HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Managers Address end of the year MacT

Closed Thread

Old
10-31-2013, 11:07 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
I suggest you tell this to MacT not us. While you are at it post the MacT/Vince McMahon strut.
Ok I guess, not sure what the strut gif has to do with anything. Besides, Mac-T doesn't assume it's simple process, like the masses here tend to.

Old
10-31-2013, 11:21 AM
Beerfish

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
Ok I guess, not sure what the strut gif has to do with anything. Besides, Mac-T doesn't assume it's simple process, like the masses here tend to.
He sure did when he 1st got the job. Only now after failing at big moves at the draft and other moves is he seeing that it's not that easy. MacT totally set up all sorts of expectations with his style and comments when taking the job. Now he is being given credit for being exactly what Tambo was?

Blaming the fans for things being put forth by the team has become a great pass time over he years. This goes right back to "We are open for business!"

Old
10-31-2013, 11:22 AM
okgooil
HFBoards Sponsor

I don't know how any one blames Mac T. He got rid of Horcoff's contract, he signed Gordon and Ference, both have been solid, traded for Perron. I mean the only thing you can question is Labarberra.

I think it is amazing this team continues to struggle despite the fact Mac T did so much to address our needs.

Old
10-31-2013, 11:22 AM
rboomercat90

vCash: 234
Quote:
I see the failure here, the assumption some of you are making that it was going to be Both Easy and Happen Over Night.

Try adjusting your view for Reality, then it will all make more sense.
Mactavish was the one who failed to adjust his view for reality when he not only made his "bold moves" speech but also his "this is what we're going to get done at the draft speech" the day before. Don't rag on the fans that thought he sounded like a jack ass then and are now demanding some accountability from the rookie gm.

Old
10-31-2013, 11:27 AM
rboomercat90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro Points View Post
If by cooled off you mean 2nd most faceoff wins in NHL and most blocked shots by a forward then sure.. He is also at a 20% shooting %. and 60%+ on the dot.

Dont buy the too soon to evaluate... We have seen enough to know that he is an upgrade over anyone on the bottom pairing. The fact that he has been getting more ice time than Smid and has been playing better than both Ference and Smid makes this a 'good' signing.

Ference is a veteran player that we need more of... Nothing special but good enough to a be a top 4 Dman.. You cant say that signing him was a bad management decision.

Joensuu when healthy was a beast ... Cant call it a bad pickup either..

The complainers are going to complain and pick fault in everyone.. MacT has done a good enough job so far when comparing to other GMs.

Sure he could have dangled Hall when Seguin was on the block.. The complainers would have still moaned.. There is no pleasing everyone..
Mactavish has done a good enough job compared to all the other GM's whose teams are sitting with a 3-9-2 record.

Old
10-31-2013, 11:29 AM
Petro Points

vCash: 885
Quote:
Originally Posted by rboomercat90 View Post
Mactavish was the one who failed to adjust his view for reality when he not only made his "bold moves" speech but also his "this is what we're going to get done at the draft speech" the day before. Don't rag on the fans that thought he sounded like a jack ass then and are now demanding some accountability from the rookie gm.
He did come out and 'adjust' his stance before the start of preseason. I also dont buy that he came across as a jack ass.. He let his intentions know to the other GMs by saying it publically and probably got a lot more response due to it.

I am sure Horcoff wouldve still be an Oiler if MacT didnt publically announce his intentions.

Old
10-31-2013, 11:34 AM
Petro Points

vCash: 885
Quote:
Mactavish has done a good enough job compared to all the other GM's whose teams are sitting with a 3-9-2 record.
so you are saying that Flames GM has improved his team more just because they are sitting higher in the standings?

Old
10-31-2013, 11:47 AM
rboomercat90

Quote:
so you are saying that Flames GM has improved his team more just because they are sitting higher in the standings?
I couldn't care less where the Flames are sitting in the standings. I'm worried about where the Oilers are. Where is all this evidence that Mactavish has improved this team? Same holes are still there and now he's brought in a coach that's tinkered with his top of the league power play and now they can't score to save their lives. That power play was one of the only reasons that kept them in games last year. This team is only as good as it's record, it isn't a tweak or two away from turning the corner.
Mactavish may have had good intentions back in April when he took this job. He may have tried to do some things in the summer but he failed. Failed big time because this team IS worse than it was last year. Maybe he figures things out and next year or the year after that things get better. It will be at that point when you can say he's doing a good job but you sure can't say it now with any degree of honesty.

