HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

FA Signings, Trade Rumors and Proposals Thread VIII: "The makeup has to be jigged"

Closed Thread

Old
10-30-2013, 03:31 PM
Rebuild the Rebuild

vCash: 300
Minor deal. Jones for Grossman? Grossman has 33 hits in 11 games this year and would be a great 6th defenceman. He's hard to play against, and that's what we need.

Old
10-30-2013, 03:34 PM
Soundwave

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse Joensuu View Post
Minor deal. Jones for Grossman? Grossman has 33 hits in 11 games this year and would be a great 6th defenceman. He's hard to play against, and that's what we need.
Sign me up. We need to look at moving Hemsky soon too before he inevitably injures himself again.

Old
10-30-2013, 03:35 PM
Moose Coleman

Why would a team with 6 #6 D need another?

Old
10-30-2013, 03:36 PM
dyzfunctioned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
Personally I'm not really of the opinion of doing something completely crazy.

I'd do EDM 1st (2014) + Marincin for Adam Larsson provided the pick isn't Ekblad or another player you think will be an immediate stud.

I keep both Yakupov and Eberle, when Hemsky is gone you will need both.

I sign Jonas Hiller in the off-season as a UFA provided Anaheim is unwilling to deal him before.

I'd probably keep Bachman as a back up.

I'd look to add another player with size ala Jesse Joensuu.

Hall RNH Eberle
Perron Gagner Yakupov
Joensuu Gordon Big Forward
Big Forward Acton Pitlick
Arcobello

Smid Petry
Ference J. Schultz
Larsson Nurse
Klefbom

Hiller
Bachman

Out: Smyth, Dubnyk, Hemsky, Jones, N. Schultz, Grebeshkov, Belov, Lolbarbera
I'm not against most/any of this, but don't see why NJD does this. They already have Gelinas, Merrill, etc. so Marincin is redundant and don't see why they'd move Larsson for our 1st when they're trying to get out of the bottom of the standings, have no 1st rounder, and Larsson is one of their only puck movers.

Old
10-30-2013, 03:37 PM
Rebuild the Rebuild

Quote:

I'd do EDM 1st (2014) + Marincin for Adam Larsson provided the pick isn't Ekblad or another player you think will be an immediate stud.

I sign Jonas Hiller in the off-season as a UFA provided Anaheim is unwilling to deal him before.

Hall RNH Eberle
Perron Gagner Yakupov
Arcobello

Smid Petry
Ference J. Schultz
Larsson Nurse
Klefbom

Hiller
Bachman

Why wouldn't we want Gazdic back? Also Arcobello wouldn't be bad on the 3rd line wing. brings offense, and has more hits than any Oilers forward.

Old
10-30-2013, 03:38 PM
Soundwave

Quote:
Why wouldn't we want Gazdic back? Also Arcobello wouldn't be bad on the 3rd line wing. brings offense, and has more hits than any Oilers forward.
I'm not against bringing Gazdic back, but perhaps we can do better at that spot. I'm not seeing enough retribution being dished out for hits against RNH, Eberle, Hall, etc.

Old
10-30-2013, 03:38 PM
Moose Coleman

Quote:
Why wouldn't we want Gazdic back?
Because he's garbage and doesn't even do the one thing he's supposed to do?

Old
10-30-2013, 03:39 PM
Rebuild the Rebuild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Coleman View Post
Why would a team with 6 #6 D need another?
Its a matter of quality. Grossman brings what the others don't.

Old
10-30-2013, 03:40 PM
Moose Coleman

Quote:
We don't need more bottom pairing guys. We need a guy who can push some of our current D down to where they should be playing.

Old
10-30-2013, 03:41 PM
FireMacT

Quote:
Philly doesn't do this wtf

Old
10-30-2013, 03:51 PM
LaymanX

Quote:

Hall RNH Eberle
Perron Gagner Yakupov
Arcobello

Smid Petry
Ference J. Schultz
Larsson Nurse
Klefbom

Hiller
Bachman

Not sure if someone like Larsson is who EDM needs. They need a strong, gritty defender to make life miserable for the opposing forwards. Larsson has 0 pts, -4 through 9 games.

