Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

More trades keep coming.

Old
12-02-2006, 08:49 AM
SimonTemplar

vCash: 500
More trades keep coming.

Elgin Reid from the 67's has been shipped to Owen Sound for a second round pick.

Anthony Gaudagnolo the Windsor Goalie is moved to Owen Sound for Josh Bailey included in the deal a second round to Windsor/ Sobozynsci to Owen Sound.

Busy time on the OHL and the prices are insane this year.

SimonTemplar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2006, 12:38 PM
Superfly Jimmy Snuka

I hope Mike Futa knows what hes doing because Bailey is going to put up some big numbers down the road

Superfly Jimmy Snuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2006, 01:53 PM
SpItFiReZ

Gauds is unreal but he only has a half a year left. Windsor Offense in two years is going to be one of the best by far.

SpItFiReZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2006, 02:47 PM
hockeyprincess

I just met Elgin and the two Anthonys not too long ago... Elgin on Tuesday and the Anthonys just yesterday.

That explains why Guads wasn't starting last night.
That explains why Soboczynski was a scratch last night.
And Elgin is demanding the trade? Oooooooooooooh... I see. Maybe a two-captain system doesn't work in Ottawa.

Oh well...
I have a feeling that there will be more trades soon.

hockeyprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2006, 03:12 PM
hockeyprincess

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonTemplar View Post
Elgin Reid from the 67's has been shipped to Owen Sound for a second round pick.

Anthony Gaudagnolo the Windsor Goalie is moved to Owen Sound for Josh Bailey included in the deal a second round to Windsor/ Sobozynsci to Owen Sound.

Busy time on the OHL and the prices are insane this year.
Oh yeah...
Scott Bowles was also traded to Windsor from Owen Sound.

Old
12-02-2006, 04:43 PM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyprincess View Post
I just met Elgin and the two Anthonys not too long ago... Elgin on Tuesday and the Anthonys just yesterday.

That explains why Guads wasn't starting last night.
That explains why Soboczynski was a scratch last night.
And Elgin is demanding the trade? Oooooooooooooh... I see. Maybe a two-captain system doesn't work in Ottawa.

Oh well...
I have a feeling that there will be more trades soon.
Do you make it your business to stalk these players and then brag to us how you "know" them all like we actually give a damn?

Dig Out Your Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2006, 01:40 PM
balddog66

I was so dissapointed they traded Bailey.
I thought he was going to be there go to guy for the next couple of seasons, first
round potential in the NHL...(which means good money coming to the Attack's)

Unless the Attack at least take the OHL championship this trade is a mistake.
Hopefully Futa isn't thinking his job is on the line, he's done an outstanding job the past 3-4 years.

balddog66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2006, 04:00 PM
Superfly Jimmy Snuka

rumblings last night from the GMC centre in Oshawa have the Generals dealing Cal Clutterbuck, but at this point it is only speculation...

Superfly Jimmy Snuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2006, 03:51 PM
hockeyprincess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superfly Jimmy Snuka View Post
rumblings last night from the GMC centre in Oshawa have the Generals dealing Cal Clutterbuck, but at this point it is only speculation...
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

Old
12-13-2006, 03:18 PM
SimonTemplar

This one is even bigger...................read on.

Petes may move veterans

MIKE DAVIES
Local Sports - Wednesday, December 13, 2006 Updated @ 11:19:08 AM

Daniel Ryder has told the Petes he wants to finish his junior career in Peterborough.

Petes' GM Jeff Twohey acknowledged yesterday he's fielded numerous calls from teams looking to acquire either Ryder or Petes' captain Steve Downie. The duo are tied for fourth in OHL scoring with 59 points in 29 and 28 games respectively.

Twohey said it's something the club is seriously considering but no final decision has been made.

"I have no intentions of going anywhere," Ryder told The Examiner. "Those are my thoughts right now. I've been here for three years and I'm pretty comfortable with the team and organization. I'd like to start and finish my junior career here."

Twohey said he wasn't shopping his stars but calls started to come, from teams like Kitchener, London and Saginaw, so he met with the players.

"This is not a case where we are in, any way, trying to get rid of Steve or Daniel," Twohey said. "The ball started rolling with the contending teams inquiring. What concerned me is that once teams start inquiring and I start talking then rumours start. I talked to both Steve and Daniel and made it clear to them that this is not something that is initiated by us but teams are approaching us and we have to listen.
"

Downie and Ryder are likely to play pro next season and Twohey says he has to, at least, consider trades which could benefit their future.

"We're really a young team," said Twohey. "These are premier players and if there is a fit that makes sense where we can help a team possibly win and secure our future, we have to look at it. It's a very difficult part of the business. I haven't pulled any punches with Daniel or Steve out of respect for them. They needed to know what is going on."

