HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Hockey Superstitions

Old
12-11-2006, 09:46 PM
stoll_16

vCash: 500
Hockey Superstitions

Anyone here have any weird and wacky hockey superstitions? i have only a few. The main one though is being the last one out of the dressing room onto the ice for practices and games.

stoll_16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2006, 10:18 PM
Doctor Hook

Send a message via AIM to Doctor Hook
I guess I have more routines than actual superstitions for my beer league games. Nothing too nutty, but these are the basics I do as ritual:

I pack my bag and the pucks before leaving my house, and I always do one last scan of the room to make sure I didn't leave anything.

If I need to tape or wax my stick, I'll do that the day of the game before heading to the rink.

I like to get dressed a half hour before gametime so I'm not rushed and can hit the ice for warmups.

And I like to fill up my water bottle right when I get to the rink and drink about half of it before filling it up again.

Doctor Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2006, 10:21 PM
Tbone54

I used to always put my right gear on b4 my left... but after 3 losses i changed

now i just do it anyway lol... back to 5-5 now. So guess its working.

Tbone54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2006, 11:10 PM
TBLfan

Send a message via AIM to TBLfan
I always take the first step onto the ice with my right foot. Always start taping, handle or blade, on the backhand side of the stick.

TBLfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2006, 11:29 PM
sc37

vCash: 713
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Hook View Post
I guess I have more routines than actual superstitions for my beer league games. Nothing too nutty, but these are the basics I do as ritual:

I pack my bag and the pucks before leaving my house, and I always do one last scan of the room to make sure I didn't leave anything.

If I need to tape or wax my stick, I'll do that the day of the game before heading to the rink.

I like to get dressed a half hour before gametime so I'm not rushed and can hit the ice for warmups.

And I like to fill up my water bottle right when I get to the rink and drink about half of it before filling it up again.
I do the exact same things...cept the water bottle. The chill makes me wanna pee

Only really weird thing I do is be the last one back on the bench after warmups...I usually do a circle while waiting for people to head back.

sc37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2006, 12:43 AM
stoll_16

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc37 View Post

Only really weird thing I do is be the last one back on the bench after warmups.
me too, i like to just coast around while everyone else is heading in

stoll_16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2006, 01:25 AM
BuddehJuS

Send a message via AIM to BuddehJuS
Quote:

I do the first 3. Always prepared.

BuddehJuS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2006, 01:39 AM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

I play the same 2 songs #11 and #10 in that order from the newest 3 Days Grace CD on my way to every game once I hit the highway.

Pumps me up and since i've started doing it ive been on the scoresheet on defense 95% of the time.

I don't think ill be changing it anytime soon.

FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2006, 02:02 AM
vexXed

I didn't think I had any, but then thought about it and realised that I do these always the same -

Gear on left to right, always the exact same order. Sock with the 'logo/washing care' tab on my right leg.

Tape on the stick before game, unless I've run out and have to borrow at the rink

After I tie up my skates for the 1st time, even though they are perfect, I have to undo them and tie them up again. Most of the time they aren't good the first time though.

After the game I pack the bag in a certain order the same each time.

If I did anything different then everyone's head in the locker room at the time would explode violently................. (ok I'm not THAT bad)

vexXed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2006, 08:23 AM
MikeD

1. THE MASK: once my mask goes on, I dont talk to nor acknowledge any team mates till warm up shots. The mask stays on until the hand shake.

2. Gear bag is packed exactly the same way before and after games. Before gear is packed its a must to wipe the puck marks from the leg pads and stick paddle.

3. Its a must to have at least one shot to the cage and one to the jock during warm ups. A few good slappers to the noggin just puts me into game mode. I encourage the team to shoot high early in warm ups or even aim for the head. One or two into the groin takes those pre-game jitters right away.

MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2006, 11:41 AM
Doctor Hook

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD View Post

3. Its a must to have at least one shot to the cage and one to the jock during warm ups. A few good slappers to the noggin just puts me into game mode. I encourage the team to shoot high early in warm ups or even aim for the head. One or two into the groin takes those pre-game jitters right away.
Goalies are awesome

One more ritual I do...on the drive to the game, I say a quick prayer to keep everyone free from injury (including opponents) and to give me strength to play my best. And to keep me safe on the ride to and fro the rink.

Old
12-12-2006, 11:51 AM
Ludwig Fell Down

Quote:
Goalies are awesome

One more ritual I do...on the drive to the game, I say a quick prayer to keep everyone free from injury (including opponents) and to give me strength to play my best. And to keep me safe on the ride to and fro the rink.
I have a similar tradition. Before the game, I always skate behind the net, touch my hand to the ice, and bless myself to keep everyone injury free.

