HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The 2014 Draft Prospect Thread: Breaking Blad - "They're Draft picks MacT, Jesus!"

View Poll Results: If the Oilers end up with the #1 overall pick, who would you select?
Sam Reinhart 16 4.92%
Aaron Ekblad 286 88.00%
William Nylander 6 1.85%
Leon Draisaitl 9 2.77%
Other (explain) 8 2.46%
Voters: 325. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
10-16-2013, 08:15 AM
canovin
Klefbom's charm

vCash: 500
If oilers get reinhart, I wouldn't mind given up yakupov for brodin, trouba or oel, etc. And extend Hemsky. Smid for Laughton, ott, Jenner, etc.

Old
10-16-2013, 08:16 AM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger_80 View Post
I think that's what will have to happen basically. We need a goal-tender, 1D, 2C, and maybe a power forward as well.

Eberle, Yakupov, Gagner, J.Schultz, Klefbom, Marincin, 1st in 2014 can get some pretty good pieces.
I really don't think we'd have to offer up Klefbom or Nurse, but I wouldn't mind letting go of Marincin. WOuldn't want to let go of Klefbom or Nurse. They're an important part of our future IMO.

Old
10-16-2013, 08:18 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards

vCash: 612
We have a draft thread, and we all know how the team is doing, geez. Stupid Stupid Stupid Stupid title.

Old
10-16-2013, 08:54 AM
Gone
Fire KLowe

Love the title!

At this point I think blowing up the blow up is the only way to build the winner we want, particularly because the organizations scouting is so terrible. A few well time 'bold moves' could keep us on track for a lottery pick. Getting a true number one centre in Reinhart would go a long way to making this team respectable. The timing could also work especially well given Nurse could be good enough to join the team next year as well. Any pick beyond this should be used on goalies, so 1 centre and 6 goalies, sounds like an Oiler style draft.

Last edited by Gone: 10-30-2013 at 03:07 PM.
Old
10-16-2013, 09:03 AM
Up the Irons

vCash: 480
Quote:
Originally Posted by thadd View Post
One thing you need to ask yourself is WHO is used to losing and who is hard to play against?

Let's say you traded Gagner, Acrobello, Eberle, Dubby, Yakupov, our 2014 1st rounder and Justin Schultz and went looking for a tougher 2nd line center, a power forward winger, a starting goalie and a top pairing d-man.

Yeah. I know. That's a helluva shopping list, but that's also a ton of talent to put on the table.

Hall-Hopkins-Power forward
Perron-Tougher center-Hemsky
Joensuu -Gordon- unknown/Jones/something else we get out of the deal(s)
Gazdic-Action/something else we get out of the deal(s)-Brown/Jones

Smid-Legit #1 d-man
Ference-Petry
Schultz - Belov

Real starting goalie
Lolbarbara

That's a helluva lot of changes, but it's the direction we need to go in if we want to get in the right direction. We need to shoot for pieces that will make us a team that will:

1: Put the fear of god into other players by wearing them physically
2: Give us a chance to win every night
3: Have the right quality of depth at all positions.

If you ask me, that team I just drew out there looks very powerful. If Mac-T were able to make that happen over the next season, we'd easily be a playoff team for the 14/15 season and after that the Oilers would need to start paying more attention to minor league development and scouting to keep the ball rolling.
well, Gagner won't be traded for at least 2 years because Mact promised him, but there rest that you have listed could, and should be gone; i wouldn't be surprised if Kelfbom is gone, too. it's obvious that this collection of talent isn't winning anything. Smid is probably gone.

Old
10-16-2013, 09:10 AM
Hammer8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger_80 View Post
I'd rather trade the lottery pick for someone like J.Benn or one of Colorado's top centres.
I want to be the starting center fielder for the New York Yankees but that's not going to happen either.

Old
10-16-2013, 09:18 AM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustE View Post
well, Gagner won't be traded for at least 2 years because Mact promised him, but there rest that you have listed could, and should be gone; i wouldn't be surprised if Kelfbom is gone, too. it's obvious that this collection of talent isn't winning anything. Smid is probably gone.
To be fair, can't expect Mac-T to make all of these changes overnight, so a piece like Gagner might be around for longer.

Old
10-16-2013, 09:48 AM
Billybaroo*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone View Post
Love the tittle!

At this point I think blowing up the blow up is the only way to build the winner we want, particularly because the organizations scouting is so terrible. A few well time 'bold moves' could keep us on track for a lottery pick. Getting a true number one centre in Reinhart would go a long way to making this team respectable. The timing could also work especially well given Nurse could be good enough to join the team next year as well. Any pick beyond this should be used on goalies, so 1 centre and 6 goalies, sounds like an Oiler style draft.
In what world is Renhart prospectively better than RNH as a $1 centre?

Old
10-16-2013, 03:19 PM
Oilers4life1987

I dont get why some poster in here thinks that RNH wont beva clear #1 center cause of his weight. Seriously, look at datsyuk and others. Come on, he's been playing well. Its the start of the year.

Old
10-17-2013, 12:20 AM
BarDownBobo

I was listening to the DraftCentre podcast today, and the way they were describing Ivan Barbashev sounded like he's a guy who could be a nice fit here. He's capable of playing all three forward spots, has great skills offensively, plays a good two way game and he's a natural leader. Along with that they were saying he's got the mentality where all that matters to him is winning, and he'll do whatever it takes to get the W and influence his teammates to do the same.

