HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

The 2014 Draft Prospect Thread: Breaking Blad - "They're Draft picks MacT, Jesus!"

View Poll Results: If the Oilers end up with the #1 overall pick, who would you select?
Sam Reinhart 16 4.92%
Aaron Ekblad 286 88.00%
William Nylander 6 1.85%
Leon Draisaitl 9 2.77%
Other (explain) 8 2.46%
Voters: 325. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
10-30-2013, 02:16 PM
Dabomb

vCash: 500
brainfart for Reinhart

Old
10-30-2013, 02:16 PM
phaedrusDH

vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarDownBobo View Post
I know there are a couple Oil fans out in Ontario who get out to some OHL games, and I've got a question for you guys. How do Aaron Ekblad and Roland McKeown compare? Does McKeown have a chance to challenge Ekblad to be the top defenseman drafted?
this Fronts fan says hell no. previous feedback was spot on. i'd rather try to grab DiPerna in a later round.

Old
10-30-2013, 02:30 PM
phaedrusDH

vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soli View Post
Maybe take a shot at Sam Bennett. He's about 6 feet, so not necessarily big, but by all accounts he's physically aggressive.
Bomb for Bennett!

Bennett is indeed very physically aggressive and doesn't shy away from throwing a hit. In fact I'd say he's a strong hitter and hits hard, he just doesn't go out of his way to throw a big hit. I'm more impressed with his ability to protect the puck with his body. His board play is strong and is complemented well by his net-drive.

Old
10-30-2013, 02:34 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit View Post
I was wondering why it wouldn't let me delete those posts (you're too quick JJ). Anyway, keep it to draft talk in this thread.

If we end up with the top pick either by merit (finishing last) or luck (lottery), I don't care how badly we "need defense", I'm still taking Reinhart. No question.

Plus, it would be fun to see the TSN panel lose their **** if the Oilers took another forward 1st overall.
I don't know, I'm pretty sold on Ekblad, I think he's got the makings of a dominant franchise defenseman. He also already knows the role from having it in the OHL

Old
10-30-2013, 02:55 PM
Soli
Supervision Required

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit View Post
I was wondering why it wouldn't let me delete those posts (you're too quick JJ). Anyway, keep it to draft talk in this thread.

If we end up with the top pick either by merit (finishing last) or luck (lottery), I don't care how badly we "need defense", I'm still taking Reinhart. No question.

Plus, it would be fun to see the TSN panel lose their **** if the Oilers took another forward 1st overall.
Absolutely do not want Reinhart if we're in the position to take him. He's too similar to what we have now. Skilled forward that wont make a physical difference. Gimme the big defensive shutdown defenseman with the bomb of a clapper. I'd be joked if we took Reinhart over Ekblad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoldNewLettuce View Post
rename it soli....

it is your duty.
I assume by the thread you made for me to clean up yesterday and this comment, you're confused about what I do around here.

Old
10-30-2013, 02:58 PM
Soundwave

Pretty sure the Sabres have Reinhart on lockdown anyway, lol.

Old
10-30-2013, 03:01 PM
Hall2Nuge2Ebs

vCash: 50
Ekblad is just too good to pass up on
I bet if we draft him our bottom pairing next season could be Ekblad-Nurse
I would then offer up J.Schultz + 1 of Yakupov/Eberle for a top defenseman. Hopefully someone would bite on that

Old
10-30-2013, 03:04 PM
Soundwave

I honestly don't think we'll be bad enough to draft in the top 5 anyway ... it'll be like last season.

They do deserve to lose games right now, but they are also not getting any bounces or breaks right now, those things tend to even out as the season goes on.

I think our pick will more realistically be in the 6-13 range and I feel pretty confident that they'll deal the pick for immediate help.

Old
10-30-2013, 03:10 PM
Petro Points

vCash: 885
Alright... I think its time to start looking at this thread... where are we at for 1st round probables and what OilKing(s) are we getting this time around?

Michael Dal Colle .. Extended name... He shall be ours.. Nugent-Hopkins, Svenson-Paajarvi, Antoine-Pouliot, Marc-Olivier

Old
10-30-2013, 03:14 PM
BoldNewLettuce
Esquire

vCash: 157
Quote:

I assume by the thread you made for me to clean up yesterday and this comment, you're confused about what I do around here.
You sit up on your gigantic pile of moderator money and insert puns into thread titles?

Last edited by BoldNewLettuce: 10-30-2013 at 03:19 PM. Reason: edit; the question mark was a typo. Please change to period.
Old
10-30-2013, 03:28 PM
Soli
Supervision Required

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoldNewLettuce View Post
You sit up on your gigantic pile of moderator money and insert puns into thread titles?
Alright... you know exactly what I do here.

Old
10-30-2013, 03:30 PM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

I won't cheer for this team if they pass up on Ekblad.

