HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

What is your breaking point as a fan?

View Poll Results: How much longer before you start questioning you allegiance to the Oilers
I bleed copper and Blue 124 41.61%
1 more year 10 3.36%
2 more years 10 3.36%
I am starting to follow another team aleady 31 10.40%
Cheering for the Flames already 18 6.04%
Looking at other options 37 12.42%
I am enjoying the fan meltdown after every lose 68 22.82%
Voters: 298. You may not vote on this poll

Old
10-30-2013, 08:14 PM
MeestaDeteta

vCash: 139
I will always be an Oil fan, but I've already started following another team. I don't buy any Oilers products and I watch the rare game at this point.

MeestaDeteta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 08:15 PM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

vCash: 500
My breaking point was Lowe's tier one fan babble. That guy is such a pretentious piece of ****, but he's also such an idiot at the same time it's absolutely disgusting that this organization keeps him employed. Then again, this organization is a joke too, so what else would I expect.

Mr Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 08:22 PM
Lion

vCash: 50
I'm linked to the Oilers for life but I've paid a lot less attention to them over the past couple of seasons. I'll start paying more attention when they start winning.

Lion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 08:26 PM
JaredCowenFan
New Motivation + #10

I always be an Oilers fan. Sure some times I'm embarrassed by them but I will never be a Bandwagon and cheer for a team that's winning.

JaredCowenFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 08:43 PM
OilChuck
Clutch and Crutch

Terrible time to love the orange and blue. Its gonna take time but Eakins is the right coach. Go away Kevin Lowe!

OilChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 08:50 PM
MeestaDeteta

Somebody should start an electronic petition to get KLowe fired, if that happens, I could at least be somewhat satisfied with this season.

Old
10-30-2013, 08:56 PM
Baggers

I would never follow another team, but my love for the team is gradually being replaced by indifference. Being a 2nd tier fan who doesn't live in Canada affords me that luxury.

Baggers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 08:58 PM
MeestaDeteta

I'd also love to hear KLowe address the media, and answer questions. Since he's a winner and knows what it takes to win, why is his team still in the basement?

Old
10-30-2013, 09:26 PM
Rpro

I think that loss to Toronto has sent me over the edge. I'll always be an Oilers fan but I don't even get exited for the games anymore. Even those two wins VS the Habs and Sens didn't get me too optimistic that the team was going to turn it around. I've become numb to the losing and even when they win I know it won't continue. I've decided to pay no attention to their next few games and just read the results in the paper the next day; see how that feels.

I moved to Edmonton the year after '06. Maybe it's all my fault guys! Lol......*sigh*

Rpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 09:38 PM
Ragss

Lowe's gotta go. But will Katz ever do that?

Ragss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 09:42 PM
rboomercat90

vCash: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
The thing is, MacT's moves have been decent.
They had an OK draft, he made the move for MPS for Perron, his UFA signings were all pretty good.
The biggest problem this team has is they don't play like a team. Until they start buying in and playing as a team they won't win games.
The MPS for Perron trade appears to be working out well. I don't know how you can view the draft as much of a success outside of drafting Nurse. He passed up on several decent looking picks in the second round to draft down and it will be years before we know either way if it was successful or not. He had a big press conference the day before the draft announcing all of his plans and then everything fell apart on him. I lost count of all the times the TSN cameras caught him with a bewildered look on his face. Hard to call that a successful day.
As far as his free agent signings go, this teams record is 3-9-2. How successful have any of them really been? He overpays for Gordon, a defensive center, and then his rookie coach refuses to play him against other teams top lines. Ference isn't noticeable at all. Joensuu looked good in game 1 and has only been healthy enough to play in one other game. Grebeshkov was waived. The decision to bring in Macintyre was a waste of a contract. Labarbera has been awful. Belov is the only free agent who is playing well. Acton looks like he made a bad team because his father is a coach. Who have I missed?
Mac t's moves have been just like Tambellini's were, they always garnered rave reviews in the summertime but they did absolutely nothing to fill any of the teams glaring holes.

rboomercat90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 10:03 PM
Butane Fan

I am hoping for the day that most of Oilers can tell both Kypreos and Maclean to blow them. I have so little use for Doug Maclean what has he ever accomplished in NHL. The answer is nada

Butane Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 10:27 PM
vespa99

My breaking point would be seeing the Sedins or Phaneuf in an Oilers uni. Almost anything else I can handle. Just couldnt stand to see any of those faces above an Oilers sweater

vespa99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 11:30 PM
shoop

Quote:
Originally Posted by vespa99 View Post
My breaking point would be seeing the Sedins or Phaneuf in an Oilers uni. Almost anything else I can handle. Just couldnt stand to see any of those faces above an Oilers sweater
Steve Smith or Buchy as head coach would do it for me. Can barely stand them as assistants. wtf was Eakins thinking keeping them on the staff?

shoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 11:30 PM
misfit

Quote:
Originally Posted by vespa99 View Post
I think you're probably safe.

