HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Your views on Dallas Eakins so far

Closed Thread

Old
10-30-2013, 12:38 AM
AssistantCaptain*

vCash: 500
TSN turning point: Hiring Dallas Eakins as the new head coach instead of assistant coach.

Old
10-30-2013, 12:42 AM
Baggers

A few years back the Hawks sacked Denis Savard after realizing he was hopelessly out of his depth as an NHL head coach - hopefully the Oilers fo the same to Eakins.

The Oilers are a better team than last year, but are playing worse. That falls on the coach.

Old
10-30-2013, 12:47 AM
Shanahanigans

Leaf fans before the season were saying how Eakins was great, but that Acton was a horrible special teams coach.

Any surprise that our PP and PK go from top in the league to bottom?

Old
10-30-2013, 01:00 AM
bozwell
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 5007
could be fired by Friday

Old
10-30-2013, 01:05 AM
Tad Mikowsky
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by bozwell View Post
could be fired by Friday
According to....?

Old
10-30-2013, 01:06 AM
bozwell
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 5007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tad Mikowsky View Post
According to....?
something has to be coming to snap this team out of its tail spin.n

Old
10-30-2013, 01:06 AM
Mint
U mad?

vCash: 142
Seems like the perfect time to hire Laviolette.

Pick him up before he signs elsewhere.

Old
10-30-2013, 01:29 AM
Tad Mikowsky
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by bozwell View Post
something has to be coming to snap this team out of its tail spin.n
Firing another coach isn't going to help this sad sack of losers. You know why?

Because the same sack of crap is still here.

Old
10-30-2013, 01:34 AM
plikestechno

When I heard him talk and threat, I thought to myself how important it will be to win some games to get the young guys to buy in. Instead we lose a crapton of games and the team already looks checked out. Winning is the only thing that will get guys to buy in here.

Old
10-30-2013, 01:36 AM
Hockey Buddha
Joensuu

The learning curve of this team is painful this season, and I feel the pain of every Oilers fan right now. This is grueling. For me, this season has been the most difficult to watch of any.

That said, I have to say that I agree entirely with Dallas Eakins right now. He's relentless in his demands on this young team, and he will eventually get the result that he needs from his players. He's unwilling to flex on his demands of them, which is what they need to grow and develop. He's demanding that they play better and he's exposing the flaws in their game that they need to correct to get better and become winners. He's the most straightforward coach that we've had in that regard. It's painful; its growing pains, but he's no longer protecting our young players from themselves. He's demanding that they perform, demanding they correct their flaws. They need to, and he's right when he says that this is a process. Our young players need to learn how to take on the extra minutes and take on the other team's best lines. They'll eventually get to a point where they can play those minutes and play them well against other teams top lines. This is a direct challenge to his players.

This is gutsy for Eakins to take on and challenge the team in this way. He's fast tracking this team to be successful and pushing his players hard. They need to be pushed and challenged--not coddled. Its difficult to watch right now, frustrating, but in the long term, the Oilers will be much better off staying the course and sticking to Eakin's plan. His overall vision for the future of this team is the right one. I like Eakin's relentlessness. He'll win this battle and turn this team into a winner, if he's given the opportunity to do so. Of that, I'm convinced. He's not the issue here. Coaching is not our team's problem. I like Eakins. He's what we need leading this young team. He's taking the hard road in getting there, but it's the right road to take. It's the shortest route to take.

Old
10-30-2013, 02:47 AM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

vCash: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Buddha View Post
The learning curve of this team is painful this season, and I feel the pain of every Oilers fan right now. This is grueling. For me, this season has been the most difficult to watch of any.

That said, I have to say that I agree entirely with Dallas Eakins right now. He's relentless in his demands on this young team, and he will eventually get the result that he needs from his players. He's unwilling to flex on his demands of them, which is what they need to grow and develop. He's demanding that they play better and he's exposing the flaws in their game that they need to correct to get better and become winners. He's the most straightforward coach that we've had in that regard. It's painful; its growing pains, but he's no longer protecting our young players from themselves. He's demanding that they perform, demanding they correct their flaws. They need to, and he's right when he says that this is a process. Our young players need to learn how to take on the extra minutes and take on the other team's best lines. They'll eventually get to a point where they can play those minutes and play them well against other teams top lines. This is a direct challenge to his players.

