HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Why are we ****ty, Dad? Because we have to chase the entire Western Conference.

Old
10-29-2013, 11:49 PM
Puritania
Skooma Addict

vCash: 1206
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nithoniniel View Post
I'm hurt!

But yeah, Flyers deserve more crap than you guys do. You are still rebuilding, even if it is dragging out longer than most people had thought. They were supposed to be contending now.
Yeah, I know it's not all Leaf fans, you guys have cool fans to go along with the **** ones. It's just more than I can take to see hundreds and hundreds of Leaf fans spill out of Rexall freaking out like they won the cup.

Puritania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2013, 11:50 PM
Puritania
Skooma Addict

vCash: 1206
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Ones View Post
Who wants to bet that PRV's actually happy as **** that he's in St. Louis even though he's not even playing.
I can't even fault any players who would demand a trade to get off this team. I fully understand it.

Puritania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2013, 11:51 PM
vickpeterson

vCash: 500
4 days off, hopefully a big shakeup upcoming.

There were even a couple of fans in front of me chanting "Fire Lowe". Wish I joined in.

vickpeterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
AssistantCaptain*

Oilers lose another one. I have zero expectations at this point and I'm sure some of you agree with me on that. We made playoffs 7 times in the last 21 years and last appearance was 8 years ago. With that being said, where do you see the breaking point? Can this fan base survive if the team doesn't make the playoffs for the next 2 years? 3 years? How far does this team have to sink for rexall to be at half capacity?

Thanks for deleting my thread ****ers

AssistantCaptain* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
plikestechno

This team doesn't even know how to win. It's been too long, most of the guys on this team have never been winners at the NHL level. I just wonder when the half full buildings are going to return.

Gagner and his buddies run the show and they're just in it for themselves, their stats columns and the highlight reel goals.

plikestechno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Jean Ralphio

Quote:
Originally Posted by AssistantCaptain View Post
Hemsky deserves an honorable mention
I'm dying to see Hemsky in the playoffs again, even though it won't be for our team.

Jean Ralphio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2013, 11:52 PM
Tarus
Fire Mact

Quote:
Hemsky deserves an honorable mention
You do realize Hemsky has been a non-factor offensively and defensively for a couple of weeks now right?

Tarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2013, 11:52 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Oilers lose another one. I have zero expectations at this point and I'm sure some of you agree with me on that. We made playoffs 7 times in the last 21 years and last appearance was 8 years ago. With that being said, where do you see the breaking point? Can this fan base survive if the team doesn't make the playoffs for the next 2 years? 3 years? How far does this team have to sink for rexall to be at half capacity?

Thanks for deleting my thread ****ers
whoopss

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2013, 11:53 PM
Section337
HFBoards Sponsor

It continues to become less and less fun to cheer for this team. It has nothing to do with battered wifes, something that is a real problem, but it is at a point where I think I would be better off to let them go.

Section337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2013, 11:54 PM
Matt19Oilers

Nice to see that we have followed up our 2 game winning streak with 4 straight losses. Any optimism has been more than taken away. Despite that the team IS playing better 5 on 5 than last year (at least offensively), all this cycling around the perimeter is terrible. We need to find ways to: 1) find guys in the slot for one-timers and 2) throw low shots on net and crash for rebounds.

All I'm seeing now is: pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, turnover/shot blocked

Matt19Oilers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2013, 11:55 PM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

vCash: 50
At least we already know what the result of the next game will be, given that it's on CBC.

I predict a lot of "steaming" courtesy of Mark Lee.

GreatKeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2013, 11:56 PM
Paralyzer008

