HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Luke Schenn

Old
10-28-2013, 12:43 PM
tymed

vCash: 500
Well Schenn was far and away one of our top couple of d-men last year, we all know that. While I can say that I've also noticed him too often looking a thought behind in the defensive end when being forechecked, I'm also inclined to believe that this is in large part due to complete lack of cohesion in team defense in the first handful of games. As our break-out puck support has continuously gotten better, the confidence of our defense on these split second plays seems to be gaining.

Berube is in the midst of implementing a system that is very responsible on our side of the puck and confusion amongst player assignments and break-out positions is inevitable.

Schenn has plenty of improvements to make and he likely will if things continue in the right direction for the team as a whole.

tymed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2013, 12:47 PM
Appleyard

vCash: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Also, Coburn spending a lot of that time on a very good playoff team with good offense, and Schenn spending it on a trainwreck.*

*While being told to play like a flamingo and with blindness in one eye
Ofc... I mean that is the only reason a right handed D man would ever play right d ... as HE IS COMPLETELY BLIND IN HIS RIGHT EYE...

That goal he scored this year literally was the greatest goal ever then if those TO fans were to be believed, as he went round a guy and put the puck in the net while not being able to see anything. Senses of a bat.

Lmao at that whole thread.

Appleyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2013, 12:49 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Appleyard View Post
Ofc... I mean that is the only reason a right handed D man would ever play right d ... as HE IS COMPLETELY BLIND IN HIS RIGHT EYE...

That goal he scored this year literally was the greatest goal ever then if those TO fans were to be believed, as he went round a guy and put the puck in the net while not being able to see anything. Senses of a bat.

Lmao at that whole thread.
I thought I did hear him screeching as he moved in to echo-locate the net.

10-28-2013, 12:58 PM
Protest
C`est La Vie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
I thought I did hear him screeching as he moved in to echo-locate the net.
Son of a *****, I can't stop visualizing him screeching like a friggin pterodactyl.

Protest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2013, 01:09 PM
lancer247

Maybe i am blind (like Schenn is according to TOR fans) but I don't see him playing that poorly. His errors aren't any worse or more frquent then any other defender.

I actually thought he played really Sat. I think he plays better with more minutes. The mistakes he makes aren't from panicking with the puck but from poor judgement which can improve with experience.

Worse case scenario, the Flyers have a Jason Smith or Luke Richardson type d man for the next decade (leadership, tough, character) but Schenn already has better offensive skills then both of them.

lancer247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2013, 01:56 PM
Wolfgang Krauser
LETS BURN IT UP

If JVR hadn't emerged into the stud he's playing like in TO, you'd never hear about Schenn's struggles.

Wolfgang Krauser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2013, 02:05 PM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfgang Krauser View Post
If JVR hadn't emerged into the stud he's playing like in TO, you'd never hear about Schenn's struggles.
100% agreed, at least from other fanbases.

10-28-2013, 02:13 PM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfgang Krauser View Post
This. People need to isolate Luke from JVR in their minds and just evaluate players objectively (this also applies to B Schenn IMO being one of the main pieces in the Richards trade).

Honestly if people think Luke's been that terrible they need to pay closer attention to Coburn, Kimmo and Grossmann who have all been just as bad in their own zone if not worse at times. The only reason they aren't getting the same attention is because Dreger didn't write an article about them and they are getting more ice time compared to Schenn (which obviously isn't a great indication of performance considering a guy who avg'd about 3 minutes more per game is a healthy scratch for 5 consecutive games while Luke is still playing).

He's only 23 and has a few years of learning (from guys like Pronger and Hatcher) before hitting his prime. I'm not worried about him one bit. As the season goes on he'll get more ice time and someone like Dreger will write another article about how he's thriving under Chief or something and magically everyone will shut up about him, mark my words.

FlyersFan61290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2013, 02:15 PM
AaronTrieu

We don't have a top tier dman on this team. Comparing schenn to other teams 3-4 dmen and he isn't bad. He's still young. I think he will get better over the next two seasons.

AaronTrieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2013, 02:32 PM
jabba2
Just say no to Clowe

He looked pretty decent last year. He needs to lose some weight or muscle and add some agility. He would get more minutes that way. I think he'll recover.

jabba2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2013, 03:34 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronTrieu View Post
We don't have a top tier dman on this team. Comparing schenn to other teams 3-4 dmen and he isn't bad. He's still young. I think he will get better over the next two seasons.
I think this is spot on. I don't think Schenn is a #1 defender by any stretch, nor do I think he ever will be. But I think he could be a top tier shutdown defender. A guy who could play a nice compliment to a more offensive-minded defenseman. Maybe in a couple years he could be a partner for a guy like Haag or Ghost. Let them handle the offensive duties and let Schenn bail them out on the defensive side. Or, put him out there with an equally defensive-minded type of player and just have a tough, bruising pair that handles the tough minutes.

