HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Stewart

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-28-2013, 11:23 AM
  #101
PerryTurnbullfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Penalty Box
Country:
Posts: 2,875
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
Nothing what I said was about production, it was about how our players are being used and the cost of them. Stewart isn't being used for what his cost/salary would indicate.

As far as last season, we all know he had a crazy hot streak and wasn't very productive outside of that short 7 game stretch.
Thank goodness your "we" isn't the GM. We'll agree to disagree over what wins hockey games. Stewart played his role quite well last year and has been noted for his "role" on the power play. Unfortunately, not just anyone can do it or has the touch to do it. Knowing when to tip the puck and when not to is also a skill that Stewart seems to have as well as Backes. I'm glad they finally figured out traffic in front of the goal actually produces them, instead of standing on the perimeter pirouetting.

PerryTurnbullfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2013, 11:39 AM
  #102
bleedblue1223
Fire Army
 
bleedblue1223's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 29,101
vCash: 130
You don't pay a player 4+ million to play on the 3rd line. Similar to how Perron was forced out, Stewart will likely be forced out as well. Stewart is going to want 5 million when he becomes a free agent, that's first line money and he will never be a 1st liner with us.

bleedblue1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2013, 11:57 AM
  #103
Vladys Gumption
Global Moderator
Colt55
 
Vladys Gumption's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: St. Louis, MO
Country: United States
Posts: 16,040
vCash: 500
All this talk about Stewart being moved because of his salary isn't entirely off base. Think about it. He's got a cap hit of 4.2 million, which isn't terrible, but he'll be a free agent after next year. I would think we would at least send out a flyer and see what the interest is. Tarasenko is the big wild card here. If he continues to develop and puts up 25 to 30 goals this year, I think we'll see Stewart moved in the off season.

Vladys Gumption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2013, 12:01 PM
  #104
bluesman11
Robert Johnson
 
bluesman11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 805
vCash: 300
His production to this point has been disappointing and hopefully he'll be back on the ice soon. He's definitely trying to take to Hitch's coaching and play the role they want him to play. If he would start producing there's no doubt he still has holes in his game, so it would be interesting to see what The Blues would do, because he does bring toughest that really isn't there with any other top 6/9 forward.

With that all being said, because he's trying to make adjustments in his game I think a true assessment by The Blues will be done in the future and not after 9 games.

bluesman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2013, 12:27 PM
  #105
PerryTurnbullfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Penalty Box
Country:
Posts: 2,875
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesman11 View Post
His production to this point has been disappointing and hopefully he'll be back on the ice soon. He's definitely trying to take to Hitch's coaching and play the role they want him to play. If he would start producing there's no doubt he still has holes in his game, so it would be interesting to see what The Blues would do, because he does bring toughest that really isn't there with any other top 6/9 forward.

With that all being said, because he's trying to make adjustments in his game I think a true assessment by The Blues will be done in the future and not after 9 games.
Well said....

PerryTurnbullfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2013, 06:28 PM
  #106
ejoshie
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 182
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerryTurnbullfan View Post
Thank goodness your "we" isn't the GM. We'll agree to disagree over what wins hockey games. Stewart played his role quite well last year and has been noted for his "role" on the power play. Unfortunately, not just anyone can do it or has the touch to do it. Knowing when to tip the puck and when not to is also a skill that Stewart seems to have as well as Backes. I'm glad they finally figured out traffic in front of the goal actually produces them, instead of standing on the perimeter pirouetting.
Perron was the player on the power play in front of the goalie on screens twice as much as Stewart last season.

Watch the first one for sure, you want to see going to the front of the net, Stewart can only dream.

Link : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMFJ8-2GSHM

Link : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugHwh9SBL14

Link : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfefCs576Tc

Link : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXK9LvhsHj8

ejoshie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2013, 06:37 PM
  #107
PerryTurnbullfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Penalty Box
Country:
Posts: 2,875
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejoshie View Post
Perron was the player on the power play in front of the goalie on screens twice as much as Stewart last season.

Watch the first one for sure, you want to see going to the front of the net, Stewart can only dream.

Link : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMFJ8-2GSHM

Link : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugHwh9SBL14

Link : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfefCs576Tc

Link : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXK9LvhsHj8
What about this year? Is it David Perron? Is he still here? That's what I'm referring to. Probably have twice as many You tube clips of Perron getting a minor penalty in the offensive zone. Edmonton fans have already picked up on it as well....

PerryTurnbullfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2013, 08:47 PM
  #108
SteenMachine
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Fenton, MO
Country: United States
Posts: 4,917
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerryTurnbullfan View Post
What about this year? Is it David Perron? Is he still here? That's what I'm referring to. Probably have twice as many You tube clips of Perron getting a minor penalty in the offensive zone. Edmonton fans have already picked up on it as well....
Wait you're saying going on the PK is worse than just a turnover on a lazy drop pass?

SteenMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2013, 09:56 PM
  #109
BlueDream
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 13,334
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejoshie View Post
Perron was the player on the power play in front of the goalie on screens twice as much as Stewart last season.

Watch the first one for sure, you want to see going to the front of the net, Stewart can only dream.

Link : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMFJ8-2GSHM

Link : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugHwh9SBL14

Link : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfefCs576Tc

Link : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXK9LvhsHj8
Lol. You don't think there are 4 youtube clips out there of Stewart screening a goalie? Get real.

BlueDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2013, 10:13 PM
  #110
ejoshie
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 182
vCash: 500
Talk is cheap, back it up and find some from last season ............

Couple in the playoffs might be nice too.

ejoshie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2013, 10:20 PM
  #111
bleedblue1223
Fire Army
 
bleedblue1223's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 29,101
vCash: 130
Anyone saying Stewart doesn't provide a benefit by screening the goalie is just hating to hate.

bleedblue1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2013, 10:29 PM
  #112
BlueDream
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 13,334
vCash: 500
Quote:
Alex Steen tells me Chris Stewart doesn’t get enough credit for how hard he works off the ice. Steen says the two have great chemistry on the power play and Stewart should be credited with a few more assists with his ability, and willingness, to stand in front and screen the goaltender.
http://www.truehockey.com/articles/Same-As-It-Ever-Was


Not going to waste my time finding YouTube clips for you, if you don't think Stewart is a good net-front presence and has screened the goalie several times then I doubt you've seen more than 5 Blues games in the past 2 years. He led the team in scoring last season but I'm sure all of those came from 30 feet out from the net, right?

On another note, if we are going to trade Stewart, I would like to do what bleedblue suggested, and find a cheaper option on the 3rd line that can still provide some of that toughness.


Last edited by EastonBlues22: 10-28-2013 at 10:43 PM. Reason: lets not get personal by calling out specific posters
BlueDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2013, 11:03 PM
  #113
ejoshie
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 182
vCash: 500
No problem

But no thanks to Andy Strickland articles.

ejoshie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2013, 12:53 AM
  #114
LightSoundGeometry*
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: STL-Illinois
Country: United States
Posts: 80
vCash: 500
im not happy with stew but am not disappointed in him either

Stew was one a only a few who showed up to play in the LA series after being benched by hitch...that ( not seeing stewart had an other gear going, picking up on it earlier and profiting from it) and him leaning on amac killed us that series. mainly amac. we would of been better a man down ..but

I like his toughness, he can score if need be, sounds like he is trying to play the 200 foot game with and without the puck and you cant teach size and toughness.

I am not sure we give up on him until we see one more playoff series with him in it...

LightSoundGeometry* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2013, 01:03 AM
  #115
LightSoundGeometry*
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: STL-Illinois
Country: United States
Posts: 80
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by floydmurphy View Post
Lol. No longer cares after 7 games? Did Backes no longer care last season?
I love how everyone judges off of 7 games. I guess that mean Shattenkirk is getting the boot too eh?

personally , I am not a huge fan of shattenkirk and to me he has played pretty horrible this season..and for his size should be more physical than he is . he is not a good defender in my opinion

I would rather move shatt and keep stew - I think we have enough in petro/bouw/leopold to transition the puck ..we need another polak type shut down man who can clear the net in the playoffs and not get outworked physically along the boards in our own zone

LightSoundGeometry* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2013, 05:35 AM
  #116
PerryTurnbullfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Penalty Box
Country:
Posts: 2,875
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejoshie View Post
Perron was the player on the power play in front of the goalie on screens twice as much as Stewart last season.

Watch the first one for sure, you want to see going to the front of the net, Stewart can only dream.

Link : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMFJ8-2GSHM

Link : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugHwh9SBL14

Link : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfefCs576Tc

Link : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXK9LvhsHj8
I'm not that computer savvy as I am old...ha ha. Here are 4 goals from just this month. You can view them on the Blues website.