He says both resisted the idea. Downie, currently at Canada's national junior camp in Calgary, expressed a desire to stay in Peterborough. He told Twohey coming to the Petes has been good for his career. Downie also said he understood it's part of the business.

"I don't think they are really happy about it," said Twohey. "That's what makes them great. They're loyal and like it here and they've told me they really don't want to leave."

Twohey said the easy decision would be to keep them but he has to weigh all the factors.

"There was a benchmark set when Ryan O'Marra was traded that is pretty significant," he said.

Erie dealt O'Marra to Saginaw for former first-round draft pick Zach Torquato and second- and fourth-round draft picks. The Petes are missing second- and fourth-round picks in the next draft. The second was used to help get Downie. The fourth was for Lubomir Stach last season.

"Ultimately, our goal is to win the Memorial Cup," Twohey said. "Is there some kind of a match here to put us in a great position to do that quicker, maybe, than what we had anticipated? If there is, we have to look at it. If there isn't a suitable match, we're quite happy to keep them both here."

Twohey says feedback from fans is split on the subject. The club has a record season ticket base this year and keeping a competitive team this season has to be a consideration.

"You can be damned if you do and damned if you don't," he said. "The fans might be happy short term but, maybe, there is a fit there that we can really make the fans happy long term. It's a lot to weigh and it's very trying. You're on the phone all the time to people. It's weighing on me because I really like both Daniel and Steve and I know they like it here. It's a tough decision but you look at a team like Sarnia which traded John Hecimovic and Daniel Carcillo and the fallout they got from that makes them a real strong team now and in the future because of the number of draft picks."

And what about the message trading those two might send to the current roster?

"A lot would depend on what came back in. This is a young team with the bulk of them back and they might look at it and think 'Geez, with this here now for the next few years this is really exciting,'" said Twohey.

There is a holiday trade freeze starting Tuesday until Dec. 28. The OHL trade deadline is Jan. 10.

Twohey said if a deal involving Downie is done, he'd like to be able to tell him face-to-face which means after the world juniors Dec. 26-Jan. 5.

"If there is a deal that is so obvious you can't pass it up, it might happen tomorrow," said Twohey.

Old
12-13-2006, 05:15 PM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Twohey has been at Rangers games the last two weeks, so I'm guessing he was checking out the young players he likes in the event a trade proposal for Downie is made.

Personally, I'd love to see Downie in Kitchener, but there is a more pressing need for a defenseman.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2006, 05:59 PM
hockeyprincess

Jeff Twohey had enough intelligence to bring Steve Downie to the Petes. Let's see if he has enough intelligence to keep him with them. I don't want Downie to go anywhere because he brings some of the veteran savvy Peterborough needs.

Is there anyone that is actually affordable enough to trade for Downie? And who would be the new captain? Besides, it's not like Kitchener, London or Saginaw need Downie anyway. They are the best teams in the OHL. And do you think a team from the Western Conference wants him anyway after what happened in Windsor? I don't think so.

Old
12-13-2006, 06:19 PM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Quote:
Jeff Twohey had enough intelligence to bring Steve Downie to the Petes. Let's see if he has enough intelligence to keep him with them. I don't want Downie to go anywhere because he brings some of the veteran savvy Peterborough needs.

Is there anyone that is actually affordable enough to trade for Downie? And who would be the new captain? Besides, it's not like Kitchener, London or Saginaw need Downie anyway. They are the best teams in the OHL. And do you think a team from the Western Conference wants him anyway after what happened in Windsor? I don't think so.
Any team that wants to win this year will have an interest in Downie (and Ryder). I don't care what happened in Windsor, that is irrelevant to 19 other teams.

The Petes would not be worrying about losing veteran savvy, nor would they worry about replacing their captain, if the right deal came along that could make them a better team in the future, they do it. They are not about to win anything this year (unless the rumours of Staal being sent back come true).

Twohey is right, he has to listen to offers and do what's best for the team. The players might not like it, he might not like it either, but because Downie and Ryder won't return next year, it's wise to try and grab some quality young players and picks for them if it's being offered.

Dig Out Your Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2006, 10:05 AM
SimonTemplar

Quote:

Why, he is not returning next season if you don't move him you get nothing except maybe a first round exit. Zack Torquato / Josh Bailey have GM's licking their chops at big pay days for moving out stars who serve no further purpose anyway.

Teams that take stars to seasons end are usually the same teams that never get past mediocre seasons year after year. Sudbury might be moving Mark Stall as well.

Who cares who the captain is it will be in full rebuild if they move them.

You don't think London, Kitchener or Saginaw need Downie, ok what happens if a deal goes down with Downie going to one of them, it will set off a chain reaction flurry of trades for teams trying to stay with them.

Those two would tip the balance heavily to the buyer of going through as Western Conference Champs guarantee it.