HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Hockey Superstitions

Old
12-13-2006, 08:43 PM
stoll_16

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muttley View Post
dark socks on even days of the month / light socks on odd days of the month

cup of coffee exactly 90 minutes before drop of the puck. Not earlier. Not later. No exceptions.

sit at same exact spot on bench at each rink's dressing room.
weird.. how come

stoll_16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2006, 08:51 PM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

I listen to Lamb of God before each game just one song "Vigil" in the car before I walk in. Dress bottom half right to left put on both skates but only right shin pad and then tape it, when done do the left skate/leg. Don't talk much during warm ups. Ususally some stickhandling and shooting, mostly into the goalie to get him warmed up. Don't try to deke him or anything. Lately I've been sitting at the very end of the bench by myself with the D, i'm a forward. Anyway it must be working had the only goal in my last game and my team is in the Beer league championship tomorrow night.

Barbara Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2006, 09:21 PM
Muttley*
Zach=2 games left

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoll_16 View Post
weird.. how come

If it's too close to gametime, I'll get heartburn during the game.

If it's too early, my caffeine rush will be over as I'm dressing. I like arriving in a good, upbeat....albeit "high" mood.

Muttley* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2006, 09:28 PM
Muttley*
Zach=2 games left

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Hook View Post
How about post-game rituals? Since it's a beer league...there's beer! Not just that, but I usually like to check in with each teammate, see how things are going, talk some shiznit. I see these guys once a week but I consider them family.

More times than not, we're the last few stragglers in the lot, even after they kill the lights.
Post game ritual?

I have to put everything back in the bag the same exact way it was before I took it out, no matter how wet & smelly it is. If I don't, the bag is all lumpy and feels really weird & unbalanced carrying it.

Muttley* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2006, 12:43 AM
PanniniClaus

When in a slump dip your stick in your own piss. If there is a player on fire on the team then dipping your stick in THEIR piss is highly recommended.

PanniniClaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2006, 11:30 AM
ISensFanI

I try my best to not look at the score board,because every time I look at it seems like they score on me right after, so for the last 3 years Ive hardly looked at it.

I always tap my trapper and the but end of my stick agaisnt the post their closest to 2 or 3 times each, then i tap my pads with the but end of my stick twice, then hit my glove against the paddle of my stick once.

ISensFanI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2006, 04:28 PM
Berger_4_

I wear this really old underwear thing...sorta like full body UnderArmour, except its a cotton Bauer thing...looks like pajamas

Knee highs!!!

Tape my stick every game day

Dress same way every time...right side first except for shoulder pads...

After warmup, i get one puck and go to the goalies glove side corner. From there I flick it into the air towards the puckbag. After doing that, I can't touch the pucks until the game starts

Berger_4_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2006, 08:33 PM
hornet

Umm, being a goalie I have a ton of them, and they are constantly changing according to our record, what day it is, and how we did last night. I'd rather not say most of them (because thats a superstition), But here's an easy one:
I always sit in the same seat on the team bus and in the locker room

hornet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2006, 10:24 PM
RangersMoogle

Send a message via AIM to RangersMoogle Send a message via MSN to RangersMoogle
I'm usually the first guy in the locker room, then when everyone gets there, and starts shootin' the ****, I go outside the locker room and jump up and down in one spot for about 5 minutes. Then go back in, and continue the shooting of the ****.

It helps me relax, and gets my blood flowin'. That's more routine than superstition, though.

RangersMoogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2007, 01:45 PM
slapshot™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISensFanI View Post
I try my best to not look at the score board,because every time I look at it seems like they score on me right after, so for the last 3 years Ive hardly looked at it.
I also have a superstition of looking at the scoreboard. I try not to look at it for the very same reason.

