HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Notices

Blues in the Olympics

Old
10-31-2013, 10:04 AM
Dolph Ziggler
IC Champion

vCash: 50
Blues in the Olympics

Strickland just tweeted this, this morning

Quote:
Congrats to Alex Steen who has officially been named to Sweden's Olympic team...currently leading #NHL in goals #stlblues #sweden
https://twitter.com/andystrickland/s...14304332906496

Man deserves it. Didn't see an Olympic thread so could use this as we learn more names or just discuss the possibility.

Last edited by Dolph Ziggler: 10-31-2013 at 10:10 AM.
Dolph Ziggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2013, 10:37 AM
Stealth JD
Drexel's dead!!!

vCash: 500
Pretty ****** that he wasn't already a lock...but congrats to Steen nonetheless.

I'm a little worried about the number of guys participating...more than half of the regular line-up is going to be in Sochi. That's only going to increase the odds of somebody getting hurt.

Last edited by MattyMo35: 10-31-2013 at 11:22 AM.
Stealth JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2013, 10:42 AM
Dolph Ziggler
IC Champion

I am too but I'd never want to tell a guy no for wanting to represent his country.

How many people do you think we're looking at? I'd say Backes, Steen, Pietrangelo, Polak and Halak are locks with Shattenkirk, Sobotka, Bouwmeester and Oshie having decent chances as well.

Am I forgetting anyone?

Old
10-31-2013, 10:53 AM
Alklha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falco Lombardi View Post
I am too but I'd never want to tell a guy no for wanting to represent his country.

How many people do you think we're looking at? I'd say Backes, Steen, Pietrangelo, Polak and Halak are locks with Shattenkirk, Sobotka, Bouwmeester and Oshie having decent chances as well.

Am I forgetting anyone?
I'd say Sobotka is a lock, and despite the depth on the Canadian team Bouwmeester is very close to being a lock considering he is LHD.

You forgot Berglund, who is pretty certain to make the Sweden roster. Tarasenko also has a decent chance of making the Russian team, he is probably ahead of Kuznetsov and Yakupov at the moment for one of the final spots.

Alklha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2013, 10:57 AM
Dolph Ziggler
IC Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alklha View Post
I'd say Sobotka is a lock, and despite the depth on the Canadian team Bouwmeester is very close to being a lock considering he is LHD.

You forgot Berglund, who is pretty certain to make the Sweden roster. Tarasenko also has a decent chance of making the Russian team, he is probably ahead of Kuznetsov and Yakupov at the moment for one of the final spots.
Tarasenko is the name I felt like I was forgetting. Hadn't really considered Berglund, but I guess that makes sense.

Old
10-31-2013, 11:14 AM
Alklha

I can understand forgetting Berglund. When it comes to talent at an international level you don't really think of Berglund as the #3C of a team like Sweden. What they lack in talent, in comparison to some others, they make up with being an excellent team unit.

Old
10-31-2013, 11:15 AM
Stealth JD
Drexel's dead!!!

Petro, J-Bo, Shatty, Polak (4 of 6 d-men)
Halak (1 of 2 goalies)
Backes, Berglund, Sobotka, Steen, Tarasenko (5 of 12 forwards)

outside chance - Oshie

So, 10...maybe 11 of the regular 20 to get dressed. Injury waiting to happen.

Stealth JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2013, 11:22 AM
Vladys Gumption

Quote:

Am I forgetting anyone?
The way Bouwmeester is playing with Petro, Id think there's a damn good chance he makes the team and plays with Petro. Just like Keith-Seabrook in 2010. If have to think Shattenkirk has a very good chance given the big ice. The US can't afford to have stay at home guys that can't skate like Orpik this time.

Vladys Gumption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2013, 11:31 AM
MattyMo35
Schwartz Be With You

Congrats to Steen. Even without this ridiculous start, they would've been blind to leave him off the team. The guy is a gamer.

I echo the sentiments that Backes, Petro, Soby, Halak, and Polak are locks. I don't think there's any way they're left off. The two I would add to being almost locks are JBo and Shatty. Both guys are great skaters, and that is important on international ice. Also, JBo has the luxury of being paired with Petro full-time, so Babcock could rely on them having plenty of chemistry. I don't think there is a Canadian LHDs that fits better with Pietrangelo. I'm not entirely sure about Oshie. I think he has a pretty solid chance, but team USA is deeper than it used to be. Some forwards off the top of my head that should be locks are Kessel, Kesler, Backes, Kane, Brown, Parise, Callahan, Pavelski, and Ryan. I'm sure there are others I'm forgetting, but that alone is 9 guys. Oshie will have to battle with guys like JVR, Wheeler, Galchenyuk etc. I think he'll make it, but he's not a lock at this point.

