HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

2014 LMHF Report - Game #5

Old
10-30-2013, 12:06 AM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

vCash: 500
2014 LMHF Report - Game #5

EDMONTON 0

VS.

TORONTO 4
--------------------

So, we're going to go in a bit of a different direction tonight. The approach I'm about to take doesn't absolve the players at all but there are some things that need to be said and I'm going to say them. Seriously considered not posting anything tonight. That was bloody embarassing and even more so with the crowd composition at a Leafs game. We couldn't even boo the team off the ice because of all the season ticket holders who are either part time fans or gave their tickets away.

Dallas Eakins is making too many mistakes and being outcoached night-in, night-out. Period.

Listening to him defend the team after the game, claiming that they only battle they lost was the execution battle...it was either a lie, delusion, or the man is incompetent. His team had one strong period, and even then they were disorganized. This guy is caught up in the "shoot and shoot from anywhere" game plan. It doesn't work. 30 of the shots tonight should be classified as turnovers. This team had so few quality chances it was amazing. He claimed they didn't get dominated...having that many odd man rushes generated against you, and having your goaltender have to make that many toe saves means you were dominated. I didn't mind Bachman tonight aside from the Kessel 2nd period goal as he got caught napping. He probably made 10 absolutely excellent saves, moved the puck to his team and played another calm game in the net.

Putting Gagner straight onto the top line was a mistake. He was going to be rusty and miss some chances at the very least. Even if you're going to take that chance, you surely don't give him the other team's best line as a defensive assignment right off the hop. They were set up to be destroyed and they were.

Eakins also has a foolish connection to the Yakupov-Eberle duo. He defended them after the game...one in which they'd just hung up their second -4 in a short time. Anyone watching (except the Coach apparently) can see that they do not feed off each others' games at all. Both did a few nice things individually, but they are never in the right place to keep puck control. They don't cover for pinching defencemen well at all and get exposed. They don't generate shots from the slot. Terrible and it is Eakins' job to notice.

Am I the only one that took the lesson from Kessel's adventure with John Scott earlier this year? If Eakins wanted to get Kessel off his game right from the get go, he should have sent Gazdic to shadow him the first shift and let him know how things are going to be. Instead, his ideal use of his "enforcer" is to go for a leisurely stroll on one shift with Colton Orr after Gazdic had already stopped finishing checks.

I'm not as hung up on icetime as the media seems to be at this point, but if players aren't producing or are getting owned, you don't just keep sending them to the wolves.

I give him credit for benching Petry after that incredibly stupid giveaway. That was just a horrible play. I do wonder though - would he have benched him if he hadn't had 7 D?

And that play leads me to another point - I am starting to wonder about Eakins' breakout. Way too many passes are going up the middle. This happened specifically with Jones in MTL (after which he was promoted to the first line...) and Petry tonight. I also noticed that the D are specfically looking up the middle to the point where it almost appears that Eakins has preached this as a first option. I could see this MAYBE catching AHL teams off guard, but it is a recipe for giving the other team easy goals in the NHL. The two options seem to be either to pass up the middle (often to no one) or bounce it out off the glass (after which the other team counterattacks) - I'm sure any of you who have every played the game see the problem with this.

As an offensively gifted team, you probably noticed that the Leafs don't really dump the puck that much, and drive up the middle whenever they can. The Oilers keep talking about getting the puck deep and chasing...it doesn't work with this roster (or many rosters in the current NHL). This is a rush team. They need to hold the puck and create multiple attacking levels which break down the opposition D to create passing lanes. We're seeing none of that right now. It is abundantly clear that this is not part of the gameplan. The gameplan is to either dump it or fire shots from so far out wide that they just create rush opportunities in the other direction. Again, this is something anyone who has played the game for any length of time knows you just don't do. Giving them freebies is terrible.

Eakins doesn't get it. He doesn't understand his roster or the NHL. What Dave Poulin said on the radio before the game is interesting to me...he said that Eakins is very very stubborn. This can be a great thing - unless what you're being stubborn about is wrong - which it appears to be.

