HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hitchcock changing things up; Morrow up to 2nd, Roy to 4th

Old
10-29-2013, 12:23 PM
bleedblue1223
Fire Army

vCash: 130
Sobotka's offensive ability has improved every season. His vision and passing abilities have really been impressive. His play to setup Schwartz against Nashville was really good and really simple.

I think he used to be a 30 player, but now he's developed into a 40 point player. He's the perfect utility guy. It would be great to sign him to a 3 year deal in the 2-3 million range.

bleedblue1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2013, 01:08 PM
Vladys Gumption
Global Moderator
Trap City

vCash: 500
Well I think all of us can recognize that Sobotka is no fourth liner. He's just there out of necessity. He's at least a third line talent. And while ideally, I think he's best suited as a third liner, he clearly has the ability to slide up in the line up and not be a liability. All you have to do is look at his ice time to see how valuable he is to this team. How many teams have a guy that's slotted on the fourth line play over 15 minutes a night. The man is a puck possession machine. His ability to stop and start is without a doubt the best on the team. Plus he's physical, and he's one hell of a PK machine. And he's one hell of a bargain. I mean seriously 1.3 million for a player of his caliber is phenomenal. I may be in the minority, but I actually think he's a core player on this team. That trade was probably one of the best trades Armstrong has made as our GM.

Vladys Gumption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2013, 01:15 PM
Daley Tarasenkshow
#firstroundexit

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedBlue247 View Post
Well I think all of us can recognize that Sobotka is no fourth liner. He's just there out of necessity. He's at least a third line talent. And while ideally, I think he's best suited as a third liner, he clearly has the ability to slide up in the line up and not be a liability. All you have to do is look at his ice time to see how valuable he is to this team. How many teams have a guy that's slotted on the fourth line play over 15 minutes a night. The man is a puck possession machine. His ability to stop and start is without a doubt the best on the team. Plus he's physical, and he's one hell of a PK machine. And he's one hell of a bargain. I mean seriously 1.3 million for a player of his caliber is phenomenal. I may be in the minority, but I actually think he's a core player on this team. That trade was probably one of the best trades Armstrong has made as our GM.
Couldn't have said it better myself.

Daley Tarasenkshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2013, 01:25 PM
STL fan in IA

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedBlue247 View Post
Absolutely. Sobotka was traded for David Warsofsky straight up. Warsofsky is basically a smaller version of Cade Fairchild. Absolute steal there.

STL fan in IA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2013, 01:28 PM
Vladys Gumption
Global Moderator
Trap City

Quote:
Originally Posted by STL fan in IA View Post
Absolutely. Sobotka was traded for David Warsofsky straight up. Warsofsky is basically a smaller version of Cade Fairchild. Absolute steal there.
And to think, when they announced the trade I had to look up who Sobi was. I was like Vladimir who?

Vladys Gumption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2013, 02:44 PM
bluesman11
Robert Johnson

vCash: 300
I thought Sobotka had already shown he was a third-line player before the season started and I was hammered for it, now I understand people were making up their lines and after filling their top three lines, Sobotka ended up on their 4th line and that was before Morrow was signed, who's another guy being used in a similar role.

The threes things that I feel people missed about him was he's just a perfect fit for this system that lends itself to two-way players that do the the simple things all the time and Hitch loves that, he even wants the more skilled players to realize the pretty play isn't always needed. Lastly Sobotka had a say and he's just that type of guy that won't be denied, he wasn't going to be a fourth-liner because he don't want to be a fourth-liner, the guy's a winner.

Now it's only been 9 games, but he has been better than he's ever been, I think it's because Hitch is the perfect coach for a late bloomer with this skill set, and we need to remember he's only 26. All I know is he's been fun to watch and I think we shouldn't make the mistake believing these young guys can't still develop after three or four years in the league. I'm pretty sure The Blues have been banking on this because they have kept this young core together, and if they don't continue to grow as a group their not going to ever get to The Cup. Sobotka is just forcing himself into that core.

Now he's not the only one that's benefiting from Hitch's coaching, it's obvious the whole first-line is perfect for his system, it's only been 9 games but these guys are getting better, and there's a big guy that's trying his heart out to become a complete player but because he's not putting up points early, he's still some people's favorite whipping boy. If The Blues and Hitch want to continue to develop a young 4 million dollar player I think they have shown enough with their decision making that they deserve the benefit of the doubt.

Last edited by bluesman11: 10-29-2013 at 02:50 PM.
bluesman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2013, 03:37 PM
PerryTurnbullfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesman11 View Post
I thought Sobotka had already shown he was a third-line player before the season started and I was hammered for it, now I understand people were making up their lines and after filling their top three lines, Sobotka ended up on their 4th line and that was before Morrow was signed, who's another guy being used in a similar role.