Also, my brother plays goal, so I always send a shot by his ear in warmups to get it out of the way. It's been a running joke for years because I couldn't stand when players sent shots near his head in warmups.

Ludwig Fell Down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2006, 12:11 PM
Chevy Cheveldae

Send a message via MSN to Chevy Cheveldae
never had some of my one, but i got this one from The Hockey News, Ken Hitchcock remembers this one:

Player felt compelled to take six showers per day on a game day
Had been seen taking three showers at the rink just prior to the game to make it add up to six

Chevy Cheveldae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2006, 01:44 PM
Doctor Hook

How about post-game rituals? Since it's a beer league...there's beer! Not just that, but I usually like to check in with each teammate, see how things are going, talk some shiznit. I see these guys once a week but I consider them family.

More times than not, we're the last few stragglers in the lot, even after they kill the lights.

Old
12-12-2006, 04:19 PM
Emmy Cate

Send a message via MSN to Emmy Cate Send a message via Yahoo to Emmy Cate
1) Don't wash my equiptment the whole season, it takes the lucky away if you wash it even if its gross.

2) My skate laces have to be laced a certain way.

3) Always listen to angsty music before the game.

and 4) Hit the punching bag a few times.

Emmy Cate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2006, 08:17 PM
Avery4Byng*

I used to have a dip before or after the game. now i mostly just harass biggsy for sock tape because i leave mine at home on a regular basis.

Avery4Byng* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2006, 09:40 PM
UserName

blade up on the bench
new tape before every game

UserName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2006, 11:48 PM
Slick

Quote:
That's really nice of you, man. I'll play on your team any day.

Slick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2006, 11:00 AM
Goalie_Gal

I don't know if this is a superstition (i.e. "If I don't do it this way I'll have bad luck"), but I noticed I always strap my pads on the same way: start with the middle strap and do all the lower ones, then do the top 2 last. And like MikeD, once the mask goes on I don't talk much. Especially if someone tells me I'm having a good game- way to jinx me, man. I'll thank him afterwards.

Goalie_Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2006, 11:17 AM
Malefic74

Pretty standard for me.

On the way to the game I rotate three CDs (Rammstein, VNV Nation and Front 242).

Getting dressed left to right.

Three laps around our end, three between the blue line and red line while the guys shoot, then stretches (groin and back).

Always start the warm up on the left (glove) side of the horseshoe.

Before the puck drop of each period tap both pads, the crossbar three times, the gloves to the posts twice and the crossbar twice more, big C-cut to the top of the crease and ready to go.

And I am not anywhere close to being a quiet goalie. My team knows that if I'm quiet it means I am seriously pissed AT THEM. Otherwise, lots of yelling, more encouragement than anything else.

After goals against, water all over the face to wash it off.

Malefic74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2006, 11:25 AM
Goalie_Gal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malefic74 View Post
Pretty standard for me.

On the way to the game I rotate three CDs (Rammstein, VNV Nation and Front 242).
Rock on

Goalie_Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2006, 11:55 AM
YoungJames

Several.

I have to be the last one leaving the warm-up.

When we gather around the goalie before the game, I'm the last one who joins the group and I try avoid beeing in the same position twice.

Just before the game starts, I hit each of the goalies pads with my stick, touch him in the head with my glove and finally hit both posts.

The thing with being the last in the warm-up is tricky if there's a guy on the other team who likes to do the same. Two weeks ago this happened, we were both just skating around etc. Then finally the Zamboni started making the ice, and we both just stuck in there. Finally he lifed his leg over the board to strech. I came to the conclusion that he had a bodypart which was outside the rink. So I won. And so did our team!

YoungJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2006, 08:42 PM
Reckless Abandon*

I always tap my right skate on the ice about 10 times randomly during the pre-game skate.

Reckless Abandon* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2006, 09:08 PM
Biggsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tray View Post
I used to have a dip before or after the game. now i mostly just harass biggsy for sock tape because i leave mine at home on a regular basis.
Ha yeah u do you S.O.B

Biggsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2006, 09:32 PM
Muttley*
Zach=2 games left

dark socks on even days of the month / light socks on odd days of the month

cup of coffee exactly 90 minutes before drop of the puck. Not earlier. Not later. No exceptions.

sit at same exact spot on bench at each rink's dressing room.

Muttley* is offline   Reply With Quote