Old
10-17-2013, 12:35 AM
FireMacT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloth Slothersons View Post
Trade all of our draft picks in this year's draft for immediate help. Don't even show up to the draft.
You should be GM and I'm not being sarcastic.

Old
10-29-2013, 11:34 PM
BarDownBobo

I know there are a couple Oil fans out in Ontario who get out to some OHL games, and I've got a question for you guys. How do Aaron Ekblad and Roland McKeown compare? Does McKeown have a chance to challenge Ekblad to be the top defenseman drafted?

Old
10-30-2013, 12:04 AM
Lindo

I'm hoping they pick up a center, or a defensemen if they don't see any centers worth picking at wherever. Preferably a center, that seems to be a huge area we lack depth, and just for god sakes, absolutely no wingers in the first/second round.

Old
10-30-2013, 01:09 AM
dnicks17

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarDownBobo View Post
I know there are a couple Oil fans out in Ontario who get out to some OHL games, and I've got a question for you guys. How do Aaron Ekblad and Roland McKeown compare? Does McKeown have a chance to challenge Ekblad to be the top defenseman drafted?
I don't think so.

McKeown isn't quite dynamic enough, imo. He's more of a Ryan Suter type.

I think Ekblad has a higher offensive ceiling as well as a size/physicality package that McKeown can only dream of.

Old
10-30-2013, 09:08 AM
DousedInOil

Nurse-Ekblad
Klefbom-Petry
Ference-Schultz

That would be a pretty decent defence 2-3 years.

Old
10-30-2013, 09:18 AM
BoldNewLettuce
Esquire

vCash: 157
eye-twitchy for ritchie

Old
10-30-2013, 09:21 AM
Tarus
Fire Mact

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremiahjones View Post
I'm hoping they pick up a center, or a defensemen if they don't see any centers worth picking at wherever. Preferably a center, that seems to be a huge area we lack depth, and just for god sakes, absolutely no wingers in the first/second round.
It's all good.

We can take Ekbald this year, and Mcdavid next.

Problems solved

Old
10-30-2013, 09:26 AM
DousedInOil

I haven't been following this years draft class that closely but I haven't noticed any big centers at the top end of the draft. Dal Colle and Virtanen would be nice along the wings but I don't see us drafting another winger. Anyone know if these guys project to be centers? Or am I missing anyone?

Old
10-30-2013, 11:09 AM
Soli
Supervision Required

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
I don't think so.

McKeown isn't quite dynamic enough, imo. He's more of a Ryan Suter type.

I think Ekblad has a higher offensive ceiling as well as a size/physicality package that McKeown can only dream of.
People are raving about his +/- but I wonder how deceiving that is playing on the Frontenacs. Those that watch are saying he's playing some outstanding defensive hockey. But absolutely, he doesn't possess the physical tools that are going to be the gap he can't bridge between their two stocks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DousedInOil View Post
I haven't been following this years draft class that closely but I haven't noticed any big centers at the top end of the draft. Dal Colle and Virtanen would be nice along the wings but I don't see us drafting another winger. Anyone know if these guys project to be centers? Or am I missing anyone?
I'd say you're looking at Dal Colle and shifting him back to center. He's been playing LW and sparingly at center throughout the year, but his game is all about taking the puck to the net and he's got some terrific mitts in close. Maybe take a shot at Sam Bennett. He's about 6 feet, so not necessarily big, but by all accounts he's physically aggressive. After that, I'd be looking at Jared McCann. These are all likely Top-10 picks.

But if we hold the position we're in, I'd want Ekblad. If he was 4 years along and left handed, he'd be exactly what we need right now. You can't trade for these guys, got to draft them.

Old
10-30-2013, 11:19 AM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

If the team continues on this path -which it probably will - I would look at rebuilding the team properly, from the back end out. Choose the stud forward you want to build with, One or two of them, and trade the others for good veterans who can help the team move forward. Build around a D core of Ekblad, Nurse, Klefbom and trade whatever you need to for a Weber or OEL or someone.

Old
10-30-2013, 02:00 PM
Beerfish

Our pick should be on the block immediately if we are top three and especially if we are 1st overall. Either for a package to get some of that illusive 'immediate help' or to trade down and pick 2 or three guys in the 1st round that fits the mould for the players we need.

Old
10-30-2013, 02:09 PM
ponokanocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
Our pick should be on the block immediately if we are top three and especially if we are 1st overall. Either for a package to get some of that illusive 'immediate help' or to trade down and pick 2 or three guys in the 1st round that fits the mould for the players we need.
I really wonder if they will start to do this. I actually wouldn't mind seeing them move Yakupov either. Not because I don't think he won't turn into an elite winger, but because we need to almost completely re-do our blueline.

Old
10-30-2013, 02:10 PM
misfit

vCash: 50
I was wondering why it wouldn't let me delete those posts (you're too quick JJ). Anyway, keep it to draft talk in this thread.

If we end up with the top pick either by merit (finishing last) or luck (lottery), I don't care how badly we "need defense", I'm still taking Reinhart. No question.

Plus, it would be fun to see the TSN panel lose their **** if the Oilers took another forward 1st overall.

10-30-2013, 02:12 PM
misfit

vCash: 50
I would be totally for trading the pick for immediate help if we actually got value for it.

Old
10-30-2013, 02:14 PM
BoldNewLettuce
Esquire

vCash: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoldNewLettuce View Post
eye-twitchy for ritchie
rename it soli....

it is your duty.

Closed Thread