HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Notices

Hudler, Filppula and Kopecky

Old
12-13-2006, 03:32 PM
14ari13

vCash: 500
Hudler, Filppula and Kopecky

What kind of the wall did these 3 hit all at the same time?
I think Filppula played much better earlier in the season. Hudler is about the same. While Kopecky might be a little bit better. But all in all, I do not see much improvement. Yes, I know they are not gettting much IT, but I do not know whether they deserve. Hudler deserves more PP time IMHO.

14ari13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2006, 03:34 PM
Heaton
#disapointment

Send a message via AIM to Heaton
It will be blamed on TOI.

Heaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2006, 03:35 PM
14ari13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaton View Post
Sorry, I edited my post and made the changes about the ice-time.

Old
12-13-2006, 03:41 PM
Heaton
#disapointment

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14ari13 View Post
Sorry, I edited my post and made the changes about the ice-time.
No, I'm with you, I haven't seen anything out of Hudler, Kopecky or Filppula (YET) that gives me the impression that 3 extra minutes of icetime per game is going to make some monumental amount of difference.

Old
12-13-2006, 04:02 PM
selltrade

Does Matt Ellis have any chance to ever make the Wings?

selltrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2006, 04:08 PM
A Good Flying Bird*

Quote:

So, instead of answering the question, you say what people blame it on?
Very hockey-in-HD of you, Heater

A Good Flying Bird* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2006, 04:09 PM
A Good Flying Bird*

Quote:
Originally Posted by selltrade View Post
Does Matt Ellis have any chance to ever make the Wings?
Hope not.

Old
12-13-2006, 04:10 PM
A Good Flying Bird*

Quote:
No, I'm with you, I haven't seen anything out of Hudler, Kopecky or Filppula (YET) that gives me the impression that 3 extra minutes of icetime per game is going to make some monumental amount of difference.
Three extra minutes of hockey is huge for a player ... particularly a younger player ...
It's tough to get into a game and adapt to the flow of a game when you often get two shifts a period.

Old
12-13-2006, 04:13 PM
Heaton
#disapointment

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartestManOnEarth View Post
Three extra minutes of hockey is huge for a player ... particularly a younger player ...
It's tough to get into a game and adapt to the flow of a game when you often get two shifts a period.
They can only be judged on the icetime they're given, not the potential that may or may not happen in an extra 3 minutes.

Old
12-13-2006, 04:33 PM
Sadekuuro

They have also rarely been played with linemates and in situations that would maximize their potential contributions.

Sadekuuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2006, 04:49 PM
A Good Flying Bird*

Quote:
They can only be judged on the icetime they're given, not the potential that may or may not happen in an extra 3 minutes.
And?

Old
12-13-2006, 04:58 PM
sarcastro

vCash: 663
I would say that Kopecky has begun to settle into his niche as a pesky checking winger. He looks like a solid player at this point, if only a 4th liner.

Filppula has had a more difficult time settling because they keep changing his niche - from third line center to 2nd line winger to 4th line checker to kid line center back to 3rd line center - but he has been doing good things in the time he's been getting. It's not a coincidence that he looked like he was playing the best when he was playing with Zetterberg. The kid is smart, he can skate, he's strong enough to hit and be hit (though he'll never be a big hitter), he can pass and shoot, and he's got some slick puck moves. The future is bright for him.

Hudler hasn't really been given a niche, and the way they've been using him isn't at all the way he's used to playing or really even wants to play. He hasn't been terrible but he hasn't done anything to grab anyone's attention.

None of them are producing any points yet, but that will come in time, certainly for Filppula, probably for Kopecky, though in small quantities, and we don't really know about Hudler. Personally I don't see Hudler making it as a Red Wing for the long haul, but maybe I'm wrong. The other two look fine to me, they're rookies adapting to the NHL, that's the way most rookies look. Not everyone is Crosby or Vanek or Phaneuf.

sarcastro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2006, 05:18 PM
Fugu

vCash:
Quote:

This really is true and I can't agree that you can judge players just on the IT alone if it isn't up to some minimal level. You've got guys like Phil Esposito who swore they couldn't get going until they'd had the first one minute shift, who then scored mostly during the second minute for which he'd stay on the ice. Sure, they played differently then and routinely had 1+ minute shifts, but the point stands. Give a guy 15-17 minutes consistently then compare that to what others are producing. It's not a linear extrapolation from the lower numbers.

Old
12-13-2006, 06:05 PM
14ari13

Here is the stats:
Dec. They have played 18 games combined and have 1 G and are -1. But the big imprvement here is that Kopecky did not take any penalties this month, while in Oct he had something like a penalty per game.

Nov. They played 31 games combined and have 4 points (3+1) and are -4.

Oct. They played 20 games combined and have 4 points (4+0) and are +3.

Old
12-13-2006, 06:09 PM
14ari13

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcastro View Post
I would say that Kopecky has begun to settle into his niche as a pesky checking winger. He looks like a solid player at this point, if only a 4th liner.
I also think that Kopecky is finding his place. In Oct he had 15 PIM, in Nov 8 and Dec none so far. He also seems like the most physical Wings player, he is good for a very good hit or 2 per game. I think he has made a step ahead.

