HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Why are we ****ty, Dad? Because we have to chase the entire Western Conference.

Old
10-30-2013, 03:43 AM
Cloned
Sexy Genesis

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilexport View Post
Holy smokes, do you not see Lowe in the skybox (Toronto game) with Mac-T. Do you not hear Lowe when he has a press conference claiming "he knows how to win and will turn this thing around, in case anyone is wondering". Does this not indicate he is involved ?

How some people keep defending the guy is beyond belief, in fact I don't believe it and I think I'm having a nightmare right now...lol
Where was I defending him?

Just saying - firing him doesn't change much right now because the real problems are at the front lines and that takes actual day-to-day coaching and roster moves to change. Something which is in the hands of MacT and Eakins, not Lowe. I won't complain if he gets fired, but if you think firing him solves everything magically, you're wrong.

Sig AND X-mas avatar courtesy of The Nemesis

"Pull yourself together!" - Solid Snake to Otacon, multiple times in the series
Cloned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 03:44 AM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

Lowe is such a dork

Mr Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 03:48 AM
PETRYDISH

They should make a documentary on die hard fans cheering for the worst teams... I'd relate to it. Would be better than watching oil change, which is now basically a propaganda machine covering a failed franchise.

PETRYDISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 03:50 AM
Soundwave

I'm frustrated, but honestly who cares if the kids went to have a drink to blow off some steam?

They've been on the road since forever this year, playing every other night, this is the first night back home where they have multiple days off until the next game (Detroit) in a long time. Yes it sucks to lose, but if they're never going to go out unless we win they might as well just lock themselves in their room now.

One positive is Yakupov's game looks like its coming around, he's playing with energy like he was in pre-season that just seemed to go away when he got muzzled by the system (I agree he has to learn, but I don't think in hindsight that scratching him resulted in anything positive).

Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 03:52 AM
oilexport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloned View Post
Where was I defending him?

Just saying - firing him doesn't change much right now because the real problems are at the front lines and that takes actual day-to-day coaching and roster moves to change. Something which is in the hands of MacT and Eakins, not Lowe. I won't complain if he gets fired, but if you think firing him solves everything magically, you're wrong.

How many coaching changes would you like to make? Wait, maybe your right but they won't fire Steve Smith for whatever reason. Our Defence sucks, if Lowe or Mac-T were not here, Smith and Bucky would be gone.

How many player changes would you like to make ? they have already brought in the best picks for several years due to thier incompetence. How about some big boys on defence that can take out the man in front of our net? How about a goalie that can stop pucks, everybody except the Oilers knew Labarbera was useless.

The players don't want to play for this jerk, they play to earn thier contracts and then suck...

oilexport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 03:52 AM
Cloned
Sexy Genesis

Oh, and to answer the thread title question:

Old
10-30-2013, 03:57 AM
AlowlyOilersfan
Comrade

vCash: 0
Quote:

What year is this?

AlowlyOilersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 03:58 AM
Cloned
Sexy Genesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlowlyOilersfan View Post
What year is this?
Believe it was after their top picks had been drafted, so... there is hope I guess?

Still, the point of that video is how eerie ALL of that applies to the Oilers.

Just replace Kovalchoo (lol) with Clifford/Regehr/Bieksa/millions of other examples and Talbot with someone like Gagner. Except that last part with Fleury playing well... our goaltending has not been playing well.

Old
10-30-2013, 04:00 AM
oilersfan11

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by alowlyoilersfan View Post
what year is this?

oilersfan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 04:03 AM
Del Preston

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilersfan11 View Post
Yep, after the Oilers (Horcoff) beat them 3-1.

Del Preston is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 04:09 AM
Cloned
Sexy Genesis

Quote:
How many coaching changes would you like to make? Wait, maybe your right but they won't fire Steve Smith for whatever reason. Our Defence sucks, if Lowe or Mac-T were not here, Smith and Bucky would be gone.

How many player changes would you like to make ? they have already brought in the best picks for several years due to thier incompetence. How about some big boys on defence that can take out the man in front of our net? How about a goalie that can stop pucks, everybody except the Oilers knew Labarbera was useless.

The players don't want to play for this jerk, they play to earn thier contracts and then suck...
There definitely needs to be more player changes. Anybody can see that. The organization as a group is composed of a lot of sucky assets with a loser's attitude. That goes from the top (management) down to the bottom (players). Getting rid of one of those people (Lowe) doesn't change things as a whole, not even close.