DrinkFightFlyers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2013, 03:45 PM
dookie88

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer247 View Post
Maybe i am blind (like Schenn is according to TOR fans) but I don't see him playing that poorly. His errors aren't any worse or more frquent then any other defender.

I actually thought he played really Sat. I think he plays better with more minutes. The mistakes he makes aren't from panicking with the puck but from poor judgement which can improve with experience.

Worse case scenario, the Flyers have a Jason Smith or Luke Richardson type d man for the next decade (leadership, tough, character) but Schenn already has better offensive skills then both of them.
I think Schenn is one of the most underrated passer in the league.
Everybody thinks he's only a bruiser who can't do anything with the puck. While that may be true in terms of carrying it, he's probably our second best outlet-passer after Streit. You rarely see him not getting it tape-to-tape.

dookie88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2013, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
Substitute Grossman for Schenn. Then compare TOI stats. Grossman is and will only ever be a shutdown dman. Yet He plays more minutes than Schenn.
Did you not see him during that breakaway on the island? Guy's got sick sniper hands.

1865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 06:43 AM
Dio666

I think you guys are hard on Luke. He's still young.

Dio666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 07:36 AM
bennysflyers16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dio666 View Post
I think you guys are hard on Luke. He's still young.
Agree, people are looking for a scapegoat and he is the sexy new candidate. Least of our worries on D right now.

bennysflyers16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 09:52 AM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 769
I thought he played good last night, but the entire team looks lost most of the time

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 04:16 PM
Flyerss

vCash: 147
Just by looking at his junior stats the Leafs are dumb if they thought he would become a 1Dman, franchise Dman come with the full package.

He will be a very good shutdown top 4dman with a cheap cap hit we should lock him before he turns into something special and cost us alot

Flyerss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 04:33 PM
Codith

He is a second pairing guy who does a lot of little things well, probably out best dman, but still a 2nd pairing guy and that is where the problems lay with this team

Codith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 05:36 PM
jabba2
Just say no to Clowe

If he can improve his quickness so he can join the rush, he would be a much better player.

jabba2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2013, 01:14 AM
phlocky

I told you guys before that we'd regret that trade. JVR has 1st line upside while Luke is most likely just a 2nd pairing dman.

I also told you guys that much of Luke looking so good last year was because of being paired with Timonen. Where are all the guys who said I was wrong, didn't know anything, and that Luke was a legit #2 man RIGHT NOW???

phlocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2013, 01:39 AM
captainpaxil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codith View Post
He is a second pairing guy who does a lot of little things well, probably out best dman, but still a 2nd pairing guy and that is where the problems lay with this team
i think they run from 2/3 to 4/5 but thats a problem too. theres no stud #1 to carry them and no 6 to blame everything on. our 7 is really just another of those guys but injured. i like that chief is keeping the minutes close because if the dcore is gonna work it has to have solid chemistry.

captainpaxil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2013, 02:29 AM
Ryker

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlocky View Post
I told you guys before that we'd regret that trade. JVR has 1st line upside while Luke is most likely just a 2nd pairing dman.

I also told you guys that much of Luke looking so good last year was because of being paired with Timonen. Where are all the guys who said I was wrong, didn't know anything, and that Luke was a legit #2 man RIGHT NOW???
Who cares what their upside is, it's what they actually bring. Admittedly, JVR is currently showing a lot. I'm still convinced he never would've brought that out had he stayed here, because he just wouldn't get the same opportunity. So I'd rather have a 2nd pairing man than a guy that has the "offensive upside", but never shows it.

Also, who cares what you told us?

Ryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2013, 07:45 AM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlocky View Post

Tell me what you thought about when you were gone and so alone

JDinkalage Morgoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2013, 08:14 AM
Protest
C`est La Vie

Schenn is a Top 4 dman, and getting them is always a good idea, but they should not have traded Jvr for him. I said it the day of the trade, he was the only person on the team that could fill the #1 winger spot we needed to play with Giroux. He was ready to turn the corner, but injuries severely limited him in his last year here.

I'm glad Schenn has been a solid player because I was expecting him to suck, but I'll probably always be pissed that they traded Jvr for him.

Protest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2013, 08:31 AM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protest View Post
Schenn is a Top 4 dman, and getting them is always a good idea, but they should not have traded Jvr for him. I said it the day of the trade, he was the only person on the team that could fill the #1 winger spot we needed to play with Giroux. He was ready to turn the corner, but injuries severely limited him in his last year here.

I'm glad Schenn has been a solid player because I was expecting him to suck, but I'll probably always be pissed that they traded Jvr for him.
I understand your feelings and I agree I wish they had packaged him for a better defensemen, maybe Yandle which IIRC was the rumor, but I'm fine with Luke. It's the past now anyway, no sense lamenting what could've been!

JDinkalage Morgoone is offline   Reply With Quote