HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

Moving a D

Old
12-13-2006, 12:19 PM
morkusa

vCash: 500
Moving a D

Hey there,

with the emergence of Christoph Schubert as a legitimate top 6 NHL defender during Wade Redden's absence, do you think the Sens will be actively shopping one of their seven Defenders?

As I have read in many posts in this forum and also read in the media, the Sens would like to have an offensive upgrade (center).

What do you guys think?

morkusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2006, 12:29 PM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

I wouldn't want to move a defenceman unless we got one back in return.

The playoffs require some redundancy. Having an extra NHL-experienced defenceman for the post-season to fill in for injuries and such is important, as we saw with Buffalo and their problems against Carolina last year.

As for next year, as far as I'm concerned, Schubert is a top 6 defenceman and shouldn't have to play his hybrid role much longer.

Preissing's status as a free agent after this year may make it an easy decision.

NyQuil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2006, 12:31 PM
Jennifer 19

Send a message via MSN to Jennifer 19 Send a message via Skype™ to Jennifer 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyQuil View Post
I wouldn't want to move a defenceman unless we got one back in return.

The playoffs require some redundancy.

As for next year, as far as I'm concerned, Schubert is a top 6 defenceman and shouldn't have to play his hybrid role much longer.

Preissing's status as a free agent after this year may make it an easy decision.
We shouldn't be trading defensemen away. In fact I wouldn't mind an insurance depth defensemen for the playoffs. Injuries happen. Do we want Jamie Allison playing during the playoffs?

Jennifer 19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2006, 12:37 PM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kagura_24 View Post
We shouldn't be trading defensemen away. In fact I wouldn't mind an insurance depth defensemen for the playoffs. Injuries happen. Do we want Jamie Allison playing during the playoffs?
The problem is that we can't hold a guy like Schubert back from playing a full season much longer.

So it'll have to be someone else playing the 7th defenceman role, and Schubert will have to go, or someone else will have to go.

This season though, I think we stay with the 7 that we have.

NyQuil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2006, 12:42 PM
EJsens1
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyQuil View Post
The problem is that we can't hold a guy like Schubert back from playing a full season much longer.

So it'll have to be someone else playing the 7th defenceman role, and Schubert will have to go, or someone else will have to go.

This season though, I think we stay with the 7 that we have.

I agree. Plus, you can dress him on the 4th line. I mean, McGrattan won't see the ice in the playoffs. If one of our top 6 goes down, you can insert Schubert right back there. It really is a win-win situation.

EJsens1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2006, 01:56 PM
Altimus
Probably drunk

Send a message via AIM to Altimus Send a message via MSN to Altimus
has anyone hear from shubert(in like an interview) if he still doesnt mind being the swing man on the time. It's not like he's on St Louis or anything, and he is just so flexable, he's like a vermette from last year(prefered him as a 4th, but liked seeing him getting 1st line ice time).

damn ,my exam teacher is here, finish this thought afterwards

Altimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2006, 01:58 PM
The Mars Volchenkov

Send a message via MSN to The Mars Volchenkov
I don't think Schubert minds being the swing man, because he's played pretty much ever game this year. Next year though, he will be brought in on the blueline or else I could see him asking for a deal to go somewhere where he could play.

We just don't have the depth past Schubert to trade a defenseman at the moment.

The Mars Volchenkov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2006, 02:21 PM
Roy G Biv*

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mars Volchenkov View Post
We just don't have the depth past Schubert to trade a defenseman at the moment.
And that's what it comes down to.

Defensive depth is vital.

There's a huge difference between a Tom Preissing/Christoph Schubert and a Tomas Malec/Jamie Alison.

Roy G Biv* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2006, 02:27 PM
N Bahn Ahden

I wouldn't be opposed to trading Preissing to a team that thought he was a top 4 guy, and in turn getting a serviceable #7 and some assets to sweeten the Havlat deal. But not right now. I'd want Redden to be back and healthy before then.

N Bahn Ahden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2006, 06:46 PM
PeterSidorkiewicz
Original *** allstar

I mentioned this a dece while back, I was always interested in Brewer still as an acquisition, hes been awful, no doubt about that, but it would be a typical deadline gamble, and he would add extra D-depth.

Another great thing to pull off is that if Gerber still stinks, which i hope he doesnt, but if he does, maybe we can swap him for Legace, who I think isn't good too, but I think hes a UFA again at the end of the year.

PeterSidorkiewicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2006, 06:56 PM
brucegarrioch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Stanley View Post
I wouldn't be opposed to trading Preissing to a team that thought he was a top 4 guy, and in turn getting a serviceable #7 and some assets to sweeten the Havlat deal. But not right now. I'd want Redden to be back and healthy before then.
I'd move him at the deadline, maybe, for a guy like Bryce Salvador - just to get a different dimension to the defense.

Regardless, Schubert will be the seventh defenseman when the playoffs roll around - even if we don't lose Preissing (which I don't advocate).

I wouldn't look for a deal for a defenseman first; I'd look at acquiring some guys to make sure Hamel, McGrattan and Schubert don't see the ice in the playoffs.

brucegarrioch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2006, 07:38 PM
Sens Rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucegarrioch View Post
I'd move him at the deadline, maybe, for a guy like Bryce Salvador - just to get a different dimension to the defense.

