
If they really want to punish the Sabres they should force Scott to play 20 minutes a night for 10 games. But the Sabres are already in full suck mode so that wouldn't be much of a "punishment"
I think they should duct tape Kaleta's and Scott's legs together like they did for those three legged race at summer camp. As far as I'm concerned, they can still count as one player when they're on the ice, because they don't even equal one player when not taped together.

Mazzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2013, 03:32 PM
  #83
Serge A Storms
Registered User
 
Serge A Storms's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Connecticut
Country: United States
Posts: 160
vCash: 500
Some of you guys are insane if you think Scott is getting more than 5 games for the hit.

Yeah, he's a terrible hockey player and a goon, but he has zero suspension history. That was his first non-fighting major of his career. Head hits get 5 games for first time offenders, usually. I don't see why it would be any different for him.

It sucks, but that's the way it is. I wouldn't get your hopes up about the NHL throwing the book at him. He would probably win an appeal if they tried.


Last edited by Serge A Storms: 10-29-2013 at 03:48 PM.
Serge A Storms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2013, 05:29 PM
  #84
DarrenBanks56
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 3,409
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serge A Storms View Post
Some of you guys are insane if you think Scott is getting more than 5 games for the hit.

Yeah, he's a terrible hockey player and a goon, but he has zero suspension history. That was his first non-fighting major of his career. Head hits get 5 games for first time offenders, usually. I don't see why it would be any different for him.

It sucks, but that's the way it is. I wouldn't get your hopes up about the NHL throwing the book at him. He would probably win an appeal if they tried.
i dont care what he gets.
i care about what the Bruins do the next time we face him and his team.

DarrenBanks56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2013, 05:47 PM
  #85
putabergeronthegrill
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 970
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrenBanks56 View Post
i dont care what he gets.
i care about what the Bruins do the next time we face him and his team.
was mcquaid fighting him not enough? what is enough for you? fighting him again? come on...

putabergeronthegrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2013, 06:00 PM
  #86
gsr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 17
vCash: 500
I'd rather see the Bruins win a bunch of games and go deep into the playoffs (and possibly win the cup) than worry about gooning it up against an irrelevant team like Buffalo. If we goon it up, we're just stooping to their level.

gsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2013, 07:31 PM
  #87
Bi Coastal Bawse*
RIP Sam Berns
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Bay Area, California
Country: United States
Posts: 10,281
vCash: 500
Yeah lets skate around him! Worked so well last game.

Bi Coastal Bawse* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2013, 09:30 PM
  #88
Colt.45Orr
Registered User
 
Colt.45Orr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,801
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post
I'd rather see the Bruins win a bunch of games and go deep into the playoffs (and possibly win the cup) than worry about gooning it up against an irrelevant team like Buffalo. If we goon it up, we're just stooping to their level.
This is such a BS straw man argument: we can't have success in the playoffs if we stand up to Buffalo in the regular season? Wow.

If we continue to lay down to out-of-the-playoffs Buffalo --and let their balls swell because they can play like they are untouchable against us-- then the chances of us being healthy going into the playoffs are much slimmer.

Health in the playoffs is essential for success in the playoffs.


This isn't new though, after the Scott KO on Thornton we saw Peverley take an elbow to the head from Scott, Hamilton got a flying elbow to the head from a normally clean Sabre and, of course, we can't forget Krejci almost getting another concussion from a dirty Kaleta run. It was just a matter of time before a Bruin got hurt by a dirty hit from a Sabre.

Going back to the beginning of this rebuild, before we got the Big, Bad, Bruin back, Krejci took a really dirt head shot (after the whistle that resulted in a concussion) from another Sabre POS. Nobody did anything about it and it was one of the watershed moments that brought about organizational change... significant ones... that resulted in our powerhouse status.

Now we have multiple Sabre POS running around and many here are hand-wringing about making a small change (replacing Thornton with a bigger, tougher guy in Sabres games). We are talking about a team with nothing to lose and a team that is led by STEVE OTT as their captain?!??--a team that intentionally puts Kaleta and Scott into their line-up. What more needs to be said.

A tougher line-up Vs. Buffalo is needed because the only way to go the other way is to get Chara and Lucic heavily involved in the 'action' and that --as I've said many times here-- only encourages Buffalo to do what they are doing.

I've never wanted to bring Steve Mac in (because he can't play very well) but I wonder what happens if you pick him up for the Sabres games. He is one of the only guys in the league that could beat Scott's *** down --if you dress him and he takes down their giant (or at least neutralizes him) does Buffalo stop dressing Scott eventually and try winning with skill again? Could we really survive a couple of games a year replacing our 12th forward out or would the whole thing collapse around us then?