10-31-2013, 12:07 AM
OneMoreAstronaut
Reduce chainsaw size

I have only been able to bring myself to watch three games this season; two pathetic losses, and I got lucky and got to watch that great comeback win earlier in the season. I always check the box scores and either feel good or bad accordingly, but I just don't have the stomach to keep going with the oilers right now. On the plus side I've watched lots of other great games on tv, and I've enjoyed following the Leafs lately who I cheered for when I was a kid. I'll come back to the oilers once (if) they turn things around, but I've basically checked out for now.

OneMoreAstronaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2013, 12:22 AM
harpoon
FOB

I hate to say it but emo threads like this are coming closer to driving me away from hockey than anything the Oilers have ever done.

harpoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2013, 03:38 AM
BlueChip01

I will make convo on here, but I am done. Did not watch the LA game. Watched parts of the TO game.

No more wasting time. Can follow the score on an app. Embarrassed to be a fan if this team and I have been a die hard since the 1990 win. I watched that series and partially the 1988 one. Gretzkys last game. Recorded it.

Big trade and I'm back. Otherwise a complete waste of time.

BlueChip01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2013, 08:38 AM
joestevens29

Everyone that says they are done and posts in this thread or other threads isn't done.

If you were done you wouldn't spend the time to tell people you are done and continue to post here.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2013, 04:49 PM
Hockey Nightmare

I think the losing would be easier to take if we were dressing a lineup of blue collar scrubs. At least then it would be understood why we sucked. Having three #1s and still sucking so bad makes it harder to take.

Hockey Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2013, 04:53 PM
DrDreidelz

vCash: 1000
Ive started watching Ekblad can't wait for the world juniors.

DrDreidelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2013, 05:03 PM
Pennertration

Define breaking point? If you mean not being a fan, I don't have one. I will always cheer for the Oilers.

But I have considered not watching the games. I suppose that's a breaking point. The wife and I are thinking about cancelling cable. The primary reason we have cable is sports and AMC.

Pennertration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2013, 05:04 PM
Oscar Acosta
Bat Country

vCash: 738
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rpro View Post
I've become numb to the losing and even when they win I know it won't continue.
This is exactly it. There's no breaking point to me and the Oilers but this is where my optimism with anything is. I don't get excited for games, I don't go into one ever expecting a win. And I don't see this changing any time soon with the people who run this garbage team.

If they cleaned house and hired hockey people like John Davidson or Peter Chiarelli I would be more excited than them making the playoffs.

Oscar Acosta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2013, 05:06 PM
oiLowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpoon View Post
I hate to say it but emo threads like this are coming closer to driving me away from hockey than anything the Oilers have ever done.
Uh? Perhaps you should ignore it then? Pointless post is pointless. People have a right to be annoyed, angry, fedup, etc. with this team. Perhaps their level of dedication to the Oilers simply surpasses yours?

As for myself, I'm already at the point of "checking scores" I couldn't be bothered to watch this sad excuse of a hockey team and it doesn't shock me that others are at the same point. Just a straight up brutal team this season and sadly it has only just begun...

That said, I could never cheer for another team and the Oilers this bad just makes the NHL far less exciting as whole. From my perspective of course.

oiLowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2013, 05:12 PM
Horseradish

My breaking point of frustration is when all of a sudden it's a thing for Leafs fans to dump on the Oilers. It's equivalent to, like, the Kansas Cit Chiefs fans dumping on NYG fans now that they're finally a decent team and NYG is in the dumps.

I just went over to look at the GDTs of the Canucks and Leafs game on both boards and HFLeafs has a thread with like 10 pages devoted to how and why the Oilers suck.

I could take that from pretty much any fanbase but when it comes from that of an absolutely pathetic franchise like Toronto or Calgary, it really starts to wear on me.

Horseradish is offline   Reply With Quote