HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

10,000 Pt XXXIV: Year of Sarah Jessica Parker

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-30-2013, 01:25 AM
  #101
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus
 
The Nemesis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Langley, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 47,417
vCash: 500
California Raisins commercials? Ed McMahon Hiyo calls?


These are my people. I truely am home

also this:


__________________

"Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent."

Sorry, I am not taking signature requests at this time.
The Nemesis is offline  
Old
10-30-2013, 01:46 AM
  #102
slocal
Global Moderator
It stinks!
 
slocal's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Los Osos, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 8,356
vCash: 500
I call Michelangelo!! He likes pizza and is radical.

__________________

"there's nothing good about dubstep." - The Nemesis
slocal is offline  
Old
10-30-2013, 01:46 AM
  #103
CrazedZooChimp
Not enough guts
 
CrazedZooChimp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Bay Area, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 5,751
vCash: 1875
Send a message via AIM to CrazedZooChimp
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post

No, just from one house. Some other highlights of that particular year was an orange juice box (which sounds fine on the surface, but imagine drinking it after eating a mountain of candy...), an actual box of raisins, a dish towel, and a valentine's day card with 'Happy Halloween' written on it. I have no clue what got into my neighborhood that year.

Where in god's name do you get this ****?
What the hell? Was your neighborhood just screwing with you? I mean, I get the occasional box of raisins, but a dish towel and a Valentine's day card? This is the kind of stuff I feel like I'd get in a dorm when someone decided we needed to give each other treats...

Raisins do suck, though. I don't get why they're considered a substitute for chocolate chips in a cookie.

Also, it angers me that there are people here too young to know who the California Raisins are . God damn it, I'm not old...

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nemesis View Post
California Raisins commercials? Ed McMahon Hiyo calls?


These are my people. I truely am home

also this:

Wait for real? I'm pretty sure Michelangelo is more famous as a renaissance artist, and Raphael is not. I mean, everyone has heard of the Sistine Chapel and David, no one's heard of whatever Raphael did (I think I've even seen some of his stuff and can't recall what it was). Plus Raphael died at 37, and Michelangelo at 88! I expect better from XKCD...

CrazedZooChimp is offline  
Old
10-30-2013, 01:54 AM
  #104
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus
 
The Nemesis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Langley, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 47,417
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazedZooChimp View Post
What the hell? Was your neighborhood just screwing with you? I mean, I get the occasional box of raisins, but a dish towel and a Valentine's day card? This is the kind of stuff I feel like I'd get in a dorm when someone decided we needed to give each other treats...

Raisins do suck, though. I don't get why they're considered a substitute for chocolate chips in a cookie.

Also, it angers me that there are people here too young to know who the California Raisins are . God damn it, I'm not old...



Wait for real? I'm pretty sure Michelangelo is more famous as a renaissance artist, and Raphael is not. I mean, everyone has heard of the Sistine Chapel and David, no one's heard of whatever Raphael did (I think I've even seen some of his stuff and can't recall what it was). Plus Raphael died at 37, and Michelangelo at 88! I expect better from XKCD...

I doubt the pies are actually representative of any sort of rigorous data collection.

But with that said, if you ask anyone under the age of, let's say, 35 what's the first thing that comes to mind when you say the name Michelangelo, I would be willing to bet that the scales tip slightly in the favor of the Ninja Turtle. da Vinci is the only one of that group of 4 artists that really has maintained enough of a pop culture presence to really hold it over his turtle namesake. If I were to take issue with one and only one pie in that picture, it would be that I think the Leo one should be more heavily in favor of da Vinci. Secondarily would be Raphael skewing more towards being a TMNT. I think that Donatello's and Michaelangelo's are pretty reasonable estimations. The Turtles have had 25+ years of cartoons, movies, and comics to cement that.

Similarly, as the alt text on that xkcd comic notes, if you throw out the words bebop and rocksteady, who's going to remember that they were/are actual musical genres and not Shredder's bumbling henchmen?

The Nemesis is offline  
Old
10-30-2013, 02:04 AM
  #105
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks
 
TheJuxtaposer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: San Diego, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 26,388
vCash: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazedZooChimp View Post
What the hell? Was your neighborhood just screwing with you? I mean, I get the occasional box of raisins, but a dish towel and a Valentine's day card? This is the kind of stuff I feel like I'd get in a dorm when someone decided we needed to give each other treats...

Raisins do suck, though. I don't get why they're considered a substitute for chocolate chips in a cookie.

