HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What is your breaking point as a fan?

View Poll Results: How much longer before you start questioning you allegiance to the Oilers
I bleed copper and Blue 124 41.61%
1 more year 10 3.36%
2 more years 10 3.36%
I am starting to follow another team aleady 31 10.40%
Cheering for the Flames already 18 6.04%
Looking at other options 37 12.42%
I am enjoying the fan meltdown after every lose 68 22.82%
Voters: 298. You may not vote on this poll

Old
10-30-2013, 10:39 AM
The Last Dynasty
Big #1 C

vCash: 500
I won't cheer for another team but I shut off the game after the 3rd goal last night
found better things to do

probably won't watch the Wings-Oilers game either...they're gonna lose that game and I can't/won't watch it

The Last Dynasty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 10:40 AM
OilerTyler
Fire Lowe

vCash: 50
I'm afraid that I don't have a breaking point

OilerTyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 10:43 AM
Neilio
Navi-X, Google it

I'm watching less games. I watched the third period of last nights game for some morbid reason. I'm pretty die hard, but this is affecting my moods.

So I play NHL14 instead.

Neilio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 10:45 AM
OilerTyler
Fire Lowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManByng View Post
not empty, but I have a feeling that if this **** show continues, the sell out streak may end when a less desirable team like Columbus comes to town. fans are pretty mad, like the guy on another board who ranted about working 15 hour days to pay for an expensive ticket to watch this crap....
Anyone who has gone to games near the end of the last two seasons knows that the sell out streak has ended already. There is always lots of empty seats by that point and I highly doubt they are all ticket owners that decided to waste their tickets by not going.

The Oilers probably buy all of the remaining tickets themselves or get another business to do it as part of a deal so that they can say they still sell out.

OilerTyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 10:47 AM
misfit

When I stop watching/cheering for the Oilers, it'll be the day I stop watching hockey completely.

10-30-2013, 10:50 AM
Fixed to Ruin
Come wit it now!

I've demoted myself from a Tier II fan to a Tier III fan.

Fixed to Ruin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 10:54 AM
Ol' Jase
PLAYOFFS??

I'm a complete and total glutton for the punishment that comes with being an Edmonton Oilers fan.

Thank you, Lowe, may I have another?

Ol' Jase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 11:02 AM
seguino

we need an expansion team. ship these guys and management to Quebec or Seattle.
Losing is one thing but sucking at the teat of failure year after year is life shortening.
keep selling out the building and nothing will happen.

seguino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 11:02 AM
Beerfish

The main frustration points for me are:

1) The top most people in charge of this team to me are thoroughly unlikeable. I don't like the way they do things. I don't trust them to do the right thing. I don't like their attitude. I don't like the image they have created for the team. I don't like the fact that they are totally intrenched in where they are and cannot be tossed.

2) The media (who are always a very important part of any big change in an organization.) are in most cases totally controlled by the team and don't have a journalistic bone in their bodies. They dismiss the common fan and yet their actions short and long term indicate they have a far worse grasp on reality and credibility than the 'common mouth breathing schlep who lives in his moms basement.'

The tier one and tier two fans of this organization should be given medals for sticking up with this disgrace of an organization. Pro sports teams bring up the term 'business decision' whenever they want to justify one of their unpopular actions however they never want the fans to react to a team in business terms.

Beerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 11:22 AM
Gord
MoneyGuy is smarter

vCash: 1255
Quote:
Originally Posted by bozwell View Post
Since the cup drive the oilers have been the worst team in the NHL and one of the worst pro teams on the planet. Since then, we have sucked and things are getting frustrating to say the least. I am not going to give you the stat, not going to waste your time with the list of coaches and bad players and GMS who could do nothing

Do you have a breaking point and is so what is it?
you needed an option for the breaking point happening prior to this season.

Gord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 11:28 AM
Matt19Oilers

I don't know that I necessarily have a breaking point. I've been an Oilers fan since I was about 9 (2001), and I'm 21 now, so I've only ever gotten to see a few first round playoff outs in the early 2000's and that miracle run in 2006. Despite all this mediocrity followed by complete tanking, I still can't stop watching. Every game night for the past few weeks, I expect the worst, but still find myself holding out hope that this team can just MAYBE start to get it right.

Turning my back on the Oilers would probably mean turning my back on hockey in general, and I couldn't stand to see myself as one of those "hockey fans" that only tunes in for the Olympics every 4 years.

So I'll keep watching indefinitely, BUT: this team needs a shake-up in the worst way. They are going to keep getting exposed until they get a "Pronger" on the back end, and if it takes Jordan Eberle to get that done, so be it. It doesn't have to be, and definitely won't be a Pronger caliber player, just someone that can log ~24 minutes, stabilize the D, and give Jeff Petry some ****ing help.

With all this said though, and I can't stress this enough: it IS just a game, and WE are the ones choosing to spend our time and money to follow it. Although we as fans deserve much better than we have been getting, and I understand the emotional investment in the team (I definitely have it), as a SPORT, it shouldn't be so important that it "ruins your life" or makes you go to bed angry after a loss.