Colt.45Orr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2013, 09:52 PM
  #89
ReggieMoto
Registered User
 
ReggieMoto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Manchester, NH
Country: United States
Posts: 4,493
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to ReggieMoto
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt.45Orr View Post
This is such a BS straw man argument: we can't have success in the playoffs if we stand up to Buffalo in the regular season? Wow.
I don't think that's the argument. I think the argument is, do we sacrifice a roster slot for a heavy instead of maintaining the skilled roster we already have? I don't think an argument is being made that we don't continue to roster a fighter, e.g. Thornton. I think the point is, we don't pick up any additional fighters and lose a skill player because we don't have to. We have Lucic and McQuaid who can also fight.

I am in this camp. Status quo.

ReggieMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2013, 09:55 PM
  #90
Pie O My
Registered User
 
Pie O My's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Shawmut Center
Country: Armenia
Posts: 7,530
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReggieMoto View Post
I don't think that's the argument. I think the argument is, do we sacrifice a roster slot for a heavy instead of maintaining the skilled roster we already have? I don't think an argument is being made that we don't continue to roster a fighter, e.g. Thornton. I think the point is, we don't pick up any additional fighters and lose a skill player because we don't have to. We have Lucic and McQuaid who can also fight.

I am in this camp. Status quo.
they can't fight Scott. but you are right as far as keeping the current roster. This is 33's job, and nobody else's.

Pie O My is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2013, 10:28 PM
  #91
BudMovin*
Mung Dealer
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Q'onoS
Country: Canary Islands
Posts: 2,100
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serge A Storms View Post
Some of you guys are insane if you think Scott is getting more than 5 games for the hit.

Yeah, he's a terrible hockey player and a goon, but he has zero suspension history. That was his first non-fighting major of his career. Head hits get 5 games for first time offenders, usually. I don't see why it would be any different for him.

It sucks, but that's the way it is. I wouldn't get your hopes up about the NHL throwing the book at him. He would probably win an appeal if they tried.
His sole purpose on the ice is to fight and stir up crap. He will be made an example of because the NHL doesn't want his kind in the league.

Not saying I agree with that reasoning, but don't be shocked if he gets the book thrown at him because of what he is.


Last edited by BudMovin*: 10-29-2013 at 10:44 PM.
BudMovin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2013, 11:03 PM
  #92
patty59
***************
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Lethbridge, Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,038
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dom - OHL View Post
The player and team are allowed 2 full days to prepare their "defense" (practice days don't count) if they feel they won't be prepared in the 48 hours the CBA deems "reasonable amount of time to conduct a hearing".

Oct 23: At home to Boston, day of the incident
Oct 24: Travel day to Florida
Oct 25: Game day against the Panthers
Oct 26: Game day against the Lightning
Oct 27: Travel day home
Oct 28: At home to Dallas
Oct 29: Off day - their first one
Oct 30: Off day - their second one
Oct 31: Hearing day in New York - coincidentally, where they are playing as well.
Does the whole team go to the hearing? Because as far as I can tell, Scott has been on an off day since the 23rd.

patty59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2013, 11:57 PM
  #93
Artemis
Took the red pill
 
Artemis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Mount Olympus
Country: United States
Posts: 18,824
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt.45Orr View Post
This is such a BS straw man argument: we can't have success in the playoffs if we stand up to Buffalo in the regular season? Wow.

If we continue to lay down to out-of-the-playoffs Buffalo --and let their balls swell because they can play like they are untouchable against us-- then the chances of us being healthy going into the playoffs are much slimmer.

Health in the playoffs is essential for success in the playoffs.


This isn't new though, after the Scott KO on Thornton we saw Peverley take an elbow to the head from Scott, Hamilton got a flying elbow to the head from a normally clean Sabre and, of course, we can't forget Krejci almost getting another concussion from a dirty Kaleta run. It was just a matter of time before a Bruin got hurt by a dirty hit from a Sabre.

Going back to the beginning of this rebuild, before we got the Big, Bad, Bruin back, Krejci took a really dirt head shot (after the whistle that resulted in a concussion) from another Sabre POS. Nobody did anything about it and it was one of the watershed moments that brought about organizational change... significant ones... that resulted in our powerhouse status.

Now we have multiple Sabre POS running around and many here are hand-wringing about making a small change (replacing Thornton with a bigger, tougher guy in Sabres games). We are talking about a team with nothing to lose and a team that is led by STEVE OTT as their captain?!??--a team that intentionally puts Kaleta and Scott into their line-up. What more needs to be said.

A tougher line-up Vs. Buffalo is needed because the only way to go the other way is to get Chara and Lucic heavily involved in the 'action' and that --as I've said many times here-- only encourages Buffalo to do what they are doing.

