HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Acq/ Rost. Bldg./ Cap Part XXIV

Closed Thread

Old
10-30-2013, 01:41 PM
sycamore

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfernalDark View Post
"Alex Ovechkin is listed as day-to-day with an upper-body injury." -RMNB
I can't remember the last time he was injured -- has he ever been injured since becoming a Capital? We've been freakishly lucky in this regard.

Old
10-30-2013, 01:59 PM
Mr Gone
Green = Man of Glass

The bottom of the OV story on CBS Sports says.

"In other Caps news, they also made a couple of call ups from AHL Hershey, bringing up Michael Latta and defenseman Dmitry Orlov."

http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/eye-on-...o-day-for-caps

Old
10-30-2013, 02:04 PM
Raikkonen
In GMBT we trust

Orlov instead of Schmidt then? Or pressbox? Would be very cruel.

Old
10-30-2013, 02:09 PM
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raikkonen View Post
Orlov instead of Schmidt then? Or pressbox? Would be very cruel.
Watching other players suck has been great for Wilson's development. Why wouldn't you want to help Orlov's?

Old
10-30-2013, 02:16 PM
Raikkonen
In GMBT we trust

I see the pairs were

Schmidt - Green
Carlzner

Urbom/Orlov - Oleksy

Old
10-30-2013, 04:03 PM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

vCash: 1300
Orlov called up, and Erat on our top line...

Hurry, someone take Oatsies temperature.

I am expecting Orlov to be scratched, however. Preparing for the worst but Schmidt can sit. Yes Wilson crew, and learn from the pressbox.

He has done little to warrant uncontested 1LD time. With our lame duck young D, we would be wise to try all Hershey has to offer. Even Schilling.

Old
10-30-2013, 04:25 PM
SimplySensational
Heard of Hough

The more Holtby talks to the media, the more it becomes clear he's as annoying as Brooks Laich.

Old
10-30-2013, 04:38 PM
Brian23

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySensational View Post
The more Holtby talks to the media, the more it becomes clear he's as annoying as Brooks Laich.
At least he can back it up from time to time.

Old
10-30-2013, 04:52 PM
Langway
Intangibles

Quote:
Someone has to call out the players in front of him. The coaching staff seems pretty clueless and unlikely to change things so it might as well be him. Laich does nothing but posture whereas I think Holtby actually believes the words coming out of his mouth.

They need real leadership in the worst way. On-ice leadership would be a bonus but even a Knuble type would help. Not sure any of the vets bring that these days.

Last edited by Langway: 10-30-2013 at 04:57 PM.
Old
10-30-2013, 04:59 PM
IafrateOvie34

Well here is to hoping Orlov gets his chance. I hope he throws a bunch of hip checks and scores a goal.

Old
10-30-2013, 05:13 PM
Hivemind
We're Touched

I'm really curious to what the coaching staff is seeing during the game and in video to make them continue to trust Schmidt, and now Orlov, more than Urbom.

Old
10-30-2013, 05:22 PM
marcel snapshot

Quote:
So this is what Holtby is quoted as saying:

"I don't know exactly what it is, and who knows what preparation means in here, but it's the fact that we're not coming out hard enough to play," Holtby said. "We're not wanting to get the lead, we're not hungry enough to get that first one and keep pushing. We're kind of sitting back waiting for a hockey game [to come] to us and you don't win many games doing that."

"The preparation at the start of last year is the same as it was here," Holtby said, referring to Washington's 2-8-1 record through its first 11 games last season. "In my mindset, two hours before puck drop, that's when it's business time and focus. You see too much of guys joking around and listening to music and just looking really loose, like it's a practice. We're paid to prepare, [not to] have a dance party before the game.

"I don't know what it is, but yeah, you go back to Winnipeg last year, it's a changed team. It started in the dressing room and we have to get back to that. ... Maybe we need a little bit of a wake-up call to get back to where we were last year at the end."

http://www.nbcwashington.com/blogs/c...-Question.html

Every single bit of this is absolutely spot on. For year, this team's mental make-up has been too soft and unfocused, though Hunter was able to mask it during his short stint (and appears to have triggered a stealth mutiny in doing so).

You have a sloppy, loosey-goosey, insufficiently intense attitude - chances are good you'll play sloppy, loosey-goosey, insufficiently intense hockey. And that's what we're seeing from this team.

It's just a shame that it takes a kid goalie to call this out - why the fug isn't McPhee or Ted or Oates or any of the team leadership or "core" calling out the team's crap mindset and lack of intensity and commitment. To ask the question is almost to answer it. They're either nurturing it or enjoying it.

Old
10-30-2013, 05:30 PM
Burakovsky95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystlyfe View Post
I'm really curious to what the coaching staff is seeing during the game and in video to make them continue to trust Schmidt, and now Orlov, more than Urbom.
I will never understand the love affair for Oleksy either.

Old
10-30-2013, 05:32 PM
Hivemind
We're Touched

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsGoCaps19 View Post
I will never understand the love affair for Oleksy either.
That one's much easier for me to understand. While he's looked pretty darn bad the past few games, he's had stretches both this year and last where he's played incredibly well. His offensive zone instincts generally seem spot on. If anything, the problem might be that he's overconfident right now. His great play might have gone to his head a bit, as he doesn't seem to be playing within his limits quite as much as he used to, and it's costing him against better forwards.

Old
10-30-2013, 05:45 PM
Burakovsky95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystlyfe View Post
That one's much easier for me to understand. While he's looked pretty darn bad the past few games, he's had stretches both this year and last where he's played incredibly well. His offensive zone instincts generally seem spot on. If anything, the problem might be that he's overconfident right now. His great play might have gone to his head a bit, as he doesn't seem to be playing within his limits quite as much as he used to, and it's costing him against better forwards.
I just cant buy into him. I can see him as a 7th-8th dman or an AHL depth guy but on a good team he shouldn't be in a top 6. This is completely only my opinion though.

Old
10-30-2013, 05:51 PM
SimplySensational
Heard of Hough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
Someone has to call out the players in front of him. The coaching staff seems pretty clueless and unlikely to change things so it might as well be him. Laich does nothing but posture whereas I think Holtby actually believes the words coming out of his mouth.

They need real leadership in the worst way. On-ice leadership would be a bonus but even a Knuble type would help. Not sure any of the vets bring that these days.
You act like its the first time Holtby has done this, he's done it and promptly sucked the next game.

Old
10-30-2013, 05:59 PM
Hivemind
We're Touched

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsGoCaps19 View Post
I just cant buy into him. I can see him as a 7th-8th dman or an AHL depth guy but on a good team he shouldn't be in a top 6. This is completely only my opinion though.
The other aspect is the lack of a clear replacement. Unlike LHD, where we have an abundance of young players competing for time, RHD has more question marks in the AHL.
Kundratek isn't any better in the defensive zone than Oleksy, and Oleksy's increasing offensive confidence reduces Kundratek's appeal there as well. Kundratek's biggest advantage, his powerplay ability, is negated by a lack of an available PP spot.
Strachan has Oleksy's size and even better reach in the defensive zone, but isn't any more mobile and isn't as good in the offensive zone. Having a more defensively oriented RHD might change up the look of the defense a bit, but I'd be hard pressed to say that Strachan is an upgrade over Oleksy.
Carrick clearly needs more size before he can be an NHL regular, and that was abundantly clear during his cup of coffee at the beginning of the year. Maybe in a season or two he can challenge for the 3RD spot permanently.
Genoway simply isn't an NHL player, as much as I like him from his NCAA days.
Wey is in Reading, and looked like he couldn't really hang with the pace of the NHL game during the pre-season.
Flemming is a smaller version of Wey, now in his 3rd ECHL season.

Unless Oates is willing to try Orlov at RD, it's not likely that we see a much better alternative than Oleksy from inside the organization.

Old
10-30-2013, 06:02 PM
Langway
Intangibles

Quote:
You act like its the first time Holtby has done this, he's done it and promptly sucked the next game.
Everybody sucks sometime.

Now that's a setup...

Old
10-30-2013, 06:02 PM
marcel snapshot

I think intensity can be coached: look at the attitude adjustment that Roy has brought to Colorado, a team whose back-up goalie called out the players just last spring for thinking more about their Vegas trip than hockey. Look how Hunter brought defensive intensity to the Caps by basically making clear that playing time would be cut if you didn't show it. During his coaching shelf life with the Rangers, Tortorella significantly upped the intensity with which not-very-talented (except for the goalie) Rangers teams played.

Converesely, if there aren't significant consequences for being lackadaisacal, well then you should expect lax play.

Old
10-30-2013, 06:03 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
Best to follow the Neuvirth route. Suck AND don't call out the team.

Old
10-30-2013, 06:09 PM
g00n
abides

Quote:
You like Nervy. We get it.

Old
10-30-2013, 06:12 PM
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock

Quote:
They are polar opposites. Of course you can't tell the difference.

Old
10-30-2013, 06:16 PM
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcel snapshot View Post
So this is what Holtby is quoted as saying:

"I don't know exactly what it is, and who knows what preparation means in here, but it's the fact that we're not coming out hard enough to play," Holtby said. "We're not wanting to get the lead, we're not hungry enough to get that first one and keep pushing. We're kind of sitting back waiting for a hockey game [to come] to us and you don't win many games doing that."

"The preparation at the start of last year is the same as it was here," Holtby said, referring to Washington's 2-8-1 record through its first 11 games last season. "In my mindset, two hours before puck drop, that's when it's business time and focus. You see too much of guys joking around and listening to music and just looking really loose, like it's a practice. We're paid to prepare, [not to] have a dance party before the game.

"I don't know what it is, but yeah, you go back to Winnipeg last year, it's a changed team. It started in the dressing room and we have to get back to that. ... Maybe we need a little bit of a wake-up call to get back to where we were last year at the end."

http://www.nbcwashington.com/blogs/c...-Question.html
Someone actually read those quotes and thought, "Hey, this sounds just like Brooks Laich."

Old
10-30-2013, 07:11 PM
Langway
Intangibles

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcel snapshot View Post
I think intensity can be coached: look at the attitude adjustment that Roy has brought to Colorado, a team whose back-up goalie called out the players just last spring for thinking more about their Vegas trip than hockey. Look how Hunter brought defensive intensity to the Caps by basically making clear that playing time would be cut if you didn't show it. During his coaching shelf life with the Rangers, Tortorella significantly upped the intensity with which not-very-talented (except for the goalie) Rangers teams played.

Converesely, if there aren't significant consequences for being lackadaisacal, well then you should expect lax play.
Completely agree. This is the single most concerning thing about Oates and the rest of the coaching staff. Oates seems to believe it isn't the responsibility of the coaching staff to motivate or bring about high level system execution (outside of Forsythe's PP work).

It's not hard to draw a line from putting things on everyone being prepared as individuals to there being an almost complete lack of a team identity. Team building and cohesion are large responsibilities for a coaching staff to bring about and I haven't really heard those concepts from the coaching staff. (I would think if they're truely important facets of the game then it would be part of their rote explanations.) Holtby's comments are somewhat misguided but he is on to something. Preparation itself is a huge part of why this team is crap.

Old
10-30-2013, 07:27 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post

I'd prefer my goalie back up his words on the ice. Talking a big game is nice and all, but results speak louder. Last time he called them out in the playoffs, then laid an egg in goal the next night out....

They DO need leadership in the worst way, not just the lip service we hear from multiple players.

BTW as for the content of his comments, spot on. Inmates running the asylum. I remember when Boudreau used to take all the heat for that atmosphere. Clearly its an organizational issue.

Closed Thread