Old
10-30-2013, 03:53 PM
Soundwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaymanX View Post
Not sure if someone like Larsson is who EDM needs. They need a strong, gritty defender to make life miserable for the opposing forwards. Larsson has 0 pts, -4 through 9 games.
We need to start taking some chances on d-men I think.

No established stud d-man is going to come here. Most have NTCs, why would they waive to come play for a bottom rung team in a non-glamour market?

The sheen of playing with our "young guns" is losing its luster too as we haven't done anything in terms of winning.

Old
10-30-2013, 03:53 PM
Rebuild the Rebuild

Quote:
We don't need more bottom pairing guys. We need a guy who can push some of our current D down to where they should be playing.
We'd still have to move guys out if we're gonna bring in top end guys. I don't see the harm in bringing in Grossman for Jones considering we don't have a spot for Jones.

Belov(Should be 2nd-3rd pairing) - J Schultz (Our only top pairing defenceman)
Ference(Decent 2nd pairing) - N Schultz (3rd Pairing defenceman)
Smid(Should be 3rd pairing, decent 2nd pairing) - Petry (2-3 pairing)

What it should be

_________ - J Schultz
Ference - _________
Belov-Grossman
N Schultz

Move Smid + for top pairing guy. Coburn, Martin? Moving Petry wouldn't be bad either. Maybe Petry + for (I know I'll get ripped for this) Wideman 25 retained???

Old
10-30-2013, 04:05 PM
Moose Coleman

Quote:
We'd still have to move guys out if we're gonna bring in top end guys. I don't see the harm in bringing in Grossman for Jones considering we don't have a spot for Jones.
And why would anyone tarde for a guy they could have picked up for free when he was on waivers (and who will likely be on waivers again)?

Quote:
Belov(Should be 2nd-3rd pairing) - J Schultz (Our only top pairing defenceman)
Ference(Decent 2nd pairing) - N Schultz (3rd Pairing defenceman)
Smid(Should be 3rd pairing, decent 2nd pairing) - Petry (2-3 pairing)

What it should be

_________ - J Schultz
Ference - _________
Belov-Grossman
N Schultz

Move Smid + for top pairing guy. Coburn, Martin? Moving Petry wouldn't be bad either. Maybe Petry + for (I know I'll get ripped for this) Wideman 25 retained???
Petry is the only thing resembling a top pairing D we currently have. Smid and Belov are acceptable second pair guys. Ference and Young Schultz are 5-6 guys, Old Schultz is just done as an NHLer.

Guys like Coburn aren't the answer either; he's not a real top pairing guy. I just don't think the guy we need is available right now.

Old
10-30-2013, 04:05 PM
Tedi

vCash: 50
Quote:
I'm not against bringing Gazdic back, but perhaps we can do better at that spot. I'm not seeing enough retribution being dished out for hits against RNH, Eberle, Hall, etc.
He is not the problem with this team. Orr didn't want any part of him last night and for good reason. IMO the 4th line is doing precisely what they are supposed to do with their limited time on the ice. This myth about retribution doesn't exist anymore, the best way to make a team pay is to beat them on the scoreboard. The moment we start to take control of games is the moment Gazdic's fight card starts to fill up. I actually like the fact that Gazdic is playing his role with some class and does show some skill towards actual hockey. Gazdic is a perfect fit for this club IMO.

Old
10-30-2013, 04:09 PM
Moose Coleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedi View Post
He is not the problem with this team. Orr didn't want any part of him last night and for good reason. IMO the 4th line is doing precisely what they are supposed to do with their limited time on the ice. This myth about retribution doesn't exist anymore, the best way to make a team pay is to beat them on the scoreboard. The moment we start to take control of games is the moment Gazdic's fight card starts to fill up. I actually like the fact that Gazdic is playing his role with some class and does show some skill towards actual hockey. Gazdic is a perfect fit for this club IMO.
If Gazdic isn't going to grab Franson and lay a beating on him at the first opportunity, he's not doing his one job and is therefore useless.

Old
10-30-2013, 04:11 PM
ExOilerFan

1. Draft Ekblad
2. Trade J.Schultz + Yak/Eberle for top pairing dman

D Corps:

Top pairing dman/Nurse
Smid/Petry
Ference/Ekblad

So you have 2 future studs on the blueline not to mention Marincin and Klefbom who could make the team next year.

Old
10-30-2013, 04:13 PM
Valic
BOOOOOOOOOO

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireMacT View Post
Philly doesn't do this wtf
Didnt Friedman say last 30 questions that Philly would love to get rid of Grossman or Mezaros but noone will take them at their high cost and diminishing play?

Old
10-30-2013, 04:15 PM
CornKicker
Still burning Lowood

vCash: 694
Quote:
should have just signed fristic then

Old
10-30-2013, 04:17 PM
Soundwave

We made a really stupid mistake in letting Lowe hire his best bud rather than hiring Burke. Not that Mac T is bad, but we don't have time to screw around while our rookie GM and coaching staff try to find their way.

The Leafs don't have a stud d-man per se and aren't the biggest team either and are no.1 in the East ... there's no reason he couldn't have built something similar here.

This guy knows how to build at bare minimum a competitive squad.

Old
10-30-2013, 04:20 PM
LaymanX

Quote:
We need to start taking some chances on d-men I think.

No established stud d-man is going to come here. Most have NTCs, why would they waive to come play for a bottom rung team in a non-glamour market?

The sheen of playing with our "young guns" is losing its luster too as we haven't done anything in terms of winning.
Honestly, someone like Mark Fraser who plays boring, gritty hockey would do wonders and could be had for cheap. Someone who can fight, win the battles on the boards, get the puck out of their zone safely, block shots, hit, etc etc.

No need to deal any of the Big 4 either.

Old
10-30-2013, 04:21 PM
Tedi

Quote:
If Gazdic isn't going to grab Franson and lay a beating on him at the first opportunity, he's not doing his one job and is therefore useless.
How did that work out for Bertuzzi? Eye for an eye justice doesn't play in the new NHL.

Old
10-30-2013, 04:22 PM
Moose Coleman

Quote:
We made a really stupid mistake in letting Lowe hire his best bud rather than hiring Burke.

The Leafs don't have a stud d-man per se and aren't the biggest team either and are no.1 in the East ... I think he could've worked wonders with this roster.

I don't disagree with your assessment of Burke, but MacT's additions haven't been the problem. I don't think BB would have been able to do much more to dig the team out.

Old
10-30-2013, 04:22 PM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

Quote:
We made a really stupid mistake in letting Lowe hire his best bud rather than hiring Burke. Not that Mac T is bad, but we don't have time to screw around while our rookie GM and coaching staff try to find their way.

The Leafs don't have a stud d-man per se and aren't the biggest team either and are no.1 in the East ... there's no reason he couldn't have built something similar here.

The only mistake we made was choosing to affiliate ourselves with such a pathetically ran, elitist organization. Nothing will change under Katz because of his aggressive hard-on and pathetic effort to nuzzle his way into the 1980s glory dayz by keeping Kevin Lowe as his puppy until the end of time.

And anybody who says Burke couldn't pull this team out from the *******, don't waste your time. There's a reason the Leafs are where they are now, Vancouver, Anaheim, it's a pretty simple pattern - and Calgary will soon be above us too.

Old
10-30-2013, 04:24 PM
Moose Coleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedi View Post
How did that work out for Bertuzzi? Eye for an eye justice doesn't play in the new NHL.
So what's the point of employing a guy who can't play if he'll only fight other plugs while other guys take run at our stars? That was the only reason they signed him for chrissakes!

Closed Thread