HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What is your breaking point as a fan?

View Poll Results: How much longer before you start questioning you allegiance to the Oilers
I bleed copper and Blue 124 41.61%
1 more year 10 3.36%
2 more years 10 3.36%
I am starting to follow another team aleady 31 10.40%
Cheering for the Flames already 18 6.04%
Looking at other options 37 12.42%
I am enjoying the fan meltdown after every lose 68 22.82%
Voters: 298. You may not vote on this poll

Old
10-30-2013, 12:34 PM
Sethis

vCash: 725
Honestly, it happened awhile ago and we're already well on our way to recovering from it. This team has a lot of means for hope, ladies and gentleman. I hit little spots of complacence with my sports teams, but that's only when they're going through the collapse and burn phase when there's no imminent hope in sight.

The second Bosh-less year for the Raptors, I realized there was problems with the team dynamic, with management and with the approach they were taking (ie. throwing **** at the wall in hoping one journeyman would turn things around). I distanced myself from the team, and basketball in general, during the lockout. Now, things are looking better. I turn away for a few years and I like the coach, GM, and identity, and they've loaded up on players I've always loved on other teams (like Kyle Lowry, Rudy Gay and Amir Johnson) and a couple kids that are looking okay (Terrence Ross, Jonas Valanciunas). I'm looking forward to watching them this season.

With my Steelers, I've been following football since 03 and have been absolutely spoiled by them. But bit by bit, that truly legendary team--one with an identity, cohesion, integrity, and legit characters among their stars--has fallen apart, moved on, etc. This year they're crashing. I've put some distance between them and myself for the next season or two, recognizing they have some decent enough young talent and just need some health and a couple home runs. I still have absolute faith in management and coaches, and Polamalu is the one guy that makes every game worth watching if I can stomach the rest of the team. Years down the line, it'll be him, Manning, and Peterson that I talk to my kids about from this era.

For the Oilers, the breaking point was a long time ago. My distance and complacence was at it's height in the 2 or 3 years before the Hall draft. Those were my distance, crash and burn years. And it started getting better when we drafted 4 and I could see a real future forming. We were on a high after the cup run because that team was like one year out of the 10 I've gotten to enjoy the Steelers: identity, talent, cohesion, integrity, and legit characters among their stars (prime era Smytty and Horc, young Hemmer, Stoll and Torres the banger twins, lovable Pisani, Gator my all-time favorite Oiler, crazy saviour Roloson, and of course the rake). But that was one year after 5 wandering following the dismantling of another team that was similarly constructed: the Smyth-Weight-Guerin years were when I was initiated as a fan. Wonderful teams to cheer for.

Now, I've always been most heavily invested in the Oilers out of all my teams and it's not even close. Watching them rise so far so quick, and having hopes that it would sustain the 5 years of Pronger's contract, only to see it devolve into that husk of a team with massive holes hurt. I, like everyone, wanted to burn everything and rebuild proper. We're doing that. So, as much as it hurts, I am enjoying the process. I want it faster, I want better coaching, I want quicker moves, but I'm not watching a team spin it's tires, I'm just watching a team that's really slow in picking up the pieces. MacT has done some good things. We're coming together though and we get to see the kids grow up. And as a 24-year-old, it's cool for me seeing the kids grow up pretty much in step with me. I relate to them. The talent is here, we need to become a team. We need integrity. We need cohesion. We need integrity. And we need the kids to turn into (and have Craig surround them with) legit characters.

The Steelers are like the Spurs or the Red Wings of football, consistently in the top 5 and well run. Art Rooney, their "Mike Illitch," has a wonderful quote about the process that sums up what we need to learn: "Winning is a habit. Unfortunately, so is losing." Once this team starts winning, it won't stop. And for the first time in years, I sincerely believe we're on the cusp. Most of our problems are mental. Just sit tight folks, it's a lot closer than you think.

Sorry about writing the essay.

Sethis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 12:36 PM
40oz

vCash: 500
I think at the end of the day you have to ask yourself why you're a fan.
As much as I hate to say it I'm not a fan because I like watching my team win, I'm an Oilers fan by blood. Not much I can do but suffer through it and get my fix of good hockey on another channel.

40oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 12:38 PM
Senor Catface

This really the first season I've really not cared if I miss games. I'm one of those fans that get a little too mad about watching loses, so I need to take a break. It still sucks when I see the score online, but it's not as sharp this way.

I'm a competitive guy, and like most fans I project myself as part of the team, if only as a neutral body that only watches. So when I see the team play badly and do badly, it bugs me. A lot.

I'm not done, and I'll never stop following the team, but I think for now I'll take a break from watching all of the games from start to end.

Senor Catface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 12:40 PM
tempest2i
Myxomatosis

I don't believe any of the people saying they're done or whatnot. If that were true, this board would be a much better place to be around.

Sure the team would still suck, but at least it wouldn't be filled with knee-jerk reactionary posts about trading for unobtainable players and firing management.

tempest2i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 12:41 PM
LoPan

vCash: 200
I'm still cheering and a fan but I no longer subscribe to the idea that any player on this team is untradable - RNH, Hall, Yak, Ebs, JSchultz, whoever. If they can be traded for something to turn this team around then I'm all on board. I've been cheering since I was a little kid in '79 and thought the 90s was the low point of Oilers but I guess I've been proven wrong, really, really wrong.

LoPan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 12:43 PM
0ilerman
The King

im getting close to quitting. i've already found i'm no longer apologizing for anything this team does. it's pathetic to watch, and i'd rather watch a high quality team in any other professional league

0ilerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 12:45 PM
alanschu

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit View Post
When I stop watching/cheering for the Oilers, it'll be the day I stop watching hockey completely.
Yup.