Do the rebuild properly. Trade the pathetic, weak, skilled forwards we've accumulated for a true, number one D-man and some actual veterans to play up front and build the team from the blue line out.

You have Nurse, Klefbom and Marincin in the system, and possibly Ekblad too. Bring in a stud guy and keep Ference and Smid around, and go from there.

Old
10-30-2013, 05:56 PM
jadeddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
I honestly don't think we'll be bad enough to draft in the top 5 anyway ... it'll be like last season.

They do deserve to lose games right now, but they are also not getting any bounces or breaks right now, those things tend to even out as the season goes on.

I think our pick will more realistically be in the 6-13 range and I feel pretty confident that they'll deal the pick for immediate help.
yeah i'm expecting to pick around 10th or so (give or take a couple spots either way).... i don't see us in the lottery, but i don't see us battling for playoffs either... somewhere in between seems right

this, like last year, would be a great year to trade our 1st rounder if we can get some immediate help that isn't a rental (kinda like the schneider trade we just missed out on last draft)

Old
10-30-2013, 06:44 PM
nando2392

Leon Draisaitl! The kid can play, i would take him 1st overall.

Old
10-30-2013, 06:49 PM
DousedInOil

Quote:
Originally Posted by nando2392 View Post
Leon Draisaitl! The kid can play, i would take him 1st overall.
A German first overall? Now that would be something else.

Old
10-30-2013, 06:57 PM
tiger_80

I think we'll be drafting anywhere from 1st to 10th spots, if MacT does not trade the pick. No more wingers please, unless they are big and sufficiently physically developed to supplant one of Eberle/Yakupov/Gagner in the top 6 (in the latter scenario, one of those guys goes in a trade for a defenseman or a good 2C). But ideally, we need a big skilled centerman or another Nurse type D prospect.

Old
10-30-2013, 06:59 PM
oilersfan11

vCash: 50
Aaron Ekblad or bust.

Old
10-30-2013, 07:00 PM
nando2392

Leon got 58 points in 62 games in his rookie season, i think he has good speed and a great mind for the game. German Robots

Old
10-30-2013, 09:39 PM
canovin
Klefbom's charm

Sam Bennett for me. Oilers need more than grit. We need physicality in the top 6.

Old
10-30-2013, 10:23 PM
shogun99

We should have went all in for Jones this past draft. Can you imagine if we landed both Jones and Nurse, that would have sped up the rebuild by a year or 2.

Old
10-30-2013, 10:41 PM
tiger_80

Quote:
Originally Posted by shogun99 View Post
We should have went all in for Jones this past draft. Can you imagine if we landed both Jones and Nurse, that would have sped up the rebuild by a year or 2.
To get a 4th OV, it would likely have taken Yakupov and a significant + (Klefbom, Marincin).
Also, there was no guarantee Jones would be available in that spot. The expectation was he would be taken 2nd overall, leaving one of Barkov and Drouin on board.

Old
10-30-2013, 10:55 PM
Lay Z Boy GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nando2392 View Post
Leon got 58 points in 62 games in his rookie season, i think he has good speed and a great mind for the game. German Robots
The only knock I ever heard on Draisaitl was that he lacked any kind of meaningful speed. Although I haven't kept up with prospects much at all this season. Has he improved his skating?

Old
10-30-2013, 11:13 PM
Up the Irons

vCash: 480
the one only option is to trade the pick for a useful NHLer. I don't care if its 1st overall, if i see Mact up on that podium making the pick I will lose my mind.

TRADE THE F--KING PICK A PLAYER.... FOR ONCE!!!!!!

Old
10-31-2013, 02:22 AM
Soli
Supervision Required

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post

I dunno.

It's not just one thing with us. If it was just goaltender I'd feel that would normalize. It it was just poor defensive play they'd adjust. Some days we can't score a goal if our lives depended on it. Special teams... special indeed.

It's looking like a Sabres, Oilers, Panthers cellar. Carolina and Nashville will have to crawl out when their goaltenders recover. Philly and NYR IMO will rebound. Jersey doesn't matter cause they don't have a pick.

Maybe I'm just rationalizing cause I really want Ekblad. Most cost effective way to grab that top pairing defenseman is through the draft.

Old
10-31-2013, 08:10 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 8345
Quote:
Absolutely do not want Reinhart if we're in the position to take him. He's too similar to what we have now. Skilled forward that wont make a physical difference. Gimme the big defensive shutdown defenseman with the bomb of a clapper. I'd be joked if we took Reinhart over Ekblad.
Sam Reinhart brings a lot of what we need. Besides being a center he is big and doesnt shy away from physical play or dirty areas. Nugent Hopkins and Reinhart and our top six center positions would be set for ten years. It would also allow us to move Gagner and Arcobello for defensive/goalie help.

Closed Thread