This is gutsy for Eakins to take on and challenge the team in this way. He's fast tracking this team to be successful and pushing his players hard. They need to be pushed and challenged--not coddled. Its difficult to watch right now, frustrating, but in the long term, the Oilers will be much better off staying the course and sticking to Eakin's plan. His overall vision for the future of this team is the right one. I like Eakin's relentlessness. He'll win this battle and turn this team into a winner, if he's given the opportunity to do so. Of that, I'm convinced. He's not the issue here. Coaching is not our team's problem. I like Eakins. He's what we need leading this young team. He's taking the hard road in getting there, but it's the right road to take. It's the shortest route to take.
Eakins has a lot to prove. He has accomplished nothing at the NHL level and he is making rookie coaching mistakes which have been outlined by numerous posters including myself.

Coaching is part of the issue.

Old
10-30-2013, 03:14 AM
Baggers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pep View Post
Seems like the perfect time to hire Laviolette.

Pick him up before he signs elsewhere.
I second that motion.

Old
10-30-2013, 03:17 AM
Soundwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baggers View Post
I second that motion.
Ugh. Why couldn't he get fired in the summer so we could've hired him then.

Old
10-30-2013, 03:22 AM
Everest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
Throwing the RNH-Yakupov line out against the Ovy and Kessel lines when we're overpaying Gordon to be a shut down center is beyond stupid.

Not sure what Eakins is thinking. I disliked Krueger too. Ugh. We should've stuck with Renney at least he was experienced.
Under Renney, the team did play some defence.

Defence isn't even in this teams vocabulary.

Pretty bad when we have as many key injuries as we do and that issue, amazingly, isn't even CLOSE to the primary issue.

They defend like a bunch of bantams!

They're walking all over the HC, IMO.

Old
10-30-2013, 03:27 AM
Soundwave

If we fire Eakins and hire Laviolette, how many coaches would we be paying under contract?

Old
10-30-2013, 03:49 AM
Hockey Nightmare
Welcome to Edmonton

Katz will get so tired of paying these contracts out maybe he'll decide to get behind the bench.

Old
10-30-2013, 04:01 AM
Everest

Quote:
If we fire Eakins and hire Laviolette, how many coaches would we be paying under contract?
I don't know...but...I still go back to what I said a couple years ago meow...

These guys need to spend some time under the watch of Chris Therrien. And not the "new" Chris Therrien.

They need a true hard ass coach who can come into that room and hold every player accountable.

There are SEVERAL guys on this team who don't really know even a tenth of what they think they know about the game. They need every little minute mistake to be brought right into their faces and shown all of it...again...and again.

Eakins isn't doing this. Eakins is playing the same guys the same amount of minutes...and its producing even worse hockey than at most any point last year or the year before.

Old
10-30-2013, 04:05 AM
Everest

I highly doubt it was expected or accepted that there would be an noticeable "learning curve" for the Head Coach. You don't hire guys into the best league in the world, with a built in "figure-things-out-clause".

An NHL Coach is expected to be 100% prepared and bring new & improved insight(s) into a vacancy.

We didn't hire Eakins in the vein of development.

We hired him because (according to Mac-T) he was the BEST possible candidate and he was supposed to make a positive impact right away.

It is clearly not going in that direction. Not at all.

Old
10-30-2013, 04:10 AM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
I'm starting to think that Mac-T is delusional. I think he wants a team like the kind of teams that Brian Burke likes to build... except we don't have any pieces like that.

We don't have a #1 d-man. I think Petry is a #2 d-man, but so many people out there don't think Edmonton has a #2 d-man.

We don't have any powerforwards that fit into anyone's top 6.

I'm convinced that this is the ship that Mac-T wants to run, because why the hell else would he have hired Dallas Eakins?

Now you can and you can't blame Eakins.

I'm pretty sure that Eakins is doing exactly what he told Mac-T he'd do when he got interviewed. Mac-T should have realized that we don't have the type of roster to effectively play his style of hockey. If he didn't realize it, then he's not as smart as people give him credit.

Everything past that is Eakins' fault. His unwillingness to adapt his style of what his players are capable of doing is all his fault.

We were so much better last season. Smid and Petry were so much more effective.

Dubby was making way more saves and he was making a lot of GOOD saves.

Justin Schultz and Nail Yakupov are going NOWHERE. Actually, I'll take that back. They've clearly regressed under this system.

Why the hell haven't we had a coach come in and employ the run'n gun style of play? That's EXACTLY the kind of players we have.