The threes things that I feel people missed about him was he's just a perfect fit for this system that lends itself to two-way players that do the the simple things all the time and Hitch loves that, he even wants the more skilled players to realize the pretty play isn't always needed. Lastly Sobotka had a say and he's just that type of guy that won't be denied, he wasn't going to be a fourth-liner because he don't want to be a fourth-liner, the guy's a winner.

Now it's only been 9 games, but he has been better than he's ever been, I think it's because Hitch is the perfect coach for a late bloomer with this skill set, and we need to remember he's only 26. All I know is he's been fun to watch and I think we shouldn't make the mistake believing these young guys can't still develop after three or four years in the league. I'm pretty sure The Blues have been banking on this because they have kept this young core together, and if they don't continue to grow as a group their not going to ever get to The Cup. Sobotka is just forcing himself into that core.

Now he's not the only one that's benefiting from Hitch's coaching, it's obvious the whole first-line is perfect for his system, it's only been 9 games but these guys are getting better, and there's a big guy that's trying his heart out to become a complete player but because he's not putting up points early, he's still some people's favorite whipping boy. If The Blues and Hitch want to continue to develop a young 4 million dollar player I think they have shown enough with their decision making that they deserve the benefit of the doubt.
No doubt...you called it. I wasn't sure what to do with him. Obviously, you are going to have injuries, and he has to be your first choice. You can't discount him. He's tough as nails. I feel comfortable with him out there, and he won't hurt you. I always wanted to pair him up with Oshie and see what they could do together. They have set up some pretty goals together on line changing sequences, but the Backes, Steen, and Oshie line has been as good as any line in the league. Why split them up?

PerryTurnbullfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2013, 07:53 PM
Darth Vitale
Dark Matter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Minute Minor View Post
What did you hear? All we know is that he left the game early and will need to be re-evaluated.
Sorry to space out on this one... I had read that Paajarvi had what the Blues termed "a significant injury" after being run head-first into the boards (I think that's what happened?). Anyway you already knew that by now. But it still sucks.

Seeing Tank is only at 3:30 TOI this first period tonight. What's the deal, in Hitch's dog house again?

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2013, 09:03 PM
Bluesman91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Vitale View Post
Sorry to space out on this one... I had read that Paajarvi had what the Blues termed "a significant injury" after being run head-first into the boards (I think that's what happened?). Anyway you already knew that by now. But it still sucks.

Seeing Tank is only at 3:30 TOI this first period tonight. What's the deal, in Hitch's dog house again?
We take a lot of stupid penalties.

Bluesman91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2013, 10:07 PM
SteenMachine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Vitale View Post

Nope he's listed as day-to-day.

SteenMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2013, 10:33 PM
OCTA8ON*

Just like to point out that Stamkos "only" had 6 goals and in his first 13 games during his 60 goal season. Steen's got 11 in his first 10!

OCTA8ON* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2013, 08:00 AM
Dolph Ziggler
#TeamZiggler Captain

vCash: 380
Wonder how this goes over....

Quote:
@jprutherford: #stlblues top line is broken up at practice this morning. New look: 20-42-25, 12-17-74, 9-21-91, 32/79-40-75...extra: 56

Dolph Ziggler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2013, 08:09 AM
MattyMo35
Schwartz Be With You

It feels like the 2nd line has 3 puck distributors, and the first line doesn't have any. I can understand trying to switch things up a bit to get more depth goal scoring, but I have a feeling we'll see 20-42-74 out there together for the first shift on Tuesday.

MattyMo35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2013, 08:15 AM
The Note in Ky
Bow to the pyramid

I was wondering if this would happen. Maybe allusion to Hitch's comment about passengers. We know the SBO line is our hardest working line.

However not the switching up I expected to see

The Note in Ky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2013, 08:15 AM
bleedblue1223
Fire Army

He's done this before because Backes seems to get Stewart going more. It might stick, but it seems like a short-term thing though.

I think there are 4 forwards that never have to be questioned if they are passengers or not, Steen, Backes, Oshie, and Sobotka. Whether if this is just for practice or to be used a little in the next game, I think Hitch wants more out of Stewart and Roy.

Old
11-04-2013, 09:45 AM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
He's done this before because Backes seems to get Stewart going more. It might stick, but it seems like a short-term thing though.

I think there are 4 forwards that never have to be questioned if they are passengers or not, Steen, Backes, Oshie, and Sobotka. Whether if this is just for practice or to be used a little in the next game, I think Hitch wants more out of Stewart and Roy.
You can add Schwartz to that list now, too.

2 Minute Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2013, 09:53 AM
bleedblue1223
Fire Army

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Minute Minor View Post
You can add Schwartz to that list now, too.
I was going to list Schwartz and Tarasenko, but I still want to see some more consistency out of them. They are almost there though. Those 2 with Berglund consistently bring solid play, but they can still bring more.