MattyMo35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2013, 11:48 AM
Dolph Ziggler
IC Champion

I'd say Stastny should still be in pretty good consideration as well for USA.

Oshie's skill set does seem a bit redundant on Team USA

Old
10-31-2013, 12:17 PM
Vladys Gumption

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyMo35 View Post
Congrats to Steen. Even without this ridiculous start, they would've been blind to leave him off the team. The guy is a gamer.

I echo the sentiments that Backes, Petro, Soby, Halak, and Polak are locks. I don't think there's any way they're left off. The two I would add to being almost locks are JBo and Shatty. Both guys are great skaters, and that is important on international ice. Also, JBo has the luxury of being paired with Petro full-time, so Babcock could rely on them having plenty of chemistry. I don't think there is a Canadian LHDs that fits better with Pietrangelo. I'm not entirely sure about Oshie. I think he has a pretty solid chance, but team USA is deeper than it used to be. Some forwards off the top of my head that should be locks are Kessel, Kesler, Backes, Kane, Brown, Parise, Callahan, Pavelski, and Ryan. I'm sure there are others I'm forgetting, but that alone is 9 guys. Oshie will have to battle with guys like JVR, Wheeler, Galchenyuk etc. I think he'll make it, but he's not a lock at this point.
I think he's got a good shot because of his style of play. guys like JVR, Wheeler, and Galchenyuk are more skill style players. Osh has skill, but he can play that lower line, grinding style. If want to roll with a grind it out fourth line, I think he'd be a great choice. Plus he's excellent defensively so that should help him.

Vladys Gumption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2013, 01:23 PM
CarvinSigX

vCash: 2616
Oshie should have a chance because of his chemistry with Backes, if nothing else.

CarvinSigX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2013, 06:03 PM
BlueDream

Congrats to Steen. He was always going to make it but it's impressive that he's already been guaranteed. What a player.

Seeing Bouwmeester and Pietrangelo together at the Olympics would be sick. Would definitely make it easier seeing Canada win gold (if they do).

Backes is a lock for USA. Shattenkirk I think has a good chance. I'd be happy if 2 players made USA as well. Oshie has an okay chance, and his 10 points so far should help, but Team USA has a lot of depth so he'll be battling a lot of guys for the final 13th/14th spot I think.

BlueDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2013, 10:28 PM
taylord22

Oshie is appearing on most of the recent lists that I've seen. His ability to gain the line and maintain a cycle will be very appealing to the way USA will play their game. At this point, I think he's ahead of guys like Pacioretty, Galchenyuk, and maybe even Pominville given his chemistry with Backes.

Parise Kesler Kane
Van Riemsdyk Pavelski Kessel
Ryan Backes Oshie
Callahan* Stepan Brown

Extras: Pominville*, Wheeler, Galchenyuk

I haven't paid much attention to the Russian roster projections. I always thought Tarasenko would be a near lock to play on the 3rd line. Does anyone have any insight?

Last edited by taylord22: 10-31-2013 at 10:34 PM.
taylord22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2013, 10:47 PM
Alklha

Tarasenko looks more and more likely to make the team every day. He should have moved ahead of Kuznetsov and Yakupov for consideration. A few higher profile KHL players aren't likely to be taken (Mozyakin). It really depends on the likes of Tikhonov, Kokarev and Perezhogin as to where he ends up.

Third line is a good possibility, if they use Radulov as a C (unlikely) then there is a chance he could find himself next to Malkin. Honestly, the Russian lineup is the most difficult to project.

Old
11-01-2013, 12:14 AM
OCTA8ON

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylord22 View Post
Oshie is appearing on most of the recent lists that I've seen. His ability to gain the line and maintain a cycle will be very appealing to the way USA will play their game. At this point, I think he's ahead of guys like Pacioretty, Galchenyuk, and maybe even Pominville given his chemistry with Backes.

Parise Kesler Kane
Ryan Backes Oshie
Callahan* Stepan Brown

I haven't paid much attention to the Russian roster projections. I always thought Tarasenko would be a near lock to play on the 3rd line. Does anyone have any insight?
You're thinking too much into this.

