HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Joe Battista

Old
10-31-2013, 08:50 AM
Ethan Edwards

vCash: 500
Joe Battista

I didn't see this posted elsewhere (apologies if I'm duplicating), but I think it's a very interesting, easy to overlook, move for the Sabres and is worth mentioning. Joe Battista is leaving as Penn State's Associate AD for hockey related activities for Terry Pegula's company:

From Penn Live: “I will be responsible for hockey development and strategic initiatives across the entire spectrum of the Pegula’s hockey organizations,” Battista’s statement explained. “I will work in collaboration with Buffalo Sabres President Ted Black, General Manager Darcy Reiger, and Chief Development Officer Cliff Benson, as well as HarborCenter CEO John Koelmel to maximize communication and to coordinate, implement, and optimize all our hockey related business."

I'm not sure how much of an impact that will have on the on-ice product for the Sabres, but he is a fixture at Penn State, local hockey royalty, and will be missed. But irrespective of what the above quote actually translates to, he's a great pick-up for the Sabres. This guy knows hockey, both the business side and the on-ice side, something arguably lacking within the Pegula enterprise if you look at his crew individually. I hope this works out in Buffalo's favor moving forward as I know Pegula values Joe B.'s opinion on all facets of hockey matters.

http://www.pennlive.com/sports/index.../post_378.html

Ethan Edwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2013, 12:13 PM
Beerz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan Edwards View Post
I didn't see this posted elsewhere (apologies if I'm duplicating), but I think it's a very interesting, easy to overlook, move for the Sabres and is worth mentioning. Joe Battista is leaving as Penn State's Associate AD for hockey related activities for Terry Pegula's company:

From Penn Live: “I will be responsible for hockey development and strategic initiatives across the entire spectrum of the Pegula’s hockey organizations,” Battista’s statement explained. “I will work in collaboration with Buffalo Sabres President Ted Black, General Manager Darcy Reiger, and Chief Development Officer Cliff Benson, as well as HarborCenter CEO John Koelmel to maximize communication and to coordinate, implement, and optimize all our hockey related business."

I'm not sure how much of an impact that will have on the on-ice product for the Sabres, but he is a fixture at Penn State, local hockey royalty, and will be missed. But irrespective of what the above quote actually translates to, he's a great pick-up for the Sabres. This guy knows hockey, both the business side and the on-ice side, something arguably lacking within the Pegula enterprise if you look at his crew individually. I hope this works out in Buffalo's favor moving forward as I know Pegula values Joe B.'s opinion on all facets of hockey matters.

http://www.pennlive.com/sports/index.../post_378.html
Interesting... I don't know squat about this guy but the more hockey brains the better I say.

Beerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2013, 12:23 PM
Crazy Tasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerz View Post
Interesting... I don't know squat about this guy but the more hockey brains the better I say.
Agreed. I've never heard of him, but we can't hate extra builders in the org.

Crazy Tasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2013, 12:42 PM
Ethan Edwards

This move may very well have ZERO impact on the Sabres, I don't know. But yeah, he's a definite asset to the organization and, depending on how he's utilized, could provide an interesting internal dynamic. He has serious business AND hockey chops.

He's not well known outside of central PA, so I can provide a little background. He's an original founder and developer of the ACHA and coached what was one of the best club teams of them all at Penn State (six championships). I believe he has held various hockey business positions with the Pittsburgh Penguins (shock!) over the years, but I'm more familiar with his PSU work. He is regarded by many as the main driver in bringing hockey to Penn State, including the development of the new arena at University Park and landing the outstanding Guy Gadowsky as head coach. This quick description probably doesn't do his many talents justice, but I can say that his hockey acumen (all facets, including a very, very good eye for talent) is held in high esteem by many with far more knowledge than me, and I'm pretty sharp! (j/k)

Ethan Edwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2013, 12:48 PM
Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

vCash: 50
Sounds good

Paxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2013, 04:54 PM
Bosswally

Quote:
This move may very well have ZERO impact on the Sabres, I don't know. But yeah, he's a definite asset to the organization and, depending on how he's utilized, could provide an interesting internal dynamic. He has serious business AND hockey chops.

He's not well known outside of central PA, so I can provide a little background. He's an original founder and developer of the ACHA and coached what was one of the best club teams of them all at Penn State (six championships). I believe he has held various hockey business positions with the Pittsburgh Penguins (shock!) over the years, but I'm more familiar with his PSU work. He is regarded by many as the main driver in bringing hockey to Penn State, including the development of the new arena at University Park and landing the outstanding Guy Gadowsky as head coach. This quick description probably doesn't do his many talents justice, but I can say that his hockey acumen (all facets, including a very, very good eye for talent) is held in high esteem by many with far more knowledge than me, and I'm pretty sharp! (j/k)
ya this move will probably affect the hockey academy more so than the Sabres

Bosswally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2013, 03:53 AM
Jacob582

Quote:
I guess we now know that his hire will not have ZERO impact on the Sabres. As you state/quote in the GM thread: Battista has a hand with Pat L. in hiring the new GM.

I find it interesting that Darcy was fired less than a week after Battista started employment with Pegula. I'm betting Pegula asked him for help cleaning up this mess. Darcy and Ron probably saw the writing on the wall.

Jacob582 is offline   Reply With Quote