Old
11-04-2013, 10:01 AM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

vCash: 50
Quote:
I was going to list Schwartz and Tarasenko, but I still want to see some more consistency out of them. They are almost there though. Those 2 with Berglund consistently bring solid play, but they can still bring more.
I think Tarasenko does not belong on that list (yet). He becomes invisible for long stretches, still. Schwartz over the past few games has shown that he gets it and understands his role in the system.

2 Minute Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2013, 11:43 AM
The Note in Ky
Bow to the pyramid

Quote:
Add Schwartz and Reaves. Only talking about forwards that is.

Last edited by Celtic Note: 11-04-2013 at 04:25 PM. Reason: Can't fix posts
Old
11-04-2013, 11:49 AM
bleedblue1223
Fire Army

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Note in Ky View Post
Fixed it for ya. Only talking about forwards that is.
You can say that about any of our 4th liners though. Hitch really wasn't talking about them when he mentioned passengers.

Old
11-04-2013, 12:15 PM
BlueDream

I'm fine with breaking up the top line. We need to start getting more consistency out of all the top 3 lines, not just one of them.

However, I'm not sure if those are really the right combos as someone mentioned above. Roy seems like a bad fit with Sobotka and Oshie because they are 3 playmakers.

Why not try something like:

Schwartz-Backes-Oshie
Steen-Roy-Tarasenko
Sobotka-Berglund-Stewart

The top line really doesn't lose much. Steen was hot but Schwartz is becoming like a Steen-light and can fill that role. Steen can compliment anyone and gives that 2nd line a better defensive presence, and that's a typical TWF-PLY-SNP 2nd line. Then with the 3rd line, I think we can all agree right now that Sobotka is a legit 3rd liner. He can even take faceoffs, is reliable defensively, and can distribute the puck a bit to the other two.

BlueDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2013, 12:18 PM
The Note in Ky
Bow to the pyramid

Quote:
You can say that about any of our 4th liners though. Hitch really wasn't talking about them when he mentioned passengers.
Morrow can be a passenger.
Lapierre in the first few games was a bit more like a dead weight with his penalties. Though when not in the box his PK is solid.
Cracknell and porter don't really get enough time to be actual passengers.
Paajarvi we've seen none of basically yet

But true. Our fourth line is most definitely high energy. Would like them on the ice more, and not with polak and jackman hahaha

Old
11-04-2013, 12:29 PM
The Note in Ky
Bow to the pyramid

Steen-Backes-Stewart
Sobotka-Roy-Oshie
Schwartz-Berglund-Tarasenko

Is what they have going in practice. I feel concern breaking up steen and oshie. I think they are what has made our top line click this year. Backes isn't dragging them down because he has the tough defensive assignments and what not but when it comes to offense he's the weak link there.

The Schwartz berglund and Tara line is still intact. If we get angry berglund I love this line.

Putting oshie with Roy and sobotka makes that a much better defensive line plus three of our best zone entry players. (Skating into the zone and on breaks I mean) plus sobotka and oshie are hard workers on the boards. Oshie is a good finisher as well so I can see this line being very good.

I think we can all agree that our key players that need to step it up in every way are Stewart berglund and Roy. They're all split up now. Maybe that's the plan.

Old
11-04-2013, 12:49 PM
Dolph Ziggler
#TeamZiggler Captain

vCash: 380
Quote:
Steen-Backes-Stewart
Sobotka-Roy-Oshie

Is what they have going in practice. I feel concern breaking up steen and oshie. I think they are what has made our top line click this year. Backes isn't dragging them down because he has the tough defensive assignments and what not but when it comes to offense he's the weak link there.

The Schwartz berglund and Tara line is still intact. If we get angry berglund I love this line.

Putting oshie with Roy and sobotka makes that a much better defensive line plus three of our best zone entry players. (Skating into the zone and on breaks I mean) plus sobotka and oshie are hard workers on the boards. Oshie is a good finisher as well so I can see this line being very good.

I think we can all agree that our key players that need to step it up in every way are Stewart berglund and Roy. They're all split up now. Maybe that's the plan.
I don't understand the bolded. Oshie has never been ahead of Backes in scoring. Backes has scored 30+ goals twice. Oshie has never scored 20 goals in a season.

Dolph Ziggler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2013, 01:04 PM
STL fan in IA

Quote:
Steen-Backes-Stewart
Sobotka-Roy-Oshie
Actually, it's Sobotka centering that line so it's Roy-Sobotka-Oshie.

As for the new lines, I trust Hitch but I'm not a big fan of them at first glance. To me, all of the line juggling appears to be in effort to get Stewart going offensively and that makes me mad at Stewart that the coach has to continually tinker with the lines to try to find a way to get him to score. I hope these lines work out but I won't be surprised if the Steen-Backes-Oshie line is back together fairly soon into tomorrow's game.

STL fan in IA is offline   Reply With Quote