Old
10-30-2013, 04:19 AM
N5991989
Oilers Fan

vCash: 788
Quote:

This applies so much to the Oilers. When is Dallas going to come out and say this I would respect him so much more.

N5991989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 04:31 AM
Horseradish

Quote:
Originally Posted by PETRYDISH View Post
They should make a documentary on die hard fans cheering for the worst teams... I'd relate to it. Would be better than watching oil change, which is now basically a propaganda machine covering a failed franchise.
You would? My teams are: Oilers, Eskimos, Blue Jays, Arizona Cardinals, and LA Clippers...

Horseradish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 04:33 AM
Cloned
Sexy Genesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horseradish View Post
You would? My teams are: Oilers, Eskimos, Blue Jays, Arizona Cardinals, and LA Clippers...
Think I got you beat:

Oilers, Eskimos, Blue Jays, Raptors, Canadian Men's National Soccer Team

The last one in particular I think trumps anything on your list.

Old
10-30-2013, 04:36 AM
Hockey Nightmare
Ex-hockey fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by teganandsara View Post
This applies so much to the Oilers. When is Dallas going to come out and say this I would respect him so much more.
Yeah it's like he's coaching our squad. To paraphrase:

Quote:
They're doing such a great job to be the worst defensive squad in the league. They turn the puck over. They have no vision. They're soft. I've never seen a bunch of defencemen soft like this. So you put the two in combination...Hey there's a lot of guys who don't care. They pretend to care but they don't care....It's a game of emotion...a game of passion...hey, like Kovalchuk what he did today, there was not one guy who did close to do something (in return)...

Hockey Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 04:47 AM
oilexport

Quote:
There definitely needs to be more player changes. Anybody can see that. The organization as a group is composed of a lot of sucky assets with a loser's attitude. That goes from the top (management) down to the bottom (players). Getting rid of one of those people (Lowe) doesn't change things as a whole, not even close.
Maybe you are right but I'm frustrated for a long time and want different leadership from the top.

Lots of superstar winners that we have been given, that are failing (so far).

Mac-T has done O.K. with the Parron trade and some Free agents but the chemistry is not there. Our D was built to be mobile but we cannot stop big forwards. We do not have the horses to play in our end. Our goals against is bad and we do play like a junior team, no system to keep teams off the scoresheet, it's killing us.

Sather was good at bringing in what we needed for complement players. If we were short a Center, he went to jail to find one (Mac-T). We needed a tough guy, in came Mcsorley that was effective and stayed for years. Now we bring in 3 tough guys a year and none work out.

Mac-T is a new G.M. with not much exp., he has done some good things but still to many mistakes which is to be expected with his track record. Again, Lowe's fault.

Eakins seems like a good Coach but he is new to the NHL and must gain exp. to be good. Our Team is scrambling around and looks disorganized on D. This is our biggest problem right now along with Goaltending.

oilexport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 04:56 AM
CorpseFX

DVR'd it. glad i skipped right to the NHL.com highlights instead:

Belov: this dude looks atrocious. bad pinch on one goal. looked horrid on that 2-on-1 where Gagner started coasting on the back check. im done with this dude. return...... to the KHL.

Petry: his give away on one of the later goals looked so lazy. he just has too much of a bimbo / airhead aspect to his game that keeps me from ever trusting him.

"oh we need some goaltending" yes
defense. yes
forwards with "size and grit" (or how about just execute a system, tape to tape passes, knowing when to shoot, etc)

but what's even better is that the Oilers are so polarized with their assets that they can't even leverage their way into improving the team. you either sell TRASH or TREASURE. there's nothing in between to entice other teams.

and even the treasures they have that could potentially be dealt are frowned on because they can't prop any of them up with horrendous play.

rebuild? bullcrap.
that laugh-wagon is gone.
this is heading into crisis management.

CorpseFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 04:59 AM
Soundwave

Rookie coach, rookie GM, young team, Kevin Lowe at the top of it all ... well this couldn't possibly fail.

Old
10-30-2013, 05:01 AM
harpoon
FOB

Quote:

That never gets old.
That one and the Andy Sutton "expert" clip I watch every time someone posts them.

Quote:
This is our biggest problem right now along with Goaltending.
And you come on hfoil to blame Lowe when the team backup gets torched by the Kings. Cause "everybody but Lowe knew Labarbera was junk".
Please study how corporations work and how duties are divided.
Lowe is now not much but a conduit for Katz's plans. A paper shuffler and a guy who brags about his past glories.