Just my thoughts on some of the players?
-Eakins scratching Yakupov looks to have been a giant mistake. Simply not the same player since. Confidence gone.
-Eberle was awful tonight
-RNH has been a bright spot, but his defensive coverage is still spotty at best.
-Hemsky has been inconsistent, good then bad
-Arcobello is Kyle Wellwood. Offensively, has decent vision but can't score at all. Terrible defensively, although wins some faceoffs. Ultimately not a guy you can make the playoffs with though.
-Perron has been a bright spot, his illness must have been the reason for his suckage against LA
-Jones has been giving a good effort, but he sucks
-Gazdic is not an NHLer
-Acton is a BORDERLINE NHLer, not an NHLer on a playoff team
-Smyth is slow as balls
-Eager actually isn't terrible for a 4th liner
-Pitlick also actually isn't terrible. We just figured this out recently while we played the likes of Gazdic and Acton.
-Gordon does a lot of things right, but I still don't see how it's worth 3M. Wins faceoffs, and.......? Has had some nice moments, but he's overrated on this team.
-Justin Schultz has been absolutely terrible. Needs to sit a game.
-Nick Schultz is horribad
-Jeff Petry has nice moments, but ultimately has been inconsistent, with moments of brilliance and then moments of "why did you make that pass" or "tip that in"
-Ladislav Smid has been inconsistent this year. Usually the best D-man on here but he's had his issues. EDM wants him moving the puck, which he isn't the greatest at, and the penalties have been costly.
-Andrew Ference has led the team to 14th in the West and his play has been mediocre at best. An elite third pairing guy who unfortunately due to a lack of depth, has been pushed to do more, and he's not doing what he did best in Boston cause their system is better than ours
-Anton Belov has been okay...pinch lapses, defensive lapses still existing though. Overall not bad if we had him on the 3rd pair, he's a 3rd pairer on a playoff team.
-Grebeshkov is not an NHL player
-I kinda want to see Potter play a game, he's not the worst No.6 D-man. Unfortunately, the entire team is made up of 5's and 6's so it won't matter regardless. We've seen good Potter, but bad Potter isn't an NHLer
-Dubnyk is a No.1 goalie, but on a team with as porous D as ours, his lack of arm movement is exposed and he literally can't make a mistake. Would be fine in Chicago or San Jose or LA, where team D is greatly better, but here he gets lots of blame for missed D coverage moments. Does let in softies however.
-LaBarbera is a capable backup. He's just getting torched by our terrible systems.
-Bachman I still believe is a borderline 2, that first game against LA was pretty fluky, he can't puckhandle at all.
-PK is brutal, no one wants to get in shooting lanes
-PP is brutal, Yakupov is wasted waiting for an improbable one timer instead of being a side wall guy who comes around the circle if he wanted to snipe. Not enough size in front of the net on point shots.
-Lack of team depth is disturbing, like usual.

/rant

Paralyzer008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
jmco

Oilers On pace for 46 points.... I hope it happens so we get some mgmt turnover

jmco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Dubnykov

vCash: 50
This is how I feel Nuge looks like to opponents because of these dirty hits

Dubnykov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2013, 11:57 PM
StanDarsh

IMO this team has to many 1 dimensional players, not enough sand paper type guys (Gagne,Yakupov,Hemsky,Perron,Eberle,J.Shultz) are all weak defensive players. You can have a few of these guys on your team, but you can't have your whole team fashioned like this. To much dangling and not enough grit. It could be that being in a team that is just not as committed to playing the full sheet of ice has rubbed off on some of these guys. This is where we need someone to be a leader and get the guys playing a team game....lol.

StanDarsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2013, 11:58 PM
Yablo21

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Ones View Post
I have Kessel in my pool and I still feel like throwing up.
THIS^^, first game I actually felt sick.

Yablo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2013, 11:58 PM
Lindo

Quote:
Originally Posted by vickpeterson View Post

There were even a couple of fans in front of me chanting "Fire Lowe". Wish I joined in.
Not that I think firing Lowe will solve much, but can we please make this a thing on Saturday? The "fire darcy" chants were heard in Buffalo, make them heard in Edmonton.

Lindo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2013, 11:59 PM
Psychoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by vickpeterson View Post

begs the question, why didnt you

Psychoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2013, 11:59 PM
LeftWinger44

It's obvious the Oilers are an incompetent organization. The real question is what happens first: Do the fans give up on the team or are wholesale changes made from management down?
No shiny new coach or first overall pick is going to right a submerged ship. Also, it's about time that a blockbuster is made with Philly or Buffalo involving one of the six-million dollar men being moved out.

LeftWinger44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 12:00 AM
PunchDLove*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubnykov View Post
This is how I feel Nuge looks like to opponents because of these dirty hits

Franson's hit wasn't dirty.

PunchDLove* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 12:01 AM
AssistantCaptain*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarus View Post
You do realize Hemsky has been a non-factor offensively and defensively for a couple of weeks now right?
The whole team's been a non-factor for a couple weeks. Arcobello shares the lead in points for this team. Do you keep him going forward?
Keep Nuge, Gordon, nurse and start the RE-REBUILD!