Also, it angers me that there are people here too young to know who the California Raisins are . God damn it, I'm not old...
I have no clue what the **** happened that year. Every other year was great. Maybe it was the year of the razor scares. Or maybe the local drug store ran out.

TheJuxtaposer is offline  
Old
10-30-2013, 02:20 AM
  #106
WTFetus
Moderator
Most popular
 
WTFetus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: San Francisco
Country: United States
Posts: 11,859
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by slocal View Post
I call Michelangelo!! He likes pizza and is radical.
Michelangelo and Raphael are hard-mode in Turtles in Time.
Gotta go easy-mode Donatello.

WTFetus is offline  
Old
10-30-2013, 02:21 AM
  #107
Graveland
HONE YOUR CRAFT
 
Graveland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Sunnyvale
Country: United States
Posts: 11,356
vCash: 50
My neighborhood growing up had full sized candy bars

Graveland is offline  
Old
10-30-2013, 02:22 AM
  #108
WTFetus
Moderator
Most popular
 
WTFetus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: San Francisco
Country: United States
Posts: 11,859
vCash: 500
Back in middle school, kids would go to Robin Williams' house and the houses around his.

WTFetus is offline  
Old
10-30-2013, 02:25 AM
  #109
slocal
Global Moderator
It stinks!
 
slocal's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Los Osos, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 8,356
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFetus View Post
Back in middle school, kids would go to Robin Williams' house and the houses around his.
Presidio?

slocal is offline  
Old
10-30-2013, 02:30 AM
  #110
WTFetus
Moderator
Most popular
 
WTFetus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: San Francisco
Country: United States
Posts: 11,859
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by slocal View Post
Presidio?
Yeah, the Seacliff area near there.

WTFetus is offline  
Old
10-30-2013, 02:32 AM
  #111
slocal
Global Moderator
It stinks!
 
slocal's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Los Osos, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 8,356
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFetus View Post
Yeah, the Seacliff area near there.
Nice. I always wondered what it would be like. You just know the butlers and gardeners do all the decorating outside

slocal is offline  
Old
10-30-2013, 02:50 AM
  #112
Graveland
HONE YOUR CRAFT
 
Graveland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Sunnyvale
Country: United States
Posts: 11,356
vCash: 50
A quest for Zelda or the candy?

Graveland is offline  
Old
10-30-2013, 11:47 AM
  #113
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go
 
LadyStanley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: North of the Tank
Country: United States
Posts: 55,964
vCash: 500
forestservice 9:26am via Twitter for iPhone We are pleased to announce @Schwarzenegger as our honorary #forestranger ...welcome to your new career! pic.twitter.com/ffuEE1I1I7






Life after being governator

LadyStanley is offline  
Old
10-30-2013, 12:21 PM
  #114
hockeyball
Registered User
 
hockeyball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 17,609
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by slocal View Post
Nice. I always wondered what it would be like. You just know the butlers and gardeners do all the decorating outside
I've met him. He's a super cool guy. Probably my favorite celebrity I have ever had an actual conversation with (I talked to him for about 15 minutes). The dude is constantly 'on', it must be exhausting. He wandered around the set making everyone laugh the whole time, and it wasn't even a funny movie.

hockeyball is offline  
Old
10-30-2013, 12:29 PM
  #115
WTFetus
Moderator
Most popular
 
WTFetus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: San Francisco
Country: United States
Posts: 11,859
vCash: 500
I've never met him, but based on his OoT commercials, he seems like a cool guy.

I also imagine Nathan Fillion as an awesome guy to talk to.

WTFetus is offline  
Old
10-30-2013, 12:31 PM
  #116
slocal
Global Moderator
It stinks!
 
slocal's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Los Osos, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 8,356
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
I've met him. He's a super cool guy. Probably my favorite celebrity I have ever had an actual conversation with (I talked to him for about 15 minutes). The dude is constantly 'on', it must be exhausting. He wandered around the set making everyone laugh the whole time, and it wasn't even a funny movie.
Finally, a good story about one of my favorite celebrities. I always wondered if he was the complete opposite in person (hoped he wasn't). That's pretty cool, hb.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFetus View Post
I've never met him, but based on his OoT commercials, he seems like a cool guy.

I also imagine Nathan Fillion as an awesome guy to talk to.
I would seriously like to converse with him. Huge Castle fan. Huge!

slocal is offline  
Old
10-30-2013, 12:33 PM
  #117
DrFeelgood
Chairman Meow
 
DrFeelgood's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Redwood City, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 18,439
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by slocal View Post
Finally, a good story about one of my favorite celebrities. I always wondered if he was the complete opposite in person (hoped he wasn't). That's pretty cool, hb.
If you haven't seen it, you should watch the Inside the Actors Studio episode with him, it's really good.