Hulder needs to get some PP time. He has the best slap shot amoung the Wings forwards.

Filppula should be sent down for 3-4 games and play 20+ min.

Old
12-13-2006, 06:19 PM
19 for president

vCash: 562
Well now that the Wings have condensed their big scorers onto 2 lines I don't see Flip or Hudler getting anymore ice time any time soon. I think Flip would be fine if he didn't have to be the sole defensive presence on his line. I mean he is playing with Hudler and Homer. Homer can't skate and Hudler is just too small to handle a lot of physical play. I think all three will be decent NHLers, but I don't think Hudler will do it on this team. He is an ok 5 on 5 guy that is best suited for the PP and SO. He certainly isn't terrible 5 on 5 but his strengths are the SO and PP. Sadly Babs refuses to give him any PP time. As someone mentioned above Flip doesn't know what his role is on this team. One minute he is playing with Dats/Hank and expected to score next he is playing with Drapes and expected to grind. Flip hasn't had steady linemates since comming to the Wings. Not to mention he also gets no PP time and is not getting some of his minutes on the PK so he isn't going to score there often either. Kopecky is the only one that has been given the right role and allowed to develop in it. He has the potential to be a very good grinder with some offensive upside. He has finally cut down on the penalties and is playing physical. If Flip and Hudler roles are not defined they are not going to end up doing well this season. I honestly don't know if Hudler will even make it through this season with the Wings. Flip will defintely eventually get his chance but it may not be this year.

19 for president is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2006, 07:54 PM
Heaton
#disapointment

Quote:
And?
And I don't think Hudler is good enough to handle a consistent 13mins of icetime a game, Filppula is the only one that could handle that on a game by game basis. Kopecky seems to be groomed and has the skills to be an 8-10min a night 3rd or 4th liner.

Old
12-13-2006, 08:46 PM
arin1

Kopecky's probably become our biggest hitter & grittiest player... He's around top5 in hits on the team and has the lowest TOI of the starters..

arin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2006, 09:28 PM
Filppula
Jurks

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14ari13 View Post
What kind of the wall did these 3 hit all at the same time?
I think Filppula played much better earlier in the season. Hudler is about the same. While Kopecky might be a little bit better. But all in all, I do not see much improvement. Yes, I know they are not gettting much IT, but I do not know whether they deserve. Hudler deserves more PP time IMHO.
First 9 games of the season Filppula averaged 12+ minutes per game. In the last 11 games he's averaged a little more than 9. Call it a cop out but I think it's a main reason he isn't putting up many points.

He is however proving to be a reliable player and very good on faceoffs. He is 13-2 in his last 2 games.

Filppula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2006, 10:12 PM
Sadekuuro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filppula View Post
He is however proving to be a reliable player and very good on faceoffs. He is 13-2 in his last 2 games.
Wings have been teh awesome [sic] in the faceoff circle as a whole lately...

Old
12-13-2006, 11:20 PM
A Good Flying Bird*

Quote:
And I don't think Hudler is good enough to handle a consistent 13mins of icetime a game, Filppula is the only one that could handle that on a game by game basis. Kopecky seems to be groomed and has the skills to be an 8-10min a night 3rd or 4th liner.

Wow. I think Hudler could play four minutes a night alone on the powerplay. And be better than Jason Williams.
But right now, there's really no way to know.

Kopecky, once he learns the NHL game and feels confident trying to use his skill, could surprise.

I like the way Filppula skates.
At times, he looks real quick.
At times, he looks like he'd get blown over by the wind.

Old
12-14-2006, 12:01 AM
Heaton
#disapointment

Quote:
Wow. I think Hudler could play four minutes a night alone on the powerplay. And be better than Jason Williams.
But right now, there's really no way to know.

Kopecky, once he learns the NHL game and feels confident trying to use his skill, could surprise.

I like the way Filppula skates.
At times, he looks real quick.
At times, he looks like he'd get blown over by the wind.
That's what I've been saying for 2 weeks, Hudler should get 6 mins ES and 4 minutes PP.

Old
12-14-2006, 07:35 AM
Syndrome
get off my lawn!!1!

Quote:
That's what I've been saying for 2 weeks, Hudler should get 6 mins ES and 4 minutes PP.
Maybe if he'd shoot the freakin puck once in a while, he'd get more PP ice.

Syndrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2006, 12:25 PM
Sadekuuro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndrome View Post
Maybe if he'd shoot the freakin puck once in a while, he'd get more PP ice.
He does, when he actually has the puck in some sort of scoring position (which is rarely).

Old
12-14-2006, 12:43 PM
Heaton
#disapointment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadekuuro View Post
He does, when he actually has the puck in some sort of scoring position (which is rarely).
Hudler (literally) misses the net half the time he shoots. Just like many other of our forwards and defensemen.