Old
10-31-2013, 11:48 AM
Master Lok

Quote:
BOLD!
Impatient.
No excuses!
No longer a young team.

If you can't see the change in what he said in the 1st interview and now, when he sounds 100% like Tambo I don't know what to say.
Would you be happier then if MacT was impatient and made a bad trade to address short term issues (injuries)?

Like trading Yakupov for Ryan Miller?

I don't see how making bad long term moves, would improve the team.

Injuries have happened - losing Gagner unexpectedly hurt.

Losing all four left wingers (Hall, Perron, Jonesuu, Smyth) impacted the Oilers against the Leafs last night, and three of those players have been injured for a while now.

Old
10-31-2013, 11:50 AM
Master Lok

Quote:
Mactavish may have had good intentions back in April when he took this job. He may have tried to do some things in the summer but he failed. Failed big time because this team IS worse than it was last time. Maybe he figures things out and next year or the year after that things get better. It will be at that point when you can say he's doing a good job but you sure can't say it now with any degree of honesty.
Really - how do you determine that the team is worse than last year?

Do you take into consideration the injuries? Did we start the season last year without our top two centres? Did we lose three of our top four left wingers in the first 15 games last year?

Old
10-31-2013, 12:11 PM
Psychoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Lok View Post
Would you be happier then if MacT was impatient and made a bad trade to address short term issues (injuries)?

Losing all four left wingers (Hall, Perron, Jonesuu, Smyth) impacted the Oilers against the Leafs last night, and three of those players have been injured for a while now.
To answer your first question. Yes. I'd rather lose a trade than do nothing cus we need a change of personel here

Old
10-31-2013, 12:32 PM
Beerfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by okgooil View Post
I don't know how any one blames Mac T. He got rid of Horcoff's contract, he signed Gordon and Ference, both have been solid, traded for Perron. I mean the only thing you can question is Labarberra.

I think it is amazing this team continues to struggle despite the fact Mac T did so much to address our needs.
The big holes on this team were no size in the top 6 and no top end Dman. He made a lot of 'bold' statements and provided the team with the same type of thing Tambo did each year. Bottom end guys that were supposed to make a big difference. MacT and eakins are going to wear the record of this team for whatever reason.

Old
10-31-2013, 12:33 PM
Beerfish

Quote:
He did come out and 'adjust' his stance before the start of preseason. I also dont buy that he came across as a jack ass.. He let his intentions know to the other GMs by saying it publically and probably got a lot more response due to it.

I am sure Horcoff wouldve still be an Oiler if MacT didnt publically announce his intentions.

Yeah Hemsky as well......oh...wait....

Old
10-31-2013, 12:36 PM
Beerfish

Master Lok;Would you be happier then if MacT was impatient and made a bad trade to address short term issues (injuries)?

Why did we fire Tambo?

Why did we fire Tambo?

Excuses, never a shortage of them, especially when other teams have injuries and don't fall off the face of the earth.

See above. this team has played like shi* when 100% totally healthy. RNH comes back, crap team. Gagner comes back, crap team.

Old
10-31-2013, 12:53 PM
Tad Mikowsky
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychoil View Post
To answer your first question. Yes. I'd rather lose a trade than do nothing cus we need a change of personel here
And thank god you aren't a gm of an organization.

Old
10-31-2013, 01:27 PM
rboomercat90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Lok View Post
Really - how do you determine that the team is worse than last year?

Do you take into consideration the injuries? Did we start the season last year without our top two centres? Did we lose three of our top four left wingers in the first 15 games last year?
This team wasn't very good with our top two centers in the lineup. They were both getting their lunch money stolen by other teams top lines on a regular basis anyway. That's why so many of us have been saying a one two punch of Nugent-Hopkins and Gagner was never going to get this team anywhere. Arcobello was playing a much better two way game than Gagner has played anyway. As far as the left wingers go, losing Hall doesn't help the team but they only won one game when he was in the lineup anyway. Perron has missed one game. Can't blame injuries on him. How much impact did anybody expect Ryan Smyth to have this year? People were begging him to retire.
Injuries are just a convenient excuse. Every team in the league finds a way to deal with them except for us. This team isn't very good right now and that's the reason our record is so bad. Let's hold off on the praising of Mactavish until, if, he actually accomplishes something here and we see actual evidence of it on the ice.