Matt19Oilers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 11:54 AM
Hammer8

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
I'll never switch teams, but all this losing and me being in Phoenix lots has me cheering for the Coyotes as well (and the fact Doan's always been my favorite player)
I mirror that sentiment. I see the Oilers play more in Phx than here live. I do enjoy the fan meltdown after each game.

For me the breaking point of being a 25 year season ticket holder was the 06 lockout, the hypocritical way Oilers ownership ran the team, and the arrogance of Kevin Lowe.

I gave up my 4 golds as I won't send my heard earned bucks to this team as long as Kevin Lowe is running it. Lowe's statement of Tiering fans should be telling for Katz but apparently he can't hear through his hair.

Hammer8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 11:58 AM
No Good Names Left

Quote:
Originally Posted by thadd View Post
Oh you mean THAT breaking point? I've wanted K-Lowe out of Edmonton since that season that we had Nilson, Cogliano and Gagner playing in their rookie seasons.
Yup. A guy that has truly screwed up a franchise and gets promoted. He's up there with Mike Milbury and Matt Millen (Detroit Lions).

No Good Names Left is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 12:02 PM
CornKicker
Locked Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone View Post
It's really time to stop going to games. If we leave the building empty, that sends a pretty strong message.
this is actually it. I live in calgary and before the 04 cup run the saddledome was dead. literally a library sound. no one was going to games and no one cared about the team. there will always be die hards but the casual fan went the other way. im surprised it hasnt happened yet but it will start to show on HNIC when the building is half empty by the 2nd period.

CornKicker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 12:04 PM
Dabomb

As much as I hate to say this, but its time for this fanbase to make a stand and stop supporting the Oilers and going to games. The only way management will take things seriously is if it hits them in the pocketbook. Sadly though, this team will continue to sell out the building. Enough is enough already.

Dabomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 12:04 PM
Psychoil

i couldnt even ****ing sleep last night cus of this team, cant focus on school work after we lose, so im forced to lose interest

Psychoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 12:05 PM
Frank the Tank
The Oiler Tankers

I'm addicted to hockey and the Oilers are my only team so I will never stop caring; however, my effort level to rearrange my schedule to watch/record games (being an out of market fan) has reduced significantly over these seasons. Also, my embarrassment level of being an Oilers' fan has also increased significantly and try to avoid talking hockey anymore with Hawks' fans, who have popped out of the woodwork everywhere around these parts recently.

The thing that scares me is looking at the history of the Hawks where Bill Wirtz and Bob Pulford drove the franchise into the ground over there almost two decades of terror. It appears Katz and Lowe may be heading down that path.

Frank the Tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 12:14 PM
shoop

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Dynasty View Post
I won't cheer for another team but I shut off the game after the 3rd goal last night
found better things to do

probably won't watch the Wings-Oilers game either...they're gonna lose that game and I can't/won't watch it
Finding better things to do is the key. We are in the midst of one of the best World Series' of the past ten years. The NFL season is starting to get interesting. Don't think I would ever switch allegiance to another team. Just slowly going to fade away until this team is relevant again.

shoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 12:16 PM
Toydarian

I wish I could stop caring and just do something else.

However, I've made hockey and the Oilers too much of a hobby and become far too emotionally invested. It's starting to drive me insane.

Toydarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 12:21 PM
Bobblehead

I placed myself on waivers!

Bobblehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 12:22 PM
Slicknitty
"80,000 peoples"

I have the privilege of being a fan of one of the worst teams in NHL history. I don't even feel that bad because I have been conditioned to think that they will turn it around and bring the Cup back home, baby!

Realistically though, I'm not too pissed off. I'm just dazzled by how fragile the team is emotionally. One day they will connect all the dots. I keep saying to myself. One day.

The worst part is the trolls and haters on the main boards. Having to go there and see the ****heads pointing and laughing while the Oil struggles. What we get for having 3 first overall picks.

Slicknitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 12:26 PM
EberleHills90210

I really just regret buying NHL GameCentre after all the pre-season hype. Now I feel obligated to watch the games otherwise it will be a big waste of money I guess it is already a waste of money anyway..

EberleHills90210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 12:26 PM
Crobby

I have become comfortably numb

Crobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 12:29 PM
Hall2Nuge2Ebs

Well i don't even watch the games anymore. Maybe the odd Saturday night. I usually just check the box score on my phone after the game. So i still follow the team, i just don't waste countless hours watching them anymore and it actually feels really liberating because i get to do other things that actually contribute positively to my well-being. As for posting on here, i do it because i like to socialize with other fans and find out if they feel the same way as me about the team. It's also nice to see different opinions and healthy debate. So i guess you could say i'm at a semi breaking point as i don't watch most of the games and i don't buy any Oilers merchandise. Rant over.

Hall2Nuge2Ebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 12:29 PM
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight

The team blows and it certainly doesn't look like that will change in this millennium (only a slight exaggeration).

Still a fan though and that will continue going forward but certainly the level of "give a ****" is going down and even wins (the very few that they manage to muster up) don't have the same enjoyment level any more as you know it's just a temporary reprieve from the **** and crap that will once again shortly ensue.

nexttothemoon is offline   Reply With Quote