HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

What is your breaking point as a fan?

View Poll Results: How much longer before you start questioning you allegiance to the Oilers
I bleed copper and Blue 124 41.61%
1 more year 10 3.36%
2 more years 10 3.36%
I am starting to follow another team aleady 31 10.40%
Cheering for the Flames already 18 6.04%
Looking at other options 37 12.42%
I am enjoying the fan meltdown after every lose 68 22.82%
Voters: 298. You may not vote on this poll

Old
10-30-2013, 02:45 PM
flashy
Fire Tambellini.

vCash: 500
Tambellinni and his 3rd first overall pick.

Ever since then I've wanted this team to lose. I wanted Lowe and anybody left of that gone.

flashy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 02:50 PM
Everest

Kevin Lowe's embarrassing rant last April was a rock bottom for me.

Up until this week, I had barely posted between then & now.

Nothing has really changed. My passion level is at an all time low for this team & Ive already been cheering for PIT the last few years as my "Bandwagon Team".

Only reason Im around is a personal situation requiring me to be home with my 7 month old son all day. While he sleeps, Ive been passing the time pissing & moaning about the Oil.

Ugh.

I cant wait til I can go back to work.

Everest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 03:05 PM
bone

vCash: 705
Won't vote as it doesn't cover my state. I'll never change allegiances, but my dedication is going. Instead of watching games, I'm thinking I'll play with my kids more or watch more movies with my wife. I'll still cheer from the team but I'm probably only a couple more losses away from becoming a fan who only follows the scores.

bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 03:12 PM
Oscar Acosta
Bat Country

vCash: 738
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Dynasty View Post
who cares if they went to the Rack? should they sit in their rooms and not leave until Saturday as punishment?
It's just the optics of it. They can also blow off steam by grabbing beers and hanging out at someone's home, whatever. It's just that it looks like they're out care free partying.

I personally don't care that much as I use any excuse to pound back the beers. But at the same time if I was letting people down I wouldn't just strut around doing it in their faces either.

Oscar Acosta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 03:13 PM
bone

vCash: 705
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottb7 View Post
I really just regret buying NHL GameCentre after all the pre-season hype. Now I feel obligated to watch the games otherwise it will be a big waste of money I guess it is already a waste of money anyway..
You already wasted your money. Why waste your time as well.

bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 03:30 PM
Sloth Slothersons*
They cut my beard

Oilers will always be my favorite team. Even if they keep losing. I do lose more and more interest after every loss though. I still wouldn't switch teams.

Sloth Slothersons* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 03:36 PM
seguino

I am tired of standing up for the Oilers, really tired. That said, i should not have bought into the propaganda starting with Oil-change.
"they're going to be a contender in a couple years, you watch"
"we got Hall,RNH...you wait and see, we are the next Blackhawks or Penguins"
"Dubnyk is a good goalie, look at his stats on one of the worst teams"

-Wont be a contender
-not the blackhawks or Penguins
-Dubnyk blows

What bugs me the most? all the nay-sayers were and are right. Oilers suck. Horcoff,Tambelini,Souray,Quinn,Kruger,Whitney etc etc etc must be loving it right now.

ffffffffffffffffuuuuuuuuuudge

seguino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 03:42 PM
Diamondillium
DO YOU WANT ANTS!?

vCash: 50
Will never switch teams, and will continue to hate everything about this team because I love them.

Diamondillium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 03:46 PM
AlowlyOilersfan
Comrade

vCash: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamondillium View Post
Will never switch teams, and will continue to hate everything about this team because I love them.
Exactly this.

Lowest of lows

highest of highs

AlowlyOilersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 03:52 PM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

I can't say I will switch to another team. I've already got other teams that I like, but this is the home team.

Being invested in professional sports is really irrational and a giant waste of time, and as I've spent hundreds of hours wasting my time and money watching games live, on TV, on the internet, and posting on this message board, I can't give you a rational reason why I continue to do so. But I will continue.

This is probably the most depressed I've ever been about the team, and I think it's partially because any optimism we had in the team growing towards something the last couple of seasons, and the occasional glimpses of awesome (Chicago games, 8 point Gagner, RNH 5 points on HNIC, etc) were just illusions.

But then I take into consideration the absolutely ridiculous number of injuries the Oilers get to key players, the number of goal posts, etc, and I think "there must be a curse on this franchise". I think that has been the most frustrating thing about this year.

dustrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 04:47 PM
The Reasoner

When they fold the team or move it to another city.

The Reasoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 04:58 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar Acosta View Post
It's just the optics of it. They can also blow off steam by grabbing beers and hanging out at someone's home, whatever. It's just that it looks like they're out care free partying.

I personally don't care that much as I use any excuse to pound back the beers. But at the same time if I was letting people down I wouldn't just strut around doing it in their faces either.
So were they doing this? Going out and having a few beers = partying and strutting around now?

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 04:59 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 0
I don't think I have a breaking point. This team has pretty much been garbage most of my life and the part it wasn't garbage I was fairly young to be that knowledgeable about the game.

Don't see me quitting on the Oil unless they move or run a train on my future yet to be identified wife.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 05:04 PM
Oscar Acosta
Bat Country

vCash: 738
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
So were they doing this? Going out and having a few beers = partying and strutting around now?
Like I said it's the optics. Whether they like it or not, a lot of people have a vested interest in their success and failure, it just rubs others the wrong way. Having a few beers with friends is seen differently than hitting up The Rack on Whyte where it's more to celebrate.

Once again, I don't care. I do see how it bothers others though.

Oscar Acosta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 05:05 PM
rboomercat90

vCash: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheikyerbouti View Post
My breaking point was when they hired MacT. It showed that things won't get better until Lowe is gone and resumes matter.
Mac T's hire was the final straw for me too and for the same reasons. I'll still watch this team but I'm not under any illusion things are getting better.

rboomercat90 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 05:07 PM
Njoy Oilers

There should be poll for which tier of fan you are. Season ticket holders would be the true indicators of this kind of poll. It's all about the $$$$$$ after all.

Njoy Oilers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 05:51 PM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by rboomercat90 View Post
Mac T's hire was the final straw for me too and for the same reasons. I'll still watch this team but I'm not under any illusion things are getting better.
The thing is, MacT's moves have been decent.
They had an OK draft, he made the move for MPS for Perron, his UFA signings were all pretty good.
The biggest problem this team has is they don't play like a team. Until they start buying in and playing as a team they won't win games.

Groucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 05:54 PM
flashy
Fire Tambellini.

I actually retract my past statement.

I'm a tier 3 fan. My input is not valid.

flashy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 05:57 PM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

If the Oilers finish behind the Flames this year (which I don't think will happen), that might be it for me.

GreatKeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 06:03 PM
Hugo Stiglitz

vCash: 1439
I'll never switch teams (I'll follow other teams, but my Oilers memorabilia will stay put). This is my last year with this crap though. Even now I don't watch the entire game.

Hugo Stiglitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 06:10 PM
molsonmuscle360

I've been watching this team for the last 30 years, I am not gonna stop just because they are terrible for a while. If that was the case, I would have stopped being a fan in the 90's.

I will admit, I'm frustrated as all get out, but I still love the team, and will always cheer for the Oilers.

molsonmuscle360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 06:11 PM
OilDrop37

Anyone that switches over to the Flames was never an Oiler fan to begin with. I'd quit watching hockey altogether before I ever cheered for those ****ers

OilDrop37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 06:14 PM
DousedInOil

Can someone photoshop the oilers faces onto Walter white, Saul goodman and the rest of the breaking bad cast?

DousedInOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 06:43 PM
jadeddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
This is pretty much it, lol, to not make the playoffs is one thing, but to be out of the running seemingly before Halloween is just incredibly depressing. At least dangle that carrot in front of the fans and give them hope until US Thanksgiving at a minimum.

But at this point it's like a train wreck you can't turn away from.
yeah this is pretty much it... i'll be an oilers fan as long as there is an oilers team in the NHL... i'll never cheer for another team, ever, for any reason.... every year that we aren't in the cup final i secretly hope for the entire thing to be cancelled (i'm only half-kidding, lol)

all that being said, i'm getting to the point where i don't care when they lose, because i've been conditioned to accept it as an inevitability ... it's become, as soundwave says, comical

basically the entire organization is a joke to me at this point, and i only follow the team as closely as i do because its tough to stop doing something after 30 years

jadeddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 07:10 PM
Up the Irons

vCash: 480
My breaking point would be if, and when, Eakins is fired and MacT/KLowe simply trot out the next rookie coach and remain on the job. Even then, I would still cheer from afar.

I have already pulled away and have purposefully lessened my attention and lowered my care-factor, as well as have adopted the Blackhawks as a #2. same with the Raptors (also cheer for the Bulls and Thunder) and Jays (also cheer for the Dodgers and Cardinals)

but, i will always be an Oiler fan at heart. I'm not bragging about it anymore or following as closely (didn't watch one second last night).

Up the Irons is offline   Reply With Quote