That's the only style of play we're capable of. Bringing in a coach incapable or unwilling to implement this style while we have our current roster is nothing short of moronic.

Any coach coming here unwilling to coach this style of hockey is an idiot in search of the assassination of his own coaching career.

Any manager unwilling to bring in a coach that implements this style of play is a moron on a quest to assassinate the careers of our young players.

Any CEO/President of a hockey team who hires a manager that chooses to bring in a coach that is unwilling to implement this style of play for these players is an idiot. I'm not talking Vanilla ice idiotic or even George Bush junior idiotic. I'm talking Brick Tamland from the anchorman idiotic.

At the beginning of the season Oiler brass suggested that Eakins is the coach that couldn't be fired after one year. If some changes aren't made, someone is going to get crucified.

If no significant coaching or roster changes are made, Eakins and Mac-T are going to get crucified.

If Mac-T doesn't make a trade for a power forward and a #1 d-man, Edmonton is going to finish bottom 5 and both he and Eakins will be crucified.

If Mac-T keeps his job after one helluva failure of a season, my eyes are going to pop out of my head and a black whole will form in the middle of my brain, consuming the entire universe.

Seriously, Ovechkin got away with playing run'n gun hockey and his team at least got into the playoffs year after year. Why can't we do that? Hall may not be Ovechkin and Justin Schultz may not be Mike Green, but we've got a helluva lot of skill to make things happen and playing a style of game that is unsuitable for your top six forwards and 3/4 of your top 4 d-men is demoralizing every time they fail at it.

Old
10-30-2013, 04:51 AM
Cloned
Sexy Genesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everest View Post
I don't know...but...I still go back to what I said a couple years ago meow...

These guys need to spend some time under the watch of Chris Therrien. And not the "new" Chris Therrien.

They need a true hard ass coach who can come into that room and hold every player accountable.

There are SEVERAL guys on this team who don't really know even a tenth of what they think they know about the game. They need every little minute mistake to be brought right into their faces and shown all of it...again...and again.

Eakins isn't doing this. Eakins is playing the same guys the same amount of minutes...and its producing even worse hockey than at most any point last year or the year before.
Yeah, pretty much. The problem is that those "several" players happen to be their best players. With maybe only RNH notwithstanding, everyone of the other "young stars" needs to be seriously sat down, lectured, and then worked like a mule to get those bad habits out of their game.

Hall needs to be told to ****ing play a man's style of hockey. He has the speed and the frame to do it, if he's going to play like Kent Nilsson instead of Glenn Anderson then all his physical talents go to waste. Problem is that I'm not sure his hockey sense and hands can keep up with his feet. He needs to be told his deking is not nearly as good as he thinks it is, so instead of deking and going weak as **** backhand on every breakaway he should maybe try to shoot with his more accurate forehand. And that he should stop trying to emulate his buddy Eberle's deking, because Jordan will always be better at it than he is.

Eberle needs to be told to get better core strength. Tired of seeing him get knocked down and pasted every game. Also, stop cheating defensively.

Schultz needs to be told he's not yet Sergei ****ing Zubov so if you're going to roam like Zubov did you better produce results and be able to maintain reasonable ability to position yourself defensively. Otherwise focus on playing defense first rather than playing softer than Tom Gilbert did - and at least Gilbert knew how to gain position on people.

Yakupov needs some sort of deconditioning. He's trying to do it all himself when he should be using his teammates AND he's passing off when he should be shooting. His game is all sorts of messed up right now, he's literally doing the opposite of what he should be doing on half the plays in any given game. Don't really know how to fix this but I suspect it involves a lot of patient and honest teaching. He's the youngest of the 1st overalls though so I'm less concerned with his progress than with someone like Hall basically repeating first-year mistakes over and over again.

Sig AND X-mas avatar courtesy of The Nemesis

"Pull yourself together!" - Solid Snake to Otacon, multiple times in the series
Old
10-30-2013, 04:51 AM
Sheikyerbouti

He's over-coaching imo

Ralph got more out of a worse roster and no training camp/regular practices.

Old
10-30-2013, 04:53 AM
Soundwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloned View Post
Yeah, pretty much. The problem is that those "several" players happen to be their best players. With maybe only RNH notwithstanding, everyone of the other "young stars" needs to be seriously sat down, lectured, and then worked like a mule to get those bad habits out of their game.

