HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Why are we ****ty, Dad? Because we have to chase the entire Western Conference.

Old
10-30-2013, 12:32 AM
shogun99

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by e84 View Post
well if it's any consolation... when you tank, it's better to tank all the way... all or nothing tank. that's when change occurs.
No one tanks like the Oilers, no one.

shogun99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 12:33 AM
PikNailAndWeWontFail

And so many people thought that this was the year we will contend. I'm not watching another game this year, it's too hard

PikNailAndWeWontFail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 12:34 AM
TKB21

Quote:
Originally Posted by camboy View Post
People need to chill. This team is on the verge..I can sense it. It's just a matter of time till something makes this group snap and they turn it around. There's too much talent here. Not everyone in the organization is a flake or an idiot. These are highly competitive people from Katz on down. They are not losers. You don't make the NHL being a loser. You don't build an empire being a loser. You don't become an NHL coach by being a loser. For some unknown reason there is a black cloud following this team around and it's about to get sunny again. Law of averages and the Oilers time is coming again. Book it. Put money on it and cash in. We will all be rewarded.
Not sure if serious????

TKB21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
ohheyhemsky

vCash: 50
I had hockey and didn't watch the game. Have the hit the sack, so can anyone point me towards a quick rundown on the team? Players? Who was good, who sucked and who REALLY sucked?

thanks.

Last edited by ohheyhemsky: 10-30-2013 at 12:57 AM.
ohheyhemsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Agron
BELIEVE.

****ing ****

Agron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 12:36 AM
Shanahanigans

Nuge gets kneed 2 games in a row and nobody does anything. Look at our line up. So soft. We don't need fighters who bring nothing else like Macintyre. We need to get rid of guys who pretend like they are gritty players, like Ryan freaking Jones. He got belted by Kadri in in front of the Leafs net, got up and skated away. This team has no pride and no will to stick up for each other.

Shanahanigans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 12:37 AM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

Quote:
People need to chill. This team is on the verge..I can sense it. It's just a matter of time till something makes this group snap and they turn it around. There's too much talent here. Not everyone in the organization is a flake or an idiot. These are highly competitive people from Katz on down. They are not losers. You don't make the NHL being a loser. You don't build an empire being a loser. You don't become an NHL coach by being a loser. For some unknown reason there is a black cloud following this team around and it's about to get sunny again. Law of averages and the Oilers time is coming again. Book it. Put money on it and cash in. We will all be rewarded.
The verge of what, exactly... A cliff?

We've been hearing this nonsense for years. We're always on the verge of breaking out, but it never happens.

We are sitting at the bottom of an extremely competitive Western conference and our playoff hopes are all but dashed already. We're looking up at teams we SHOULD be ahead of. Only the Flyers and the Sabres sit behind us now, and the Flyers will likely pass us soon given that they have 3 games in hand on us.

We have given up TWELVE more goals than any other team. Whenever we score enough to win our defense/goaltending can't bail us out, and when we finally get solid D/goaltending, our scoring dries up.

It feels like everything has to go right for this team to simply win a game.

There is no excuse for being this low in the standings. None.

GreatKeith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 12:39 AM
armandh01

No other team in the western conference has, even remotely, a losing record against eastern rivals. This team has a horrendous record.

We're last in the division this year, calling it now.

armandh01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 12:40 AM
camboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKB21 View Post
Not sure if serious????
Serious. Sick of the negativity around here. Yeah, being an Oiler fan sucks right now, but this team is better than their record and it's just a matter of time until the bounces start going in.

camboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 12:41 AM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

Quote:
Serious. Sick of the negativity around here. Yeah, being an Oiler fan sucks right now, but this team is better than their record and it's just a matter of time until the bounces start going in.
The more we lose the more I start to believe that it simply isn't true.

3 wins in 14 games is simply brutal.

Old
10-30-2013, 12:43 AM
AssistantCaptain*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKB21 View Post
Not sure if serious????
after every loss there's at least one jabroni that defecates optimism in the gdt and another that's calling a yakupov goal that will open the flood gates in the pgt.

AssistantCaptain* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 12:43 AM
thinlizzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeriousBusiness View Post
MacT has been awfully quiet. I don't mean trade wise, I mean talking to the fans and media about WTF is wrong with the team.
He is in hiding or the witness protection program working at Walmart.

thinlizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 12:44 AM
camboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatKeith View Post
The more we lose the more I start to believe that it simply isn't true.

3 wins in 14 games is simply brutal.
Not arguing that....just sayin this team, this coach, this GM is going to turn it around. Law of averages. We've got good people.

camboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 12:44 AM
Draekke

Quote:
I agree. Though it may not be this season once again. As I stated in the 'die hard' thread, I'm glad to read other posters who still care about the team.

Draekke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 12:45 AM
dnicks17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Do the computation. He's still be leading the league in GA with a good save % behind him.

What then? Just the worst luck on a bad club?
If you give him an average SV% like .913, he'd have 8 less goals against and be tied somewhere in the 60s among defensemen.

dnicks17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 12:47 AM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

Quote:
Not arguing that....just sayin this team, this coach, this GM is going to turn it around. Law of averages. We've got good people.
But when? 7 years going on 8 that we haven't made the playoffs, and watched every single other NHL team make it at least once.

Watching the Avs and Flames have early success just makes this even more painful. If the Flames somehow make the playoffs this year, then I think every single Oiler fan should march down to Rexall and have a bonfire of the jerseys.