Regardless, Schubert will be the seventh defenseman when the playoffs roll around - even if we don't lose Preissing (which I don't advocate).

I wouldn't look for a deal for a defenseman first; I'd look at acquiring some guys to make sure Hamel, McGrattan and Schubert don't see the ice in the playoffs.
I would have no problem at all with Schubert seeing ice in the playoffs as either a defenceman or a forward. I can't see why anyone would have a problem with Schubert on the ice.

Sens Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2006, 07:43 PM
Egil

I really like Schuberts LOW, hard point shot. It is great for tips! Count me in as someone who would have no problem with him on the ice in the playoffs as either a forward or a defenseman.

Egil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2006, 10:02 PM
OttawaGM

I wouldn't mind moving Preissing for some assets that we can use at the deadline.

There are still a TON of holes on this team. Muckler is going to have to start filling a few of them soon because the price will keep going as the deadline gets closer.

OttawaGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2006, 10:08 PM
Altimus
Probably drunk

Send a message via AIM to Altimus Send a message via MSN to Altimus
I really like the idea of putting him on the point of our second power play unit with Neil in from of the net.

Altimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2006, 10:09 PM
N Bahn Ahden

Quote:
Originally Posted by OttawaGM View Post
I wouldn't mind moving Preissing for some assets that we can use at the deadline.

There are still a TON of holes on this team. Muckler is going to have to start filling a few of them soon because the price will keep going as the deadline gets closer.
What are these holes. Vermette was establishing the second line centre spot with Alfie. We aren't getting another goalie. And we have 7 NHL defencemen. The only holes I see are 4th line, and those are debatable and minor.

N Bahn Ahden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2006, 10:11 PM
The Mars Volchenkov

Send a message via MSN to The Mars Volchenkov
Quote:
What are these holes. Vermette was establishing the second line centre spot with Alfie. We aren't getting another goalie. And we have 7 NHL defencemen. The only holes I see are 4th line, and those are debatable and minor.
The biggest hole is getting a winger for Spezza and Heatley, because that allows Kelly to move to the 4th line with McAmmond, which makes them playable.

The Mars Volchenkov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2006, 10:24 PM
darthsens911

I'm a little bit shocked that they didn't want to give Bondra another shot considering the very low contract they could have had him for... He would look great next to Heatley and Spezza...Spezza with two big finishers...nice line... also allows Kelly to fill the fourth line

darthsens911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2006, 10:25 PM
OttawaGM

Quote:
RW for #1 line.
Experienced #2 C.
Playable 4th line that can actually contribute offensively (why is Hamel still here?).
Experienced Steady D-Dman.
Cheaper backup that has some #1 experience, preferably a UFA at end of year.

As for Vermette I liked him better with Fisher and Neil. He complemented them well by adding a bit more speed and offensive punch to the line.

Wouldn't mind taking a look at Conroy, Garon and Sopel, Doan closer to the deadline. Also think Kelly might be shopped near the deadline as bait.

Last edited by OttawaGM: 12-13-2006 at 10:34 PM.
Old
12-13-2006, 11:11 PM
darthsens911

Sign Priessing to a decent contract of around 5-6 million for 4 years... and trade him along with Gerber and Kelly or Hamel (better the latter) with a pick to the Kings come deadline time for Frolov, Conroy and LaBabera. They need the help on the line for the future in La La land. Probably not realistic as Frolov does have a great contract but if the pick was the number one...i'd dump the number one pick for a guy who's proven he can do it at the nhl level and has a good contract and is young... who knows...i'm babbling..lol

darthsens911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2006, 11:27 PM
OttawaGM

LA doesn't need a goalie, they have Cloutier until 2009. I could see us trying to do a Schubert, Kelly, Kaigorodov + pick for Conroy, Garon, future considerations (Sopel at the deadline) deal. Then dumping Gerber + 2nd to a team like Phoenix for Doan +. Also Hamel is a UFA at the end of the year, he has no value.

Last edited by OttawaGM: 12-13-2006 at 11:36 PM.
Old
12-14-2006, 07:55 AM
The Lehner
;)

Now is definitely not the right time to be moving a d-man. With the lack of obstruction and holding (i.e. your defense partner slowing up the forechecking forwards), defensemen are more likely to get injured then in the past, and as such, depth on the blue line is essential to a team's success over a full season (including the playoffs). Thankfully, Muckler didn't listen to be in the pre-season when I thought the right move for this team was to move Volchenkov for a forward.

I'm also of the opinion that this team needs to add forwards before the deadline so that McGrattan and Hamel come nowhere near the ice surface come playoff time. Hamel is not an NHL player. McGrattan has no role come playoff time.

I still think adding a speedy 2nd line playmaking centre is imperative for this team to obtain playoff sucess. I like Antoine Vermette, however, IMO he lacks playmaking skills, and I don't think he's the guy to get it done playing with Alfie come playoff time. I think a Vermette-Fisher-Neil 3rd line would be perfect. I also think this team would benefit from adding a gritty, veteran playoff-warrior-type a la Gary Roberts to play with Spezza and Heatley.

