HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Corey Potter and Denis Grebeshkov [UPD: Both Clear; Assigned to OKC]

Old
10-30-2013, 02:27 PM
Cloned
Sexy Genesis

vCash: 500
Potter was probably our second most physical defenseman (which is quite sad). He'll probably get claimed by Calgary, then in one of our games together he'll hit and injure RNH.

Sig AND X-mas avatar courtesy of The Nemesis

"Pull yourself together!" - Solid Snake to Otacon, multiple times in the series
Cloned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 02:36 PM
OilerTyler
Fire Lowe

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloned View Post
Potter was probably our second most physical defenseman (which is quite sad). He'll probably get claimed by Calgary, then in one of our games together he'll hit and injure RNH.
The only way Potter will injure anyone is by tripping them or stepping on their face and I think his new teammates should be more worried about that then us

OilerTyler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 02:52 PM
ManofSteel55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everest View Post
Management continues to change out guys who are well down on the depth chart from where the real problems exist.

Potter is a decent 3rd pairing guy on this team. Ive always maintained this.

However...it really doesn't matter at this point we need to get our top 2 guys playing like they're top pairing guys.

Justin Schultz is KILLING this team right meow. Not Corey Potter.
The problem is that Justin Schultz shouldn't be put in the situation where he is a top 2 guy, he's not good enough yet. Schultz and Belov have been a train wreck as a pair, despite both being good defensemen with upside. Give Petry and Smid the top pair minutes, give Schultz and Ference 2nd pair minutes, and Belov and N. Schultz (or Fedun...please Fedun) the easy, bottom pairing minutes, instead of having our too-quick-to-gamble young top pair hanging out the team to dry multiple times per game.

ManofSteel55 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 02:52 PM
Aerchon

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerTyler View Post
The only way Potter will injure anyone is by tripping them or stepping on their face and I think his new teammates should be more worried about that then us
He won't have Hall collapsing during a warm up and sticking his head under his skate blade or Whitney unable to move out of the way of a snail.

The Potter hate is very unjustified.

Potter had a nice mean streak and was quick to start throwing his weight around. For those that didn't notice that... open yer eyes.

I don't think he will be picked up on waivers tho. Only because of his being paired with Whitney last year who dog ^&*( and the fact he just came off an injury.

Aerchon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 02:54 PM
Aerchon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManofSteel55 View Post
The problem is that Justin Schultz shouldn't be put in the situation where he is a top 2 guy, he's not good enough yet. Schultz and Belov have been a train wreck as a pair, despite both being good defensemen with upside. Give Petry and Smid the top pair minutes, give Schultz and Ference 2nd pair minutes, and Belov and N. Schultz (or Fedun...please Fedun) the easy, bottom pairing minutes, instead of having our too-quick-to-gamble young top pair hanging out the team to dry multiple times per game.
Shultz terribad defensive plays are happening in every situation. Even if he was only playing against weaker competition and less minutes he would still be causing far too many goals against with his reckless play.

Old
10-30-2013, 03:13 PM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

Schultz got hung out to dry a few times last night.

Belov would pinch, which is fine - but the winger responsible to cover his pinch didn't do their job and that resulted in a few odd man rushes.
Kessel scored on one, Schultz was able to stop the 2 on 1 a few other times.

The other time the Oilers got caught 4 deep was because Schultz hit the post. That should have been a goal, instead its a 3 on 1 the other way and all of a sudden its 2-0 instead of 1-1. I believe that was the moment last night that the team collectively said "****" and then the rout was on.

Groucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 03:23 PM
ponokanocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetaOil1993 View Post
I am no Nick Schultz fan by any means but he has been quite decent the last 2-3 games.
I was originally a big fan of Schultz, but his body of work has been pretty poor for quite a while now. He just seems to have really lost a step and can't keep up anymore.

ponokanocker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 03:59 PM
Master Lok

I've noticed improved play from Nick Schultz however, ever since his benching. Particularly Nick Schultz has delivered at one huge on-ice hit every game. Last night, I can't remember who it was against the Leafs, but it was big hit.

It seems like after every player was benched - they've improved their play. (Smyth, Yakupov, Schultz). Jones has played much better since getting sent down.

I think its small steps in removing the ego of these players and forcing them to realize they had better play the team game.

Master Lok is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 04:03 PM
Aerchon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Lok View Post
I've noticed improved play from Nick Schultz however, ever since his benching. Particularly Nick Schultz has delivered at one huge on-ice hit every game. Last night, I can't remember who it was against the Leafs, but it was big hit.

It seems like after every player was benched - they've improved their play. (Smyth, Yakupov, Schultz). Jones has played much better since getting sent down.

I think its small steps in removing the ego of these players and forcing them to realize they had better play the team game.
agree 100%

Makes players accountable.

Now the coach needs to bench J. Shultz stat.

Old
10-30-2013, 04:25 PM
Stoneman89

Said it at the time, and Ill say it again. Still have no idea why they signed Garbagkov this past summer. Not even good enough for an 8th defenceman. If the idea was for depth on the blueline, that was a complete fail.

Stoneman89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 04:28 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Yup we've reached it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneman89 View Post
Said it at the time, and Ill say it again. Still have no idea why they signed Garbagkov this past summer. Not even good enough for an 8th defenceman. If the idea was for depth on the blueline, that was a complete fail.
Yup it was, and it cost the team nothing, and Gregor gets a few more plugs with that ever classy nick name.

The Oilers aren't worse off with Potter and Grebeshkov on waivers.

Like I said earlier, this should be followed by the recall of Fedun, that would be perfect.

Jimmi Jenkins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 05:25 PM
Nunymare
Rinse, repeat

Send a message via MSN to Nunymare
Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerTyler View Post
Really? Come on.

Nunymare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 07:33 PM
bozwell
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 5007
as if either will get picked up

bozwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 08:23 PM
MeestaDeteta

vCash: 139
Meh, doesn't really make much difference for our team. IMO, there are a couple other Dmen that could have just as easily been sent down.

MeestaDeteta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 08:24 PM
MeestaDeteta

vCash: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneman89 View Post
It was for depth, and it really wasn't much risk. It didn't work out, not the end of the world.

MeestaDeteta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 08:36 PM
SeriousBusiness
T.Hall da man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloned View Post
Potter can't really be considered a physical dman by any standard. He brought very little to the table last year, and is so far down the depth chart now, there's no way he'll see the NHL in an Oilers uniform. And I'm OK with that.

SeriousBusiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 11:45 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponokanocker View Post
I was originally a big fan of Schultz, but his body of work has been pretty poor for quite a while now. He just seems to have really lost a step and can't keep up anymore.
completely disagree. He was hardly even a #6 dman last season, but the last bit he's stepped his game up a lot

The Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2013, 06:44 AM
alphahelix

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
completely disagree. He was hardly even a #6 dman last season, but the last bit he's stepped his game up a lot
I agree, he was bad last year. He has been passable this year for the most part - or maybe he just looks good standing next to all the ugly girls.

alphahelix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2013, 09:12 PM
Rin

No more COREY POWER POTTER PLAYS in the NHL this year?

Rin is offline   Reply With Quote