This game exposed our game planning, roster decisions and lack of ability to adapt. Sure we need execution as well...but you get what you set - and we're set up incorrectly from the get-go. That's why the Oilers have not controlled a hockey game all year.

LoudmouthHemskyfan#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 12:09 AM
Gobo
What's Your Issue?

Why the Oilers aren't a rush team has perplexed me for years

Gobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 12:32 AM
Mowzie
Asst. Dishwasher

How you can continue to put this monstrosity of a season/franchise in to such an eloquent and thoughtful summary is commendable.

This team just plain old sucks. Peel pack the suck and find other layers of suck. I don't have enough fingers to point, and at this point, it doesn't really matter so I will just call it general organizational ineptitude.

Mowzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 12:33 AM
armandh01

As bad as Krueger was at times, he always struck me as a guy capable of evolving and not afraid to say he was wrong. He was smart enough to change for the better. Not sure about Eakins.

Not to defend Krueger but just saying he had a better personality imo. I hated a lot of what he did. But he still struck me as smart enough to fix his problems. Eakins doesn't sound smart enough nor capable of knowing when to point the finger at himself.

armandh01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 12:42 AM
Draekke

vCash: 50
Always appreciate someone taking the time to post an analysis of the game.

I, too, am worried about Eakins right now. It's just shear luck, imo, that Gagner had the faceoff % he did tonight... when I learned that Eakins took Arco off the C duty, I was livid. If Gags can keep it up, then fine... but what the hell, why demote one of our highest scorers to the third line? And give Jones the top line mins? Just crazy. Seems to me that Eakins is rewarding experience as opposed to play. Gags gets the Center duty instead of Arco once he returned, Yak getting 3rd line mins when Smyth for top 6 to start the season.. Jones getting top line tonight, Arco 3rd?

I dunno. Seems like he's not being very smart out there... go with what's working.

Draekke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 12:43 AM
AlowlyOilersfan
Comrade

vCash: 177
Thanks for the summary. It's always helpful when I'm too busy to watch the game.

AlowlyOilersfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 02:47 AM
goggog

LMHF, you should coach the Oilers. Seriously.

goggog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 11:28 AM
Aerchon

You looking for a scapegoat.

Eakins isn't it.

Things I don't like from Eakins.

He played Gagner 22 minutes? last night. Gagner is a defensive liability all too often at the best of times. Playing him that much when he is so obviously tentative is foolish.

The teams real problem is individuals not playing a team game.

Dub/Barb: losing games almost single handed.

Taylor Hall: Took a massive step back and was a turn over machine/defensive liability.

Justin Shultz: Took a massive step back and is a turn over machine/defensive liability.

Yakupov: Took a massive step back and is a turn over machine/defensive liability.

The rest of the team has played from below average to omfg so good.

I don't know what you can do when you goaltender and 3 out of 5 of your "best" players are by far your worst except get them to play through it.

Aerchon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 11:33 AM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerchon View Post
Nope. I wanted to find something that made it worth talking about that joke of a game. Eakins did and is doing enough strange things that it was worth addressing in this context.

Old
10-30-2013, 11:34 AM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Quote:
Originally Posted by goggog View Post
LMHF, you should coach the Oilers. Seriously.
I was democratically elected by HF to do just that at one point during MacTavish's reign of terror but sadly that result was not respected.

Old
10-30-2013, 11:52 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

LMHF

There was about 20 posters observing in GDT thread and another dozen in PGT that Eberle is regularly ignoring Yak although he ignored Sam often enough as well and was guilty of squandering open chances to distribute puck. Also that he was taking a lot of shots which weren't getting through anyway.

I agree the line doesn't work.

Agree that Sam shouldn't have been front center in his first reg season game back in several months against right now the most dangerous line in hockey (weird to say that about a Leafs line but...)

Eakins also stated pregame if it looked like Gagner was going he would get the RNH treatment referring to a 28minute first game back. From the same coach that states Hall should be able to play 27mins.

Just Nuts.

I been noting this stuff all season

Gagner did get 22mins on a horrible night and vast majority against Leafs topline.