Old
10-30-2013, 12:48 AM
AssistantCaptain*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draekke View Post
I agree. Though it may not be this season once again. As I stated in the 'die hard' thread, I'm glad to read other posters who still care about the team.
you must be a Buddhist monk

AssistantCaptain* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 12:50 AM
jjhard
Rookie User

In case you were wondering what the Oilers are doing after tonights tough loss, the GM of the Rack (popular Whyte Ave club for those who don't know) just tweeted that members of the Oilers are there partying now. No wonder they're so awful.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23oilers&amp;src=hash">#oilers</a> at <a href="https://twitter.com/TheRackOnWhyte">@TheRackOnWhyte</a> come down and drink with the boys!</p>&mdash; Danno Crerar (@CrerarDanno) <a href="https://twitter.com/CrerarDanno/statuses/395422852339363840">October 30, 2013</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

jjhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 12:50 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
If you give him an average SV% like .913, he'd have 8 less goals against and be tied somewhere in the 60s among defensemen.
Thanks for doing the computation.

Replacement is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 12:51 AM
Draekke

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatKeith View Post
But when? 7 years going on 8 that we haven't made the playoffs, and watched every single other NHL team make it at least once.

Watching the Avs and Flames have early success just makes this even more painful. If the Flames somehow make the playoffs this year, then I think every single Oiler fan should march down to Rexall and have a bonfire of the jerseys.
If there were some kind of equation to be able to predict how something is going to turn out in pro sports, or that if a team is bad for so many years, then they will become good again, sports wouldn't be played.

I've been getting this feeling lately from the oiler board that people seem to be imagining that it is their right to see their team do well. It's not. We need to stop acting like children who think that they deserve everything (yes, I know you're going to respond with "no, just something", but that's not how this works). Still one of the best franchises in the history of the league. If anything, this is just karma catching up to us from the 80's team.

Old
thinlizzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AssistantCaptain View Post
Both your points relate to one another. Mac t coached a less talented roster and ended up with a better product. The difference is will versus skill. The day this team carries both traits is the day we become contenders.
+1 . No intestinal fortitude here. Too busy checking facebook status to care what happens on the ice. Debutants. Into the toilet we go.

thinlizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Behind Enemy Lines

I'm quickly moving to apathy about this team. At 2-0 I saw the writing on the wall, turned off the tv and went on to something constructive with my time. Seven years, 3 first overall picks is enough, big money contracts for unproven potential, it's time to start winning.

Just as the Oil always seem to be plugging holes on their roster by creating new ones so it seems the coaching follows this pattern. Last year the Oil had top tier special teams and average at best 5 on 5 play and couldn't win a face off to save their lives. Now they suck on special teams including goofy decision to force feed PK minutes on top players like Nuge who hadn't penalty killed since bantam. I get the motivate by challenging schtick by Eatkins but for **** sake's when lumbering out of the gate with a killer schedule why not simplify instead of pushing wholesale changes in areas that have had success.

Mediocre goaltending has compounded the issues but this team looks bad, still displaying glaring decision making issues, continue to act like the Harlem Globetrotters passing their way out of prime scoring positions. Ill timed and Ill conceived pinches by dmen leading to odd man rushes and scoring opportunity. Soft as butter defending and own zone play.

To much same same on this team with small top six finesse guys who seem to have buckets of skill yet don't put up points and leak defensive goals or chances against because they cannot or won't commit to a 200 foot game. In Yakupov the one young gun with a viable exit strategy, Eatkins is playing the tough love, accountability card that seems to be affected confidence and edge of the seat play Eatkins praised him for in pre-season.

Despite a bonanza of picks, this team had not (yet) pulled a core player from its second round or later picks. This has hurt the organizational depth and we are two, three years from seeing some of this pipeline produce. Goaltending depth is abysmal and a complete fail for management.

I once believed that this team needed to hoard its top four skilled forwards but am coming to believe that one (and sadly Yakupov) will need to be sacrificed to balance out this roster beyond a core of small, finesse players in the Land of the Giants conference.

Hope is dying. This is a results driven business we've been told. Less talk more action.

Behind Enemy Lines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 12:53 AM
Draekke

Quote:
Originally Posted by AssistantCaptain View Post
you must be a Buddhist monk
No, I'm just realistic about my die hard passion for this team. How many years did the Islanders suck after the Oilers of the 80's wiped their dynasty out? We'll get there soon.

Old
10-30-2013, 12:53 AM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

Quote:
If there were some kind of equation to be able to predict how something is going to turn out in pro sports, or that if a team is bad for so many years, then they will become good again, sports wouldn't be played.

I've been getting this feeling lately from the oiler board that people seem to be imagining that it is their right to see their team do well. It's not. We need to stop acting like children who think that they deserve everything (yes, I know you're going to respond with "no, just something", but that's not how this works). Still one of the best franchises in the history of the league. If anything, this is just karma catching up to us from the 80's team.
Of course, the season is unpredictable. And I don't think anyone could predict we'd be this bad out of the gate.

Winning erases losing, and losing erases winning. Unfortunately for the past 7 years we've been doing a lot more of the latter. Those Cups we won in the 80s seem pretty meaningless when this team can't even make the playoffs.

Old
10-30-2013, 12:55 AM
Pablo Aimar

Quote:
This whole post is .

Pablo Aimar is offline   Reply With Quote