I've never wanted to bring Steve Mac in (because he can't play very well) but I wonder what happens if you pick him up for the Sabres games. He is one of the only guys in the league that could beat Scott's *** down --if you dress him and he takes down their giant (or at least neutralizes him) does Buffalo stop dressing Scott eventually and try winning with skill again? Could we really survive a couple of games a year replacing our 12th forward out or would the whole thing collapse around us then?
In what non-cap fantasy world does Boston sign and dress some monster goon to play a handful of games vs. Buffalo? And where do they stash him between Sabres games, the equipment room?

Artemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 12:00 AM
  #94
Colt.45Orr
Registered User
 
Colt.45Orr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,801
vCash: 500
It should be more than 5 because of the time of the incident and score. I'm thinking 7.

Colt.45Orr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 12:02 AM
  #95
BudMovin*
Mung Dealer
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Q'onoS
Country: Canary Islands
Posts: 2,100
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
In what non-cap fantasy world does Boston sign and dress some monster goon to play a handful of games vs. Buffalo? And where do they stash him between Sabres games, the equipment room?
If you asked this on the Montreal board....

BudMovin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 12:53 AM
  #96
MillerTime 86
So Long Tyler SeQuin
 
MillerTime 86's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: On a Rock
Country: United States
Posts: 1,949
vCash: 500
Judgement will be interesting, that's for sure ...

I can see this going to two extremes and everywhere in between. Since he's a first-timer, I could see 5 games ...

I could also see 20+ due to the type of player that John Scott is, the circumstance and time remaining in the game when it occurred. And the fact that Eriksson is out indefinitely with a concussion.

One thing in the Bruins' favor is that the game was nationally televised and Scott's "indefinite" suspension pending a hearing made just about every news outlet from here to Russia ...

The world is watching and this is exactly the type of thing that the NHL claims it wants to rid from the game.

Now is the perfect time to drive that message home.

MillerTime 86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 01:13 AM
  #97
Bi Coastal Bawse*
RIP Sam Berns
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Bay Area, California
Country: United States
Posts: 10,281
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
In what non-cap fantasy world does Boston sign and dress some monster goon to play a handful of games vs. Buffalo? And where do they stash him between Sabres games, the equipment room?
How much does scott make? few hundred thousand? Can get a goon for that one a two way and stash him in providence until he's needed.

Bi Coastal Bawse* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 01:47 AM
  #98
BostonBob
4 Ever The Greatest
 
BostonBob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,316
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bi Coastal Bawse View Post
How much does scott make? few hundred thousand?
Believe it or not but Buffalo is actually paying that big POS $ 750,000 !!!!!!!!!!

BostonBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 02:57 AM
  #99
Alaska
40 Below
 
Alaska's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Fairbanks, AK
Posts: 50
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serge A Storms View Post
Some of you guys are insane if you think Scott is getting more than 5 games for the hit.

Yeah, he's a terrible hockey player and a goon, but he has zero suspension history. That was his first non-fighting major of his career. Head hits get 5 games for first time offenders, usually. I don't see why it would be any different for him.

It sucks, but that's the way it is. I wouldn't get your hopes up about the NHL throwing the book at him. He would probably win an appeal if they tried.
The in-person meeting means the league can suspend him for more than five games if they see fit. So why have an in-person meeting if they only want to suspend him for five?

Alaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 03:37 AM
  #100
MarshmontMcSlewfoot
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,899
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serge A Storms View Post
Some of you guys are insane if you think Scott is getting more than 5 games for the hit.

Yeah, he's a terrible hockey player and a goon, but he has zero suspension history. That was his first non-fighting major of his career. Head hits get 5 games for first time offenders, usually. I don't see why it would be any different for him.

It sucks, but that's the way it is. I wouldn't get your hopes up about the NHL throwing the book at him. He would probably win an appeal if they tried.
They'll make an example of him. Why wouldn't they? Its too convenient they get to conveniently send a message to the world without inconveniencing or harming any of their 30 franchises the Sabres don't care that Scott is suspended he has already done the job he was brought in to do in standing up to the Bruins after the Lucic/Miller incident the service was already rendered completely.


Like I said since the Buffalo Sabres cannot in any way shape or form be punished (its literally 100% impossible to punish the team with a Scott suspension) John Scott will probably be therefore punished significantly. Just too convenient an opportunity to send a message and there will be no disgruntled party other than Scott.

The lack of priors should be irrelevant with a guy who cannot play the game at all. I'm guessing if he was good enough to play more than 100 cumulative minutes per season and fast enough to hit someone who was expecting it he'd have his share of questionable hits. I think the reason there haven't been any notable ones yet is due to how terrible he is at hockey.

MarshmontMcSlewfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:09 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.