HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Any chance we send MacKinnon to the WJC?

Old
10-30-2013, 12:10 AM
Muffin
Avalanche Flavoured

vCash: 500
Any chance we send MacKinnon to the WJC?

I know Duchene/O'Reilly were not sent to compete at the WJC a few years back, but they played a way bigger role on the team than MacKinnon does now. Would it be better for MacKinnon's development to have him compete in the tournament as the likely top Centre rather than play 10-15 minutes here in the NHL?

Muffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 12:15 AM
BrickAHL
No More

No way, he is ours. (Ours as an Avs not Canada)

BrickAHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 12:20 AM
avsman

If he's looking like he could use a self esteem boost, and one of our AHL guys are looking like they deserve some NHL ice time I wouldn't be against it.

avsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 12:25 AM
jfisher6
#thestructure

vCash: 50
I highly doubt it and I also don't think it would help him as much as staying up would

jfisher6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 12:32 AM
Freudian
Slightly overpaid

I don't think guys who made the NHL want to go. They might say the right thing if asked but they much rather play in the NHL. NHL is the dream. Not WJC.

Only way I can see it happening is if Mac really struggles and Roy figures it might help to boost his confidence. But it's unlikely.

Freudian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 12:32 AM
tigervixxxen
Optimism=Delusional

I'd be absolutely shocked but I'd give it at about zero chance of happening. Look at the schedule during the WJC, the Avs have a huge 7 game homestand and play every other day during that stretch. But regardless MacKinnon is a big enough part of the team, there is no way they are sending him on a two week field trip to Sweden. He's a NHL player, that's what he needs to stay doing.

tigervixxxen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 01:27 AM
Avs
Bozak + 2nd

I can see it now. Roy calls MacKinnon into his office.

Roy: What do you think about going to play in the WJC?

MacKinnon: Well, I-

Roy:

Then Roy walks out of his office like a boss, leaving MacKinnon sitting there confused about what just happened.

Avs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 02:41 AM
Teuras
Registered offender

vCash: 1175
I would be disappointed if he even wanted to go. This is his rookie season in the NHL and every minute counts. Next time he's playing for Canada will be in 2018

Teuras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 02:55 AM
Joe Sakic
Goodbye ROR

Honestly wouldn't be against it.

Move Mitchell to the 3rd line and call up Malone/Hishon to get them some NHL experience all the while MacKinnon gets to represent his country at the world jrs. and then dominate the 2nd half of the junior season and power through the play-offs with a good idea of areas he needs to work on and winning everything again giving him a huge boost of confidence.going into next year - the year we can really push for a deep play-off run.

Joe Sakic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 03:11 AM
jfisher6
#thestructure

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvsFan20 View Post
Honestly wouldn't be against it.

Move Mitchell to the 3rd line and call up Malone/Hishon to get them some NHL experience all the while MacKinnon gets to represent his country at the world jrs. and then dominate the 2nd half of the junior season and power through the play-offs with a good idea of areas he needs to work on and winning everything again giving him a huge boost of confidence.going into next year - the year we can really push for a deep play-off run.
Would probably just serve to re-confuse him about everything we do in the D-zone

jfisher6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 04:00 AM
tigervixxxen
Optimism=Delusional

Hard to believe but MacKinnon is actually going to win some games for this team at some point, or at least have a better chance at doing so than Mitchell or Malone on the third line. Or let's send MacKinnon away for the guy who has a grand total of 12 AHL games experience.

tigervixxxen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 04:07 AM
Mr Writer

An interesting development on that front...

Hockey Canada is considering easing off on their policy of NHL players, if they are being released, must be released for the start of camp (usually on or around 10-12 of December)

HC is now considering adding NHL players later (a week later) so a player instead of missing 10 - 12 NHL games (approximately) will only miss 7 - 9 games. (approximately)

They are considering it, although in the end I doubt they do make that change. We'll see.

I doubt Nate gets released. But of course I want to see Nate get one more shot at it.

