HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The most difficult thing about being a Habs fan...

Old
12-14-2006, 02:32 AM
Masao

vCash: 500

I did some quick research and tried to find the best season each team in the NHL had since the 1994 lock-out.

It turns out, the Canadien's best season was last year, with 93 points. EVERY other team in the NHL except for Atlanta and Columbus, has had at least one better season. And Atlanta and Columbus didn't even play 10 years in the NHL yet.

I think this is truly quite frustrating... don't you guys agree? It seems no other team has had as many problems getting out of being average than the Habs of recent years.

Last edited by Masao: 07-22-2011 at 07:44 PM.
Masao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2006, 02:41 AM
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor

I don't care. We're winning now, and that's what counts.

12-14-2006, 02:47 AM
LesHabsRock

Quote:
Originally Posted by electronic beer View Post
I did some quick research and tried to find the best season each team in the NHL had since the 1994 lock-out.

It turns out, the Canadien's best season was last year, with 93 points. EVERY other team in the NHL except for Atlanta and Columbus, has had at least one better season. And Atlanta and Columbus didn't even play 10 years in the NHL yet.

I think this is truly quite frustrating... don't you guys agree? It seems no other team has had as many problems getting out of being average than the Habs of recent years.
What do you consider success of a team? Montreal has made the playoffs and won the first round on a few occasions over the last ten years. If you're guaging regular season points then I think there were many more teams than Atlanta and Columbus who faired worse over the past 10 years than Montreal.

LesHabsRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2006, 03:06 AM
Sthabs

The problem was that this team needed a complete rebuild.
But with the fans we have here, it was not an option. So all we did during that time was patchin the holes...and we ended up with almost a full team of patches exept 2-3 players....That s my opinion why it took that long...
Some people were ready to rebuild from scratch, but too many wouldnt, habs last in the ranking is a lack of respect.
Since around 2000 we having some good drafts and its starting to pay off now, along with the proper guys to lead this organisation now

Last edited by Sthabs: 12-14-2006 at 03:16 AM.
Sthabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2006, 03:37 AM
Masao

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesHabsRock View Post
What do you consider success of a team? Montreal has made the playoffs and won the first round on a few occasions over the last ten years. If you're guaging regular season points then I think there were many more teams than Atlanta and Columbus who faired worse over the past 10 years than Montreal.
I'm not talking about success. I'm talking about skill.

Masao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2006, 03:55 AM
Mr. Hab

Quote:
...is not to salivate too much at the thought of how good we are RIGHT NOW, and how good we should be in the near future. So...don't worry, be happy.

IMO, things got better when...Souray was acquired for Malakhov (in 2000).

And then it just snowballed from there... :

Ryder
Komisarek
Higgins

Perezhogin
Plekanec
Huet (Theo OUT, Huet IN, huuuuuuuuge for Habs, also financially)
Latendresse (he's the Power Forward we've needed since LeClair!)

----------------------- ------------------------------

And just wait for (what a future, I'm so excited) :

Kostitsyn (will soon get his chances, oozing of talent)
Lapierre (real winner)
Halak (best goalie NOT in NHL, 95% Save Percentage, only 21)
Chipchura (real leader, could be future captain, great career ahead of him)
O'Byrne
Price (could be great #1 goalie at 21-22... he's only 19, so have faith/patience)
Emelin
Grabovski
S. Kostitsyn
Ben Maxwell
Fischer

So much to be happy about. So much.

Go Habs Go

Last edited by Mr. Hab: 12-14-2006 at 04:03 AM.
Mr. Hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2006, 04:01 AM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

well, the team was stuck with bad management and mediocre draft positions for too long.

If you are going to stink, you might as well stink badly. Thats how the nords got sakic, forsberg, nolan, sundin, etc....

That's how Boston got Thornton and Samsonov

That's how tampa got lecavalier

That's how carolina got Staal and Johnson (who they traded)

Even the wings started somewhere when they selected Steve Yzerman

As for the expansion teams, they all built around high picks (FLA, SJ, Ottawa... the list goes on)

But if you're like the habs and you constantly finish the season in the lower middle pack of the standings, it results in a series of picks in the #10-15 slot. Granted, the habs didn't do a great job selecting their players in the middle of the first round either. But the point is, Its hard to get a franchise player unless you are in the top 5 in the draft selection. And its these types of players that turn the franchise around.

Thankfully, due to some astute managing and making the most of mid round picks recently, the team is on the road to respectability. But it just takes alot longer when you are constantly picking #10-15.

And the issue was further complexed thanks to the slumping loonie in the 90's and the molson family's unwillingness to keep pace with the skyrocketing salaries. So it was hard to attract UFAs as well. We finally might see a change of attitude with UFAs towards montreal now that the team is in a much better position to win.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2006, 04:07 AM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Quote:

Your data is not well analysed. You do not look at seasons in the playoffs, etc. Sure the Rangers also had a great year last season but when was the last time they made the playoffs before that? How about the Islanders? That is just to name two teams.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2006, 07:19 AM
!nkubus

Quote:

Hey don't forget don't count OT losses if you want a real comparison on points.

!nkubus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2006, 08:00 AM
RC51

The hardest thing about being a Habs fan for me is, just getting around my house. 24 cups in the living room takes up a ton of space.
Having to flick out of the way all those darn cup banners as I just want to get to my fridge to get a beer is hard.
Lastly, I have lost the car garage as it was turned into a shrine to the Rocket. But I have to say, getting the wife to scream out " cet le buttttttttttttttttttttttt" at the right time has been rather FUN

RC51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2006, 08:45 AM
Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by !nkubus View Post
Hey don't forget don't count OT losses if you want a real comparison on points.
Good point but small correction: it's the extra point for OT/SO wins that should not be counted. There always was 1 point per team for being tied after regulation.

Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote