HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Acq/ Rost. Bldg./ Cap Part XXIV

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-30-2013, 01:41 PM
  #676
sycamore
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 1,672
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfernalDark View Post
"Alex Ovechkin is listed as day-to-day with an upper-body injury." -RMNB
I can't remember the last time he was injured -- has he ever been injured since becoming a Capital? We've been freakishly lucky in this regard.

sycamore is offline  
Old
10-30-2013, 01:59 PM
  #677
Mr Gone
Green = Man of Glass
 
Mr Gone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,531
vCash: 500
The bottom of the OV story on CBS Sports says.

"In other Caps news, they also made a couple of call ups from AHL Hershey, bringing up Michael Latta and defenseman Dmitry Orlov."

http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/eye-on-...o-day-for-caps

Mr Gone is online now  
Old
10-30-2013, 02:04 PM
  #678
Raikkonen
In GMBT we trust
 
Raikkonen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Russia
Posts: 3,296
vCash: 500
Orlov instead of Schmidt then? Or pressbox? Would be very cruel.

Raikkonen is offline  
Old
10-30-2013, 02:09 PM
  #679
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 8,146
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raikkonen View Post
Orlov instead of Schmidt then? Or pressbox? Would be very cruel.
Watching other players suck has been great for Wilson's development. Why wouldn't you want to help Orlov's?

Liberati0n* is offline  
Old
10-30-2013, 02:16 PM
  #680
Raikkonen
In GMBT we trust
 
Raikkonen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Russia
Posts: 3,296
vCash: 500
I see the pairs were

Schmidt - Green
Carlzner

Urbom/Orlov - Oleksy

Raikkonen is offline  
Old
10-30-2013, 04:03 PM
  #681
RandyHolt
Capitals Station
 
RandyHolt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Country: Poland
Posts: 24,690
vCash: 1300
Orlov called up, and Erat on our top line...

Hurry, someone take Oatsies temperature.

I am expecting Orlov to be scratched, however. Preparing for the worst but Schmidt can sit. Yes Wilson crew, and learn from the pressbox.

He has done little to warrant uncontested 1LD time. With our lame duck young D, we would be wise to try all Hershey has to offer. Even Schilling.

RandyHolt is offline  
Old
10-30-2013, 04:25 PM
  #682
SimplySensational
Heard of Hough
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: VA
Country: United States
Posts: 17,525
vCash: 500
The more Holtby talks to the media, the more it becomes clear he's as annoying as Brooks Laich.

SimplySensational is online now  
Old
10-30-2013, 04:38 PM
  #683
Brian23
Registered User
 
Brian23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 2,032
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySensational View Post
The more Holtby talks to the media, the more it becomes clear he's as annoying as Brooks Laich.
At least he can back it up from time to time.

Brian23 is offline  
Old
10-30-2013, 04:52 PM
  #684
Langway
Moderator
Intangibles
 
Langway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 21,098
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySensational View Post
The more Holtby talks to the media, the more it becomes clear he's as annoying as Brooks Laich.
Someone has to call out the players in front of him. The coaching staff seems pretty clueless and unlikely to change things so it might as well be him. Laich does nothing but posture whereas I think Holtby actually believes the words coming out of his mouth.

They need real leadership in the worst way. On-ice leadership would be a bonus but even a Knuble type would help. Not sure any of the vets bring that these days.


Last edited by Langway: 10-30-2013 at 04:57 PM.
Langway is offline  
Old
10-30-2013, 04:59 PM
  #685
IafrateOvie34
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 3,275
vCash: 500
Well here is to hoping Orlov gets his chance. I hope he throws a bunch of hip checks and scores a goal.

IafrateOvie34 is offline  
Old
10-30-2013, 05:13 PM
  #686
Hivemind
We're Touched
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 14,220
vCash: 500
I'm really curious to what the coaching staff is seeing during the game and in video to make them continue to trust Schmidt, and now Orlov, more than Urbom.

Hivemind is offline  
Old
10-30-2013, 05:22 PM
  #687
marcel snapshot
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 1,034
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySensational View Post
The more Holtby talks to the media, the more it becomes clear he's as annoying as Brooks Laich.
So this is what Holtby is quoted as saying:

"I don't know exactly what it is, and who knows what preparation means in here, but it's the fact that we're not coming out hard enough to play," Holtby said. "We're not wanting to get the lead, we're not hungry enough to get that first one and keep pushing. We're kind of sitting back waiting for a hockey game [to come] to us and you don't win many games doing that."

"The preparation at the start of last year is the same as it was here," Holtby said, referring to Washington's 2-8-1 record through its first 11 games last season. "In my mindset, two hours before puck drop, that's when it's business time and focus. You see too much of guys joking around and listening to music and just looking really loose, like it's a practice. We're paid to prepare, [not to] have a dance party before the game.

"I don't know what it is, but yeah, you go back to Winnipeg last year, it's a changed team. It started in the dressing room and we have to get back to that. ... Maybe we need a little bit of a wake-up call to get back to where we were last year at the end."

http://www.nbcwashington.com/blogs/c...-Question.html

Every single bit of this is absolutely spot on. For year, this team's mental make-up has been too soft and unfocused, though Hunter was able to mask it during his short stint (and appears to have triggered a stealth mutiny in doing so).

You have a sloppy, loosey-goosey, insufficiently intense attitude - chances are good you'll play sloppy, loosey-goosey, insufficiently intense hockey. And that's what we're seeing from this team.

It's just a shame that it takes a kid goalie to call this out - why the fug isn't McPhee or Ted or Oates or any of the team leadership or "core" calling out the team's crap mindset and lack of intensity and commitment. To ask the question is almost to answer it. They're either nurturing it or enjoying it.

marcel snapshot is offline  
Old
10-30-2013, 05:30 PM
  #688
Burakovsky95
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Maryland, USA
Country: United States
Posts: 3,392
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystlyfe View Post
I'm really curious to what the coaching staff is seeing during the game and in video to make them continue to trust Schmidt, and now Orlov, more than Urbom.
I will never understand the love affair for Oleksy either.

Burakovsky95 is online now  
Old
10-30-2013, 05:32 PM
  #689
Hivemind
We're Touched
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 14,220
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsGoCaps19 View Post
I will never understand the love affair for Oleksy either.
That one's much easier for me to understand. While he's looked pretty darn bad the past few games, he's had stretches both this year and last where he's played incredibly well. His offensive zone instincts generally seem spot on. If anything, the problem might be that he's overconfident right now. His great play might have gone to his head a bit, as he doesn't seem to be playing within his limits quite as much as he used to, and it's costing him against better forwards.

Hivemind is offline  
Old
10-30-2013, 05:45 PM
  #690
Burakovsky95
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Maryland, USA
Country: United States
Posts: 3,392
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystlyfe View Post
That one's much easier for me to understand. While he's looked pretty darn bad the past few games, he's had stretches both this year and last where he's played incredibly well. His offensive zone instincts generally seem spot on. If anything, the problem might be that he's overconfident right now. His great play might have gone to his head a bit, as he doesn't seem to be playing within his limits quite as much as he used to, and it's costing him against better forwards.
I just cant buy into him. I can see him as a 7th-8th dman or an AHL depth guy but on a good team he shouldn't be in a top 6. This is completely only my opinion though.

Burakovsky95 is online now  
Old
10-30-2013, 05:51 PM
  #691
SimplySensational
Heard of Hough
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: VA
Country: United States
Posts: 17,525
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
Someone has to call out the players in front of him. The coaching staff seems pretty clueless and unlikely to change things so it might as well be him. Laich does nothing but posture whereas I think Holtby actually believes the words coming out of his mouth.

They need real leadership in the worst way. On-ice leadership would be a bonus but even a Knuble type would help. Not sure any of the vets bring that these days.
You act like its the first time Holtby has done this, he's done it and promptly sucked the next game.

SimplySensational is online now  
Old
10-30-2013, 05:59 PM
  #692
Hivemind
We're Touched
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 14,220
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsGoCaps19 View Post
I just cant buy into him. I can see him as a 7th-8th dman or an AHL depth guy but on a good team he shouldn't be in a top 6. This is completely only my opinion though.
The other aspect is the lack of a clear replacement. Unlike LHD, where we have an abundance of young players competing for time, RHD has more question marks in the AHL.
Kundratek isn't any better in the defensive zone than Oleksy, and Oleksy's increasing offensive confidence reduces Kundratek's appeal there as well. Kundratek's biggest advantage, his powerplay ability, is negated by a lack of an available PP spot.
Strachan has Oleksy's size and even better reach in the defensive zone, but isn't any more mobile and isn't as good in the offensive zone. Having a more defensively oriented RHD might change up the look of the defense a bit, but I'd be hard pressed to say that Strachan is an upgrade over Oleksy.
Carrick clearly needs more size before he can be an NHL regular, and that was abundantly clear during his cup of coffee at the beginning of the year. Maybe in a season or two he can challenge for the 3RD spot permanently.
Genoway simply isn't an NHL player, as much as I like him from his NCAA days.
Wey is in Reading, and looked like he couldn't really hang with the pace of the NHL game during the pre-season.
Flemming is a smaller version of Wey, now in his 3rd ECHL season.

Unless Oates is willing to try Orlov at RD, it's not likely that we see a much better alternative than Oleksy from inside the organization.

Hivemind is offline  
Old
10-30-2013, 06:02 PM
  #693
Langway
Moderator
Intangibles
 
Langway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 21,098
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySensational View Post
You act like its the first time Holtby has done this, he's done it and promptly sucked the next game.
Everybody sucks sometime.

Now that's a setup...

Langway is offline  
Old
10-30-2013, 06:02 PM
  #694
marcel snapshot
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 1,034
vCash: 500
I think intensity can be coached: look at the attitude adjustment that Roy has brought to Colorado, a team whose back-up goalie called out the players just last spring for thinking more about their Vegas trip than hockey. Look how Hunter brought defensive intensity to the Caps by basically making clear that playing time would be cut if you didn't show it. During his coaching shelf life with the Rangers, Tortorella significantly upped the intensity with which not-very-talented (except for the goalie) Rangers teams played.

Converesely, if there aren't significant consequences for being lackadaisacal, well then you should expect lax play.

marcel snapshot is offline  
Old
10-30-2013, 06:03 PM
  #695
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles
 
BrooklynCapsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Brooklyn, New York
Posts: 15,030
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySensational View Post
You act like its the first time Holtby has done this, he's done it and promptly sucked the next game.
Best to follow the Neuvirth route. Suck AND don't call out the team.

BrooklynCapsFan is offline  
Old
10-30-2013, 06:09 PM
  #696
g00n
abides
 
g00n's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 4,930
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySensational View Post
You act like its the first time Holtby has done this, he's done it and promptly sucked the next game.
You like Nervy. We get it.

g00n is offline  
Old
10-30-2013, 06:12 PM
  #697
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 8,146
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySensational View Post
The more Holtby talks to the media, the more it becomes clear he's as annoying as Brooks Laich.
They are polar opposites. Of course you can't tell the difference.

Liberati0n* is offline  
Old
10-30-2013, 06:16 PM
  #698
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 8,146
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcel snapshot View Post
So this is what Holtby is quoted as saying:

"I don't know exactly what it is, and who knows what preparation means in here, but it's the fact that we're not coming out hard enough to play," Holtby said. "We're not wanting to get the lead, we're not hungry enough to get that first one and keep pushing. We're kind of sitting back waiting for a hockey game [to come] to us and you don't win many games doing that."

"The preparation at the start of last year is the same as it was here," Holtby said, referring to Washington's 2-8-1 record through its first 11 games last season. "In my mindset, two hours before puck drop, that's when it's business time and focus. You see too much of guys joking around and listening to music and just looking really loose, like it's a practice. We're paid to prepare, [not to] have a dance party before the game.

"I don't know what it is, but yeah, you go back to Winnipeg last year, it's a changed team. It started in the dressing room and we have to get back to that. ... Maybe we need a little bit of a wake-up call to get back to where we were last year at the end."

http://www.nbcwashington.com/blogs/c...-Question.html
Someone actually read those quotes and thought, "Hey, this sounds just like Brooks Laich."

Liberati0n* is offline  
Old
10-30-2013, 07:11 PM
  #699
Langway
Moderator
Intangibles
 
Langway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 21,098
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcel snapshot View Post
I think intensity can be coached: look at the attitude adjustment that Roy has brought to Colorado, a team whose back-up goalie called out the players just last spring for thinking more about their Vegas trip than hockey. Look how Hunter brought defensive intensity to the Caps by basically making clear that playing time would be cut if you didn't show it. During his coaching shelf life with the Rangers, Tortorella significantly upped the intensity with which not-very-talented (except for the goalie) Rangers teams played.

Converesely, if there aren't significant consequences for being lackadaisacal, well then you should expect lax play.
Completely agree. This is the single most concerning thing about Oates and the rest of the coaching staff. Oates seems to believe it isn't the responsibility of the coaching staff to motivate or bring about high level system execution (outside of Forsythe's PP work).

It's not hard to draw a line from putting things on everyone being prepared as individuals to there being an almost complete lack of a team identity. Team building and cohesion are large responsibilities for a coaching staff to bring about and I haven't really heard those concepts from the coaching staff. (I would think if they're truely important facets of the game then it would be part of their rote explanations.) Holtby's comments are somewhat misguided but he is on to something. Preparation itself is a huge part of why this team is crap.

Langway is offline  
Old
10-30-2013, 07:27 PM
  #700
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor
 
CapitalsCupFantasy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 28,090
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
Someone has to call out the players in front of him. The coaching staff seems pretty clueless and unlikely to change things so it might as well be him. Laich does nothing but posture whereas I think Holtby actually believes the words coming out of his mouth.

They need real leadership in the worst way. On-ice leadership would be a bonus but even a Knuble type would help. Not sure any of the vets bring that these days.
I'd prefer my goalie back up his words on the ice. Talking a big game is nice and all, but results speak louder. Last time he called them out in the playoffs, then laid an egg in goal the next night out....

They DO need leadership in the worst way, not just the lip service we hear from multiple players.


BTW as for the content of his comments, spot on. Inmates running the asylum. I remember when Boudreau used to take all the heat for that atmosphere. Clearly its an organizational issue.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:31 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.