HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Carey Price Discussion Thread (Part 7) Can't Win Olympic Games Edition

Closed Thread

Old
10-28-2013, 10:53 PM
Team_Spirit
Gangsta Pleks

vCash: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akipa View Post
Here's a look at the possible effect going to the Olympics could have on this season for the Montreal Canadiens should Price play.

http://lastwordonsports.com/2013/10/...e-habs-season/
I kinda argee with this but at the same time all the elite players will be there so the 'wear in tear' apply to everyone.

Old
10-28-2013, 10:57 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryson View Post
D was good too. I can't think of any glaring mistakes they made in the match. Only 7 shots in the 1st and 6 in the 3rd allowed. Blocked Shots 28 - 11. So ya D was good.
Set the tone, blocked a tonne of shots, and brought it home more or less under control. Good game all around against a team that is better than its points in the standings.

Old
10-28-2013, 11:01 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Another idiotic comment on the PGT by LG, wow to the people taking his bait.

Old
10-28-2013, 11:02 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Okay, I'm saying good and good unless I hear otherwise.

In regards to the blocked shots, I was listening to the Rangers broadcast and they kept going on about how great we were at blocking shots. Sounded pretty complimentary towards our D (esp on the penalty kill too) so they seem to agree with the posters here so that's good enough.

Game 1: Price Good, Defense Bad - Loss
Game 2: Price Good, Defense Good - Win
Game 3: Price Good, Defense Bad - Loss
Game 4: Budaj Good, Defense Good - Win
Game 5: Price Good, Defense Bad - Win
Game 6: Price Good, Defense Mediocre - Win
Game 7: Price Good, Defense Good - Win
Game 8: Price Good, Defense Mediocre - Loss
Game 9: Price Mediocre, Defense Bad - Loss
Game 10: Price Good, Defense Good - Win
Game 11: Price Good, Defense Mediocre - Loss
Game 12: Budaj Good, Defense Good - Win

Old
10-29-2013, 09:43 AM
Lshap

Our D was good last night, or more accurately, it was better than it's been. Fewer wide open lanes and wide open space for opposing forwards, fewer totally blown coverages. Part of that's because it's the first game (I think) with no rookie Dmen in the lineup. Still, I'm hoping we still see more of Beaulieu and Tinordi -- every rookie mistake they make is a lesson learned. We need those guys to develop their NHL muscles.

We were also very lucky. Budaj was sharp, the Rangers had us reeling but couldn't convert. Diaz is becoming a real concern.

Old
10-29-2013, 10:07 AM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

If the Habs D showed significant issues against teams like PHI and NYR right now (both well under 2 goals/game) they wouldn't be close to playoff level. We're lucky the goalies are both playing elite level right now, anything short the loss column would be much higher IMO. Habs need their G as 1st star to win which is not exactly something that brings optimism going forward.

Old
10-29-2013, 11:29 AM
Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
If the Habs D showed significant issues against teams like PHI and NYR right now (both well under 2 goals/game) they wouldn't be close to playoff level. We're lucky the goalies are both playing elite level right now, anything short the loss column would be much higher IMO. Habs need their G as 1st star to win which is not exactly something that brings optimism going forward.
I agree completely. Our goaltending has been our strongest element so far this season. In every game we've won this season we've had strong goaltending, and in most of the losses, we've has similarly strong performances. We're relying on our strong goaltending to keep us in this season, which doesn't bring optimism as you say. But it is nice to know that we have a capable back-up in Budaj behind Carey Price, so we don't need to lean on Carey to have a gigantic workload.

Our most glaring weakness right now is that we have a huge drop-off in reliability on defence after Subban-Markov. The easiest way to improve this team is to steady the defence. Murray might help things - I liked how he played yesterday. Emelin will also help when he's ready.

Old
10-29-2013, 03:55 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lshap View Post
Our D was good last night, or more accurately, it was better than it's been. Fewer wide open lanes and wide open space for opposing forwards, fewer totally blown coverages. Part of that's because it's the first game (I think) with no rookie Dmen in the lineup. Still, I'm hoping we still see more of Beaulieu and Tinordi -- every rookie mistake they make is a lesson learned. We need those guys to develop their NHL muscles.