Supplementary: If the team is ever moved or folds would be mine.

alanschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 12:47 PM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

I won't have a breaking point. I stick by my teams through thick and thin, you can see they're knocking on the door. Other fans will always talk smack, thats what being a sports fan is all about. I try not to let it ruin my day.

At least my football (soccer) team is finally turning it around after toiling for a few years. Hopefully the Oilers will follow suit. I have no hope that the Blue Jays will ever be a decent team again.

Groucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 12:49 PM
bloggerfanthe*

Last night was my tipping point. Done with this crap team and organization.

bloggerfanthe* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 12:57 PM
jp7

vCash: 50
The lockout got me into the NFL, cheering for the Seahawks makes me give a **** less and less about how terrible the Oilers are doing. Going to follow the NLL more this season too. It's at the point where I still watch the games but beyond that my passion has dwindled.. don't really read too much analysis anymore or listen to any Oilers talkshows etc. It's just not worth the time expenditure when you know we're headed for a repeat of the last 5 years. Passively following the team basically, any emotional investment usually comes back to bite you in the ass

jp7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 12:58 PM
Beerfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by tempest2i View Post
I don't believe any of the people saying they're done or whatnot. If that were true, this board would be a much better place to be around.

Sure the team would still suck, but at least it wouldn't be filled with knee-jerk reactionary posts about trading for unobtainable players and firing management.
It would be great as the remaining people would all be the happy happy joy joy crowd that excuses terrible performance, forgets about years of crap with one win. Is laden with a list of excuses longer than the great wall of china.

It's so funny the joy joy club brings out knee jerk reactions when in fact they are far more guilty than negative people. this team has a long history of awful performances so a knee jerk reaction would be actually thinking they are any good after a couple wins not the other way around.

Beerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 12:59 PM
SupremeTeam16

Apparently Eberle and RNH were at the rack last night after the game.

For those who don't know, that's a bar here in Edmonton.

SupremeTeam16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 01:01 PM
bloggerfanthe*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupremeTeam16 View Post

bloggerfanthe* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 01:14 PM
SupremeTeam16

They really look upset about having their ***** handed to them by the leafs.

At the end of the day it's not about bringing in this guy or that guy or trading these guys for that guy. That is not going to do anything until we address the real root of the problem and that is the fact that the way this team does things is flawed.

It's starts with the management and trickles down the organization.

Old
10-30-2013, 01:16 PM
Sethis

Quote:

This is NOT an issue.

This was their second home game in the last ten (almost a month) and they don't play until Saturday.

Let them have some fun FFS.

Old
10-30-2013, 01:19 PM
The Last Dynasty
Big #1 C

who cares if they went to the Rack? should they sit in their rooms and not leave until Saturday as punishment?

The Last Dynasty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 01:21 PM
Frank the Tank
The Oiler Tankers

Quote:

I don't see the point you are trying to make with this statement. For comparison, I have seen Kane and Toews, among others, out at the clubs/bars here in Chicago after both wins and losses and they seem to be doing fine on the ice.

Frank the Tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 01:28 PM
Draekke

vCash: 50
It's now apparently a problem for the team to have any modicum of social life. Might as well not get paid the money they do. They should be locked up for losing.

For those of you who are upset by this fact:

Have you ever had a bad day and wanted to go hang with your friends to let off some steam? Seriously. It's not like they chose this instead of practice. They will practice as much with or without going to the Rack, or whatever pub/bar/club/boxsocial.

Draekke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 01:32 PM
SupremeTeam16

You know what is really fun? WINNING!!!

I'm not saying lock these kids up and never let them out but if you look at other situations of young players coming into the league they are generally paired with someone who has been in the league for a few years, they generally live with them and teach them how to be professionals.

Do you think guys like Crosby and Toews go out drinking after a brutal loss?

Old
10-30-2013, 01:34 PM
tempest2i
Myxomatosis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
It would be great as the remaining people would all be the happy happy joy joy crowd that excuses terrible performance, forgets about years of crap with one win. Is laden with a list of excuses longer than the great wall of china.

It's so funny the joy joy club brings out knee jerk reactions when in fact they are far more guilty than negative people. this team has a long history of awful performances so a knee jerk reaction would be actually thinking they are any good after a couple wins not the other way around.
But what's the point of being ultra negative ALL THE TIME.

I no longer get any enjoyment from being negative about everything. This team sucks, I completely understand that. If they're going to get better they need to identify the players they can win with, and bring in players to compliment the guys they already have.

It's not "Fire Lowe, trade Yakupov, bench J. Schultz" simple.

tempest2i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 01:42 PM
Sethis

Quote:
Do you think guys like Crosby and Toews go out drinking after a brutal loss?
Yes, I do.

In the case of Toews, I actually know it. I would love it if Toews drank after skating to a loss on our team.

Old
10-30-2013, 02:06 PM
oilforone

I've always been an Oiler first leaf second fan. At least one of them doesn't suck so much anymore.

oilforone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 02:10 PM
BoldNewLettuce
Esquire

vCash: 157
im almost onboard the sens bus, they got rid of alfie...now they just need to go -1 Spezza somehow.

BoldNewLettuce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 02:11 PM
Mr.Prez
Why not Zoidberg?

vCash: 129
Quote:

I'm starting to see Hall at the Y downtown in the mornings now. We were playing floor hockey at the time... should have invited him to play with us

Mr.Prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 02:23 PM
yukoner88

I'm an Oiler for life.....I can never cheer for another team like I do for the Oilers, when (yes I still hold hope) they finally have a successful season and get to the play offs, i dont care if they get swept in the first round, you'll be able to hear me from the north poll!!! I'm not a bandwaggoner, I've picked my team. I'm here for the good times, the bad times, and the down right ugly

yukoner88 is offline   Reply With Quote