Eakins must have experienced a really bad froshing initiation in highschool or something..

jk with that last bit.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 11:55 AM
Master Lok

Quote:

Eakins isn't it.
True that. After numerous coaching changes recently, but the same result - do people honestly expect another coach to make any difference here? Its the players.
Its the lineup. The kids aren't ready for first line duties and the list of injuries have really hurt.

Quote:
The teams real problem is individuals not playing a team game.

Taylor Hall: Took a massive step back and was a turn over machine/defensive liability.
Justin Shultz: Took a massive step back and is a turn over machine/defensive liability.
Yakupov: Took a massive step back and is a turn over machine/defensive liability.

The rest of the team has played from below average to omfg so good.

I don't know what you can do when you goaltender and 3 out of 5 of your "best" players are by far your worst except get them to play through it.
Agreed with you Aerchon that the Oilers young guns are not playing a team game. However Hall, Schultz and Yakupov didn't take a step back - they're just being exposed for what they are. They were the same last year (note Justin Schultz plus minus....) but were better hidden by a top five powerplay and penalty kill.

Master Lok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 12:19 PM
Neatman

Quote:

Eakins isn't it.
You cant be serious. Every single player looks to have regressed from last year, and you cant see that the problem may be the guy running the game plan for the team?

Another poster summarized much better in the Eakins thread, but frankly, he has been given a better roster than Krueger had, and has managed to completely ruin the team.

Eakins is hopeless right now, and while he may adapt to become a better NHL coach, the Oilers are looking at 1-2 bottom finishes just for him to figure it out.

Cant line match, cant run special teams, cant utilize players appropriately, cant adapt. CAN NOT COACH.

Neatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 12:45 PM
DeathbyCheerios

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neatman View Post
You cant be serious. Every single player looks to have regressed from last year, and you cant see that the problem may be the guy running the game plan for the team?

Another poster summarized much better in the Eakins thread, but frankly, he has been given a better roster than Krueger had, and has managed to completely ruin the team.

Eakins is hopeless right now, and while he may adapt to become a better NHL coach, the Oilers are looking at 1-2 bottom finishes just for him to figure it out.

Cant line match, cant run special teams, cant utilize players appropriately, cant adapt. CAN NOT COACH.
The defense is worse then last year with better players, we have the players for a legit top six yet they can't score, we should have a terrifying powerplay but we don't. Our goalies weaknesses are being exposed.

Last year our style of defense covered Dubnyks bad spots, we were out shot every game sure, but we were better at making those shots more on the outside and not guaranteed goals.

We need to stick people who work together, together.

Perron - RNH - Eberle
This line is skilled, RNH is turning into a great two way center, Perron gets in the dirty areas and him and Eberle seem to mesh.

Hall - Gagner - Hemsky/Yakupov
Hall has worked very well with both wingers and Gagner can set them up, this line would not take the top line minutes but would be set up for the big scoring opportunities. We need to trade one of Hemsky or Yakupov or put Yak in the ahl till he gets his groove back.

Joensuu - Arcobello - Pitlick
This line can be a checking line, take up the hard defending duties and grind in a few goals.

Gazdic - Arcobello - Eager
All three can skate, all three can finish checks, Gordon is great at holding on to the puck, Gazdic can mow people down and fight well, and Eager has some scoring ability. Putting Gordon this line gives them the ability to take bigger minutes and potentially put some points up.

????? - Petry
Petry has the tools to be a number two defender but needs that number one to work well with. Maybe nurse will become that.

Smid - Belov
Smid is heart and soul and Belov is starting to slowly show his mean side and has a killer shot from the point.

Ferrence - J Schultz
Justin right now isn't defensively sound enough to be any higher but would get big minutes on the powerplay. Ferrence has always had to work hard to play well so maybe that will rub off on Shultz

?????
Dubnyk/Bachman

We need a legit starter and I believe a backup position needs to be fought between these two.

DeathbyCheerios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 12:47 PM
ponokanocker

Thank you for the report. I have now stopped watching games until we get back to .500, so 2014-2015 , so your reports are nice to have..