Old
10-31-2013, 01:29 PM
Moose Coleman

Quote:
Injuries are just a convenient excuse. Every team in the league finds a way to deal with them except for us. This team isn't very good right now and that's the reason our record is so bad. Let's hold off on the praising of Mactavish until, if, he actually accomplishes something here and we see actual evidence of it on the ice.
But it's never too early to start blaming him, right?

Old
10-31-2013, 01:31 PM
Moose Coleman

Quote:
See above. this team has played like shi* when 100% totally healthy. RNH comes back, crap team. Gagner comes back, crap team.
They haven't been 100% healthy.

Old
10-31-2013, 01:34 PM
Dorian2
The bag don't lie.

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by okgooil View Post

Hear hear

And Beerfish, maybe you should start bellyaching about the players themselves instead of this constant, non stop barrage of bullets at the GM and coach. Some of these players are just as much to blame, if not more, than MacT and Eakins. You're coming across like someone who just hates management in general, no matter who it is.

Last edited by Dorian2: 10-31-2013 at 01:40 PM.
Old
10-31-2013, 01:41 PM
Tarus
Fire Mact

Quote:
Actually, it's pretty obvious that Mact did think it was a simple process. Gone is the arrogant blustering about making bold moves and being impatient, as if other GMs were just going to bend over backward to help him out, or players would be clambering to choose Edmonton over 29 other teams.

It's been replaced by rhetoric reminiscent of Tambellini about not losing trades, being patient, and looking at the long game - all indicators that he suffered some rude awakenings about the realities of running this franchise over the summer.

Old
10-31-2013, 02:08 PM
Beerfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Coleman View Post
But it's never too early to start blaming him, right?
MacT is the one that said he was going to make big moves, not use youth as an excuse, make bold moves, change the dynamic of the team.

Literally this team could finish last in the league 20 years in a row and as long as they changed the coach or the gm every second year some people would be happy and buy the line that the next one is going to lead us to the promised land.

All this team had to do coming out of the gate to get any leeway at all was to be mediocre, not stink to the tune of bottom 3 in the league.

Old
10-31-2013, 02:13 PM
Beerfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Coleman View Post
They haven't been 100% healthy.
What would be your estimation of the number of teams in this league over a year that are 100% healthy for more than 5-10 games in a row? If you are waiting for this team to be 100% healthy before placing expectations on them then they get a free ride forever.

(As an aside, I totally called the 'injuries' excuse for this year as the team finally used up most of the other ones.)

Another issue with injuries is that fact that the team is the author of their own demise when it comes to injuries over the years.

Like Hall the year before they failed to shut down RNH when they should have. Like every year one of our skilled guys gets taken out by some goof because this team has never had serious push back in that regard.

Old
10-31-2013, 02:15 PM
Beerfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian2 View Post
Hear hear

And Beerfish, maybe you should start bellyaching about the players themselves instead of this constant, non stop barrage of bullets at the GM and coach. Some of these players are just as much to blame, if not more, than MacT and Eakins. You're coming across like someone who just hates management in general, no matter who it is.
LOL WHO get the players? who drafts them? Who coaches them? Who creates a team dynamic.

However to make you happy I will do as you ask.

Beerfish Quote Oct 31, 2013 "This team is full of weak kneed wimps and scrubs! It's not the fault of management, the team president or the coaches!"

Gee......we are still 3rd last in the league, nothing has changed.

Old
10-31-2013, 02:22 PM
Hockey Nightmare

MacT also failed to address our goaltending in the offseason. He expresses doubts in Dubnyk and then signs...Labarbera?

Old
10-31-2013, 02:25 PM
Moose Coleman

Quote:
What would be your estimation of the number of teams in this league over a year that are 100% healthy for more than 5-10 games in a row? If you are waiting for this team to be 100% healthy before placing expectations on them then they get a free ride forever.
Doesn't really change the fact that your claim that the team looks like crap when 100% healthy is demonstrably false.

Quote:
(As an aside, I totally called the 'injuries' excuse for this year as the team finally used up most of the other ones.)
Yes it's just an excuse. Team should able to lose vast pieces of its top six and just roll on, right? Good grief.

Quote:
Another issue with injuries is that fact that the team is the author of their own demise when it comes to injuries over the years.

Like Hall the year before they failed to shut down RNH when they should have.
You're a doctor now?

Quote:
Like every year one of our skilled guys gets taken out by some goof because this team has never had serious push back in that regard
What would have kept Kassian from breaking Gagner's jaw or Gryba from kneeing Hall?

Closed Thread