AssistantCaptain* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 12:05 AM
Nithoniniel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paralyzer008 View Post
Just my thoughts on some of the players?
-Eakins scratching Yakupov looks to have been a giant mistake. Simply not the same player since. Confidence gone.
-Eberle was awful tonight
-RNH has been a bright spot, but his defensive coverage is still spotty at best.
-Hemsky has been inconsistent, good then bad
-Arcobello is Kyle Wellwood. Offensively, has decent vision but can't score at all. Terrible defensively, although wins some faceoffs. Ultimately not a guy you can make the playoffs with though.
-Perron has been a bright spot, his illness must have been the reason for his suckage against LA
-Jones has been giving a good effort, but he sucks
-Gazdic is not an NHLer
-Acton is a BORDERLINE NHLer, not an NHLer on a playoff team
-Smyth is slow as balls
-Eager actually isn't terrible for a 4th liner
-Pitlick also actually isn't terrible. We just figured this out recently while we played the likes of Gazdic and Acton.
-Gordon does a lot of things right, but I still don't see how it's worth 3M. Wins faceoffs, and.......? Has had some nice moments, but he's overrated on this team.
-Justin Schultz has been absolutely terrible. Needs to sit a game.
-Nick Schultz is horribad
-Jeff Petry has nice moments, but ultimately has been inconsistent, with moments of brilliance and then moments of "why did you make that pass" or "tip that in"
-Ladislav Smid has been inconsistent this year. Usually the best D-man on here but he's had his issues. EDM wants him moving the puck, which he isn't the greatest at, and the penalties have been costly.
-Andrew Ference has led the team to 14th in the West and his play has been mediocre at best. An elite third pairing guy who unfortunately due to a lack of depth, has been pushed to do more, and he's not doing what he did best in Boston cause their system is better than ours
-Anton Belov has been okay...pinch lapses, defensive lapses still existing though. Overall not bad if we had him on the 3rd pair, he's a 3rd pairer on a playoff team.
-Grebeshkov is not an NHL player
-I kinda want to see Potter play a game, he's not the worst No.6 D-man. Unfortunately, the entire team is made up of 5's and 6's so it won't matter regardless. We've seen good Potter, but bad Potter isn't an NHLer
-Dubnyk is a No.1 goalie, but on a team with as porous D as ours, his lack of arm movement is exposed and he literally can't make a mistake. Would be fine in Chicago or San Jose or LA, where team D is greatly better, but here he gets lots of blame for missed D coverage moments. Does let in softies however.
-LaBarbera is a capable backup. He's just getting torched by our terrible systems.
-Bachman I still believe is a borderline 2, that first game against LA was pretty fluky, he can't puckhandle at all.
-PK is brutal, no one wants to get in shooting lanes
-PP is brutal, Yakupov is wasted waiting for an improbable one timer instead of being a side wall guy who comes around the circle if he wanted to snipe. Not enough size in front of the net on point shots.
-Lack of team depth is disturbing, like usual.

/rant
I thought Yak was pretty dangerous in this game, certainly had some jump and some will.

Gordon is great if you utilize it. He should be used as McClement is except with added time for key faceoff situations. If you can get that kind of impact out of him, I think he is worth the 3 mil.

Ference is a system guy. In a good system he is great, in a bad system he is average. If you do manage to turn things around for next season, he'll be a very valuable player for you.

Nithoniniel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 12:05 AM
Matt19Oilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanDarsh View Post
IMO this team has to many 1 dimensional players, not enough sand paper type guys (Gagne,Yakupov,Hemsky,Perron,Eberle,J.Shultz) are all weak defensive players. You can have a few of these guys on your team, but you can't have your whole team fashioned like this. To much dangling and not enough grit. It could be that being in a team that is just not as committed to playing the full sheet of ice has rubbed off on some of these guys. This is where we need someone to be a leader and get the guys playing a team game....lol.
Disagree about including Perron on that list. He's been fine defensively, and is good at picking his spots when it comes to dangling vs passing vs shooting. Him, RNH, Gordon have been who I believe to generally be our 3 best forwards so far this year.

Matt19Oilers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 12:07 AM
armandh01

Ebs + Smid + ?? for Ehrhoff + Foligno + Zadorov

J Schultz + 2015 2nd for Buff

Hall - Nuge - Perron
Foligno - Gagner - Yak
Joensuu - Gordon - XXX
Gazdic - Acton - Jones

Buff - Belov
Ehrhoff - Petry
NSchultz - Larsen

Rebuilt! Armchair style. Bit grittier up front, back end looks lot less like ass.

armandh01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 12:08 AM
Penalty Kill Icing*
Fire Carlyle

vCash: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yablo21 View Post
THIS^^, first game I actually felt sick.
I have been following Oilers for past few games, and even though my team won tonight, I feel the same. [probably because I have a soft spot for the Oilers.]

Penalty Kill Icing* is offline   Reply With Quote