HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trotz next to be fired???

Old
10-29-2013, 07:29 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

vCash: 500
Billy Reay was a very good coach who got fired with a note under his door in the middle of his 14th season, so I guess anything is possible, but it would take an act of God or a 30-game losing streak to get Trotz fired mid-season, IMO.

There is an expectation, however, that this team is competitive and at least makes the playoffs. Poile didn't go spend $36M on forwards in free agency so this team could grab him another high draft pick in June. One has to assume Trotz had input on and approved of all those additions, so this is the team he wanted to put together, and if he can't win with it, or even score goals with it, it's possible that he could be dismissed at season's end.

Last edited by worstfaceoffmanever: 10-29-2013 at 07:36 PM.
worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2013, 08:12 PM
Gnashville
Never trade Weber

Only after he destroys all offensive talent on this team.

Gnashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2013, 08:21 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnashville View Post
Only after he destroys all offensive talent on this team.
Like he did to players from Hall and Hartnell through Kariya and Hornqvist.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2013, 08:26 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
I do think we look more conservative this year than any of those earlier years.

triggrman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2013, 08:37 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
Yet we're getting more pucks on net than any season since 09-10 ... with Hendricks and Gaustad .... with Fisher missing games .... with Stalberg's one SOG per game so far.

The cries that Trotz kills offense doesn't hold up when looked at across the board. Even with Radulov, the offensive talent wasn't killed ... there was just an expectation of at least looking like he was trying in all areas of the game. Arnott, Sullivan, and Dumont matched or surpassed their career numbers as a Pred. Kariya improved after coming to Nashville. Hell, Hordichuk scored as many goals in 05-06 (7) as he did with all other teams combined after leaving Nashville.

Old
10-29-2013, 08:45 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Yet we're getting more pucks on net than any season since 09-10 ... with Hendricks and Gaustad .... with Fisher missing games .... with Stalberg's one SOG per game so far.

The cries that Trotz kills offense doesn't hold up when looked at across the board. Even with Radulov, the offensive talent wasn't killed ... there was just an expectation of at least looking like he was trying in all areas of the game. Arnott, Sullivan, and Dumont matched or surpassed their career numbers as a Pred. Kariya improved after coming to Nashville. Hell, Hordichuk scored as many goals in 05-06 (7) as he did with all other teams combined after leaving Nashville.
I would love to see us use more of that style offense, we seemed way more aggressive offensively on those teams..

I like the cycle this year but it hasn't resulted in scoring chances yet, it's like we only know how to do the possession part but we don't create anything off the possession.

Those teams created on the fly way better. Now they didn't cycle for crap and we spend huge chunks of time in our own zone but we we got a chance, we finished.

Old
10-29-2013, 08:51 PM
adsfan

If you are going to fire a Head Coach or a GM, you need to keep one thing in mind. Who is available to replace that person? Scotty Bowman, Ted Nolan, Barry Melrose; Bueller, Bueller ...?

adsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2013, 09:17 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by adsfan View Post
If you are going to fire a Head Coach or a GM, you need to keep one thing in mind. Who is available to replace that person? Scotty Bowman, Ted Nolan, Barry Melrose; Bueller, Bueller ...?
honestly if for some reason trotz was fired i would expect housley to be interim for the rest of the season

PredsV82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 12:39 AM
thecloser

I like trotz, but i'm fed up with how he manages our offensive guys. That's where my frustration begins. Play Stalberg and get him off the fourth line for god's sake and he stays on the path he's been on then we know he's a bust or a slow beginner but I truly believe if Trotz would just let Berg play with guys that can keep up with him and help him, then he won't float and may be given a good opportunity to succeed in ways we desperately need.

thecloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 07:45 AM
Lug

Thanks for defending my honor Fish. I didn't think I would have to post a resume before giving my opinion. Yeah I've always just been a lurker, and yes I did forget my password, so my post count is starting from scratch, but I've been around since the beginning.