After a game, win or lose, I take my mask and gloves off and leave them on top of my net with my stick before I high-five the team and shake hands with the other team.

slapshot™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2007, 02:17 PM
oileral

just one for me, i always tape my stick before i get my gear on and it's before every game or practice

oileral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2007, 04:41 AM
12 oz Papa*

More of a habit for me, this is roller hockey. I have this weird thing about hanging by the locker room door, being the doorman for my teammates and hitting everyone on the shin pads wishing them personalized luck, such as:

"Ian, remember, shoot low pal!"
"Casey, use the body like last game!"

Etc. I'm a *** like that.

12 oz Papa* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2007, 11:15 AM
Slick

That seems like a Captain's trait. Wouldn't say it makes you an *** unless you tap them on the shin and say something like "Stop being such a pu55y out there"

Slick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2007, 10:12 PM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

right side on first

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2007, 10:14 AM
stifrontman

Send a message via AIM to stifrontman
When I get to the rink, I immediately go back to the locker room and piss.
Then I re-tape my sticks, then rub a puck over them for good luck before I wax them.
Then I pull out my skates and check to see if they need sharpened, and if they do, go and drop them off at the desk before I get dressed. I go back to the locker room and shoot the **** for around ten minutes, then go get my skates.
All equipment is left before right, except skates and gloves.
I listen to music once I have everything on but my helmet and gloves, usually something like refused or bleeding through, just to get me in kill mode before the game.
I never unbuckle the side straps on my helmet, just the chin strap.
When I get on the ice I do two hard laps one way, two hard laps the other way, then a lap backwards both ways. Then I take two slapshots from the point, then skate a few shots in before drills. After drills I stand on the red line and stop the pucks from bouncing down into the opposite side, then stand at the back of the group while coach talks to the team so the little guys can see him.

stifrontman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2007, 09:34 AM
WashCapsfan4life8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Hook View Post
One more ritual I do...on the drive to the game, I say a quick prayer to keep everyone free from injury (including opponents) and to give me strength to play my best. And to keep me safe on the ride to and fro the rink.
man thats awesome id also play for u anyday lol one thing i do is listen to the same song on the same cd right before i get out of my car at the rink. in the end by linkin park because in the song the line "in the end it doesnt even matter" because if my team loses or wins or ties or if i get ejected or whatever its not going to matter a year after so yeah. also i like to slide on the ice because when i first started playing ice hockey i slid in warmups and that game i got 3 goals and 1 assist so i just slide once before the game starts. Also i go to most of my teamates before the game is about to start saying something like "good luck" or "your going to do great" just to get everyones moral it might be stupid but i do it anyway

Last edited by WashCapsfan4life8: 01-08-2007 at 09:39 AM.
WashCapsfan4life8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2007, 10:52 AM
Ti-girl

Send a message via AIM to Ti-girl Send a message via Yahoo to Ti-girl
- Get to the rink an hour early
- Dump out all my gear and take out my stick handling ball and stick handle through the "yard sale"
- Take three shots with the stick handling ball. One hitting the centre of the garbage can, one off the black tile on the wall and one into the sink.
- Get dressed, left side first.
- Last one on the ice
- Stretch away from the team
- Take 3 shots from the blueline on the goalie, three shots from the slot and deflect 3 shots
- Set up the line up and tell the scorekeeper
- Take one last lap of the ice. Start behind our net, hit the blue line, skate along hte blueline then up until the centre ice line, skate along that to the bench.
- ALWAYS drink red gatorade. No powerade, no other colour.
- Always the last off the ice unless an injury and even then I stick around the rink to shake hands.

01-08-2007, 12:26 PM
Habsfan 32

Send a message via ICQ to Habsfan 32 Send a message via MSN to Habsfan 32
Right skate on first and after both are on I usualy check my sticks if they need to be taped.

Habsfan 32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2007, 02:23 PM
Makmalkin89

I tape my stick before warmups and re-tape it in between every period. I also have to be chewing gum or the vibe just dosen't seem right.

Makmalkin89 is offline   Reply With Quote