10/3 Nashville 11:16 of the 2nd period
10/12 NYR 10:42 of the 3rd period
10/25 Vancouver 1:38 of the 3rd period
10/26 Nashville 15:27 of the 1st period

PerryTurnbullfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2013, 06:30 AM
  #117
BlueSinceBirth
Registered User
 
BlueSinceBirth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 611
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LightSoundGeometry View Post
personally , I am not a huge fan of shattenkirk and to me he has played pretty horrible this season..and for his size should be more physical than he is . he is not a good defender in my opinion

I would rather move shatt and keep stew - I think we have enough in petro/bouw/leopold to transition the puck ..we need another polak type shut down man who can clear the net in the playoffs and not get outworked physically along the boards in our own zone
I think you need to look up Shattenkirk's size. I would rather have a defense that can pass and carry the puck out of the zone than one that is having to worry about clearing the front of the net. The Polak-Jackman pairing proves my point I think.

BlueSinceBirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2013, 08:32 AM
  #118
Vladys Gumption
Global Moderator
Colt55
 
Vladys Gumption's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: St. Louis, MO
Country: United States
Posts: 16,040
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejoshie View Post
Talk is cheap, back it up and find some from last season ............

Couple in the playoffs might be nice too.
Hate to break it to you, but YouTube clips aren't exactly good evidence to use in an argument. You can literally cherry pick anything you want. They don't show a player's overall game.

Vladys Gumption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2013, 08:34 AM
  #119
Vladys Gumption
Global Moderator
Colt55
 
Vladys Gumption's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: St. Louis, MO
Country: United States
Posts: 16,040
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
Anyone saying Stewart doesn't provide a benefit by screening the goalie is just hating to hate.
Quoted for truth. In all honesty, he's actually looked like he's interested in playing a complete game this year. He's not just a one dimensional offensive player anymore. He's certainly more engaged.

Vladys Gumption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2013, 01:00 PM
  #120
BlueDream
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 13,334
vCash: 500
I still think he hasn't played that bad and could easily have 6 points by now instead of 2, whether that be by the puck hitting off of him while he's screening the goalie, Roy or Schwartz burying some of his passes he's given them, etc.

His points should come. But I don't see the same guy as we saw in the 2011-2012 season that was completely terrible. I see Stewart actually doing stuff out there this year, and it looks like Hitch agrees.

BlueDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2013, 06:48 PM
  #121
Spektre
Registered User
 
Spektre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 2,082
vCash: 500
Games played - 16
Goals - 2
Assists - 3
Points - 5
Power Play Points - 1
Shots on goal - 34
PIM - 48

Salary paid so far this year - $800,000

Spektre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2013, 07:03 PM
  #122
Fabbri Rules
Winter is Coming
 
Fabbri Rules's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: no place of note
Country: United States
Posts: 4,907
vCash: 816
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spektre View Post
Games played - 16
Goals - 2
Assists - 3
Points - 5
Power Play Points - 1
Shots on goal - 34
PIM - 48

Salary paid so far this year - $800,000

Fabbri Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2013, 04:47 AM
  #123
JustOneB4IDie
Everyone Overpayment
 
JustOneB4IDie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Man Cave
Country: United States
Posts: 3,528
vCash: 500
I've given up on Stewart and would love for Armstrong to try and Get Vanek if the Islanders fall out of the Eastern Conference Playoff contention, or Moulson from the Sabres, both are UFA's after this year, so what Blues need to win the Cup this year is my take.

JustOneB4IDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2013, 08:16 AM
  #124
42
Registered User
 
42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Uranus
Country: Umm al-Qaiwan
Posts: 2,006
vCash: 511
I feel a hot streak starting tonight. (or is it wishful thinking since I have him on my fantasy team)

42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2013, 08:24 AM
  #125
Daley Tarasenkshow
#turtlemode
 
Daley Tarasenkshow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: St. Louis MO
Country: United States
Posts: 5,209
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 42 View Post
I feel a hot streak starting tonight. (or is it wishful thinking since I have him on my fantasy team)
I think it'll come. There's still plenty of time this season, and once Hitch finds the right line combos he'll get a good chance. It's not like he doesn't have the ability; it's clearly there. But hey, Giroux is in the same boat, so we just need to understand it happens to all teams.

Daley Tarasenkshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:02 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2016 All Rights Reserved.