HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Biron and the geography of an NHL career

Old
10-20-2013, 01:43 PM
WarriorOfGandhi
Was saying Boo-urns

vCash: 500
Biron and the geography of an NHL career

Since Biron announced his retirement, I looked over his career numbers and was surprised that he never played farther than 100 miles from the state of NY; I guess I somehow got it into my head he was more of a journeyman. This made me wonder -- and I apologize if this question is poorly phrased -- whether any player has had to move over a smaller area for each team change when they played on >2 teams? The only thing I could think of is if a player played for both NY teams and NJ but no other franchises, since I can't think of other NHL "triumverates" (ie, all 3 California teams) that have smaller distances between them.

Also, is it unrealistic to say that Biron has logged less travel time than any other player with more 600 games that played for more than two teams? Atlantic teams always end up at the bottom of distance traveled and I'd assume Buffalo is relatively low, and Biron played a lot of games in the (thankfully brief) era when division teams played each other eight times per season.

WarriorOfGandhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2013, 01:51 PM
TJT

Pat LaFontaine?

TJT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2013, 02:16 PM
vadim sharifijanov
Rrbata

he also played in the Q, which is a little more travel than OHL, but is significantly less travel than the W. and the one memorial cup he made was at his home arena in hull, so in his junior career he never had to go too far except for one trip to sit on the bench in switzerland at the WJC.

similarly, his AHL career was in rochester, ny, an hour away from buffalo. he only had a very short two game stint in south carolina of the ECHL.

i spent a good number of years in the western new york area, and from what i understand biron still has a home in buffalo and i think that's where he probably went to after being waived to contemplate his future. kind of a homebody, right?

vadim sharifijanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2013, 03:46 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by vadim sharifijanov View Post
...kind of a homebody, right?
Looks like it. Just one of those guys who wasnt shipped all over the continent, both sides of the border unlike his brother Mathieu who appears to have played for 12 teams including the Islanders, Bolts, Panthers & Caps; Lowell, Springfield, Worcester & Hamilton; Frankfurt & Hamburg in Europe; last couple of years with Thetford Mines in the LNAH.

Killion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2013, 10:07 PM
byrone

Arron Asham comes to mind. Outside of his time in Montreal, he played with NYI, NYR, NJ Devils, Pittsburgh and Philly.

byrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2013, 11:04 PM
Big Phil

Pat Flatley comes to mind. 1983-'96 for the Islanders. One final season with the Rangers. Never left the city of New York.

Lots of other guys come to mind too. Borje Salming, Daniel Alfredsson are others.

There has to be some original six players who were on teams that were close to each other.

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2013, 02:11 AM
Terry Yake

arron asham, and i've thought about this before

after he left montreal he's played for pittsburgh, philly, both NY teams, and new jersey in no order. that's just about as close as it gets in terms of proximity

Terry Yake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2013, 03:29 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorOfGandhi View Post
Since Biron announced his retirement, I looked over his career numbers and was surprised that he never played farther than 100 miles from the state of NY; I guess I somehow got it into my head he was more of a journeyman. This made me wonder -- and I apologize if this question is poorly phrased -- whether any player has had to move over a smaller area for each team change when they played on >2 teams? The only thing I could think of is if a player played for both NY teams and NJ but no other franchises, since I can't think of other NHL "triumverates" (ie, all 3 California teams) that have smaller distances between them.

Also, is it unrealistic to say that Biron has logged less travel time than any other player with more 600 games that played for more than two teams? Atlantic teams always end up at the bottom of distance traveled and I'd assume Buffalo is relatively low, and Biron played a lot of games in the (thankfully brief) era when division teams played each other eight times per season.
Asham has him beaten. Biron played in Buffalo, which is pretty far from Old Atlantic/Metro teams. Asham has played solely for Old Atlantic teams, which puts him in a smaller geographic area.

Edit: Terry got there before me

Edit 2: I forgot about Asham in Montreal. That's farther than Buffalo was, so he doesn't have Biron beaten.

10-21-2013, 07:52 AM
wunderpanda

Pittsburg isn't exactly close to Philly or NYC, it's farther west than Buffalo. I'm going to suggest Mike Ramsey, played in Pittsburg-Detroit-Buffalo. All are between 210-285 miles from each other, Pittsburg is 300 miles from Philly

wunderpanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2013, 02:29 AM
Hobnobs
Pinko

Bobby Holik?

Hartford>NJ>Rangers

Hobnobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2013, 06:58 PM
mco543

Atlanta ruins it for Holik.

mco543 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2013, 08:01 PM
TJT

How about Toe Blake? (Montreal Maroons and Canadiens, although he only played 8 games for the Maroons at the start of his career!)

Also HOF goalie Clint Benedict (18 seasons, Ottawa Senators (12) and MTL Maroons (6)).

TJT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2013, 01:55 PM
Boom Boom Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorOfGandhi View Post
The only thing I could think of is if a player played for both NY teams and NJ but no other franchises, since I can't think of other NHL "triumverates" (ie, all 3 California teams) that have smaller distances between them.
Yeah, that would be the smallest, & you could include Philadelphia & Hartford in the NYC circle, too. Casting the net a little wider, Washington & Boston are a stone's throw away from Philly & Hartford, respectively.

There's also a bigger Great Lakes geographic circle that would include Toronto - Detroit - Cleveland - Pittsburgh - Buffalo.

Here are a few more names for consideration:

Garry Howatt: Islanders -> Whalers -> Devils
Doug Sulliman: Rangers -> Whalers -> Devils -> Flyers
Don Maloney: Rangers -> Whalers -> Islanders
Tim Kerr: Flyers -> Rangers -> Whalers

Boom Boom Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2013, 11:21 AM
Hawksfan2828

Outside of Dallas Jagr wins this hands down.

Pittsburgh
Washington
New York
Philly
Dallas**
Boston
New Jersey...

Hawksfan2828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2013, 04:32 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Mark Recchi played his way down and up the East Coast.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2013, 05:26 PM
Boom Boom Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawksfan2828 View Post
Outside of Dallas Jagr wins this hands down.

Pittsburgh
Washington
New York
Philly
Dallas**
Boston
New Jersey...
nope, even if you exclude Dallas, the geographic scope is far too wide compared to the names i came up with. it looks like Don Maloney is probably the winner, unless someone can come up with a player who played for the Rangers, Islanders & Devils only.

Boom Boom Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2013, 06:06 PM
iamjs
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Bear View Post
nope, even if you exclude Dallas, the geographic scope is far too wide compared to the names i came up with. it looks like Don Maloney is probably the winner, unless someone can come up with a player who played for the Rangers, Islanders & Devils only.

Beezer: Philly, NYI, NYR, and finished his career in NJ

edit: not sure how I forgot FLA. Nevermind

iamjs is offline   Reply With Quote