Every coach that has been in here has had a very difficult time making this mess of a roster work. Eakins has been no different, but isn't adjusting/learning either. He had an elite PP from last year, and seems to have changed it for some reason. As the old saying goes, if it's not broken, don't fix it.

The players seem very confused as to what they are supposed to do out there. The ideas are not getting through to them, or they have already tuned out their coach. Both are scary.

I'm not sure how many coaching changes this group will get, but McT is technically the new guy, so hopefully if McT doesn't make some BOLD moves, him and Lowe are done. I'm not sure why Katz has the wool pulled over his eyes so bad, but it is sad.

Last edited by ponokanocker: 10-30-2013 at 12:57 PM.
ponokanocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 12:58 PM
Dabomb

LMHF, you put more effort into these post game threads than the Oilers do during their games. Question for you, do you ever consider giving up going to games and making these threads? i dunno how you do it, I can't even stand watching this club for a full game on TV, let alone suffer watching them live and then breaking down the game in depth.

Dabomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 03:19 PM
Tedi

vCash: 50
Quote:

This is wrong on so many levels. Eakins can coach and has coached teams to success. Things he can't do...backcheck, make saves, make bad turnovers (not the baked variety) and one very important one, put the ****ing puck in the net. Are we as a fanbase seriously going to pin this on yet another coach? Everything Oilers makes me ill right now. Thanks for the game report LMHF, I always enjoy reading them even when I don't agree.

Tedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 03:48 PM
YEGman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponokanocker View Post
Thank you for the report. I have now stopped watching games until we get back to .500, so 2014-2015 ....
An optimist I say!

YEGman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 04:01 PM
Aerchon

Quote:

No... YOU cant be serious. Joking.

I would disagree with you tho. While true Eakins had been given a better team you have to remember our previous coaches killed numerous promising NHL careers. Whitney, Vandermeer, Pecham, Belager, and Eager were all considered to good signings at the time.

I think Eakins has:

Made Eberle a better two way player.
Revitalized Hemsky.
Brought in Perron and got him doing well asap.
Brought in Joensuu and got him doing well.
Brought in Acton and Arco both are playing well.
Jones looks like he is playing much better.
Smyth looks much better this year.

Pretty much everyone looks as good or better besides.

Dub/Barb
Hall
Shultz
Yak

Which is more than enough to account for our teams suckage.

Those are the players that aren't buying in.

Aerchon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 04:47 PM
Giggli G

Kruger certainly did a lot more well with the team than Eakins has thus far.

I think we will see eventually that the sudden firing and replacement was a terrible idea.

Giggli G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 06:19 PM
shogun99

I wasn't a fan of Kruger, I thought he was too defensive minded for this team. Now i'm starting to realize that maybe that's what this team needs. I think Eakins is better suited to a team of veterans.

shogun99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2013, 12:35 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabomb View Post
LMHF, you put more effort into these post game threads than the Oilers do during their games. Question for you, do you ever consider giving up going to games and making these threads? i dunno how you do it, I can't even stand watching this club for a full game on TV, let alone suffer watching them live and then breaking down the game in depth.
I certainly think about it. I have a lot of other things I could spend the $2000+ on. I'm considering it a long term investment at the moment as getting back in would be difficult.

Old
11-01-2013, 12:59 PM
Master Lok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giggli G View Post
Kruger certainly did a lot more well with the team than Eakins has thus far.

I think we will see eventually that the sudden firing and replacement was a terrible idea.
I'm thinking that 14 games and an injured lineup is too soon to make an assessment, but clearly that hasn't stopped many people from doing so.

Master Lok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2013, 08:55 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

So, a nasty stomach bug has decided to take over and I'll be missing tonight's game. This means no reports until after the 22nd as I'm away on vacation starting next week. Bad timing I know!

Old
11-02-2013, 11:23 PM
goggog

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudmouthHemskyfan#1 View Post
So, a nasty stomach bug has decided to take over and I'll be missing tonight's game. This means no reports until after the 22nd as I'm away on vacation starting next week. Bad timing I know!
You could just be honest and tell us you have better things to do... We understand

goggog is offline   Reply With Quote