Last edited by harpoon: 10-30-2013 at 05:07 AM.
harpoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 05:13 AM
Soundwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpoon View Post
That never gets old.
That one and the Andy Sutton "expert" clip I watch every time someone posts them.

And you come on hfoil to blame Lowe when the team backup gets torched by the Kings. Cause "everybody but Lowe knew Labarbera was junk".
Please study how corporations work and how duties are divided.
Lowe is now not much but a conduit for Katz's plans. A paper shuffler and a guy who brags about his past glories.
This franchise makes way too many decisions based on naivety.

Can't hire Burke ... too loud mouthed. Lets hire Lowe's best buddy instead with no GM experience. Then lets hire a rookie NHL coach to top it off. What could possibly go wrong?

Bernier and Seguin available? Naaaaaah. Lets not pursue either. Besides heard Seguin went to a party once, nah, need to only have boy scouts in the locker room). He may go Souray on us and say bad things about the GM. Nope.
Bernier? Naaaaah, lets just sign Dubnyk's best bud Labarbera and call it a day.

This franchise is so far up its ass sometimes in "building the right way" (whatever that's even supposed to mean). They completely overreacted to the Pronger/Souray situations.

Old
10-30-2013, 05:24 AM
harpoon
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
Oh no kidding. Even the Krueger and Eakins hirings are naive.

Quote:
Can't hire Burke ... too loud mouthed. Lets hire Lowe's best buddy instead with no GM experience.

Bernier and Seguin available? Naaaaaah. Lets not pursue either. Besides heard Seguin went to a party once, nah, need to only have boy scouts in the locker room). He may go Souray on us and say bad things about the GM. Nope.

This franchise is so far up its ass sometimes in "building the right way" (whatever that's even supposed to mean).
Preaching to the choir again. I've been against the rebuild since day one, posted long and loud on that topic and how collecting draft picks was no way to win anything. I was one of the few posters here to post repeatedly that Souray's "bad influence" was just the excuse Tamby used to when he tried to end Souray's NHL career. The real motivation of course was to soothe his bruised ego and help along the tank at the same time - with Katz's blessing of course.
And as for Burke, I would have welcomed him. I'm not too down on MacT yet though. I think he did make a reasonable number of positive moves in spite of the fact that he obviously flubbed the backup signing.

harpoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 05:24 AM
nexttothemoon
The Drive for Nine

Trade the entire organization to Buffalo... coaches, management, scouts, farm teams... the whole shebang.

Just to experience a different variety of suck... just as bad but at least it's different.

nexttothemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 05:32 AM
duul

vCash: 169
We outplayed the Leafs and almost doubled them in shots. You guys need to step off the ledge for a second. Their goalie had a legend status game and if he played like an average goalie we would have fun. You should win almost every game where you get that many more shots.

duul is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 05:32 AM
nexttothemoon
The Drive for Nine

I didn't have particularly high aspirations for this team this season. I thought they'd be 11th in the West and maybe squeeze into 10th... probably finish about 8th worst in the NHL.

They've even been disappointing by those low (I thought realistic) projections though.

Right now they are trending solidly towards another bottom 2 finish and if it weren't for the epicness of the Buffalo black hole of suck in the East, I'd say the Oilers are pretty much guaranteed a basement finish... especially when you look at how strong the West is. Honestly it's looking like it will be a minor miracle if they finish anywhere but 14th in the West this year.

nexttothemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 05:33 AM
RisingSun

vCash: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post

Can't hire Burke ... too loud mouthed. Lets hire Lowe's best buddy instead with no GM experience. Then lets hire a rookie NHL coach to top it off. What could possibly go wrong?

This franchise is so far up its ass sometimes in "building the right way" (whatever that's even supposed to mean). They completely overreacted to the Pronger/Souray situations.
Well, first off there was no way we were going to hire Burke, considering that whole Burke-Lowe fiasco. And btw Lowe's never leaving (for reasons I'm not going say, but just believe me on this one).

Also, how do you know we didn't inquire about Bernier, Seguin? On top of that, where do we have assets to acquire a guy like seguin? Because there's no way in hell we were going to trade Eberle or Yak for a potential head case. (Turns out he panned out)

Although I'll agree with you, this team has some terrible asset management, but this team has been ****ed from the beginning of this decade, and it's finally reached the apex of this proverbial S*** snowball.

RisingSun is offline   Reply With Quote