We were also very lucky. Budaj was sharp, the Rangers had us reeling but couldn't convert. Diaz is becoming a real concern.
The Rangers are having a lot of trouble scoring goals though. Our D looked good and that's great but we saw what happened with the Sharks. Play a hard forechecking game and we have trouble. Put guys in front of our net and it's harder still.

This D is still too one dimensional as a whole.

Old
10-29-2013, 04:54 PM
Lshap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
The Rangers are having a lot of trouble scoring goals though. Our D looked good and that's great but we saw what happened with the Sharks. Play a hard forechecking game and we have trouble. Put guys in front of our net and it's harder still.

This D is still too one dimensional as a whole.
My standards have sunk. At this point I'm just happy to see the opposition not getting clear breaks, or be given tons of room to shoot, or be crowded around our net like sumo wrestlers at a buffet table. The fumbling in our own zone has been brutal to watch this season, even when we win. Murray is slow as hell, but he'll help our net presence. Otherwise, if this season features a lot of Beaulieu and Tinordi, expect the D to take one step back to move two steps forward. We're missing Emelin, which was expected, and we're also missing Diaz, who has apparently been replaced by Brian Boitano.

Old
10-29-2013, 09:52 PM
sharks9

The goal tonight was bad but other than that he was great! Made some very solid saves and did a good job of absorbing shots.

Old
10-29-2013, 09:53 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Game 13: Price Good, Defense Good - Win

I'm giving our D a rating of 'good' tonight. It wasn't great but it was good with a lot of blocked shots. Price let in a terrible goal but was otherwise great with another solid performance. Wouldn't call it a steal, but he was the best player on the ice and has the number one star to prove it.

Onto the next game.

Old
10-29-2013, 09:53 PM
Price My Man Crush

I'll be the happiest man on Earth when he's gonna come back with the gold medal with Subban.

Old
10-29-2013, 09:54 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lshap View Post
My standards have sunk. At this point I'm just happy to see the opposition not getting clear breaks, or be given tons of room to shoot, or be crowded around our net like sumo wrestlers at a buffet table. The fumbling in our own zone has been brutal to watch this season, even when we win. Murray is slow as hell, but he'll help our net presence. Otherwise, if this season features a lot of Beaulieu and Tinordi, expect the D to take one step back to move two steps forward. We're missing Emelin, which was expected, and we're also missing Diaz, who has apparently been replaced by Brian Boitano.
It's nice to finally see some hits thrown. My God, I'd forgotten what it was like to see us throw one. You get the odd big hit by Subban but other than that we don't hit anything. Murray is a welcome addition from that perspective.

Old
10-29-2013, 10:16 PM
Andy

If the team defense plays the way it has these last two games every night, I would be extremely happy. Team defense has been incredible.

Old
10-29-2013, 11:04 PM
sharks9

Quote:
It's nice to finally see some hits thrown. My God, I'd forgotten what it was like to see us throw one. You get the odd big hit by Subban but other than that we don't hit anything. Murray is a welcome addition from that perspective.
As long as he can cut down on the interference calls I'll be happy.

Old
10-30-2013, 03:57 AM
dackelljuneaubulis02

Price's numbers are very good considering the amount of shots he's faced and TOI compared to the few ahead of him in GAA and SV%.

Really hope he can keep it up.

Old
10-30-2013, 09:54 AM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
If the team defense plays the way it has these last two games every night, I would be extremely happy. Team defense has been incredible.
The team has adopted a shot blocking strategy which is great but I'm worried about injuries. That's a great way to get an ankle broken.

I think Therrien pointed to the Sharks and used them as an example for us because those guys were blocking pucks all over the place. Since then we've seen a lot of blocked shots. 60 in the last two games.

Old
10-30-2013, 10:09 AM
Milhouse40

Quote:
Originally Posted by dackelljuneaubulis02 View Post
Price's numbers are very good considering the amount of shots he's faced and TOI compared to the few ahead of him in GAA and SV%.