I think we are beating a dead horse here.

Seems to be a couple different mind sets to this.

1. Trotz and Poile do best with what they can get. Gotta respect that.

2. Tortz and Poile suck. Tortz can't coach his way out of a paper bag, and Poile only signs scrubs.

3. We have the best players in the game and I can't believe we don't win the cup every year.

Seems like most people fall into one of these categories, or at least close to one of them.

I think we have a lot of good young guys that are just getting in the swing of things, mixed with some decent vets. It will take some time and we have to stay healthy. Still a long way from getting rid of Trotz and Poile.

Lug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 08:32 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

I'm in between. I think Poile could do a better job but overall he's been ok. Trotz is the one I'm torn on. I wish we were more aggressive and think we have the players to play that style.

Old
10-30-2013, 09:20 AM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
I'm in between. I think Poile could do a better job but overall he's been ok. Trotz is the one I'm torn on. I wish we were more aggressive and think we have the players to play that style.
The Cullen line has shown aggressiveness. The Fisher line did before his injury. Now if we can get everyone on the ice healthy, practiced, and game ready maybe we can see a difference in every zone. If Stalberg plays a 170 foot game and corrals a few loose pucks in the d zone to get the play heading up ice, it would be a welcome change. If Bourque can figure out how to hit a corner rather than a goalie's crest, things start looking up. We still need ES production from Bourque, Wilson, and Forsberg ... add Stalberg to that list if he is put in the top nine.

Old
10-30-2013, 09:46 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
The Cullen line has shown aggressiveness. The Fisher line did before his injury. Now if we can get everyone on the ice healthy, practiced, and game ready maybe we can see a difference in every zone. If Stalberg plays a 170 foot game and corrals a few loose pucks in the d zone to get the play heading up ice, it would be a welcome change. If Bourque can figure out how to hit a corner rather than a goalie's crest, things start looking up. We still need ES production from Bourque, Wilson, and Forsberg ... add Stalberg to that list if he is put in the top nine.
I hope you're right.

Old
10-30-2013, 12:55 PM
token grinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Will Son View Post
It's time for a shakeup. Trotz simply doesn't have the same effect he used to on his players. He also doesn't know how to use players properly. Mainly forwards.

And Poile. He needs to go to IMHO

It's time for a true shakeup for this franchise.
What is different? what effect are you talking about? What more out of Adam Hall isn't he getting out of a Eric Nystrom for example? It is awesome to make broad statements, but please give examples.

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 01:08 PM
token grinder

Quote:
Do you think it is because we are trying to mask the fact we have 4 1st/2nd year guys on our blueline right now? Forwards come a little deeper makes it a bit tougher to get out of the dzone.

anyone have a stat on dmen shots vs us on the season?

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 02:25 PM
thecloser

i think our blueline has looked pretty solid, given the expierence.

and my big thing with trotz is scratching guys multiple times thinking its going to get change out of them. Stalberg needs to play.

thecloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 04:03 PM
Gnashville
Never trade Weber

Quote:
This team can't even set up in the offensive zone anymore. Zero forecheck, No flow what so ever and when they do shoot, no one crashes the net. They all go back on Defense. Our PP unit is using the 2 minutes as a defensive advantage.

Last edited by Gnashville: 10-30-2013 at 06:39 PM.
Old
10-30-2013, 04:09 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
This team can't even set up in the offensive zone anymore. Zero forecheck, No flow what so ever and when the do shoot, no crashes the net. They all go back on Defense. Our PP unit is using the 2 minutes as a defensive advantage.
Wow ... an all new list after your previous claim was shown to have severe flaws.

Old
10-30-2013, 07:49 PM
Gnashville
Never trade Weber

Quote:
Wow ... an all new list after your previous claim was shown to have severe flaws.
What flaws? of that list Kariya was a 100 point player before Trotz and Hartnell has had better years in Philly after leaving Trotz. Hornqvist would be a better scorer in a less restrictive system. Only Hall was better here and got shipped out quickly. Trotz coaches like it's 1998 and is not trying to win and only wants to keep it close. Yeah he did open it up for a few seasons. But those were veterans he let play that style not players he had from day one.