Hall needs to be told to ****ing play a man's style of hockey. He has the speed and the frame to do it, if he's going to play like Kent Nilsson instead of Glenn Anderson then all his physical talents go to waste. Problem is that I'm not sure his hockey sense and hands can keep up with his feet.

Eberle needs to be told to get better core strength. Tired of seeing him get knocked down and pasted every game. Also, stop cheating defensively.

Schultz needs to be told he's not yet Sergei ****ing Zubov so if you're going to roam like Zubov did you better produce results and be able to maintain reasonable ability to position yourself defensively. Otherwise focus on playing defense first rather than playing softer than Tom Gilbert did - and at least Gilbert knew how to gain position on people.

Yakupov needs some sort of deconditioning. He's trying to do it all himself when he should be using his teammates AND he's passing off when he should be shooting. His game is all sorts of messed up right now, he's literally doing the opposite of what he should be doing on half the plays in any given game. Don't really know how to fix this but I suspect it involves a lot of patient and honest teaching. He's the youngest of the 1st overalls though so I'm less concerned with his progress than with someone like Hall basically repeating first-year mistakes over and over again.
Agreed on most points, but the Yakupov one ... just let him keep playing because I think it's starting to come for him.

He looks a lot more confident now, if Eberle would ever pass him the freaking puck, maybe we'll have something.

Just leave Yak alone (part of not over coaching) and let him do his thing. He scored in LA and looked good again versus the Leafs (relatively anyway).

One of the problem's with Hall is he's best buds with Eberle and I think he wants to do all the fancy dipsy doodles because it's "cool" and because Eberle does it all the time.

Old
10-30-2013, 04:56 AM
Gone
Fire KLowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baggers View Post
A few years back the Hawks sacked Denis Savard after realizing he was hopelessly out of his depth as an NHL head coach - hopefully the Oilers fo the same to Eakins.

The Oilers are a better team than last year, but are playing worse. That falls on the coach.
This. Fire him already.

Old
10-30-2013, 04:56 AM
Cloned
Sexy Genesis

Quote:
Agreed on most points, but the Yakupov one ... just let him keep playing because I think it's starting to come for him.

He looks a lot more confident now, if Eberle would ever pass him the freaking puck, maybe we'll have something.

Just leave Yak alone (part of not over coaching) and let him do his thing. He scored in LA and looked good again versus the Leafs (relatively anyway).

One of the problem's with Hall is he's best buds with Eberle and I think he wants to do all the fancy dipsy doodles because it's "cool" and because Eberle does it all the time.
I ninja-edited and mentioned this too.

Old
10-30-2013, 05:12 AM
Hockey Buddha
Joensuu

Quote:
Originally Posted by guymez View Post
Eakins has a lot to prove. He has accomplished nothing at the NHL level and he is making rookie coaching mistakes which have been outlined by numerous posters including myself.

Coaching is part of the issue.
Yes, Eakins has a lot to prove at this level, but I don't perceive him to be making rookie mistakes; I think that he is showing great leadership, actually. He is implementing a long-term structure for success that takes primacy over short-term results. That is not something that is easy to do. It takes an incredible resolve.

Our most talented players are having more demanded from them by Eakins than from any other coach. Our talented core is still very young compared to those on the number one lines on other teams. Their development is being fast-tracked by Eakins. Our most talented players will adapt, but it takes time.

Eakins is a good coach, with a solid track record, who has a genuine vision for this team that he intends to realize. One of the most difficult things that he is implementing is he is forcing his most talented players into situations that they haven't yet been placed in or adapted to, and he's forcing them to take on considerable more minutes. He's forcing them to adapt to a new workload. Each of these demands puts them in a situation that they are challenged to adapt to in order to meet. It simultaneously speeds up their development and makes the better players. Previous Oiler coaches relied on their veterans more. Eakins is not doing that. He's relying on his best players to take those minutes. They will be better off for it, and so will the team.

Eakins is approaching games with the long-term benefit of the team in mind, which means some short-term pain for fans and the team. He is engaging his players in a painful process that will have them achieving considerable success in the shortest route possible, but it involves considerable growing pains.

The team is responding to Eakins and will get there. He has not lost the room; the players are responding, but the results aren't there yet. Eakins has had 14 games to implement his radically new structure. It is going to take some time to achieve success, but success will come from it. The players will rise to the occasion.

Closed Thread