Really hope he can keep it up.
Top 10 Goalies with the most shot this year

1- 385 shots : Pavelec and 90.9%
2- 360 shots : Price and 93.9%
3- 359 shots: Miller and 91.4%
4- 331 shots: Smith and 90.3%
5- 326 shots: Anderson and 91.1%
6- 310 shots: Brobovski and 91.6%
7- 308 shots: Nabokov and 90.6%
8- 303 shots: Luongo and 90.8%
9- 298 shots: Holtby and 91,3%
10- 289 shots: Quick and 90.7%

Add that Price got a 2.02
Closest to him is Luongo at 2.50

Considering the number of shots...Price as been one of the best...

Old
10-30-2013, 10:39 AM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
The team has adopted a shot blocking strategy which is great but I'm worried about injuries. That's a great way to get an ankle broken.

I think Therrien pointed to the Sharks and used them as an example for us because those guys were blocking pucks all over the place. Since then we've seen a lot of blocked shots. 60 in the last two games.
I'm not surprised that shot blocking seems to have gone up with injuries. A shot block is not in itself a bad thing, but the fact that you have to block a ton of shots means something else is wrong. Losing 2 great defensive bottom 6 wingers, a top 4 D and a top flight winger will do that to you.

Old
10-30-2013, 10:49 AM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebinne4pres View Post
Top 10 Goalies with the most shot this year

1- 385 shots : Pavelec and 90.9%
2- 360 shots : Price and 93.9%
3- 359 shots: Miller and 91.4%
4- 331 shots: Smith and 90.3%
5- 326 shots: Anderson and 91.1%
6- 310 shots: Brobovski and 91.6%
7- 308 shots: Nabokov and 90.6%
8- 303 shots: Luongo and 90.8%
9- 298 shots: Holtby and 91,3%
10- 289 shots: Quick and 90.7%

Add that Price got a 2.02
Closest to him is Luongo at 2.50

Considering the number of shots...Price as been one of the best...
Considering shot total, I'd say that GAA is more impressive than SV%. It's not too hard for goalies that face ~40 shots to have a 0.920vs% - 0.925sv% but having a near 2 GAA with that is really impressive.

However, this isn't really sustainable...Habs have to step it up defensively/puck possession wise.

Old
10-30-2013, 10:55 AM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
Considering shot total, I'd say that GAA is more impressive than SV%. It's not too hard for goalies that face ~40 shots to have a 0.920vs% - 0.925sv% but having a near 2 GAA with that is really impressive.

However, this isn't really sustainable...Habs have to step it up defensively/puck possession wise.
As long as the Leafs keep up their stupid unsustainable shooting percentage, I'll gladly take our unsustainability on the other end. Both teams will come crashing down soon enough if they don't fix these issues.

Old
10-30-2013, 10:59 AM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
As long as the Leafs keep up their stupid unsustainable shooting percentage, I'll gladly take our unsustainability on the other end. Both teams will come crashing down soon enough if they don't fix these issues.
Yeah I agree, would be nice to go back to last season's puck possession style as opposed to this almost Jacques Martin - esque gameplay.

Leafs technically have un-sustainability on both ends of the ice (though elite special teams). I eager await for another classic installment of '18 wheeler going off cliff' in the second half. Dat schadenfreude...

Old
10-30-2013, 11:05 AM
Serious HABit

he's been excellent.

Old
10-30-2013, 11:52 AM
FrontierPsyCHiatrist*
Master Pleks

He's playing his best hockey in his career so far. Feels good to have a great goalie in his prime. He's very calm compared to the last 2 years.

Old
10-30-2013, 02:08 PM
dzd ncnfzd

Quote:
Game 13: Price Good, Defense Good - Win

I'm giving our D a rating of 'good' tonight. It wasn't great but it was good with a lot of blocked shots. Price let in a terrible goal but was otherwise great with another solid performance. Wouldn't call it a steal, but he was the best player on the ice and has the number one star to prove it.

Onto the next game.
I'd put the defense as "fair", between "mediocre-FR/mediocre-Eng" and good...not enough categories really though I understand it's meant to be simplistic. (A 1-5 categorization might have been an idea, and more quantify-able?)

Still I'm enjoying this thread

Closed Thread