OCTA8ON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2013, 12:41 AM
taylord22

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCTA8ON View Post
You're thinking too much into this.
I dont think so. Have you seen the D that Canada is rolling with? Do you think the US has a chance of whipping the puck around like Russia or Canada? They can't compete in that game. Burke and Bylsma repeatedly used the phrase "heavy" when discussing philosophy, and Bylsma is not the type of guy to stack lines based on stat sheets. Though, in fairness, he has what you might call a luxury in how he stacks his NHL team's lines

Oshie is the superior forechecker of the guys he'll likely be pitted up against. Most of the McKenzie, Mcguire, Hradek, LeBrun, etc., speculation has it as being a primary focus of Poile (and the rest of the squad) in assembling the team.

Basically, I'm not just pulling this out of thin air. I'm stealing it

taylord22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2013, 04:42 AM
Robb_K

Quote:

Parise Kesler Kane
Ryan Backes Oshie
Callahan* Stepan Brown

I'd put him in over Wheeler, too. He's a better all-around player for their 3rd and 4th line, and their PK.

Robb_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2013, 09:49 AM
OCTA8ON

Quote:
I dont think so. Have you seen the D that Canada is rolling with? Do you think the US has a chance of whipping the puck around like Russia or Canada? They can't compete in that game. Burke and Bylsma repeatedly used the phrase "heavy" when discussing philosophy, and Bylsma is not the type of guy to stack lines based on stat sheets. Though, in fairness, he has what you might call a luxury in how he stacks his NHL team's lines

Oshie is the superior forechecker of the guys he'll likely be pitted up against. Most of the McKenzie, Mcguire, Hradek, LeBrun, etc., speculation has it as being a primary focus of Poile (and the rest of the squad) in assembling the team.

Basically, I'm not just pulling this out of thin air. I'm stealing it
Haha I know the D Canada is rolling with, and it's going to be ridiculous. That being said, I think too many people on this forum neglect that Team USA is simply looking for the best players. Having grown up playing hockey my entire life, I have never seen a scout or coach analyze specific plays that players tend to do and envision those players performing those particular plays in future games. That just doesn't happen and usually leads to disappointment. It's like attempting to plan specific moves the players are going to do before a game on their opponents. The game of hockey offers too many other opportunities to occur.

You can say oshie is a good forchecker, backchecker, skater, shooter, passer, etc. But when you start talking about how he is going to cycle the puck against teams, then that's looking for a specific play to occur, which is unlikely at any significant frequency to begin with. Hence: Looking too much into it.

OCTA8ON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2013, 12:30 PM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

vCash: 714
I'm just waiting for Backes to throw the gloves down with Pietro in a game prior to the Olympics.

2 Minute Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2013, 01:21 PM
Dolph Ziggler
IC Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Minute Minor View Post
I'm just waiting for Backes to throw the gloves down with Pietro in a game prior to the Olympics.
It's all fun and games until Oshie steps in and breaks his ankle in the process.

Old
11-02-2013, 08:00 AM
Tomas W

Quote:
Strickland just tweeted this, this morning

https://twitter.com/andystrickland/s...14304332906496

Man deserves it. Didn't see an Olympic thread so could use this as we learn more names or just discuss the possibility.
Official and official. The official roster isnt out yet, but he has been told by the Swedish coach that's he's a lock to be on the team and can look forward to play a lot of minutes and they've discussed details like who he's likely to play with (why not with Zetterberg, could work) . So I guess it kind of official.

Tomas W is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2013, 10:17 AM
MattyMo35
Schwartz Be With You

Who would play the right side of a Steen-Zetterberg tandem? Alfie? Franzen? Hornqvist? Eriksson(does he play RW at all?)

MattyMo35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2013, 11:14 AM
Tomas W

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyMo35 View Post
Who would play the right side of a Steen-Zetterberg tandem? Alfie? Franzen? Hornqvist? Eriksson(does he play RW at all?)
Alfie or Franzén perhaps, although Franzén cant be considered a lock. Loui might play with the Sedins. Of course if Berglund makes the team he might play with Steen. The swe coach probably like the idea ofta putting teammates together, but Bergs need to show up in the scoresheet a bit more. Horny is a righty so maybe him aswell yes although I dont think every line have to have a righty. Hornquist could be a pretty good fit though.

Last edited by Tomas W: 11-02-2013 at 11:28 AM.
Tomas W is online now   Reply With Quote