Old
10-30-2013, 08:01 PM
jwhouk
Cheesehead Pred

The downside we all need to remember is - things could always get worse after a Trotz/Poile firing.

jwhouk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 08:29 PM
dulzhok

Quote:
What flaws? of that list Kariya was a 100 point player before Trotz and Hartnell has had better years in Philly after leaving Trotz.
Kariya had his best year in 5 years under Trotz. He had a horrible year in Colorado the year before, and went on to do nothing in St Louis after.

Outside of one career year with Jagr and Girioux, Hartnell has produced very similar numbers in Philly as Nashville. He also was not on the 1st line with Nashville, rightfully behind Kariya and at times Dumont. Currently, he's part of the problem in Philly.

Bad comparables, especially Kariya.

dulzhok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 08:59 PM
Gnashville
Never trade Weber

Quote:
Originally Posted by dulzhok View Post
Kariya had his best year in 5 years under Trotz. He had a horrible year in Colorado the year before, and went on to do nothing in St Louis after.

Outside of one career year with Jagr and Girioux, Hartnell has produced very similar numbers in Philly as Nashville. He also was not on the 1st line with Nashville, rightfully behind Kariya and at times Dumont. Currently, he's part of the problem in Philly.

Bad comparables, especially Kariya.
He was injured in Colorado and St Loius

Last edited by Gnashville: 10-30-2013 at 09:06 PM.
Old
10-30-2013, 09:16 PM
dulzhok

Quote:
He was injured in Colorado and St Loius
Not the whole time and not when playing. Take Colorado away, you still have go back to 1998-99 to find a better year of production. Trotz in now way limited his production, and by the stats, he was the most productive he had been in 5 years under Trotz.

dulzhok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 09:20 PM
Iron Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by dulzhok View Post
Not the whole time and not when playing. Take Colorado away, you still have go back to 1998-99 to find a better year of production. Trotz in now way limited his production, and by the stats, he was the most productive he had been in 5 years under Trotz.
Yup.

Kariya Career PPG= 1.0 (exactly)
Kariya Preds PPG= .98

Considering he was well off a PPG pace in at least two seasons between that big 101 point season and his time as a Pred, I think it's safe to say that any stifling of his offensive game is not Trotz's responsibility.

Iron Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 09:36 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
What flaws? of that list Kariya was a 100 point player before Trotz and Hartnell has had better years in Philly after leaving Trotz. Hornqvist would be a better scorer in a less restrictive system. Only Hall was better here and got shipped out quickly. Trotz coaches like it's 1998 and is not trying to win and only wants to keep it close. Yeah he did open it up for a few seasons. But those were veterans he let play that style not players he had from day one.
You have to go back to 1998-2000 for any two seasons where Kariya averaged more than during his time in Nashville. His last three seasons in Anaheim were 67, 57, and 81 pts compared to 85 an 76 in Nashville. But, yeah ... focus on his one season in Colorado. Hartnell's goals per game in each of his last three years in Nashville was higher than in four of six seasons in Philly. Not surprisingly you forgot to mention his 14 goal season in Philly ... his worst since 2002-03.

Hall's "shipped out quickly" totaled seven years between draft and his trade to New York. Seven years, three full NHL seasons plus a lockout lost season is now "quickly" ... I'd hate to see what the word is to describe Tarnasky's tenure as a Pred.

It was the last full season when the Preds were the #8 scoring team in the league ... a year with Kostitsyn, Halischuk, Wilson, Smith, and Spaling all scoring ten or more goals ... Bourque with seven goals in 43 games ... not exactly a list of veterans. Hornqvist in his third full NHL season (fourth in North America), turning 25 during the year, led the team with 27 goals.