Mr Writer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 04:23 AM
JoemAvs

Hell No!
Mac needs to soak in every minute of NHL experience he can get.
I expect him to be way better in December.
We certainly should not let him go play a meaningless youth tournament nobody outside of Canada cares about....

Mac is here to stay!

JoemAvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 06:40 AM
kento19
@kento19

I don't think either Duchene or O'Reilly played a bigger role in their rookie years as Mackinnon does this year?

kento19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 07:37 AM
Mr Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kento19 View Post
I don't think either Duchene or O'Reilly played a bigger role in their rookie years as Mackinnon does this year?
The pair (especially Duchene) had a great start to their rookie year. More so than Nate. You think both would have helped on the junior team that year? I think they could have had a huge impact at that tournament.

Old
10-30-2013, 07:50 AM
Gigantor The Goalie

Don't see the point in sending him. If we sent him he'd have to relearn the system and have readjust again to the NHL. Just makes no sense. If he want's to play for Canada, there's always the Olympics.

Gigantor The Goalie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 09:17 AM
Razor29
0-0-0

The only proper answer: lol no.

Razor29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 09:24 AM
kento19
@kento19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Writer View Post
The pair (especially Duchene) had a great start to their rookie year. More so than Nate. You think both would have helped on the junior team that year? I think they could have had a huge impact at that tournament.
I'm not arguing that they wouldn't have had an impact on the world junior team. They would have been the best players there. What i'm arguing is that Mackinnon is mroe valuable to the Avs then they were individually in their rookie year. I don't know if people forget this but Mackinnon had 7 points in his first 6 games. He's off to a fantastic start. He's hit a bit of a slump but so has the rest of his line.

kento19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 09:42 AM
The Mars Volchenkov
Everberg flow

vCash: 277
Send a message via MSN to The Mars Volchenkov
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Writer View Post
Duchene had 7 points in his first 22 games his rookie year. He didn't really get off to a better start than Nate. People need to put that in perspective and give MacKinnon time to adjust.

Landeskog had 8 in his first 19 games.

MacKinnon will be fine and there's no way he's going to WJC, IMO.

Last edited by The Mars Volchenkov: 10-30-2013 at 09:54 AM.
The Mars Volchenkov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 09:49 AM
Flanagan
Registered Loser

vCash: 900
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mars Volchenkov View Post
Duchene had 7 points in his first 22 games his rookie year. He didn't really get off to a better start than Nate.
Exactly. It took MacK 6 games to do what it took Duchene 22.

He's going to get better and I want to see him stay in an Avs jersey doing it.

Flanagan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 10:25 AM
henchman24
If and if...

henchman24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 10:31 AM
Mr Writer

Quote:
Duchene had 7 points in his first 22 games his rookie year. He didn't really get off to a better start than Nate. People need to put that in perspective and give MacKinnon time to adjust.

Well, perhaps I'm confusing Duchene's first few months of NHL action with later on that rookie year..

I'm not criticizing Nate. I've been a fan since he was 13/14. (I'm from the area), not Halifax or Cole Harbour... but close enough I don't happen to view a player's participation at the WJC as a demotion or assessment of a player's NHL readiness. I just happen to value that tournament and believe all the best players should play in it. And I also wrote and have believed all along since before draft day, Nate would not be made available. so back up.

Old
10-30-2013, 11:17 AM
Chau Vo
Hockey's Future Staff

There's nothing left for him at the junior level.

Chau Vo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 11:49 AM
Foppa2118
Release Evertroll

Quote:

Not that I'm worried about Nate's start, but Duchene had way more dangerous scoring chances than Nate has had. He was just snakebit. MacKinnon had a very good first couple games, but hasn't quite looked as comfortable since. He's made some good plays, but also benefited assist wise from his linemates finding the back of the net. Duchene had a better start IMO even if the points don't tell that story.

Foppa2118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 12:26 PM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

Unless he's playing 4th line minutes and getting scratched frequently, there is no reason to remove him from the team. He will develop better at his current level of competition, not being removed from his current situation, spending two weeks playing against worse competition on international sized ice, and then coming back, trying to recover from jet lag and reintegrate with the team.

UsernameWasTaken is offline   Reply With Quote