DrFeelgood is offline  
Old
10-30-2013, 12:37 PM
  #118
slocal
Global Moderator
It stinks!
 
slocal's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Los Osos, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 8,356
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFeelgood View Post
If you haven't seen it, you should watch the Inside the Actors Studio episode with him, it's really good.
Does he manage to get anything from Lipton? I might give it a shot.

slocal is offline  
Old
10-30-2013, 12:38 PM
  #119
WTFetus
Moderator
Most popular
 
WTFetus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: San Francisco
Country: United States
Posts: 11,859
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by slocal View Post
I would seriously like to converse with him. Huge Castle fan. Huge!
Bet you'd rather talk to Stana or Molly though.

WTFetus is offline  
Old
10-30-2013, 12:38 PM
  #120
hockeyball
Registered User
 
hockeyball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 17,609
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by slocal View Post
Finally, a good story about one of my favorite celebrities. I always wondered if he was the complete opposite in person (hoped he wasn't). That's pretty cool, hb.



I would seriously like to converse with him. Huge Castle fan. Huge!
Yah, keep in mind this was on a set, and I was about 14, but he came up to me all on his own and just started chatting with me about my bike (i had a bike on set with me) and my life and what not, nothing important. He seemed genuinely interested and very polite. Then my Dad wandered in and made an ass out of me and he took off asap. heh

hockeyball is offline  
Old
10-30-2013, 12:41 PM
  #121
slocal
Global Moderator
It stinks!
 
slocal's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Los Osos, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 8,356
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFetus View Post
Bet you'd rather talk to Stana or Molly though.
You know, I find neither of them attractive. Now Lanie...rwar

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
Yah, keep in mind this was on a set, and I was about 14, but he came up to me all on his own and just started chatting with me about my bike (i had a bike on set with me) and my life and what not, nothing important. He seemed genuinely interested and very polite. Then my Dad wandered in and made an ass out of me and he took off asap. heh
ROFL, was he trying to schmooze/network?

That's neat that he wasn't just putting on a show for a crowd. Must have made a huge impression on you as a kid. I mean, it's freaking Robin Williams!

slocal is offline  
Old
10-30-2013, 12:54 PM
  #122
hockeyball
Registered User
 
hockeyball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 17,609
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by slocal View Post
You know, I find neither of them attractive. Now Lanie...rwar



ROFL, was he trying to schmooze/network?

That's neat that he wasn't just putting on a show for a crowd. Must have made a huge impression on you as a kid. I mean, it's freaking Robin Williams!
yah kind of, he pretty much killed the conversation with a well placed "This is my little comedian" comment where I just looked at my feet and turned beat red. To his credit I think Robin felt for me and tried to be cool about it, but damage done. Love my Dad... but uhg.

hockeyball is offline  
Old
10-30-2013, 01:00 PM
  #123
slocal
Global Moderator
It stinks!
 
slocal's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Los Osos, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 8,356
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
yah kind of, he pretty much killed the conversation with a well placed "This is my little comedian" comment where I just looked at my feet and turned beat red. To his credit I think Robin felt for me and tried to be cool about it, but damage done. Love my Dad... but uhg.
Aww, heh. He was just proud of his little guy

slocal is offline  
Old
10-30-2013, 10:39 PM
  #124
KirbyDots
Registered User
 
KirbyDots's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Mountain View, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 4,889
vCash: 500


Nick Offerman in all his mustached glory, on Movember.

KirbyDots is offline  
Old
10-31-2013, 12:34 AM
  #125
Requin
Lurkedylurk
 
Requin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: North Carolina
Country: United States
Posts: 3,025
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nemesis View Post
I doubt the pies are actually representative of any sort of rigorous data collection.
Given that it's xkcd, I wouldn't be surprised if it was based on some kind of data. Some form of google hits, maybe?

Did I ever tell you about the time I hung out with the guy who writes xkcd? He's a really awesome guy; all that stuff you see in the comics is how he really is - walking down the up escalator, having a ball pit at his house, etc.


A propos of nothing - I started playing roller hockey! It's funny how the ice skills do and don't translate. For example, I can skate pretty fast, but I can not yet stop. Today I was going full speed with no brakes, smacked into a guy probably 70lbs heavier than me, and got epically laid out. Now it hurts to sit down.

Requin is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:11 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.