I can't believe how many Sens fans think we'll be able to ship Martin Gerber out of town. Unless he has a dramatic turnaround, what GM in their right mind are going to swing a deal for Gerber? He has 2 more years and $7.4 million left on his contract after this season...he is virtually untradeable. The only way for the Sens to rid themselves of (some of) Gerber's contract would be to buy him out next summer. If they don't, I wonder how the Sens going to afford to re-sign both Emery and Volchenkov long-term with the Gerber albatross around their necks? Oh yeah, Phillips too.

The Lehner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2006, 08:27 AM
trentmccleary

Quote:
Originally Posted by OttawaGM View Post
RW for #1 line.
Experienced #2 C.
Playable 4th line that can actually contribute offensively (why is Hamel still here?).
Experienced Steady D-Dman.
Cheaper backup that has some #1 experience, preferably a UFA at end of year.

Wouldn't mind taking a look at Conroy, Garon and Sopel, Doan closer to the deadline. Also think Kelly might be shopped near the deadline as bait.
1 RW... Sure and like MV said, it would fix our 4th line at the same time.

2 C... OK, what you're really asking for is another 1st line center. Because we currently have two 2nd line centers: Fisher (28th in scoring among centers), Vermette (36th). Only Colorado has 3 centers that high in the standings with us. Since there are 30 teams, centers 31-60 are the theoretical "2nd line centers".

Hamel... hasn't done much, neither did Varada last season. He hasn't played much and I don't know if they'll send him down without giving him a chance to step up. As is, he just eats ice time without hurting us, so he's not a bad 4th liner. Having Kelly and McAmmond on that line would go a long way to making it playable. Even then, we still have Payer to compete with him for the spot.

Another D-man? ... Why? Unless we ship out Preissing or suffer a season ending injury, we don't need another D-man. Schubert's a top-6 defenseman playing #7 for us and Jamie Allison is a veteran #8 to call up for the expanded roster in the playoffs.

Conroy would currently be the 4th highest scoring center on our team, 8 points behind Vermette and 2 ahead of Chris Kelly.
Garon will not be traded. He's LA's #1 goalie right now as Cloutier has finally played poorly enough to snap Crawford out of his voodoo lovespell or perhaps somebody upstairs has questioned why Cloutier is playing over the better goalie.
Sopel? .... A 5th offensive defenseman?

trentmccleary is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2006, 08:34 AM
Egil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo Huxtable View Post
I can't believe how many Sens fans think we'll be able to ship Martin Gerber out of town. Unless he has a dramatic turnaround, what GM in their right mind are going to swing a deal for Gerber? He has 2 more years and $7.4 million left on his contract after this season...he is virtually untradeable. The only way for the Sens to rid themselves of (some of) Gerber's contract would be to buy him out next summer. If they don't, I wonder how the Sens going to afford to re-sign both Emery and Volchenkov long-term with the Gerber albatross around their necks? Oh yeah, Phillips too.
Gerber and a 2nd for a 7th! YOu can trade anyone, if you add the right things.

Egil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2006, 09:02 AM
OttawaGM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trentmccleary View Post
1 RW... Sure and like MV said, it would fix our 4th line at the same time.

2 C... OK, what you're really asking for is another 1st line center. Because we currently have two 2nd line centers: Fisher (28th in scoring among centers), Vermette (36th). Only Colorado has 3 centers that high in the standings with us. Since there are 30 teams, centers 31-60 are the theoretical "2nd line centers".

Hamel... hasn't done much, neither did Varada last season. He hasn't played much and I don't know if they'll send him down without giving him a chance to step up. As is, he just eats ice time without hurting us, so he's not a bad 4th liner. Having Kelly and McAmmond on that line would go a long way to making it playable. Even then, we still have Payer to compete with him for the spot.

Another D-man? ... Why? Unless we ship out Preissing or suffer a season ending injury, we don't need another D-man. Schubert's a top-6 defenseman playing #7 for us and Jamie Allison is a veteran #8 to call up for the expanded roster in the playoffs.

Conroy would currently be the 4th highest scoring center on our team, 8 points behind Vermette and 2 ahead of Chris Kelly.
Garon will not be traded. He's LA's #1 goalie right now as Cloutier has finally played poorly enough to snap Crawford out of his voodoo lovespell or perhaps somebody upstairs has questioned why Cloutier is playing over the better goalie.
Sopel? .... A 5th offensive defenseman?

Garon is a UFA, Cloutier signed for 3 more years... they will ship Garon out regardless of who is playing better because they aren't trying to make the playoffs this year and want to rebuild.

Another D-Man? No another D-Dman. Far too often we get stuck in our own zone because we can't clear the front of the net or win the battle along the boards. We need someone to do that and put up a few points.

Conroy would be the 4th highest scoring C on our team... but he is better and more proven as a top C than 2 of the 3 other guys. If we're trying to build a team of 'a bunch of guys with some points' then fine. If we're trying to build a team to actually compete for a cup then that's another issue and we WILL need a #2 C that is experienced.